PDA

View Full Version : Silencer policies

kgj1119
10-28-16, 13:44
Has anyone ever heard of a pd having one? If so. Do you have examples?

Ak44
10-28-16, 14:19
Oops my reading comprehension is obviously crap today haha.

kgj1119
10-28-16, 14:28
I'm looking for policies on carry and use

10-28-16, 15:14
I'm assuming you are talking about personally owned suppressors for duty use? My dept just allowed personally owned SBR for duty use. They require us to have a copy of the Form 1 or 4 on file with the range and a copy of the form somewhere handy. You also have to re-qualify with the SBR (obviously).
I would assume if they ever allowed us to carry personally owned suppressors, we'd have to go through the same routine. Have a copy of the Form 1 or 4 on file with the dept and qualify with the suppressor on the rifle and know your DOPE with and without the can on. As far as policies when to use the suppressor.. If the deployment of the rifle follows the SOP of the dept at that point the suppressor can be used as well. It would make sense for it to go hand in hand.

kgj1119
10-28-16, 15:18
It's actually even more stupid then you think. Personally owned rifle. Dept issued silencer. My pd says it's ok to do But the multi jurisdiction swat team I'm on days it's a no go until we have a policy. Myself and others have been using them for at least the past 2 years and now it's an issue

ggammell
10-28-16, 15:22
It's actually even more stupid then you think. Personally owned rifle. Dept issued silencer. My pd says it's ok to do But the multi jurisdiction swat team I'm on days it's a no go until we have a policy. Myself and others have been using them for at least the past 2 years and now it's an issue

Get their policy.

Renegade
10-28-16, 15:26
Has anyone ever heard of a pd having one? If so. Do you have examples?

Every dept I know of has a policy, ranging from not allowed, to do whatever you want if it is legal.

nate89
10-28-16, 16:19
Exactly. A friend of mine works for the county, and does a few shifts with a local city department. The county authorized his Agency G17, but the local city won't even let them change sights.

kgj1119
10-28-16, 16:46
That's crazy. I'll sort of looking for some kind of policy that states when they should be used or something that reverts to the individuals pd policy. Illinois doesn't have individual silencer ownership yet so they're all owned by the dept.

nate89
10-28-16, 16:52
From the policies I have seen, mostly from friends in different departments, they are usually allowed or not, and I haven't seen a policy that dictates that in certain situations they can be used, and in certain situations they can't be.

batman4706
10-29-16, 11:24
Only time we had a silencer was when I was working dope and got a Mac 10 and a silencer off a Bandido. The Mac had been converted to full auto. The silencer was built by a kit you could buy at gun shows back then. Our Chief was an ex ATF agent and helped me fill out the forms to register it to the Department.
I carried it in a brief case while I worked narcotics and patrol. I also carried a Remington 870 Lightweight in 20 ga with a 10 in barrel. I carried the shotgun until I retired, then the Chief retire the shotgun.