PDA

View Full Version : User Beware: Potential Issue with Magpul LR Sight / Geissele Charging Handle

TexasAggie2005
10-21-16, 15:00
Spent the morning shooting, and I noticed this;

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161021/5ecd4a818fbd618e79a1042e25e446df.jpg

Looking closer, it appears that the ears of the Magpul LR rear sight overhangs the upper's edge, and let's the Geissele Charging Handle lip contact it. The rear sight is undamaged, but the charging handle obviously has some gouges in it.

edited to add: upper receiver is a Colt

Eurodriver
10-21-16, 16:35
Are those deep? They look no more significant than the gouging that occurs on the lower receiver from the charging handle.

daniel87
10-21-16, 17:22
Why cant you mount the rear sight forward a slot or two

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

TexasAggie2005
10-21-16, 17:44
Are those deep? They look no more significant than the gouging that occurs on the lower receiver from the charging handle.
Deep enough that aluminum was gouged out, not just anodizing rubbed off.

Why cant you mount the rear sight forward a slot or two

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
I could. I didn't notice the interference before shooting and the damage occurring.

Of course this wouldn't have happened at all if I had used either a standard Pro rear or a mil-spec charging handle.

RHINOWSO
10-21-16, 17:50
So it's more of a beware how you install your rear sight, not a buyer beware?

I'll send you my address and I'll take the Geissele charging handle off your hands, maybe even trade for a milspec one I have laying around? ;)

Iraqgunz
10-21-16, 17:51
Not sure why this is a "Buyer Beware" when it seems more like a "User Beware" issue when moving the sight would most likely have solved the issue.

TexasAggie2005
10-21-16, 17:53
So it's more of a beware how you install your rear sight, not a buyer beware?

I'll send you my address and I'll take the Geissele charging handle off your hands, maybe even trade for a milspec one I have laying around? ;)
I guess. Or a "buyer beware, if you use these products in a normal manner, it won't work out well."

TexasAggie2005
10-21-16, 17:55
Not sure why this is a "Buyer Beware" when it seems more like a "User Beware" issue when moving the sight would most likely have solved the issue.
Okay. I can't edit title from Tapatalk, or I would.

RHINOWSO
10-21-16, 18:51
Funny, not to be argumentative, but I check for things like that when I set my rifles up - sometimes the rear sight gets bumped forward, sometimes it gets taken off due to magnifier use, magnified optic placement, what have you.

The Geissele Super charging handle is awesome IMO, as are Magpul sights.

BFS
10-21-16, 19:00
Dunno. Seems like a legit gripe. There's interference while using known good quality parts in a totally normal manner.

I would guess if BG saw this they would probably change their dimensions by a few thou to solve the issue for future production runs.

JC5188
10-21-16, 19:23
Dunno. Seems like a legit gripe. There's interference while using known good quality parts in a totally normal manner.

I would guess if BG saw this they would probably change their dimensions by a few thou to solve the issue for future production runs.

There are tons of things that won't just "plug and play" with every possible config. IMO, its incumbent on the user to ensure the recipe they use will work.

The charging handle was engineered to work with the rifle and its dimensions, and it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

williejc
10-21-16, 19:25
It's good information because it reminds us to double inspect. Before reading the post, I would have assumed that the event would not have happened.

556BlackRifle
10-21-16, 20:06
Can you take a pic of the sight overhang from the side view with the CH pulled out?

TexasAggie2005
10-21-16, 20:09
Can you take a pic of the sight overhang from the side view with the CH pulled out?
Yeah, I'll take one tomorrow.

Apec
10-21-16, 20:51
IMO, the Magpul sight is the problem. If I'm looking at the right model, there's just way too much unnecessary bulk/material around the aperture. You'd probably have the same issue with any gas sealing CH (Armageddon Tactical, etc) that has a lip hanging over the receiver.

Skyyr
10-21-16, 22:35
This is what happens when you deviate from milspec.

A milspec charging handle has dimensions that preclude this from happening.

Nothing wrong with Geissele, nothing wrong with Magpul; but, when you deviate from milspec, it is no longer guaranteed plug and play.

Ned Christiansen
10-21-16, 23:31
With so many brands and variations of a given accessory / upgrade part, compatability is never a given. It’s not a quality or design issue, it’s simply that not every version / variant of every part will fit under / over / alongside everything else.

Edit: not that it's never a quality or design issue..... there is much out there that comes up short in one or both of those. I don't see that being the case here, though.

mjpgolf1
10-22-16, 06:14
This is what happens when you deviate from milspec.

A milspec charging handle has dimensions that preclude this from happening.

Nothing wrong with Geissele, nothing wrong with Magpul; but, when you deviate from milspec, it is no longer guaranteed plug and play.

Yeah but milspec charging handles suck, as do lots of other "mil spec" parts now compared to other options. But this is a good reminder to check check and double check.

RHINOWSO
10-22-16, 09:50

Oh the HORROR of straying from the milspec life!

Skyyr
10-22-16, 10:35
Oh the HORROR of straying from the milspec life!

lol. Sorry, maybe I came across wrong - I certainly don't believe that components should be limited to milspec parts. I just find it funny when people put aftermarket non-milspec parts (regardless of their quality) and then complain that they conflict with other non-milspec parts. We've gotten so used to plug-and-play and a market flooded with quality aftermarket parts that we've forgetten that milspec is the golden standard for a reason - it was designed for reliability and compatibility. Deviate from it and you're not guaranteed it will work with your other components. That was all my comment was meant to imply.

