PDA

View Full Version : Ported model Glocks?

Jaysop
10-26-16, 19:35
So I'm in the market for G17 and a guy says he can get a Gen4 G17c.
I've always thought they were pretty cool but I've never shot or handled one. I know it's supposed to be slightly better for recoil but is there really a benefit?

It'll be replacing my bedside gun, maybe try out some gun games with it. Not a carry gun though.

Price is pretty much the same as the regular model so it's not really a cost issue.
Thoughts?

erdyalx
10-26-16, 19:43
Porting is such a hot topic. I personally like porting typically. But I think the Glock style is very good. It didn't obstruct vision and made an easy shooting gun even easier.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

_Stormin_
10-26-16, 19:49
The "C" model Glocks seem to be a tough find these days new in the box, but I have seen the 17C around. I used to have a 20C and sold it. I regretted it from the second day, and have not been able to find another new model in spite of a good search.

Is the gun going to be used for range work, a carry piece, etc??? More info about the use of the gun gives some perspective. If the price is right I would be picking it up.

Jaysop
10-26-16, 19:56
Well like I said, it'll mostly be my bedside gun but I would also like to get into some light competition shooting. And I'd probably use that as it'll be the longest sight radius I'll have.

Mr. Greene
10-26-16, 19:58
I believe the"C" models are going away. I remember hearing that at shot show awhile back. I've never cared for ported pistols but that's just me

Jaysop
10-26-16, 20:12
I believe the"C" models are going away. I remember hearing that at shot show awhile back. I've never cared for ported pistols but that's just me

Yeah I've read that. I guess I'm curious why they aren't more popular.

Hayseed
10-26-16, 20:21
Bedside gun + ported don't go well imo. Even if you have a light on the gun the flash will be noticeable.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

SeriousStudent
10-26-16, 20:55
I have a Gen3 G19C. It does make things a bit more complicated when shooting from a retention position close to the body. For that reason alone, I never carry it.

I got it, because somebody owed me money they could not pay. It was one of those "Would you take this instead of the cash I owe ya?" sort of things.

It's not a bad pistol, but I would not buy a ported Glock for self defense. This one is strictly a loaner gun at classes, I have not shot it in years.

Jaysop
10-26-16, 21:34
Makes sense, never thought about the additional flash and concussion. I'll just stick with a regular one. I'll see if I can find a FDE or Gray one just to keep it cool.
Thanks guys

jmoore
10-26-16, 21:44
I show my students a pic of a guy firing from a tight retention position with a comped Glock. Let's just say he won't have to worry about trimming his nasal hairs for quite some time:)

john

Spiffums
10-26-16, 22:33
I traded around and got a 24C that I intended to get a barrel for an use for USPSA/3 gun. I love how it shoots even with my minor loads. I don't notice too much extra flash.

Just as an interesting side note to the C models, I made Facebook friends with some IDPA shooters in Israel. It seems that the 17C is quite popular there as a Service Pistol, that's what they call it. I thought it was interesting that what doesn't really take off here finds its niche in other places around the world.

9mmsteve
10-27-16, 00:13
Gen4 19C's and Gen4 17C's are available for purchase. I carried a 19C as a duty pistol for a while, very controllable with +P+ ammo and I didn't even burn my eyebrows.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h133/Bacchus664/cmodels2_zpsruhxgwag.jpg (http://s63.photobucket.com/user/Bacchus664/media/cmodels2_zpsruhxgwag.jpg.html)

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h133/Bacchus664/cmodelstop_zps7vzxefyy.jpg (http://s63.photobucket.com/user/Bacchus664/media/cmodelstop_zps7vzxefyy.jpg.html)

Mr. Goodtimes
10-27-16, 06:48
I wouldn't use one as a duty gun for the reasons listed above, especially after shooting one. I've heard on the larger caliber guns it makes a bigger difference in controllability, however, shooting a buddies 17C I found it to shoot not all that different than a regular 17, and it had substantially more concussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9mmsteve
10-27-16, 09:40
I wouldn't use one as a duty gun for the reasons listed above, especially after shooting one. I've heard on the larger caliber guns it makes a bigger difference in controllability, however, shooting a buddies 17C I found it to shoot not all that different than a regular 17, and it had substantially more concussion.

I remember when I brought it to qualify, the range master was skeptical. After I qualified he ran some +p+ ammo through it and understood why I liked it so much.

jandbj
10-27-16, 21:37
Comes in handy on the buzzgun...

https://youtu.be/efeYs7tKKVA

_Stormin_
10-29-16, 19:07
Damn this thread... New 19C is on the way to my local FFL...

slow10ker
10-29-16, 19:21
I've got a 17C that I shot for the first time last weekend. Put 2 mags thru it and spent the rest of the session shooting my Jericho. The 17C muzzle flash was distracting for me.

