PDA

View Full Version : Holster help - Glock 17 with X300 and DG switch compatibility

Hero
10-28-16, 03:35
Just recently picked up a DG switch for my X300. I use a Safariland ALS holster, I think the 6377 or 6378. Well the DG switch prevents me from holstering without considerable force both in and out, which is also causing damage to the rubber coating around the switch at the choke point. Can anyone point me in the direction of an ALS style holster (or other holster) that is compatible with this switch? I really like the way the ALS System works, so I am hoping to be able to stay with that.

Joe R.
10-28-16, 11:52
If you want to use a DG switch with an ALS holster you will need to fit the holster to the switch. I make a spacer the approximate depth of the DG switch (I use balsa wood as I have it laying around from building RC aircraft) and tape it to the trigger guard. Then I heat the trigger guard area of the holster (gently) with a heat gun then insert the gun into the holster. Allow the holster time to cool and check for fit. It may take a try or two to get the fit right but this has worked for me for years and I have fit quite a few holsters in this manner. KEEP IN MIND that if you decide to use the holster w/o the DG switch installed the gun will be loose(er) in the holster and the ALS system may not be fully engaged in the ejection port since the gun is not being held as tightly in the holster.

Hero
10-28-16, 15:20
Thanks so much for the response. Man I wish the holster didn't have to be modified for this. You point out the obvious potential issue, and this is not necessarily being able to go back to non-DG switch mounted light. I do really like the DG switch though, so I may have to go ahead and modify my holster for it...

quackhead
10-28-16, 17:17
safariland claims there is not enough demand for the Glock with X300/ DG-11 combo , not many professional users running it. I have had the argument many times with them and my safariland rep just shrugs his shoulders. When the ALS system first came out, they used to do the Dg-11 mod( I ordered many holsters direct this way) They now claim they've never done that mod.
I have done the heat gun method, but had some issues with other parts of the holster deforming. I have had better luck with a dremel- on the 6000 and the new 7ts series. It's really fairly easy to do

cop1211
10-28-16, 19:54
Whats the benefit of the DG-11?

Benito
10-28-16, 21:43
I tried the DG thing with my Glock a while back. Did not like it at all, despite training with it, and liking it in theory. Went back to activating the X300 with my fingers.
If you have to get a holster for it, Off The Grid Concepts will probably make you one custom that would fit the bill. He does excellent work.

Joe R.
10-28-16, 22:18
A couple responses. I have never had an issue with this mod working correctly. Added to that I have never had an issue with a modified holster not working with a Glock w/o the DG switch installed. It's just a bit loose, not enough to not have retention.

The benefit of doing via a heat gun vs. a dremel is you get perfect sizing and no rough edges to chew up the DG switch. Learned this when I did my first on with a dremel.

The DG switch is THE answer for a handgun mounted light. Running a pistol mounted light w/o the benefit of the DG switch is next to useless IMHO. If you are going to need two hands to activate your pistol mounted light there's very little upside to having it mounted on your pistol. Just run a separate hand held and avoid the hassle of light mounted holsters altogether. I have had many occasion to clear buildings and serve warrants with the DG switch in use and if the lights mounted to my pistol (vs. hand held) I will always use one.

cop1211
10-28-16, 22:50
No issues with "accidental light discharge"?

Tango Charlie145
10-28-16, 23:26
I give all of my ALS holsters to one of my colleagues who is a whiz with a Dremel tool and he modifies each one to accept the DG switch. I run a DG switch on 17's and 19's and his work is great. I have had him modify the 6378 and the 7T for these weapons.

Defaultmp3
10-28-16, 23:51
No issues with "accidental light discharge"?A light AD can certainly be an issue with the DG switch, it simply depends on your mission. For someone that's doing a clandestine DA hit under NODs, the DG switch may be non-viable, as there is a non-zero chance of you having a light ND on a transition to your secondary; for concealed carry, it's extremely unlikely you'll have a light ND that matters, as it's very difficult to imagine an scenario in which you'd want to draw the gun and not have the light come on. It's quite easy to draw the gun without activating the DG switch, if you're not going trying to go for absolute speed.

cop1211
10-29-16, 03:32
Sorry, I should have been more specific, I'm talking LEO type use, theres times where that could be a no go.
Im a K9 handler so I'm going one hand a lot of times, so in theory this is something that could be beneficial, do they fit Safariland duty holsters with out having to be modded?