I'm surprised that the top of the Geissele charging handle protrudes that high above the base of the receiver.

TexasAggie2005
10-22-16, 10:52
Here are couple more pics.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161022/795d24c49b92c199bfce7160f62acaa6.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161022/d6e612ae56b9baa40493822b71383eef.jpg

RHINOWSO
10-22-16, 11:04
lol. Sorry, maybe I came across wrong

You didn't, my comment was thick with sarcasm. :D

556BlackRifle
10-22-16, 11:07
Here are couple more pics.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161022/795d24c49b92c199bfce7160f62acaa6.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161022/d6e612ae56b9baa40493822b71383eef.jpg

Thank you for posting the new pics. In you first pics, it looked like the sights were striking the handle lower than it actually is. Now I can clearly see what the problem is. Do you have room to move the rear sight forward by one notch or is there an optic / mount in the way?

TexasAggie2005
10-22-16, 11:16
Thank you for posting the new pics. In you first pics, it looked like the sights were striking the handle lower than it actually is. Now I can clearly see what the problem is. Do you have room to move the rear sight forward by one notch or is there an optic / mount in the way?
No problem. I could move the sight forwards a notch, but it's already zeroed and I don't want to mess with it.

I'm just going to dremal out the gouges to smooth them up, put something on to protect the bare aluminum, and roll with it as is. The use and action of either part is not being impaired, so I'm just going to chalk this up to a lesson learned the hard way.

26 Inf
10-22-16, 12:13
You said 'something' to protect the bare aluminum.

This works pretty good for me - https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/Refinishing/Metal-Finishing/Aluminum-Black-Touch-Up.aspx

Unfortunately, they don't sell it in gallons for the dexterously impaired individual such as myself.

Most local gun stores carry it.

Anybody use something else?

TexasAggie2005
10-22-16, 13:41
You said 'something' to protect the bare aluminum.

This works pretty good for me - https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/Refinishing/Metal-Finishing/Aluminum-Black-Touch-Up.aspx

Unfortunately, they don't sell it in gallons for the dexterously impaired individual such as myself.

Most local gun stores carry it.

Anybody use something else?
Thanks, I think a buddy has a container of that.

mjpgolf1
10-22-16, 14:20
lol. Sorry, maybe I came across wrong - I certainly don't believe that components should be limited to milspec parts. I just find it funny when people put aftermarket non-milspec parts (regardless of their quality) and then complain that they conflict with other non-milspec parts. We've gotten so used to plug-and-play and a market flooded with quality aftermarket parts that we've forgetten that milspec is the golden standard for a reason - it was designed for reliability and compatibility. Deviate from it and you're not guaranteed it will work with your other components. That was all my comment was meant to imply.

I'm surprised that the top of the Geissele charging handle protrudes that high above the base of the receiver.

Yeah the very thing that got damaged from sticking up so high is also very helpful when shooting to help keep gas out of the face. The Geissele is the best of the BCM Gunfighter and the AXTS Raptor mixed in one.

556BlackRifle
10-22-16, 15:04
No problem. I could move the sight forwards a notch, but it's already zeroed and I don't want to mess with it.

I'm just going to dremal out the gouges to smooth them up, put something on to protect the bare aluminum, and roll with it as is. The use and action of either part is not being impaired, so I'm just going to chalk this up to a lesson learned the hard way.

That's a good solution. Hopefully the shift is minimal. As for the gouges, as 26 Inf mentioned; Alumablack or you could just get a black Sharpie and touch it up that way.

Stickman
10-24-16, 14:25

It happens with multiple brands of offset sights where they can make contact. It is just how it is unless you want to move them forward, which may or may not be an issue depending on equipment issues and user preference.

I had offset sights on a few weapons, that eventually got to feel they were just about the most useless thing on the weapon, so I pulled them. I'll happily point out that is my own personal experience, and that everyone else out there is going to have their own uses and needs. Currently, I have no legit use or need.

hk_shootr
10-24-16, 14:47

Zero would be effected very little....move it forward a notch, touch up the handle and get back to shootin!

TexasAggie2005
10-24-16, 16:55
It happens with multiple brands of offset sights where they can make contact. It is just how it is unless you want to move them forward, which may or may not be an issue depending on equipment issues and user preference.

I had offset sights on a few weapons, that eventually got to feel they were just about the most useless thing on the weapon, so I pulled them. I'll happily point out that is my own personal experience, and that everyone else out there is going to have their own uses and needs. Currently, I have no legit use or need.

Agree regarding offset sights, but just wanted to note that my issue is not with offsets, but the Magpul MBUS Pro Long Range rear sight.

Zero would be effected very little....move it forward a notch, touch up the handle and get back to shootin!

True, but the damage is already done and won't get worse, so I don't see a need to move anything now.

Stickman
10-24-16, 18:32
Agree regarding offset sights, but just wanted to note that my issue is not with offsets, but the Magpul MBUS Pro Longe Range rear sight.

True, but the damage is already done and won't get worse, so I don't see a need to move anything now.

Grabbing the handle on both sides is also an issue that is becoming apparent for some people, especially under stress. Regular handed people who blade won't see it happen though.

MountainRaven
01-14-19, 19:16
Sorry for the necro, but does anyone know if there is a similar issue with the non-LR MBUS Pro rear and Geissele charging handles?

Thanks!

TexasAggie2005
01-14-19, 21:20
Sorry for the necro, but does anyone know if there is a similar issue with the non-LR MBUS Pro rear and Geissele charging handles?

Thanks!

None at all.