El Cid
10-29-16, 19:23
I remember when I brought it to qualify, the range master was skeptical. After I qualified he ran some +p+ ammo through it and understood why I liked it so much.

Which is fine when shooting with arms extended on a flat range. But if you are forced to shoot a threat from retention and it's spits hot gas and debris into your eyes, the cool factor will be lost quickly. You'll be blinded while the bad guy who was so close you had to shoot from position 2 kills you with your own weapon. Comped guns have no business in duty/defensive use.

As far as availability, when I went through the armorer's course in December 2013 they said the C models (as well as the Gen 3 G21/20) were being discontinued that same month. I've heard it's for sale overseas but can't confirm that.

MountainRaven
10-29-16, 19:26
The -C guns were discontinued. It looks like Glock, in the last six months or so, started making them in their Georgia plant for domestic consumption as distributor exclusives.

Mrgunsngear
10-29-16, 19:32
Damn this thread... New 19C is on the way to my local FFL...

Excellent :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j0uudDoHPo

Talon167
10-29-16, 19:40
I had a 31C many moons ago. It actually did a decent job of taming the 357S. Muzzle flash was barely noticeable. Even in low light it was there, but gone so fast it barely had time to register. That being said, I can see how it would not be advantages for a SD situation.

ETA - When I shot SD ammo, there was never any flash. I only put a couple of mags through, but I am guessing due to the SD ammo powder being cleaner, there was no flash whatsoever.

OP - You could always buy it, and if you absolutely hate hate hate it (which I doubt), you can replace the barrel with a standard one and you'll eliminate the compensation. You could put in the standard barrel for your home and toss in the comp barrel for range/fun. Just sayin'.

bjxds
10-30-16, 20:26
So I'm in the market for G17 and a guy says he can get a Gen4 G17c.
I've always thought they were pretty cool but I've never shot or handled one. I know it's supposed to be slightly better for recoil but is there really a benefit?

It'll be replacing my bedside gun, maybe try out some gun games with it. Not a carry gun though.

Price is pretty much the same as the regular model so it's not really a cost issue.
Thoughts?

Very nice shooters, 21c is softer shooting. The flash seen on videos looks like it would be very noticeable, especially in low light, but it is really a non factor, your flash light is brighter. BUT for CQB/retention shooting it is a NO GO.

Jaysop
10-30-16, 20:34
So based on what you guys said about shooting from retention and unconventional shooting positions I decided against the ported model being that I'll be using this as a SD pistol.
Actually just picked up a Gen 4 FDE 17 from bud's.

kevin.kissell.14
10-31-16, 12:30
I carry a G23C model and compete with a ported G35. With SD ammo there is little to no flash. Yes I have shot the G23C extensively in low light. Most of the pictures you see of the C models spitting flames are with shitty bulk ammo. As for shooting from retention, I have done a fair bit of that too and never experienced any ill effects from the ports. I even shot with a hand directly above the ports (within 3-4 in) just to see what would happen. I did this after having put a post-it note directly on the ports and seeing no residue on the paper. It was like waving your hand directly over a candle...little bit of momentary heat but that was all.

For me, the benefits far out way the negatives. My splits are considerably faster than non-ported and it really tamed hot loads.

Every time, this question comes up, you hear people chime in about bright flashes of light, burned off eyebrows, and flying debris. From my actual experience, it is all internet bullshit from people who have no clue. The only thing that is not bull is that a ported gun is a little bit louder than non-ported but not drastically so. However, I have never fired a gun in a confined space and said it was quiet.

But to each their own. No point in trying to convince the un-convincable. I carry and will continue to carry a C because they are great guns and offer me an nice advantage. And I will take any advantage I can get in a fight.

Below is a video I shot 10 years ago when I was deciding to carry a C model. It handily shows the difference between cheap bulk pack ammo and SD ammo. The first five rounds are WWB. The second five are whatever SD ammo I was using back then (Hornady TAP, I think). The third five rounds are two SD and three WWB.

http://vid172.photobucket.com/albums/w21/kmkviper/G23/P1010658.mp4

MountainRaven
10-31-16, 12:31
After reading up on guns like the Roland Special, I'm not certain that there's much to the whole, "Ported pistols will night blind you," and "Ported pistols will damage your eyes when shot from retention." (I'm also not certain what importance needs to be assigned to the former, given the prevalence of 200+ lumen weapon lights and hand held lights that we should all be using at night, anyway.)

Admittedly, Roland Specials (and similar pistols) have compensators on the end of their barrels, rather than ports in the middle, so there may be some differences with the pressure and velocity of the gases escaping the pistol, where they're escaping the pistol, and the temperature of the gases as they exit (and therefore, potentially, how much flash the pistol emits).

