PDA

View Full Version : Who makes a good 6.5 Creedmore?

Averageman
10-29-16, 10:41
I'm looking for a bolt action rifle in 6.5 Creedmore ?
Specific features I would like are a medium to heavy barrel, magazine fed with more conventional and less rare or delicate magazines. I would prefer a more conventional stock rather than a tactical looking modern monster. Something that comes with or can have a short rail for a scope added.
I wouldn't mind spending 1 to 1.2 K and if there are a few "tricks' I need to modify something a little to get there I don't mind.
I'm finding myself turning in circles looking at all of the possibilities.

dmd08
10-29-16, 11:01
I plan on getting a Tikka CTR in 6.5C. Sounds close to what you want.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Co-gnARR
10-29-16, 11:15
I plan on getting a Tikka CTR in 6.5C. Sounds close to what you want.

Good overall package from the handling I did in store....but the mags are big money. I was thinking of either rebarrelling a 308 R700, or starting from the ground up with a donor action. Magpul stock and bottom with Pmags seems like a viable solution for the magazine issue. The overall cost might exceed OP's budget though, once the blue printing and rebarrelling are factored in. Maybe try a factory R700 in 260 rem, then add the magpul options?

code.e.616
10-29-16, 13:51
I just recently purchased a savage 10T in 6.5C. 24" (iirc) bull barrel. Cabelas exclusive. Comes With a rail and a standard 4rd mag. Is it the fanciest smoothest gun? No but for being a relatively new shooter it shoots pretty well. Just pushing factory 140gr Hornady I can normally do around 1.5-2" at 200 and I'm a rookie. Comes with the accu trigger and accustock. Very nice gun for only $600. Sometimes even on sale for 525.

HKGuns
10-29-16, 14:13
My Ruger RPR is great and you can put whatever stock you want on it.

voiceofreason
10-29-16, 14:45
My Ruger RPR is great and you can put whatever stock you want on it.

^This^

Fits your question perfectly, make sure you get the newer version with the flat bottom hand guard.

Magpul mags work perfectly along with other options.

Accuracy won't be an issue in the 6.5 version

treed
10-30-16, 08:05
Bergara.

Averageman
10-30-16, 08:37
Good overall package from the handling I did in store....but the mags are big money. I was thinking of either rebarrelling a 308 R700, or starting from the ground up with a donor action. Magpul stock and bottom with Pmags seems like a viable solution for the magazine issue. The overall cost might exceed OP's budget though, once the blue printing and rebarrelling are factored in. Maybe try a factory R700 in 260 rem, then add the magpul options?

I must admit this was my first thought, unfortunately this would likely be at least 2.5 times my budget. Finding a donor Remington around here isn't easy. Even if you do find one it's likely going to be priced a lot higher than the value, which to me would be essentially just the action.
The 260 Remington was an option, but I think these two cartridges being near equals the 6.5 has an edge in availability in my area and when handloading the brass will be less expensive.

I just recently purchased a savage 10T in 6.5C. 24" (iirc) bull barrel. Cabelas exclusive. Comes With a rail and a standard 4rd mag. Is it the fanciest smoothest gun? No but for being a relatively new shooter it shoots pretty well. Just pushing factory 140gr Hornady I can normally do around 1.5-2" at 200 and I'm a rookie. Comes with the accu trigger and accustock. Very nice gun for only $600. Sometimes even on sale for 525.

This is actually a possible choice, thanks. I will be calling my local Cabela's today.

Co-gnARR
10-30-16, 08:58
I feel you, man...I'm in the same boat. You have to pay to play the Magpul/Remington game. With things being the way they are I am focusing on more important things likely to become scarce once HRC rears her ugly head and wields the mighty executive order pen.

Averageman
10-30-16, 09:05
I feel you, man...I'm in the same boat. You have to pay to play the Magpul/Remington game. With things being the way they are I am focusing on more important things likely to become scarce once HRC rears her ugly head and wields the mighty executive order pen.

I regularly "drive" at least 5 to 7 mph over the posted limit through life.
Hillary taking the helm isn't going to isn't going to change me or my habits.

Averageman
10-30-16, 12:42
The Local Cabela's has the Savage, I just got off of the phone with them.
I will go look at it tomorrow.

Averageman
10-31-16, 19:51
brought it home tonight.

Averageman
11-17-16, 13:17
I bought a new Choate after market stock for it, a Vortex 30mm 6.5-20x50 scope and a Harris Bipod.
I'm trying to get it put together before I end up taking a trip for the Thanksgiving Holidays.