PDA

View Full Version : X200A v. X200B

Submariner
10-14-06, 20:18
What is the best application for each one?

jmart
10-14-06, 22:57
200B throws a wider beam but isn't good for much distance.

200B for sidearms, 200A for carbines.

C4IGrant
10-15-06, 11:07
200B throws a wider beam but isn't good for much distance.

200B for sidearms, 200A for carbines.

I agree to a point. I don't view any LED's as a good choice for a Carbine as they lack any kind of throw.

The X200B is my choice for a HG as it will bathe a room in light and not leave any dark corners.

C4

X200B with DEVGRU switch and CT Laser Grip
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/G19%20X200B%20CT1.JPG

Submariner
10-15-06, 11:10
Very nice, grant. Thanks, gentlemen.

C4IGrant
10-15-06, 11:32
Very nice, grant. Thanks, gentlemen.

That weapon is what I leave with the wife as the back up to the main gun. Since she doesn't get to shoot very much, I wanted something that illuminated and designated a target just by squeezing the grip. The Glock in this config is just about perfect IMHO.

C4

jmart
10-15-06, 11:55
I agree to a point. I don't view any LED's as a good choice for a Carbine as they lack any kind of throw.

The X200B is my choice for a HG as it will bathe a room in light and not leave any dark corners.

C4

X200B with DEVGRU switch and CT Laser Grip
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/G19%20X200B%20CT1.JPG

I wasn't necessarily recommending a 200A as the best applictaion for a carbine, just that between the two the A model is better suited for carbines and the B model better suited for handguns.

Having said that, as a civilian when I think about likely uses for a white light I believe a 200A or a Streamlight TLR would suffice pretty nicely for property protecting "in the burbs" where I live. But if I were out in the county, I would have a different outlook.

One other point, I've never witnessed firsthand but from what I gather LED lights are poor in foggy or rainy conditions. Incandescants do a better job of penetrating through that stuff where LEDs almost behave like high beams in the snow or fog. Not sure if it has to do with the color of the light or if there's more lumens with incandescants, but I've seen it reported by knowledgable people enough times that I believe it. Again, just from what I gather.

C4IGrant
10-15-06, 13:00
I live out in the country so I need to be able to ID something out to at least 50yds.

It is true that LEDs do not do well against smoke (tested it myself).

C4

jmart
10-15-06, 13:01
I live out in the country so I need to be able to ID something out to at least 50yds.

C4

Speaking of your new locale, are you a Buckeye fan yet?

C4IGrant
10-15-06, 13:15
Speaking of your new locale, are you a Buckeye fan yet?

Never stopped being one! :D

C4

jmart
10-15-06, 13:57
Michigan looks tough. It will be an epic battle.

Submariner
10-15-06, 14:05

I live in the country as well; we generally use a SF 9v with large bezel and, finally, LT170's (found someone who would give me $55 for my ARMS mounts toward the purchase.:D ). Anyway, Boom made me a deal on on X200B that I could not refuse,

Sooo, I'm here trying to decide its highest and best use, given we have some X200A's. Looks like it will replace the light on the Glock 19 beside the bed. Maybe some Crimson Trace grips might appear on my Cristmas list. For my wife, of course.;)

C4IGrant
10-15-06, 14:06
Michigan looks tough. It will be an epic battle.

Always is! :D

C4

Policetacteam
10-17-06, 14:30
I agree with Grant! The X200B is an excellent light for indoor use. I currently use one on my duty issue Glock and for SWAT. The X200B will easily fully flood a room with light vs. the X200A which is more of a target specific light. I did not like the X200A because I wanted something to fully light up the target and the surrounding room. As for lighting up in a smokey room...my team recently tested out some new SCBA gear in a house that had been flooded, by the Fire Dept, with smoke. Needless to say using the light in a very smokey environment was like putting on your high beams in thick fog. It was definitely a wake up! It did not matter if I used my X200B or my M4 carbine light (Surefire incandescent). You could not see more than 1 - 2 feet in front. I'm not sure if this helps but good luck.

kcdreamer
10-17-06, 15:31
I had the chance to test both the A & B. I planned to use them on a Glock 22 for police duty use. Outside at normal search distances both worked fine with the 200A having the edge. Inside the 200a to my eyes had too much back throw with its beam in really dark rooms with light colored walls. Most of my light use is inside and for vehicle searches in daylight hours to light up under seats etc. I chose the 200B and have enjoyed it for the last almost year.

Policetacteam
11-04-06, 18:31
kcdreamer,

Am I understanding you right...you do your vehicle searches using your X200? Am I to assume that you are searching vehicles with your gun out or are you removing the light and using the light by its self? I am not trying to criticise but this seems not very safe or smart.