Stickman
11-01-16, 20:33
Which is fine when shooting with arms extended on a flat range. But if you are forced to shoot a threat from retention and it's spits hot gas and debris into your eyes, the cool factor will be lost quickly.

No, no it doesn't. If someone chooses to be the only person who doesn't roll the ejection port away from their body a bit to prevent the slide from tangling in clothing, that is the fault of the shooter.

ETA- They certainly are louder with increased concussion.

El Cid
11-01-16, 21:24
No, no it doesn't. If someone chooses to be the only person who doesn't roll the ejection port away from their body a bit to prevent the slide from tangling in clothing, that is the fault of the shooter.

ETA- They certainly are louder with increased concussion.

Disagree. The ports on the Glocks are not at 12 o clock. They are off to each side at roughly 10 and 2. It can be done when using the proper technique for shooting from retention.

Defaultmp3
11-01-16, 22:20
After reading up on guns like the Roland Special, I'm not certain that there's much to the whole, "Ported pistols will night blind you," and "Ported pistols will damage your eyes when shot from retention." (I'm also not certain what importance needs to be assigned to the former, given the prevalence of 200+ lumen weapon lights and hand held lights that we should all be using at night, anyway.)

Admittedly, Roland Specials (and similar pistols) have compensators on the end of their barrels, rather than ports in the middle, so there may be some differences with the pressure and velocity of the gases escaping the pistol, where they're escaping the pistol, and the temperature of the gases as they exit (and therefore, potentially, how much flash the pistol emits).Ported pistols were specifically not chosen for the Roland Special due to their decreased reliability compared to compensated pistols. As it was explained to me, "the C models blow carbon and gas all over the inside of the gun/slide, cause lube to be ejected, and grit to form far more quickly, while this comp blows the crap outside of the gun".

Not everyone teaches that kind of retention shooting. For example, Craig Douglas (AKA Southnarc) teaches the thumb-pectoral index, and specifically advises against the classic magazine-floorplate-in-ribcage position:
http://i.imgbox.com/024KaXiO.jpg
http://i.imgbox.com/L7ayIr4S.jpg
That being said:

So Tulsa PD used to issue compensated guns several years ago so we have pretty good reference points for this from Mike Brown, Brandon, Dave Pyle, and Thad. The answer? Depends on the ammo but at most it's objectionable but not debilitating. I'd test my practice and carry loads to make sure, but I haven't observed any substantial issues with factory comped Glocks and TPD issued ammo.

arbninftry
11-02-16, 05:48
My 22C shoots a flame at least 18 inches straight up. However, it has zero recoil and is back on target quick.

yoni
11-02-16, 07:25
This has been a point of disagreement between me and my son in law. He is an officer in one of the tier 1 units in the IDF. He loves his Glock 19C, so much he bought one. The C Glocks have been adopted in big numbers in Israel, which really makes me wonder how we did it in the old days with un ported Hi Powers and later regular Glocks.

superfuzz
11-02-16, 09:30
I carry a G23C model and compete with a ported G35. With SD ammo there is little to no flash. Yes I have shot the G23C extensively in low light. Most of the pictures you see of the C models spitting flames are with shitty bulk ammo. As for shooting from retention, I have done a fair bit of that too and never experienced any ill effects from the ports. I even shot with a hand directly above the ports (within 3-4 in) just to see what would happen. I did this after having put a post-it note directly on the ports and seeing no residue on the paper. It was like waving your hand directly over a candle...little bit of momentary heat but that was all.

For me, the benefits far out way the negatives. My splits are considerably faster than non-ported and it really tamed hot loads.

Every time, this question comes up, you hear people chime in about bright flashes of light, burned off eyebrows, and flying debris. From my actual experience, it is all internet bullshit from people who have no clue. The only thing that is not bull is that a ported gun is a little bit louder than non-ported but not drastically so. However, I have never fired a gun in a confined space and said it was quiet.

But to each their own. No point in trying to convince the un-convincable. I carry and will continue to carry a C because they are great guns and offer me an nice advantage. And I will take any advantage I can get in a fight.

Below is a video I shot 10 years ago when I was deciding to carry a C model. It handily shows the difference between cheap bulk pack ammo and SD ammo. The first five rounds are WWB. The second five are whatever SD ammo I was using back then (Hornady TAP, I think). The third five rounds are two SD and three WWB.

http://vid172.photobucket.com/albums/w21/kmkviper/G23/P1010658.mp4

I've been carrying and training with a 22C for over 15 years. My experience has been the same as Kevin's. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a C model for duty use. In my experience, the porting dramatically reduce the muzzle flip and allows faster, more accurate follow up shots.

Don't believe the hype; there's no flames impairing sight or night vision, no singed eyebrows or gas in the face when shooting from a close guard, just a more controllable pistol when shooting.

That being said, I've shot a 17 quote a bit over the years and never really thought 9mm "needed" the porting like .40 does.