PDA

View Full Version : Optic for my Colt 901 308

ExplorinInTheWoods
10-20-16, 06:52
So I have a Colt 901 308, I like it got it for hog hunting and I've also never had a 308 AR until now. When I first got it I was using my VCOG on it, it's a 223 VCOG that is going on a build at christmas. I used the VCOG to get a feel for how I would like a VCOG on it before dropping money on a 308 VCOG. I picked up a 3-9 accupower and put it on there for some accuracy testing and I got a good deal on the accupower. I'm kind of torn on what to do with the rifle, make it a battle rifle and use a 1-4/6 on it or make it a DMR/CSASS rifle. The rifle handled very well when I had the VCOG shooting off hand and kneeling at targets from 50-200. When I did accuracy testing it was off a wobbly platic walmart folding table with only a front sandbag so I want to get a sturdy table and rear bag to see what it really does under ideal circumstances. With 147 gr turkish FMJ it was like a 2.5 inch group with federal 168 gold match it was around an inch for both groups, with hornady 155 american gunner it was an inch group then a ragged hole group. I would like some suggestions for Optics, list on for a battle rifle option and if you think I should ditch the accupower for a DMR/CSASS style let me know what optic is a better one in your opinion. RED DOTS NEED NOT APPLY.

mildot
10-20-16, 07:10
I'm running a Leupold Mark 6 1-6.

http://i.imgur.com/OpdU64J.jpg

ExplorinInTheWoods
10-20-16, 16:42
What reticle are you using and how is the weight on that thing?

mildot
10-20-16, 21:52
It's the "standard" Leupold 308 reticle, CMR-W 7.62. Weight and balance is no different than with the collapsible stock. I prefer the "cheek weld" with the A2.

ExplorinInTheWoods
10-22-16, 15:30
That reticle is a little busy to me, I'm kind of thinking about keeping my 3-9 on it for the time being. A TR25 does seem like a good option as well.

MartinOwen
10-24-16, 09:10
The Leupold Mark 6 1-6 is actually a pretty good choice. They are some of the best (http://perfectriflescope.com/the-best-scope-for-your-308-rifle/) scopes for .308 rifles in general. It's also waterproof, although it's hard to find a scope that isn't.

darr3239
10-24-16, 10:34
My son has a Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44 on his. We figured we didn't need any more magnification on a 16" barreled rifle, but wanted more than a 4 or 6 to take advantage of the 7.62. It's a very accurate rifle.

You also don't have to empty the bank account to get a "decent" scope for most uses.

Failure2Stop
10-24-16, 13:16
That reticle is a little busy to me, I'm kind of thinking about keeping my 3-9 on it for the time being. A TR25 does seem like a good option as well.
The CMR-W isn't simple, but I think it unfairly dismissive to call it "busy".
Most of the parts of the CMR-W are immediately usable, and needed.
While it isn't my reticle of choice, there is nothing that distracts the user from rapid application of the reticle.
If you are shooting past 200 meters with any expectation of precision/accuracy without lasing and dialing, the features of the reticle are essential.
Inside 200, all I care about is the horseshoe and dot, and inside 100 I will likely be on 1x with illum, and it is simply a tidy dot at such.

gaijin
10-24-16, 17:19
I run a 1X8, Primary Arms (Platinum) on my AR-10.
The optic is heavy, so is the AR.
The 1X8 has been a good compromise for the 16" barreled .308 for my use.