PDA

View Full Version : Do all gen 3 glocks have better triggers than gen 4?

wrx04
10-27-16, 08:20
I have two gen 3 19's and they both have really nice, crisp triggers. My gen 4 17 is significantly worse....quite mushy and doesn't have that wall before the break.

I'm curious if this is the rule, or if I ended up getting a poor sample of the 17? Also, is there anything I can do to get the gen 4 like the gen 3? I've heard of swapping in a minus connector might help.

Thanks

wigbones
10-27-16, 08:26
You can put a gen 3 trigger bar in a gen 4.

Magsz
10-27-16, 11:22
You can put a gen 3 trigger bar in a gen 4.

That still does not change the fact that the angle of the connector is different which results in a heavier pull weight on the gen 4 unit.

Side by side, gen 4 guns will always have heavier trigger's than gen 4's even after installing a gen 3 bar.

amd5007
10-27-16, 11:47
I have a gen 4 G19. It had a nice trigger out of the box, slightly heavier than my previous gen 3 G17, but not "mushy" at all. Smooth take up, crisp break.

Scrubber3
10-27-16, 12:10
I found the biggest difference is travel after the striker is released. The Gen 4 has much more "after shock" than a gen 3. So much more, that I will probably not get another Gen 4 and just stick with the Gen 3 for Glocks.

Texaspoff
10-27-16, 13:27
I have two gen 3 19's and they both have really nice, crisp triggers. My gen 4 17 is significantly worse....quite mushy and doesn't have that wall before the break.

I'm curious if this is the rule, or if I ended up getting a poor sample of the 17? Also, is there anything I can do to get the gen 4 like the gen 3? I've heard of swapping in a minus connector might help.

Thanks

Replace the 4th gen trigger bar, and "." connector with a 3rd gen bar and standard connector and they will feel the same.

TXPO

Scrubber3
10-27-16, 15:14
Replace the 4th gen trigger bar, and "." connector with a 3rd gen bar and standard connector and they will feel the same.

TXPO

Tried that. Didn't work. The main difference is the size of the trigger housing in the Gen4 being quite a bit smaller. There just isn't a way to make it like a 3rd gen...

Biggy
10-27-16, 22:21
More than a few people claim the Gen 4's are a little more accurate than the Gen 3's, with its factory OE trigger.

Texaspoff
10-28-16, 20:52
Tried that. Didn't work. The main difference is the size of the trigger housing in the Gen4 being quite a bit smaller. There just isn't a way to make it like a 3rd gen...

I run third gen trigger bars, and standard connectors in all my 4th gen glocks, and they feel the same as my thrd gen glocks, at least to me. Yes the connector housing is slightly different in the 4th gen and won't work in the third gen guns, but the connectors themselves are the same and will interchange between the housings.

Im not a fan of the 4th gen "." connectors as their break rolls much like the 3.5 connectors. I much prefer the break of the standard connectors. If you run a standard connector with a 4th gen trigger bar, the trigger will be very heavy. Glock discovered this with the early 4th gen guns and quickly came up with the "." connector.

TXPO

Dos Cylindros
10-28-16, 21:03
I prefer the trigger in my Gen4 G19 to the trigger in my Gen3 G17. I like the firmer wall just before the break.

Uprange41
10-28-16, 21:46
I've never used a Glock with a better factory trigger than my Gen 4 21.

But at the same time, I just don't care about the perfect Glock trigger. I've never thrown a shot that was the trigger's fault.

MStarmer
10-30-16, 13:52
I honestly think it's gun to gun. I have one G19 (Gen4) that's horrible, even after a polish job and a "-" connector. Another G19 (Gen4) that's quite good and completely stock. I'm not a huge Glock trigger snob but before the Gen4 guns they all seem to be pretty acceptable to me. May have to try a Gen 3 trigger bar and standard connector in the bad one, couldn't get any worse I guess.

DirectTo
10-30-16, 14:09
But at the same time, I just don't care about the perfect Glock trigger. I've never thrown a shot that was the trigger's fault.
That's a great point. You give me a Gen 2, 3, or 4 with gloves on and I can't tell the difference in triggers in dry fire. I don't notice it on a paper range much less shooting drills or popping steel rapidly. It's just not the issue people make it out to be. The variance is much more a gun to gun thing.

I will say I notice a distinct difference with the NY1 trigger and - connector, not so much in the pull but in the reset. Not a fan...converted one gun for one range session the back it went to standard.

