PDA

View Full Version : S&W M&P .45 4" bbl - comments?

xray 99
09-11-08, 09:22
I like "Commander-size" .45s and wondered if anyone has had any experience with the M&P 4" bbl/full-size frame model. I know the standard model gets high marks overall.

George Mac
09-12-08, 02:38
I have no experience with the M&Ps. However, I recently read a related thread on 10-8. I know if Gary Roberts is putting intel out on a topic it is good to go. (Granted Doc was referring to the full size)

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=72516&an=0&page=0#72516

Tokarev
09-12-08, 09:41
I like "Commander-size" .45s and wondered if anyone has had any experience with the M&P 4" bbl/full-size frame model. I know the standard model gets high marks overall.

I have the "full size" M&P in .45ACP and didn't like it much at first. I'm a 1911 guy and the gun points a little high for me.

But, once I got it to the range, the gun really started to grow on me. It'll feed anything, shoots like a match pistol (with 200gr. cast target loads) and feels good in the hand.

One of my shooting buddies has the compact model and he uses it as his daily carry. It also feels good in the hand and is a good cross between size and ammunition capacity. I personally haven't fired his compact but I'd like to change that.

I'd think the half-inch of barrel length would change the balance point from right in front of the trigger guard to right over the barrel hood. Other than that, I wouldn't think you'd see much difference.

The only down side I can see to the 4" guns is availability of holsters.

xray 99
09-12-08, 20:53
George Mac, thank you for the link to posts by Dr. Roberts and Mr. Yam. Very helpful.

HK45
09-17-08, 09:22
I think the mid size is the best of the M&P .45's. Best balance and combination of size and shootability. Fits pretty much all full size M&P .45's holsters.