PDA

View Full Version : States with restricted magazine capacity question

1859sharps
10-23-16, 19:36
Are there any states with magazine capacity restrictions that allow "pre ban" magazines to be still be purchased?

Doing some Googling and the answer seems to be no...yet a couple states I could not find a clear answer. However, I figured the members here would know for sure.

Reason I ask, California as you probably know has outlawed possession of "large capacity" magazines. I happen to have some AR and Mini 14 magazines that are new in the wrapper from the very early 90s before any magazine laws were passed. IF there is a way for someone in another state that has bans on new production only to legally buy these (assuming such a situation exists), I would like to give them first shot at these magazines.

price would be fair, and full details and picture would get posted in the items to sell forum. I don't have enough posts to ask in the General discussion section, and this was the next closest forum hence me asking here.

remington79
10-23-16, 20:05
Colorado will let you. A few years ago Colorado enacted a capacity limit of 15 or 20 rounds. However they still let you keep your regular standard capacity magazines. A lot of people just cross the border to other states to buy them now. It should also be nothed that a lot of the Sheriff's aren't enforcing the law.

bobco
10-23-16, 20:24
It is illegal in Colorado to transfer any mag over 15 rounds or to bring any 15+ round mag into the state. IF you had mags prior to the ban you are allow to keep them, but you are not allowed to transfer them ever. As an example I can't give them to my kids, although I transfered quite a few to them prior to the law taking effect. While the law is not enforced and even some retail shops display and sell 20 and 30 round mags to anyone it's still not legal.

Mx702
10-23-16, 22:25
Massachusetts does.

...for now:rolleyes:

ST911
10-23-16, 22:25
Some of our Massachusetts members had navigated these waters, perhaps they will chime in.

jpmuscle
10-23-16, 22:28
NY does not because the SAFEact made everyone safer..

The FNG
10-24-16, 00:57
Washington is good to go with for now. Probably not much longer, but for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HMM
10-24-16, 06:28
How could one prove they had a grandfathered mag?

BBossman
10-24-16, 08:13

Since 1994, many magazines have "freshness dates" stamped or molded into the bodies.

Here in Maryland, it is illegal to sell or transfer a magazine of more than 10 rounds capacity, but full capacity magazines are legal to possess. As long as you purchase and take possession of them out of the state they are legal to bring back behind the lines.

I know, stupid...

340pd
10-24-16, 09:15
Depending on how the election goes, mags may become an issue. I suspect mag capacities are on top of the list. If so, I guarantee they will attempt an outright ban rather than any sort of grandfather clause which Californians are now dealing with. Go vote people and take a busload of others with you.

556BlackRifle
10-24-16, 09:33
Depending on how the election goes mags may become an issue. I suspect mag capacities are on top of the list. If so, I guarantee they will attempt an outright ban rather than any sort of grandfather clause which Californians are now dealing with. Go vote people and take a busload of others with you.

Sadly, I suspect you are correct. In Kalifornia they can't even modify the 30 to only hold 10 rounds. Guess it looks too scary. :(

titsonritz
10-24-16, 19:06
As long as you purchase and take possession of them out of the state they are legal to bring back behind the lines.

I know, stupid...

That is know as a loop hole, something to eliminate on their next "victory".

HMM
10-24-16, 20:10
I've sunk some cash into Pmags, got a whole tub full of mags still in the wrapper. I'd be pissed if my investment was automatically outlawed by the stroke of a pen... But I will not be surprised if she gets in and tries to make it happen...

Guess I need to check the ones I have in rotation for markings/dates stamped on them.

DEPUTY346
10-24-16, 20:30
NY does not because the SAFEact made everyone safer..

So safe that most of the Sheriff's are not enforcing the law either. Just Troopers.

1859sharps
10-24-16, 20:31

as already stated since '94 lots of new production has a date stamped on them.

The magazines I have 92 written on the packaging, but not by me. Didn't even remember that was there until I dug them out this year. At the federal level it was generally assumed that any non date stamped magazines are "pre ban". Another is when a manufacture went out of production or business.

I also have some 20rd colt mags that by their characteristics are pretty easy to prove as "pre ban".

