PDA

View Full Version : Attempted double LEO assassination in California

Eurodriver
10-18-16, 08:13
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/10/18/california-officers-spared-after-gunmans-weapon-jams.html

A man wearing body armor pointed an assault rifle at two police officers in a California Starbucks, only to have the weapon malfunction before he fled and was shot by the officers nearby, police said Monday.

Wtf is going on in California?

Averageman
10-18-16, 09:11
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/10/18/california-officers-spared-after-gunmans-weapon-jams.html

Weapon malfunctioned, those guys were very lucky.

soulezoo
10-18-16, 09:13
It was reported locally that he had a 70 round drum magazine.

That couldn't be true because those were outlawed in CA years ago so everyone is safe from those horrible things.

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-18-16, 10:40
It was reported locally that he had a 70 round drum magazine.

That couldn't be true because those were outlawed in CA years ago so everyone is safe from those horrible things.

The Aurora shooter was tripped up by above standard cap magazines, IIRC. Sometimes Murphy is on your side.

Averageman
10-18-16, 11:16
Saved by TAPCO, or a Guardian Angel?

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-18-16, 11:44
Evidence would say that we should make mass shooters use these drums, rather than standard mags. They jam more than the are functional.

RazorBurn
10-18-16, 11:46
World is getting friggin' more and more nuts every day. Sounds like this PODS may have shot his own 2 year old son earlier too. Officers are lucky as hell, and I'm glad luck (guardian angel, etc...) was on their side.

From the Fox News article
Police said they did not know if Powell, who had a felony record of robbery and drug offenses, had expressed any anger toward police. Wait a second; he possibly had a high capacity drum, and was a felon in possesion of firearms. I thought all those Commiefornia gun laws prevented such a thing from happening.

Defaultmp3
10-18-16, 11:53
https://c8.staticflickr.com/6/5619/30324086351_1eeb0d06bd_o.jpg
I believe this was the weapon used. Pretty sure that's a Magpul D-60 as the drum.

MegademiC
10-18-16, 11:58
What's up with the duct tape? Maybe the gun jammed cause the castle nut wasn't staked/tight and he tried to secure with tape?

WickedWillis
10-18-16, 12:06
I believe this was the weapon used. Pretty sure that's a Magpul D-60 as the drum.

It's definitely a D60.

_Stormin_
10-18-16, 12:42
I just don't understand how these felons keep getting guns... I mean, there are laws against them buying guns, why aren't these laws being followed? Then the looks like an AOW with that forward grip, so clearly the ATF missed it too when he got his stamp for the weapon. Mind boggling...

Thank God those two officers get to go home to their families tonight.

donlapalma
10-18-16, 14:03

That belongs in the Gunsmithing Hall of Shame.

Jokes aside, those cops are damn lucky and I'm glad they live to see another day.

Endur
10-18-16, 14:33
I just don't understand how these felons keep getting guns... I mean, there are laws against them buying guns, why aren't these laws being followed? Then the looks like an AOW with that forward grip, so clearly the ATF missed it too when he got his stamp for the weapon. Mind boggling...

Thank God those two officers get to go home to their families tonight.

They literally have those hotel room gun salesman from the movies on the street. Except they are in line with the mouth breathers of the dumbest things heard at the gun store thread instead of the oober "cool" knowledgeable guy the movies present. They had it on Drugs INC. or Underworld INC., one of those.. Now where those salesman get them, that is the question. A portion of the firearms are literal knock-offs Chinese style, except knocked of in South America. They had that on those shows too. They were making 1911 clones, but terrible quality. I think they send guys to work in overseas plants, then bring them back to build them for trafficking purposes. They make them for pennies on the dollar, flip them for a good profit, and if they cross the border the price jumps even more. Similar to drugs.

nml
10-18-16, 15:27
Another Kalifornia Rehabilitation Success Story!

boggyboy72
10-18-16, 15:30
http://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2016/10/18/attempted-vallejo-police-assassination-failed-due-criminal-incompetence/?utm_source=badaily&utm_medi

From the story,

"The firearm, which has no legible serial number or manufacturing data on the lower receiver, was suffering from a common and obvious malfunction easily clearable by anyone with even a basic familiarity with firearms."

Looks like he had a FTE and didn't know how to clear it.

ETA,could the duct tape be holding the sling on?

