PDA

View Full Version : Need help with minimal plate carrier with an armored cummerbund

Mike Miller
10-30-16, 13:45
I'm looking for a plate carrier that I can put over my concealed carry set up and not block my IWB holster from a clean draw. I would like it to have the ability to hold two rifle mags, and the option to add an armored cummerbund (soft armor). It would be nice if it could hold either AK or M4 mags (so built in unchangeable m4 only pouches are a minus).

I've never used a kangaroo pouch, but it looks like one of those would meet my goal and remain simple. If not then molle or buckles for an attached rig is ok.

I'm a civilian, my only other experience with armor ended over 7 years ago, at different points I had an Interceptor, MTV and FSBE.

I've decided on Tencate 2000 SA plates, I will buy either Medium or 10x12 depending on the plate carrier I choose (I was sized for M ESAPIs years ago, and I'm still the same size, 6'1", 175)

I don't need the armor to be concealed, but I would prefer just the bare essentials to fit my above requirements (not a ton of extra length on the bottom for more molle rows, don't care about radio/camelbak routing, etc). I'm not picky on color I guess, brown or green or a mixture of both is fine.

I've been considering the SKD version of the SOHPC:
http://www.skdtac.com/Paraclete-SOHPC-SKD-Spec-p/par.106.htm

and the OP tactical version of the Mayflower APC:
http://www.optactical.com/opmbasplca.html

I have dismissed the banshee based on some mixed reviews with the shoulder straps, but their new patriot plate carrier looks it meets my reqs, and is in the same price range. But I've only seen the 3 reviews on skd:

http://www.skdtac.com/Shellback-Patriot-Plate-Carrier-p/shb.135.htm

I'm open to other suggestions. It seems my choice of armored cummerbund restricts me to carriers covered in molle, and it doesn't seem like a lot of you guys run minimal setups with armored cummerbunds. Is this a bad choice on my part?

dylank0723
10-30-16, 15:15
i know u said you want side armor, but you should look at the ferro concepts slickster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drtywk
10-30-16, 16:41
Velocity Systems Lightweight Plate Carrier or the OP Tactical Version of the same carrier with the MOLLE back panel.

Mike Miller
10-31-16, 08:12
I dismissed the slickster because of the cummerbund

I had also dimissed the LWPC because I didn't like the exposed velcro (figuring it would just get filled with dirt and mud), but looking at it again it looks pretty ideal for my goals. I think it's my front runner, thanks. Does the plate in that sit as high as it does with a PIG (or the SOHPC in my list)?

drtywk
10-31-16, 19:34
It only comes in two sizes, Small/Medium and Large/Extra Large, so the plate bags will keep the plates high in the carrier. I sold mine a while ago and replaced it with a Scarab Light, but am thinking about getting another one, as I really like the versatility of running various placards for different loadouts. The LWPC has no frills and is solidly made kit.

jpmuscle
10-31-16, 19:38
Got a small/medium lwpc going up shortly in the EE if any of y'all are interested. Ranger green, as new basically.

quackhead
11-01-16, 23:38
Anything on the side ( even just armor) will interfere with an IWB- they were not meant to be used together. you will need and offset holster for an unimpeded drawstroke while wearing armor

Mike Miller
11-02-16, 17:08
Damn, thanks. I was hoping that smaller carriers would be high enough.

trackmagic
11-03-16, 00:21
I recently bought a Crye Airlite for an ultralight armor setup. Its worth taking a look at.