Linebacker
10-24-16, 21:09
I've sunk some cash into Pmags, got a whole tub full of mags still in the wrapper. I'd be pissed if my investment was automatically outlawed by the stroke of a pen... But I will not be surprised if she gets in and tries to make it happen...

Guess I need to check the ones I have in rotation for markings/dates stamped on them.

Why would their value to you change?

remington79
10-24-16, 21:36
I don't think they put dates on mags anymore. I know they did during the 94-04 time period but after that they've stopped. I've bought many standard capacity mags for various items since 2004 and none of them have any dates stamped on them. A couple of years ago CT made just about everything illegal. Mags that people up there that were grandfathered in. Then after the newest round of insanity after Sandy Hook they made it so people had to register their mags and most semi auto rifles that they called "assault rifles." The Fudds didn't care at first until they found out when getting ready for hunting season that they now needed a license to purchase ammo.

556BlackRifle
10-25-16, 00:36
I don't think they put dates on mags anymore. I know they did during the 94-04 time period but after that they've stopped. I've bought many standard capacity mags for various items since 2004 and none of them have any dates stamped on them. A couple of years ago CT made just about everything illegal. Mags that people up there that were grandfathered in. Then after the newest round of insanity after Sandy Hook they made it so people had to register their mags and most semi auto rifles that they called "assault rifles." The Fudds didn't care at first until they found out when getting ready for hunting season that they now needed a license to purchase ammo.

Magpul has the month and year of manufacture recorded on each mag as does Okay. There may be others as well.

BBossman
10-25-16, 03:51
Magpul has the month and year of manufacture recorded on each mag as does Okay. There may be others as well.

I have Colt 20 and 30's stamped with dates from as late as 2012... the last time I bought magazines.

Iraqgunz
10-25-16, 05:26
Incorrect. Many mags are still date coded, USGI mags and Magpul PMAG's come to mind right off the bat.

MWT
10-25-16, 06:34
Incorrect. Many mags are still date coded, USGI mags and Magpul PMAG's come to mind right off the bat.
Lancer mags are also date coded.

sed
10-25-16, 06:58
Lancer mags are also date coded.
Hex mags are date stamped as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Alex V
10-25-16, 09:14
No such thing as pre-ban anything in NJ. If it doesn't comply there is no grandfathering. The one good thing about 15 round mags: you get to practice your reloads more.

If that bitch pushes through another ban, I doubt they will make the same mistakes they made in '94. There will be no grandfathering or sunset this time. With the SCOTUS changes, there will be no challenge to it for 30+ years either.

dreamcrusher8307
10-25-16, 09:20
Hex mags are date stamped as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

All the Brownells I've picked up have had date codes. Most recent are some 20 rounders dated 3/16.

To the OP, I've wondered this too though, because I found a box of new in wrapper USGIs dated 86 and as a prior NYer thought that sending them to those behind enemy lines would be worthwhile.

1859sharps
10-25-16, 20:17
All the Brownells I've picked up have had date codes. Most recent are some 20 rounders dated 3/16.

To the OP, I've wondered this too though, because I found a box of new in wrapper USGIs dated 86 and as a prior NYer thought that sending them to those behind enemy lines would be worthwhile.

I was pretty sure the answer is no, there is not a way to do this legally. but NY and MA those two i couldn't find a definitive. I suspect the SAFE act ended any legal way to acquire new "pre ban" mages for NY, but I am still not clear on MA. Be a little surprised if there was a legal way for someone to acquire "pre ban" mags, but if there was I am willing to give them first shot.

even if we don't find an answer, I appreciate everyone's taking a peek at the thread.

as for future Federal Bans. as long as one house stays about the same as it is now, odds are pretty slim a ban will pass. expansion of background checks maybe, but not bans. if both houses flip...all bets are off and we are sure to see a ban. BUT confiscation via the fed just won't happen at this time. it will be some variation of the 94 ban. maybe something more like California were it was semi auto + pistol grip + 1 other feature = ban, but you can keep...just not sell, trade, put in will etc.

again, thank you all for your time.