Hero
10-29-16, 04:04
...do they fit Safariland duty holsters with out having to be modded?

This is the problem I'm having that led to this thread. My ALS 637X holster for G17 with x300 won't accept the addition of the DG switch. I tried and it really chewed up the DG switch and was nearly impossible to holster and draw (the draw to get it out required the other hand holding the holster down). The switch still works and I'm planning on trying to repair the chewed up part with some silicon adhesive (unless someone has a better idea), just so the inside isn't exposed.

So it sounds like people who use the DG switch and Safariland holsters are modifying them, a route I may take. But I'm really curious if there's an option out there without requiring modification. So far, doesn't sound like it...

quackhead
10-29-16, 10:48
Damn near all of us running the ho,stars with mods for use with the DG-11 switch are LE/GoV/Mil and have no issues with retention/security. Plenty of K9 guys in that bunch too. The mod does nothing to the retention aspect of the holster ( ALS/SLS system )

I have heard that certain models of holsters designed for the X400 "may work" without modification. I cannot personally verify this

You can also run a piece of shrink tube around the part of the switch that runs under trigger guard. This protects it from getting chewed up ( you still need to do the mod )

L-2
10-29-16, 12:16
A light AD can certainly be an issue with the DG switch, it simply depends on your mission. For someone that's doing a clandestine DA hit under NODs, the DG switch may be non-viable, as there is a non-zero chance of you having a light ND on a transition to your secondary; for concealed carry, it's extremely unlikely you'll have a light ND that matters, as it's very difficult to imagine an scenario in which you'd want to draw the gun and not have the light come on. It's quite easy to draw the gun without activating the DG switch, if you're not going trying to go for absolute speed.

All the acronyms were way above my understanding.
AD=accidental discharge
DG=Surefire's designation for the weapon-light add-on grip switch
ND=negiigent discharge
DA=I don't know what this is in this context. It isn't "double-action" or "district attorney".
NODs=I don't know what this is.

If anybody can interpret or rephrase, please do so.

quackhead
10-29-16, 12:35
DA- direct action

NODs-night vision

The rest are correct

arcticlightfighter
10-29-16, 19:00
JoeR nailed it.

I run a SF 300 w/ DG switch in a uniformed and SWAT capacity.

All of my SL holsters have been heat gun modified as described.

No issue with Light NDs. Training curve is short.

NODS night observation device

cop1211
10-29-16, 21:31
I might have to try one out.

Defaultmp3
10-30-16, 22:52
Sorry, I should have been more specific, I'm talking LEO type use, theres times where that could be a no go.
Im a K9 handler so I'm going one hand a lot of times, so in theory this is something that could be beneficial, do they fit Safariland duty holsters with out having to be modded?Yeah, I was just giving two examples on opposite sides of the spectrum; with the former, the DG switch is most likely a no-go, no matter how much training you've had, because being able to draw and shoot without a light ND 99% of the time simply isn't good enough (along with the tiny, but non-zero, possibility of simply having the switch get bumped on gear), while with the latter, light NDs are essentially a non-issue. I have no trouble drawing and manipulating the gun for administrative stuff and not having a light ND; it's when stress is involved, where it becomes tricky. Part of the problem is that the DG switches can have differing levels of pressure needed for activation; one of my DG-11s is slightly easier than the other to activate, probably due to one having much more use than the other. There are also sometimes significant differences for activation pressure needed between different DG switch models, or so I'm told.

I have heard that certain models of holsters designed for the X400 "may work" without modification. I cannot personally verify thisMy Safariland 6004-39512, designed for a P30L with an Insight M3X or M6X, needed no modification to use my X400/X400U with DG switches. The extra room needed by the laser modules at the bottom of the light should create enough clearance to use the DG switch with no issue.

You can also run a piece of shrink tube around the part of the switch that runs under trigger guard. This protects it from getting chewed up ( you still need to do the mod )I'm told that this trick is even better if you use shrink-wrap that's not black, so you can easily see when the shrink-wrap has worn through.

rathos
10-31-16, 13:19
Just to add a little bit of info.. doing the mod won't cause any retention issues. If you holster the gun without a light it will hold it the same as if you had a light. Therefore adding a little bit of room for your DG switch should not cause any retention issues. That is one of the many upsides to ALS vs SLS...