PDA

View Full Version : Which BUIS: KAC, KAC Micro 600, or MagPul Pro?

Skyviking
10-31-16, 12:30
I am in need of a set of BUIS for my M4gery and am looking at the KAC and MagPul Pro lines. What say current users? Anyone have buyer's remorse? I am running Troys on my others, but... This will go on a BCM flattop upper rec. w/Geissele Mk1 rail, 16" Ltwt. bbl., standard M16 birdcage FH (for now). Will likely run a T-1 or MRO on it.
Thanks,
Skyviking

ToeTagger6552
10-31-16, 12:36
I have the Magpul pros with the LR rear. They work great!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

lawusmc0844
10-31-16, 12:45
I love the KAC Micro rear but I have a front sight post on my BCM BFH midlength so no experience with the Micro front, plus they seem to be hard to find and expensive.

My BCM ELW midlength setup has Magpul Pro front and rear, great sights for a good price.

locknload223
10-31-16, 12:56
I too have the Magpul Pros with the LR rear and MRO. Very happy with the Pros, lightweight sleek and slim with a low profile. The movement and detent stops are positive and solid. The adjustment knob's tension isn't too lose or tight, I'd say... just right. Actually the front is a tad snug but I'll take that over a tad loose.

firefighter37
10-31-16, 13:51
I run the KAC Micros on all my guns... I like them, and I run the same ones so that there is consistency between my ARs.

JasonB1
10-31-16, 14:34
I have standard PRO front and rear and one micro. I assume the Magpuls to have a more corrosion rresistant durable finish, but really think the question is going to come down to whether or not you want one aperture or large/small flip as the only functional difference with anything else really just aesthetics.

Arch
10-31-16, 15:36
I think I'm in the minority here (M4C), but I don't like a rear sight that won't "lock" in the upright position. I've had / used KAC rears and just didn't care for the ease at which they went back down. I have no experience with MagPul's metal Pro series, but can say I will not use a plastic sight on any gun I own (MBUS). I use LWRC Skirmish flip sights and Troy flip sights. I've been using Troy flip battle sights since they came out, but I've admittedly never abused them. Stickman has had two (IIRC) fail - one self destructed and the other wouldn't go up all the way.

I've started moving back toward fixed sights (FSB in the front and a LMT L8A or DD A1.5 in the rear).

AR Barbie World has to come full circle (we're back to lightweight barrels and fixed sights) or manufacturers wouldn't be able to market new stuff...

ETA: I also don't like the rear sight on my Scars, because they won't lock in place. I'm just a civilian that has been shooting AR's since 1984, but its all recreational so take my comments with a pound of salt.

Arch
10-31-16, 15:51
I run the KAC Micros on all my guns... I like them, and I run the same ones so that there is consistency between my ARs.

I'm trying to move toward consistency as well. Its a challenge when you've already invested heavily in too many options. As I stated above, I'm starting to think a FSB and Fixed Rear wasn't as bad as we all thought when flip sights came out. I really like the clean view of front and rear flip sights in the down position (when viewed through a RDS sitting in my living room), but honestly, I don't even notice the FSB after I start actually shooting. A SIMPLE rear (the L8A is probably too much) like the DD A1.5 with the large ap up doesn't really interfere either.

The only "real" experience I have with needing iron/open sights when a RDS went down was at a class. The instructor walked around turning everyone's RDS' off and had us continue shooting for score. We weren't allowed to touch our BUIS. Obviously those with at least a front sight up performed better than those without.

Real World Lesson? Obviously sighting equipment in place is a good thing when a problem occurs. Real World Application? For a guy like me: probably none. Its unlikely that I'll ever "need" to instantly transition from a RDS to a open sights, but where is the fun in not planning for the worst possible scenario?

BTW: You have the best sigline.

Arch
10-31-16, 15:54
Will likely run a T-1 or MRO on it.

I would opt for the T1. I own several of each, and like some of the features on the MRO but not the blue tint or weird distortion. I also had one die. Trijicon replaced it, but my confidence is gone. I have two on range only guns now. Eventually I'll get my money back out of them and will buy more T1s.. consistency.

Joelski
10-31-16, 16:18
I have both and like them both. Get what you want and enjoy!

explosivewhale
10-31-16, 16:51
People still use BUIS? The possibility of your optic going down are slim to none.

Stickman
10-31-16, 17:09
People still use BUIS? The possibility of your optic going down are slim to none.