Sam
10-18-16, 16:18
http://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2016/10/18/attempted-vallejo-police-assassination-failed-due-criminal-incompetence/?utm_source=badaily&utm_medi

From the story,

"The firearm, which has no legible serial number or manufacturing data on the lower receiver, was suffering from a common and obvious malfunction easily clearable by anyone with even a basic familiarity with firearms."

Looks like he had a FTE and didn't know how to clear it.

ETA,could the duct tape be holding the sling on?

If it's a failure to extract, that means he got at least one shot off.

So how many firearms/NFA laws did he break beside attempted murder?

1. Illegal SBR?
2. Or was it a "pistol" AR, if so, did he shouldered that thing?
3. Extra high :) capacity magazine?

The police officers were very lucky.

firefighter37
10-18-16, 16:39
It was probably a Bushmaster.

nml
10-18-16, 16:52
So how many firearms/NFA laws did he break beside attempted murder?

1. Illegal SBR?
2. Or was it a "pistol" AR, if so, did he shouldered that thing?
3. Extra high :) capacity magazine?I just checked California Department of Justice sentencing guidelines.

Two counts of attempted murder (1 year) each
Felon in possession of a firearm (Stern scolding, confiscation of firearm)
No bullet button (15 years)
Short barreled rifle (20 years)
Ultra ultra high high capacity magazine (30 years)
Vertical foregrip (40 years)

He will not be out for a long time!!!

Firefly
10-18-16, 16:59

Wanna bet?

SteyrAUG
10-18-16, 17:48

Illegal SBR in CA. Hope it at least had a bullet button.

With all that duct tape, I wonder if he could even access the charging handle well enough to clear a malfunction.

Duct tape should be the next "street cred" thing. We need to require rappers to start making videos where all of their guns are wrapped up with lots of duct tape.

SomeOtherGuy
10-18-16, 17:59
With all that duct tape, I wonder if he could even access the charging handle well enough to clear a malfunction.
Duct tape should be the next "street cred" thing. We need to require rappers to start making videos where all of their guns are wrapped up with lots of duct tape.

Absolutely. Duct tape is cool. Should also show off how awesome jams and jam clearing are.

"Yo Homey, do you even S.P.O.R.T.S.???"

SeriousStudent
10-18-16, 20:20
I am so glad to read the officers were unharmed. St Michael was certainly working overtime on that shift.

Sam
10-18-16, 20:23

If he claims loyalty to the hildabeast, Comey might even walk him out of jail personally.

26 Inf
10-18-16, 21:02
I am anxious to see the store video, if any.

My gut instinct tells me these guys got surprised, which should not have happened after the events of the last week.

w3453l
10-18-16, 21:22

But don't you know?

Bullet buttons only convert the gun into an ultra-fast-speed-reloading-30-caliber-per-second-baby-and-kitten-killing-machine.

Thank god they out lawed those things.

Gun must have jammed cause the duct tape was holding down the shoulder thing that goes up.

Firefly
10-18-16, 21:28
I'm not a big fan of eating at work but I do not think you should eat alone and that way someone is lookout.

I'm not saying be in Condition Kill 24/7 but a lot of people are in condition white too much lately. Happy trees and fluffy clouds. People forget: Your shift is not over until it is over.

Seeing some chick cop with sleestak Dolce and Gabana's on with coffee and a sack of mcmuffins in her hand as she blathers on her bluetooth does not inspire me.

Same with guys just being scenery. No. Openly greet and acknowledge everyone you make eye contact with.

Officer Presence is first and constant use of force. These people only go after people they think they can take or take by surprise.

Too many people get complacent.

These guys got lucky.

RioGrandeGreen
10-18-16, 22:53
That was funny but true Firefly.

AKDoug
10-18-16, 22:59
I wonder if that duct tape was to hold the stock on a pistol extension..

I'm glad the officers were o.k. We had an officer jumped and shot in Fairbanks the other day. Multiple shots to the legs, one to the body armor. Shrapnel from the body armor tore up his eye. Perp stole his car and escaped. Officer is in stable condition thank God.

MountainRaven
10-19-16, 00:10

It is a Pmag D-60.

And it doesn't look like the gun has a safety. Or sights. So I don't know why he bothered with the stock or the cheapo VFG, since he was probably just going to shoot from the hip anyway.

Might be that the stock was duct-taped on - an AR pistol with an AR pistol receiver extension and homey wasn't smart enough to figure out how to swap it out for the real deal, so he just duct-taped it.