MStarmer
10-30-16, 15:10
The NY1 spring is good for an end of the world zombie gun, the trigger spring is one of the few things I've ever broken on a Glock.

buckshot1220
10-31-16, 18:53
I found the biggest difference is travel after the striker is released. The Gen 4 has much more "after shock" than a gen 3. So much more, that I will probably not get another Gen 4 and just stick with the Gen 3 for Glocks.

Same here. The overtravel on my 19G4 is ridiculous. My G3's were fine right out of the box. Between the trigger and the Vickers being available in Black RTF2 I went that route instead of G4 this time around.

ETA: I swapped trigger bar, connector, ejector housing and springs to try and alleviate the poor trigger. Little improvement.

wrx04
10-31-16, 19:42
Same here. The overtravel on my 19G4 is ridiculous. My G3's were fine right out of the box. Between the trigger and the Vickers being available in Black RTF2 I went that route instead of G4 this time around.

ETA: I swapped trigger bar, connector, ejector housing and springs to try and alleviate the poor trigger. Little improvement.

I agree. The new Vickers 19 I picked up has a great trigger, just like my other gen3 19. That being said, I don't think I will screw with the gen4 trigger. Like others have mentioned, the trigger has never caused me to throw a shot, and it is almost a negligible difference during live fire. Slow fire and dry fire absolutely, but not during drills.

I may pick up a Vickers 17 the next go-around as well as a 43 and call it good. After that I'm just gonna shoot the piss out of what I have. Don't really need anymore pistols, but I've said that a few times already.

Uprange41
10-31-16, 20:19
That's a great point. You give me a Gen 2, 3, or 4 with gloves on and I can't tell the difference in triggers in dry fire. I don't notice it on a paper range much less shooting drills or popping steel rapidly. It's just not the issue people make it out to be. The variance is much more a gun to gun thing.

I will say I notice a distinct difference with the NY1 trigger and - connector, not so much in the pull but in the reset. Not a fan...converted one gun for one range session the back it went to standard.
Yup.

I think it comes down to where your focus is. Focusing on a trigger while you're pew pewing in the living room is going to let you find all the nuances. But get out, get your mind on completing a task, and you won't notice a difference. Besides, think back to how many guys you have seen discussing triggers, only to later see them giving that 5.5 pound trigger about 15 pounds when they take a press on an empty chamber? The nuances are lost on the masses anyway.

Now I agree, there are certainly grades of Glock triggers, but I am 100% skeptical that there's a measurable performance difference between best and worst for someone who knows what they're doing and regularly uses their own trigger ("uses," not "feels"). Get the gun, use the gun, put holes where they should go. One of these days, I'll play with aftermarket triggers and see what happens. But having used a lot of Glocks by now, the factory trigger quality is just completely off my radar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKDoug
11-01-16, 00:14
Out of the box my G4 19 had a better trigger than either of my shot often G3 19's. It is also is about 25% more accurate. It quickly became my favorite and my G3's became house guns.

nml
11-02-16, 21:13
Thread summary: Glock manufacturing tolerances are consistently inconsistent.

jhr1986
11-02-16, 21:33
Absolute best (factory) glock trigger I've felt was in a Gen 4 17 with upwards of 20k rounds through it.

m4brian
11-05-16, 13:44
While my son's oldish Gen 3 beats my Gen 4, the best Glock I ever felt was my nephews FDE Gen 4 OTB.

tonyxcom
11-05-16, 17:20
I've got 8 or 9 glocks, both G3 and G4 and there are slight differences in all of them.

What I end up doing is moving around parts between guns till I find the exact feel I want.

My favorite for Gen3 small frames is the DOT connector with a WOLFF Trigger spring. The DOT connector is in between the standard and MINUS. Some may not be familiar with its existence but it was created after complaints of heavy trigger pull caused by the standard connector being used on the revised trigger housing when the Gen4 guns came out.

All of my G4 guns are setup for production class shooting so they simply have Taran Grand Master Kits in them.

It is very important to polish the snot out of the connector, the trailing edges of the trigger bar (the round trailing edge in particular), the end of the crucifix and the face of the striker tang. Some trigger bars could use some filing of the trailing edge of the crucifix to get all the remnants of the stamping process off. You get this correct most of your creep or sponginess will be gone.

A lot of the variance in the trigger feel is in the slide to frame fit. You can even watch the back of the slide move as the trigger gets ready to break - this is part of the sponginess or creep that you feel. I've seen some people peen the slots on the slide to make them fit tighter.