PDA

View Full Version : What kind of tac vests and gear you guys suggest with your non-AR rifles?

RetroRevolver77
10-23-16, 13:21
deleted

MountainRaven
10-23-16, 13:41
I have a D3CR-H that I used with my 308 magazines (haven't tried it with MR762/HK417 magazines yet, but I suspect they'll be tight) and a D3CR (I'd use a D3CR-X if I were doing it over again) for everything intermediate - AK, AR, &c.

Both products are well-made and constructed in the US of US materials.

However, both have open-top magazine pouches, using removable bungees and rare earth magnets in the pistol magazine pouches to retain them (and multitools, knives, or anything else you can stuff in them) and removable bungees to 100% retain rifle magazines with (optional) kydex inserts to retain them via friction. No adjustments are necessary, in my experience, to get them to fit any of the varieties of magazine that each individual unit is supposed to work with.

Unless you're jumping out of an airplane, I'd probably just buy the kydex inserts and use them to retain the rifle magazines.

I'm pretty sure this belongs in the Tactical Gear forum, though.

RetroRevolver77
11-08-16, 13:24
deleted

1911-A1
11-08-16, 13:50
I have a couple First Spear rigs. One sized for .308 mags, and one for 5.56. I also have a BFG warbelt as well as a Chicom bib for AK mags.

lawusmc0844
11-08-16, 14:33
Yes this should be under the tactical gear thread, hopefully the mods will move it.

I use the HSP D3CR-H as well, bought it when HSP had their "Republic" sale last year. I bought it before owning an AK and I'm glad I did as I love its versatility, and now that my buddy just got a PTR-91, I have a rig that can fit AR, AK and now G3 mags. I took out the bungees and got the MP2 Kydex inserts. However, the MP2 provides almost zero retention, and my Chinese and Bulgarian steel mags get stuck if inserted rounds down because of the reinforcement plate getting caught in the notches in the bottom of the MP2. Fortunately I have 4 ESSTAC KYWI inserts laying around that were for the Mayflower Gen 4 556 chest rig I sold off (that rig is too tight for even PMAGs!) The KYWIs stick out of the mag cells a little but provide much better retention and I get a more positive click when mags are inserted. Haven't had the KYWIs pulled out along with the mag and best of all my mil surplus steel AK mags aren't getting stuck anymore!

These days I use my Chinese military Type 81 chest rig more often than my D3CR-H. Its very durable, combat proven, quiet, easily upgradable (I run ITW Fastex buckles on the rear straps, makes things much easier) and best of all very affordable. It will obviously fit 4 AK mags and I found they work great with AR mags as well! 4 PMAGs work of course but I can fit 2 USGI and Lancer AWM mags in each cell for a total of 8 mags if I wanted to! Its an improvement to the Type 56 rig, the grandfather of modern chest rigs we use today, and still a viable option in my opinion. Only downside is it won't work with 7.62x51mm mags, but thats what my Type 63 rig is for lol. The Type 63 works best with AR and AK 20 round mags. Will work with G3 mags as well but it will be a very tight fit.

TAG makes good stuff but I wasn't too impressed with their Gladiator Chest Rig, ended up selling it at a loss which still annoys me. It was a well made rig but the mag cells and bungees are very tight so it was only good for AR mags, and the side buckles were a bitch to secure while wearing a plate carrier. I had the rig shortened at the sides and it was still hard to buckle the side straps. Im happy with my D3CR-H, Type 63 and 81 rigs but TAG's Rifleman chest rig looks tempting, hopefully the 4 main pouches can take 7.62 mags as well.

MountainRaven
11-08-16, 20:53
I found that bungies work fine on 7.62 AK mags, provided that you can "split" them and put them around the bottom corner of the magazine.

Wake27
11-08-16, 21:46
Mayflower Pusher chest rit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stickman
11-08-16, 23:45
I'm still a large fan of a good LBE, that being said, mag pouches are rather subjective based on what you are doing. Closed pouches make a lot of sense for most uses so snow, mud, and assorted garbage isn't getting clogged or mags aren't getting lost.

RetroRevolver77
11-09-16, 11:44
deleted

Dave L.
11-20-16, 15:40
Get some type of low-pro plate carrier that uses the swift clip system and get MOLLE chestrigs to velcro/clip on, and use HSGI TACO mag pouches since they are adjustable for whatever you want. I've got a couple of the Tyr Tactical knock-off TACO-style pouches and they are nice too, but over-priced and over-built for what you get.

For 308 specific though, I have dedicated 308 chestrigs, but only because TACO's took a while to grow on me.

bighawk
11-20-16, 17:40
HSGI tacos are not closed top but you can use them with pretty much any rifle magazine. They are all I use and you can quickly adjust the tension depending on what mags you are using.

HMM
11-20-16, 18:14
I use the HSGI tacos as well, don't really have to adjust depending on the handgun I'm using. I range from a Sig P226, Kimber 1911 to a Glock 19. Getting foreign material in anything hasn't been an issue for me but I'm not crawling around in the muck either. Even the training classes that have had me on the floor have been relatively clean and indoors. Something to consider tho depending on your expected environment!