PDA

View Full Version : 11.5 Upper + 10.5 Rail + Foward Mounted Elzetta Alpha = Adverse Muzzle Blast Issues?

Jellybean
10-22-16, 14:29
I genuinely have no idea whether to put this in NFA, Lights/Lasers, or AR General, so... Lights it is.
I'll let the mods sort it out. ;)

I've seen the previous threads on muzzle blast + lights here, and I have an idea in mind for an alternate choice, but I want to ask this specifically in reference to the Elzetta Alpha.

Backstory- Putting together an AR pistol. It's going to have an 11.5 barrel and 10.5" M-Lok rail. Overall goal is to keep this thing as SUPER light and slim as possible, so accordingly I went looking for the smallest, lightest weapon light or light+mount combo I could find.
Obviously, the Elzetta Alpha caught my eye, along with an Arisaka Inline Mlok ring mount. Good lumen output, stupid light/slim, overall price good- Looks like just the ticket.

However, it's going on a short barrel, and the bezel of the light is going to end up either next to or real close to the muzzle. I don't use comps, so I won't be exacerbating the issue, but since short barrels have more kablooey at the end anyway.... here's my question;

Given that the Elzetta Alpha uses the Cree XPG-2 behind an acrylic lens, am I going to have issues with muzzle blast?
If it was the usual Malkoff Arisaka/Elzetta or Surefire Scout, I wouldn't be stressing (per the other muzzle blast light threads), but the Cree stuff is plastic...
Am I going to kill this light running it next to a short barrel?

Mrgunsngear
10-23-16, 07:47
I genuinely have no idea whether to put this in NFA, Lights/Lasers, or AR General, so... Lights it is.
I'll let the mods sort it out. ;)

I've seen the previous threads on muzzle blast + lights here, and I have an idea in mind for an alternate choice, but I want to ask this specifically in reference to the Elzetta Alpha.

Backstory- Putting together an AR pistol. It's going to have an 11.5 barrel and 10.5" M-Lok rail. Overall goal is to keep this thing as SUPER light and slim as possible, so accordingly I went looking for the smallest, lightest weapon light or light+mount combo I could find.
Obviously, the Elzetta Alpha caught my eye, along with an Arisaka Inline Mlok ring mount. Good lumen output, stupid light/slim, overall price good- Looks like just the ticket.

However, it's going on a short barrel, and the bezel of the light is going to end up either next to or real close to the muzzle. I don't use comps, so I won't be exacerbating the issue, but since short barrels have more kablooey at the end anyway.... here's my question;

Given that the Elzetta Alpha uses the Cree XPG-2 behind an acrylic lens, am I going to have issues with muzzle blast?
If it was the usual Malkoff Arisaka/Elzetta or Surefire Scout, I wouldn't be stressing (per the other muzzle blast light threads), but the Cree stuff is plastic...
Am I going to kill this light running it next to a short barrel?

If you're asking if it'll hurt the light -- no, it's an Elzetta.

If you're asking if it'll deposit carbon on the lens - no real way to know until you do it.

Jellybean
10-24-16, 11:25
Ok, good to know. Pretty much what I figured, but given it's not the usual Malkoff module in that version, had to ask anyway. :o
I'm not worried about carbon deposit- have an X300 on my Glock, and I just rub some chapstick on it. Comes right off afterwards.

NWS
11-05-16, 09:21
The Alpha is bomb proof. You will have no issues. I have one on my 11.5" SBR and it's fine after a lot of rounds.

http://i.imgur.com/uxTwEyK.jpg