Welcome to the board, lots of us have had quality optics go dead.

explosivewhale
10-31-16, 17:21
Welcome to the board, lots of us have had quality optics go dead.
Not saying they can't. My idea is from Proctor, here's a little of his insight. Something to think about at least.
http://soldiersystems.net/2016/08/13/gunfighter-moment-frank-proctor-16/

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Iraqgunz
10-31-16, 17:27
The MBUS PRO sights are very good and I have them on most of my AR's. I prefer non locking sights in the event the weapon is dropped or strikes something. I have seen sights that have been damaged under those circumstances.

Arch
10-31-16, 17:29

I had a Trijicon MRO die a couple of months ago. 100% dead - Trijicon replaced with a new unit.

lawusmc0844
10-31-16, 17:57
I think I'm in the minority here (M4C), but I don't like a rear sight that won't "lock" in the upright position. I've had / used KAC rears and just didn't care for the ease at which they went back down. I have no experience with MagPul's metal Pro series, but can say I will not use a plastic sight on any gun I own (MBUS). I use LWRC Skirmish flip sights and Troy flip sights. I've been using Troy flip battle sights since they came out, but I've admittedly never abused them. Stickman has had two (IIRC) fail - one self destructed and the other wouldn't go up all the way.

I've started moving back toward fixed sights (FSB in the front and a LMT L8A or DD A1.5 in the rear).

AR Barbie World has to come full circle (we're back to lightweight barrels and fixed sights) or manufacturers wouldn't be able to market new stuff...

ETA: I also don't like the rear sight on my Scars, because they won't lock in place. I'm just a civilian that has been shooting AR's since 1984, but its all recreational so take my comments with a pound of salt.

MBUS sights work, I just don't like the sight aperture (too squarish)

Standard FSB works for me. The only fixed rear sight I care for is a detachable A4 carry handle, as I was trained on that my first 2 years in the Marine Corps. Naturally I love the KAC 600m rear as it is the closest thing to an A2/A4 rear in a flip sight. I tried the DD A1.5 rear before, and fired an old school CAR-15 before, I simply don't care for A1 sights. Different experiences and opinions but I'm glad you found what works for you.

My BCM BFH Midlength actually fell off the ghetto rig hook setup I was using in the garage when I was about to repaint it. The rifle ended up landing on the deck right on the KAC Micro rear which was flipped up. I was pissed when that happened but I didn't see a scratch or anything, sight simply folded down. I dusted it off and proceeded with the base coat. When I finally had time to shoot it a few months later, the irons were still dead on!
So flip sights that don't lock in the up position is actually a good thing.

C-grunt
10-31-16, 18:02
Ive had batteries crap out on me on my Aimpoint before. Twice. I also had a guy in my unit take a round to his Aimpoint. Not to mention almost every guy I know with an EOTech had it go down during training or missions.

I understand the logic behind some guys not wanting BUIS and they have some merit. That doesn't mean it's universally accepted.

KeithTexas
10-31-16, 20:59
I like the flip up Magpul Pro rear sight I have on one AR. But I actually like the robust nature of fixed rear sights like the Midwest Industries, Daniel Defense, or even Blackhawk that I have on several others.

Tigereye
10-31-16, 21:14
I'm a fan of the MBUS Pros for reasons others have stated. I also have Troys but I've never tried the KAC's though.

cemoulton
10-31-16, 23:37

I've had an Aimpoint comp m4s, two eotechs and a trijicon rmr fail on me. Shit happens, just saying

Kdubya
11-01-16, 00:28
Of the BUIS options out there right now I believe that the Magpul Pro LR is the best. The KAC sights are a solid choice. The main reason I give the nod to Magpul is the dual aperture. Beyond that major "plus", it's very well constructed and thought out. For instance, it's secured by a screw that accepts either a hex or flathead. The lack of this wouldn't be a deal breaker, but it's a nice touch. It's all steel, and the aperture is protected by wings. It's has very positive detents. It'll stay secured if bumped, but if hit a little harder it should give and be less likely to break. It has enough surface to grip and manipulate the controls. At the same time it's low profile and has a small footprint. Quite a few of these things can be said about the KAC. For me, the Pro LR checks a couple more boxes.

Being perfectly fair, I have noticed one "flaw". Under certain lighting conditions, I've found there is a slight glare from about the 6 o'clock position on the interior of the aperture. I'm sure that could be remedied, but it's not a big enough deal for me to warrant messing with it. At full retail it can be a little pricey. But, it can be found regularly for around $90. If you're patient, I've seen it even go for around $75.

