PDA

View Full Version : New AR - how to zero?

dBA
09-10-08, 17:45
I just received my LMT upper, BCG and LMT rear sight from Grant, attached all this to my lower, bought some Pmags, and now I want to hit the range. Not having much experience with rifles, I was wondering if someone could tell me or point me to a good article that explains how to zero the sight on my rifle. When sighting-in, I'll likely be shooting between 25-50yds. I tried reading "Lt Col Santose Improved Battlesight Zero" in the stickies section, but, being dumber than dirt, it didn't make much sense to me.

Anyone care to walk me through it?

Thanks

jmart
09-10-08, 18:42
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure this will work.

I'm not terribly familiar with the LMT BUIS but I believe it has a elevation wheel. Assuming it does, there's a little allen screw on the top of the wheel. Adjust elevation until it bottoms out, IIRC the wheel should read 3/8. Loosen screw and adjust wheel four clicks past the bottom. Then tighten screw. Leave it alone for the next steps.

Zero range is 50 yds.

Use small aperture.

Ake elevationa djustments on the front sight post only. Make windage adjustments using the windage on the BUIS.

Declare victory.

For longer ranges, adjust elevation wheel according to distance.

For close in stuff, use the large aperture. Shoot it a bunch so you get a feel for the POI shift between the small and large apertures. You also should be aware of offset for really close in stuff. Bullet impact will be well below LOS based on the relationship between the sights and the bore. Make a mental note and hold high for close in stuff.

If the LMT doesn't have an elevation wheel, ignore what I said up front and just make elevation adjustments using the FSP.

dBA
09-10-08, 19:44
Thanks jmart.

I guess my next question is, how do I adjust the front sight? Do I need a special tool?

jmart
09-10-08, 20:08
Yes. It's called a front sight adjustment tool. :eek: Seriously.

There are A1 models (5-prong) and A2 models (4-prong). Get the A2 model.

In a pinch you may be able to use a punch or bullet tip and some needle nose pliers, but I've never tried it. Others can chime in on makeshift methods. But the tool is the right way to go.

spamsammich
09-11-08, 02:09
I just set up my brother's LMT buis rear sight for the 50 yd ibz. The wheel will read 6/3 when bottomed out and there are twice as many clicks between settings compared to a standard A2 sight so when you bottom the elevation wheel out, you need to loosen the set screw and dial back -4 clicks from 6/3. The original IBZ method is -2 clicks from 8/3.

This worked perfectly for my brother's sight at 25 yards and 50 yards. I haven't checked it at 200 meters yet.

Ridge_Runner_5
09-11-08, 16:27
You dont need a tool to adjust the front sight...the tip of a bullet or a pin or punch will work just as fine, but you will have to get your fingers in there to turn the post...I ended up buying a front sight tool anyways...