Based on the barrel length and the muzzle device, it probably acted like a flashbang and scared the shit out of the perp as much as the targeted officers and everyone else in the area.

If reports are that it doesn't have any serialized information on it, I'm wondering if it was a shoddily completed 80% lower and the perp's lack of mechanical aptitude and ability resulted in the weapon's malfunctioning.

SteyrAUG
10-19-16, 01:59
I am anxious to see the store video, if any.

My gut instinct tells me these guys got surprised, which should not have happened after the events of the last week.

No matter who you are, it's hard to stay "on point" all the time no matter how much you know you need to be. And without fail, the moment you aren't watching everything...that's when shit happens. Glad they got lucky.

Moose-Knuckle
10-19-16, 05:34
Ah, another Black militant attempted to assassinate LEOs. Obama's war on police rages on . . .

Oh quick look over there Trump jaywalked back in 1983! Nothing to see here folks, no DOJ Civil Rights Division hate crime investigation to take place.

Sam
10-19-16, 06:17
Might be that the stock was duct-taped on - an AR pistol with an AR pistol receiver extension and homey wasn't smart enough to figure out how to swap it out for the real deal, so he just duct-taped it.
............, I'm wondering if it was a shoddily completed 80% lower and the perp's lack of mechanical aptitude and ability resulted in the weapon's malfunctioning.

If he was too stupid to figure out how to install a real carbine extension, then the 80% lower would have been waaaaaay over his head to even imagine.

My guess is the whole gun was junk and it plainly didn't work after one round.

Big A
10-19-16, 08:36
I'm not a big fan of eating at work but I do not think you should eat alone and that way someone is lookout.

I'm not saying be in Condition Kill 24/7 but a lot of people are in condition white too much lately. Happy trees and fluffy clouds. People forget: Your shift is not over until it is over.

Seeing some chick cop with sleestak Dolce and Gabana's on with coffee and a sack of mcmuffins in her hand as she blathers on her bluetooth does not inspire me.

Same with guys just being scenery. No. Openly greet and acknowledge everyone you make eye contact with. Can't do that anymore because it's racist

Officer Presence is first and constant use of force. These people only go after people they think they can take or take by surprise.

Too many people get complacent.

These guys got lucky.

That's awesome, lol.

Averageman
10-19-16, 08:59
Ooops...
When you want to own the narrative that Cops are out thee to kill people, this is what happens.
The media promoting the lies isn't being held accountable for their part in the division between Law Enforcement and the Public.
So when this continues will they finally be called on it?

Eurodriver
10-20-16, 11:11
I just checked California Department of Justice sentencing guidelines.

Two counts of attempted murder (1 year) each
Felon in possession of a firearm (Stern scolding, confiscation of firearm)
No bullet button (15 years)
Short barreled rifle (20 years)
Ultra ultra high high capacity magazine (30 years)
Vertical foregrip (40 years)

I know you're kidding, but I've got $20 that says he is not convicted of any state or federal weapons charges except MAYBE Felon in possession.

Definitely no charge for illegal SBR or state AW/magazine law.

nml
10-20-16, 13:24
I'd take that bet but not waiting around for conviction. They love their made up assault weapon word in California so I think they charge him with possessing "assault weapon". I think they also mention "armor piercing" ammo in the attempted murder charges because it was rifle ammo and sounds more scary to the sheep.

titsonritz
10-20-16, 14:15

Deputy killed in California; 4th officer slain in 2 weeks (http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/deputy-killed-in-california-4th-officer-slain-in-2-weeks/ar-AAj9UPP?li=AA4ZnC&ocid=spartanntp)

Modoc County sheriff's Deputy Jack Hopkins, 31, was fatally shot after deputies were called to a rural area near the Oregon border. Oct 19.

His death comes after two Palm Springs police officers were shot and killed Oct. 8 during a domestic disturbance call and after a Los Angeles County sheriff's sergeant was gunned down Oct. 6 in the high desert town of Lancaster while answering a burglary call.

RIP all, prayers out to their family and friends.

TAZ
10-20-16, 14:45
I know you're kidding, but I've got $20 that says he is not convicted of any state or federal weapons charges except MAYBE Felon in possession.

Definitely no charge for illegal SBR or state AW/magazine law.

Agree. The various weapons charges will most likely be the first to go bye bye during the pleading process.