Furbyballer
11-01-16, 06:30
I love my magpul pros. I use the normal sets on all my 12.5 in guns and the LR rears on all my 14.5 in and longer guns. I can't justify the cost of KAC sights when the pros work so well.

Joe Mamma
11-01-16, 08:17
My favorite are the KAC micro 600 rear sights. I use it a fair amount with a fixed front sight. But one flaw is that as you raise and fold down the sight, the windage adjustment knob can move to the next setting. If you don't mark that knob somehow (I use a paint pen), you might never know that.

I also have the same glare problem with Magpul Pros as Kdubya mentioned.

Joe Mamma

jlberryhill
11-02-16, 10:43
If you are looking to get M Pro's because they look cool, and are closest in function to KAC Micros, just spend the extra money and get what you really want (KAC's). I have had 2 sets of micros, and a set of micro offset's and theyre fantastic sights. Lastly, dont do something silly like a USMC marked KAC rear and Magpul Pro front to save money :)

FamilyMan
11-02-16, 14:31

Same here

Skyviking
11-02-16, 23:19
Thanks for all the input. I found a deal for the MAGPUL ProLR rear and front sights for less than the cost of a KAC front sight alone. Seeing as how I have yet to have any of my T1 or T2s go down, I went with those in a rare episode of fiscal restraint. Don't ask me how much I am willing to spend on 1911s...

Kdubya
11-03-16, 01:59
Primary arms? I saw they were on sale for $85 yesterday. I'm wanting to put pick up another rear. If you found a better deal I'd be interested to hear where you found them.

Dennis
11-03-16, 02:44
I have switched mostly to Magpul Pro's and have an old set of KAC BUIS on my SPR, but recently bought a full KAC Mod2 upper and the front BUIS has a tiny bit of sideways play compared to Pro's which basically have none... Not enough for me to return them to KAC but surprising given their reputation.

Dennis.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

CRAMBONE
11-03-16, 04:01
Where is the best place to buy the KACs?

ClearedHot
11-03-16, 18:17
The Magpul Pro's are the sights I run on all my uppers nowadays. I still have a set of KAC Micros on my Mk12, but that's just for "clone points".

I actually have a few extra sets of Magpul Pro sights for sale if anyone's interested. Shoot me a PM.

firefighter37
11-03-16, 18:27
Where is the best place to buy the KACs?

Equipment Exchange

Just don't buy a USMC marked rear.

jrflyewr
11-03-16, 19:09
The Magpul Pro's are the sights I run on all my uppers nowadays. I still have a set of KAC Micros on my Mk12, but that's just for "clone points".

I actually have a few extra sets of Magpul Pro sights for sale if anyone's interested. Shoot me a PM.
Tried to PM ya but your inbox is full..can use a front sight..PM me back

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

KeithTexas
11-03-16, 19:11
Tried to PM ya but your inbox is full..can use a front sight..PM me back

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I could use the rear sight. PM me back

ClearedHot
11-03-16, 19:25
Hey fellas,

Sorry for the bounced PM's. My inbox fills up in no time on here.

Shoot me an email @ cleared.hot@contractor.net

I'll get you guys set up with some sights.

kukworld
11-03-16, 21:41
I had both KAC and Troy and I prefer KAC..but it's more expensive though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skyviking
11-04-16, 22:11
Bud's. $175 delivered, insured. MBUS Pro LR rear (95)& Pro front sight (69). Were here yesterday.

556BlackRifle
11-05-16, 00:37
E-BAY has a set of MAGPUL pop up sights, front and rear, for $9.99. I saw a UTG rear pop up on Amazon, made from aluminum and steel, for $24.99.

Recommending counterfeit sights. Wow....

ColtSeavers
11-05-16, 00:41
E-BAY has a set of MAGPUL pop up sights, front and rear, for $9.99. I saw a UTG rear pop up on Amazon, made from aluminum and steel, for $24.99.

Link please.

ColtSeavers
11-05-16, 00:56
GOOGLE is your best friend.

Don't be scared, link please.

ColtSeavers
11-05-16, 01:02
Not skeerd. GOOGLE. Try it.

You posted the amazing deal of MAGPUL pop up sights on E-BAY for ~$9.99 and FREE SHIPPING that you have partaken in in two different threads now, link please.

ColtSeavers
11-05-16, 01:07
All you have to do is go to E-BAY.COM or GOOGLE them for E-BAY.

Link please.

SwatDawg15
11-06-16, 07:35
I've used many folding BUIS.. Troy, KAC, MagPul, ARMS, DD, Larue, ect. for whatever reason Ive went back to the LMT rear. Not sure why, but I prefer it on my Colt 6920 Patrol Rifle with my Aimpoint. Back in the day, I was one who couldn't wait to get away from the standard FSP, in favor of a longer rail and folding front BUIS. Now, just like the rear, I prefer the fixed FSP. Maybe its an age thing.

CRAMBONE
11-06-16, 10:46
Equipment Exchange

Just don't buy a USMC marked rear.

Why not? Did those "walk" out of the armory?

Jewell
11-06-16, 10:53
I've had good luck with the Pro's. Seem to be solid.

firefighter37
11-06-16, 12:16
Why not? Did those "walk" out of the armory?

Correct

Jwknutson17
11-06-16, 12:23
Correct

Not sure if this is exactly the case.. Even a reputable dealer on here who everyone seems to love, sold them at one point. I've heard many different stories of how they made them to the wild, but I don't necessarly think someone just walked out of the armory with thousands and thousands of these things...

firefighter37
11-06-16, 12:25
Not sure if this is exactly the case.. Even a reputable dealer on here who everyone seems to love, sold them at one point. I've heard many different stories of how they made them to the wild, but I don't necessarly think someone just walked out of the armory with thousands and thousands of these things...

I agree, but a while back I remember Jack coming on here saying that they were in fact USMC property. I could be mistaken, but I am pretty sure this was the case.

I just don't know how so many of them made it out...

Jwknutson17
11-06-16, 12:32
I agree, but a while back I remember Jack coming on here saying that they were in fact USMC property. I could be mistaken, but I am pretty sure this was the case.

I just don't know how so many of them made it out...

Yes Jack did clarify this originally. I believe this is what they were intended for and KAC will always say that. What happens after that really has nothing to do with KAC. Just not sure how dealers and so many people ended up with them. If the military sold excess off, then I would say fair game..

st0ny3mu
11-09-16, 20:14
I really like the lwrc skirmish buis

Dave L.
11-09-16, 20:21
I am in need of a set of BUIS for my M4gery and am looking at the KAC and MagPul Pro lines. What say current users? Anyone have buyer's remorse? I am running Troys on my others, but... This will go on a BCM flattop upper rec. w/Geissele Mk1 rail, 16" Ltwt. bbl., standard M16 birdcage FH (for now). Will likely run a T-1 or MRO on it.
Thanks,
Skyviking

I have 2 sets of KAC Micro w/600m rear's and 3 sets of MP PRO's. I don't think the price of the KAC's justify what you get IMHO. I have moved to purchasing the MP Pro's. Save some money and enjoy the Magpul's.

MajorLonghorn
11-09-16, 23:21
I have mostly Troys and some LWRC, but lately I've been getting Magpul BUIS. They're cheaper and appear to be more durable than the kinds I've used before.

MistWolf
11-10-16, 11:15
I don't think the price of the KAC's justify what you get IMHO

I don't think what you get with any of the BUIS justifies their price

Alpine2k3
11-10-16, 11:30
I have both sets and I like the KAC's more. But I'm a bit biased.

Dave L.
11-10-16, 18:12
I don't think what you get with any of the BUIS justifies their price

I can agree with that. BUIS are a set-it-aaand-forget-it item. Ron Popeil should market a set for $19.99.

Rattler5
11-10-16, 19:47
I have been satisfied with my MBUS Pros. I almost got the Troy BUIS, but they needed a tool for adjustment.

556BlackRifle
11-11-16, 01:46
I have been satisfied with my MBUS Pros. I almost got the Troy BUIS, but they needed a tool for adjustment.

Maybe I just got lucky but mine came with the tool.

w3453l
11-11-16, 21:00
Has anyone here run the KAC micro 300 m rear sites? I currently have the 600 m sites, and I do like them a lot. However I was wondering if it's worth swapping to the 300 m sights for a short 11.5" upper with RDS.

At the moment I'm only shooting irons. I don't know anyone nearby that has the 300 m sites for me to try in person, so I'm wondering if anyone here has any first hand experience.

Alnamvet68
11-12-16, 06:19
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the G G & G A2's...I prefer the non-spring actuated version

darwing31
11-13-16, 21:57
I have several of both and love both. They are both well made. If I had to choose, I'd probably give a very slight edge to the MBUS pros because I like the dual aperture and I like that the adjustment on the front sight is a lot stiffer. I think sights are very personal but I doubt you'll be disappointed with either.