PDA

View Full Version : Clearance ASC mags worth it?

Hamms
10-19-16, 00:52
I've got a decent stash of NHMTG and Pmags, more than I'll ever realistically need. But a local store has ASC aluminum 30rd mags with orange followers on clearance for $4 each. Is it worth it to drop a Benjamin or two on a pile of these, or are they crap mags and half of them will have issues and end up in the trash, making it not such a good deal?

RHINOWSO
10-19-16, 00:58
No, not IMO. Put the $ into quality mags.

TED
10-19-16, 02:32
I've got a decent stash of NHMTG and Pmags, more than I'll ever realistically need. But a local store has ASC aluminum 30rd mags with orange followers on clearance for $4 each. Is it worth it to drop a Benjamin or two on a pile of these, or are they crap mags and half of them will have issues and end up in the trash, making it not such a good deal?

Please PM me their contact info as I would like to get a few.

I'm using my post 9-11 GI Bill (only @ 70% though) to go to school right now and have no other income so money is very tight. This price is just to good for me not take a chance on.

THX

TED

PAJKRubicon
10-19-16, 21:35
My rifle came with an ASC mag. It works flawlessly but you can tilt the follower by hand if you push on the front (unlike magpul followers) and they're VERY hard to load and hand unload (slide the rounds out with your thumb). But like I said it has ran flawless even with steel case wolf. Not sure if they have different versions but mine is black with a bright orange follower.

Zirk208
10-19-16, 21:37
Buy a pile of them to sell on Nov. 9th.

PAJKRubicon
10-19-16, 21:40

VERY good point!! They'll be worth $50-75 overnight.

yat-yas
10-19-16, 22:00
The past three years I have bought several mags from them on the last day of "a trade show" for about $5 ea. Guess they didn't want to pack them home. I have 20, 30, and 40 Rd mags with different finishes and follower colors. Even got a 20 and 30 in FDE. I haven't tried all of them yet but the ones I have used have worked well during several range and desert trips

TED
10-20-16, 00:20
Unfortunately, everyone, I looked and the cheap mags are cheap because they are 5.45x39 mags.

Hamms
10-20-16, 05:12
They had both 5.45 and 5.56, but they don't do much internet ordering and probably don't show everything on their website.

223to45
10-20-16, 13:01
They had both 5.45 and 5.56, but they don't do much internet ordering and probably don't show everything on their website.
They had 5.45 mags on clearance ??

What website was this?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

titsonritz
10-20-16, 13:12
VERY good point!! They'll be worth $50-75 overnight.

Not to me they won't.

PaLEOjd
10-20-16, 18:26
I have several of the ASC aluminum and SS 30rd. mags with their orange follower that I bought dirt cheap at a gun show.
I've only ever used one of each at the range, both had issues feeding.

The problem is their follower design. While it appears to be a direct copy of Magpul, their spring attachment point is different. Instead of looping through a hole, the spring clips between a pinch point on the bottom of the follower that doesn't seem to hold the spring tight.
Not sure if it's bad luck but on both magazines I used the spring somehow became disconnected from the follower causing failures to feed. This happened several times and continued after crimping the attachment point tighter. After that I gave up, put them back in the box in storage and haven't gone near them since.

There is a reason they are selling for $4.00, stay away from them and stick with Okay, NHMTG for aluminum mags.
If you're planning on selling during a panic, go for it I guess. I personally would not feel right selling someone a product that doesn't function properly from my experience.

Sent from my iPhone6
via TapaTalk

wildcard600
10-20-16, 20:22
I've got two ASC alum mags and they work. Tossed the followers and put in magpul which is a definite improvement. Good range mags for $4.

I wouldn't buy a pile of them unless you want to try and flip them in the event of a panic, BUT if there is no panic you're stuck with a pile of kinda crappy magazines.

The cheapest good mags I have seen have been the 6.99 D&H mags PSA sells.

556BlackRifle
10-20-16, 21:28
Every once in a while Okay mags go on sale. I picked up a bunch for $7.99 no tax and free shipping last year.

RazorBurn
10-21-16, 10:33

Winner winner chicken dinner. I'd buy a pile of them just to flip!

PAJKRubicon
10-22-16, 18:56
Not to me they won't.

Because you were probably like 99% of us on here and were smart enough to buy a metric shit ton of good mags for cheap over the last few years. But to all the idiots out there (like several people I work with) that think they're "set" with their 3-5 mags they'll be buying these at whatever price people mark them at just like they were after sandy hook.

I've got one guy in particular that I work with that when I was telling him about some great deals on mags actually told me "I'd get some because that's a good deal but I've already got so many mags. I'll bet you I've got at least 15 mags maybe even close to 20" HA HA HA. I just shook my head and moved on.

Hamms
10-23-16, 10:18
I always promote others to buy quality gear, and yea I could probably quadruple the cost if there's a panic sale, but I'd also be pushing iffy mags. I'd rather buy 10 more Okay's now than 30 of these ASC's. I'll let the budget guys pick 'em up for cheap so if they are crap they are not out much. Standards, morals, karma, and what not. But if anyone still wants 'em they're on clearance at fleet farm stores.

RHINOWSO
10-23-16, 10:38
^^^^
Agreed. I bought 30 Surefeed Okay mags for $270 shipped and will gladly have them over 60-70 ASC mags.

Sure some people may not know the difference in a panic, but plenty will.

justin_247
10-23-16, 11:23
I have ASC 5.45 mags and I'm not impressed. My favorite mags are PMAGs, but they don't make them for 5.45.

RHINOWSO
10-23-16, 15:29
And so people know, the original C-products company had a split / falling out of the leadership; which resulted in the current C-Products and ASC.

IMO their stuff is underwhelming and the mags I had I sold off in short order several years ago.

3ACR_Scout
10-23-16, 17:42
^^^^
I bought 30 Surefeed Okay mags for $270 shipped and will gladly have them over 60-70 ASC mags.
I'm guessing that was a sale or one-time deal, but I'd love to know of a good, discounted source for Okay mags. The going rate on most sites seems to be about $12.50, but I'd love to find some for closer to $10. Thanks!

Dave

CPM
10-23-16, 17:46
FWIW I have had nothing but perfect function with the D&H mags PSA sells with magpul followers. So much so that now they are all I shoot with and the pmags get loaded and put into ammo cans until the parachutes appear.

223to45
11-14-16, 22:50
Well if any one is interested they have the 5.45 mags marked down to $2, on the their website..

But it says in select stores only. I tried to get them to sell to me, but they would.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk