PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Raptor

HKGuns
10-31-16, 16:36
I ran into what is basically the truck I have on order, minus the hood and side graphics, in person today.

I am really happy with the color I ordered and the options selected. This truck has all of the same options I have on order.

I figured there are some truck guys who would be interested in seeing this one. Pretty much one of the best get out of dodge options on the market. I've started buying some recovery gear as I intend to take this way off road when I find the time.

These should start hitting dealerships in the next couple of weeks but I suspect most are already sold, as I've been waiting for a build date since August and still nothing.

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v43/p668981310-5.jpg

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s4/v9/p703286629-5.jpg

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s7/v155/p885882454-5.jpg

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s12/v172/p713591565-5.jpg

Artos
10-31-16, 18:10
It will be interesting how this Hot 6 does compared to the big bore...the Auto 10 Speed should be a beast. I'm sure there will be some differences on the Ford / GM joint venture but would like your input when received. My version will be in the ZL1 650HP Camaro. Reviews are outstanding. I will not be able to order till Dec/Jan with delivery in the Spring.

That look has way too much over badging for my taste but sure they offer a subdued exterior version for an old guy like me.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
10-31-16, 18:12
I've spent alot of time behind the new V6 in our Expedition, not an engine to be balked at.

C-grunt
10-31-16, 18:20
My only complaint with the new Raptor is the exhaust sound. Old one sounded amazing. I do think they did the right choice with going with the 2nd gen Ecoboost 3.5 HO model. That engine is a beast at 365hp/420tq, I cant imagine how it will be with 450hp/510tq.

HKGuns
10-31-16, 18:21
It will be interesting how this Hot 6 does compared to the big bore...the Auto 10 Speed should be a beast. I'm sure there will be some differences on the Ford / GM joint venture but would like your input when received. My version will be in the ZL1 650HP Camaro. Reviews are outstanding. I will not be able to order till Dec/Jan with delivery in the Spring.

That look has way too much over badging for my taste but sure they offer a subdued exterior version for an old guy like me.

Yeah, I got the tailgate only. The large Raptor on the sides weren't doing it for me either. Likewise the decals covering the beautiful blue paint across large swaths of the hood. Not sure at this point if I'll have it before the end of the year, but I am hopeful and will post a review when it does arrive.

I know the driver of that truck pretty well and he said it has gobs of power readily available and said the new 10 speed was really great.

FlyingHunter
10-31-16, 18:21
Very nice! I've been very pleased with my current F-150 KR. It's my 3rd F-150 and I've always had great service. The Raptor really looks like a winner! I'm not a fan of being the buyer of a Gen 1 engine release. I'm still holding out for the technology that will give us a full size truck, 300+ HP, 7000+ towing and the big one...over 35 mpg. I've always thought it would come from a small V8 diesel? HKGuns will have to give a detailed review after his delivery. Congrats on your new Raptor - when it arrives.

HKGuns
10-31-16, 18:24
I've spent alot of time behind the new V6 in our Expedition, not an engine to be balked at.

This engine is different. It is a High Output version with 450HP / 510TQ. This truck also has an AWD mode that will allow you not to have to use pure 4wd mode when it really isn't necessary. A benefit I hadn't considered when I placed the order.

I also ordered the Torsen front differential which should make it the perfect 4wd vehicle, since the electronic locking rear is standard.

Artos
10-31-16, 18:33
They got it done right on the ZL1 in my opinion & actually most are complaining of under badging...See thumb & color scheme I'm leaning to. I agree and would likely be removing the larger badges if I fell into a Raptor. This truck in the Tan/Desert with the black accents is stunning.

Now you really can't compare the two but when you have a few minutes watch how fast the A10 shifts both up & down keeping it in the optimal power band. He is not using the paddles. It uses hydraulics & is said to shift faster than the Porshe PDR system. The vid is down below the post. How will this translate into a Baja civi truck?? We shall see.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=470977

Yeah, I got the tailgate only. The large Raptor on the sides weren't doing it for me either. Likewise the decals covering the beautiful blue paint across large swaths of the hood. Not sure at this point if I'll have it before the end of the year, but I am hopeful and will post a review when it does arrive.

I know the driver of that truck pretty well and he said it has gobs of power readily available and said the new 10 speed was really great.

HKGuns
10-31-16, 19:25
My only complaint with the new Raptor is the exhaust sound. Old one sounded amazing. I do think they did the right choice with going with the 2nd gen Ecoboost 3.5 HO model. That engine is a beast at 365hp/420tq, I cant imagine how it will be with 450hp/510tq.

I will certainly let you know! [emoji3]

I could have driven this one today, but declined as I didn't want to spoil the first drive of my vehicle when it arrives.

I was DAMNED tempted however.

SeriousStudent
10-31-16, 20:21
I do like those colors.

I really, really do not need a new vehicle. But I am so bad at impulse buying.

HKGuns
11-01-16, 17:44
They got it done right on the ZL1 in my opinion & actually most are complaining of under badging...See thumb & color scheme I'm leaning to. I agree and would likely be removing the larger badges if I fell into a Raptor. This truck in the Tan/Desert with the black accents is stunning.

Now you really can't compare the two but when you have a few minutes watch how fast the A10 shifts both up & down keeping it in the optimal power band. He is not using the paddles. It uses hydraulics & is said to shift faster than the Porshe PDR system. The vid is down below the post. How will this translate into a Baja civi truck?? We shall see.

That looks like it ought to be really fast. When are you expecting to take delivery?

Artos
11-01-16, 18:50
That looks like it ought to be really fast. When are you expecting to take delivery? You are talking 3.5 0-60 & 11.4 1/4 @ 127mph times stated. Really an amazing machine for the money compared to to other super cars with similar stats. The first of the manual trannys are hitting the dealers this week...about a month ahead of predictions. Right now the estimated allocations to be released for the A10 are Dec/Jan with deliveries in the March/April time frame.

This has been way worse than waiting for a new suppressor to clear.

Have you checked to see if there is a primary Raptor Forum where you could get insight from those in the know on the total progression?? It's funny, but I'm getting 411 from the Camaro6 forum before my dealer. I would love to see some vids / stats on this truck. I'm mostly interested in the suspension improvements. What I couldn't do with this truck. The ranch I hunt is on a Spanish land grant that are very long and skinny as they connected to the Rio Grande River. & ran North. This one is 9 miles long and would be perfect for wringing this truck out for a Baja type trial. I'm trying to talk my Dad into getting one!! Just what every 70yr old guy needs!!

HKGuns
11-01-16, 21:27
You are talking 3.5 0-60 & 11.4 1/4 @ 127mph times stated. Really an amazing machine for the money compared to to other super cars with similar stats. The first of the manual trannys are hitting the dealers this week...about a month ahead of predictions. Right now the estimated allocations to be released for the A10 are Dec/Jan with deliveries in the March/April time frame.

This has been way worse than waiting for a new suppressor to clear.

Have you checked to see if there is a primary Raptor Forum where you could get insight from those in the know on the total progression?? It's funny, but I'm getting 411 from the Camaro6 forum before my dealer. I would love to see some vids / stats on this truck. I'm mostly interested in the suspension improvements. What I couldn't do with this truck. The ranch I hunt is on a Spanish land grant that are very long and skinny as they connected to the Rio Grande River. & ran North. This one is 9 miles long and would be perfect for wringing this truck out for a Baja type trial. I'm trying to talk my Dad into getting one!! Just what every 70yr old guy needs!!

Oh heck dude, with that location you need this truck, not the car!

I joined a Raptor forum after ordering the truck this summer. Unfortunately, the site is a bit like BARFCOM.

MountainRaven
11-01-16, 21:35
I do like those colors.

I really, really do not need a new vehicle. But I am so bad at impulse buying.

I wish I could afford to impulse buy a car.

:eek:

Artos
11-01-16, 21:51
That was the plan actually, but I got a 4x4 3/4 ton I can use for personal with my company truck & the reason I can swing this muscle car...make it down to deep south tx & we can put your truck to the test. The suspension is said to more impressive than the drive train/ Wish I could swing both.

If there are any solid vids on the site, post a link. Really interested to see what she will do.

When do you get yours again??

Oh heck dude, with that location you need this truck, not the car!

I joined a Raptor forum after ordering the truck this summer. Unfortunately, the site is a bit like BARFCOM.

HKGuns
11-01-16, 22:31
Hopefully before the end of the year. Nobody but Ford has driven it yet.

https://youtu.be/WlRkJRN-dXc

https://youtu.be/QEFlQSCLEIo

https://youtu.be/GqvYcC6-568

https://youtu.be/EAsR42Oa84s

SeriousStudent
11-01-16, 22:45
I wish I could afford to impulse buy a car.

:eek:

I can't. Hence the "very bad" part of that sentence.

Besides, I blew all my mad money on a CZ Scorpion, mags and Form 1 last night. Scratched the impulse buy itch for just a little bit longer.

But two friends have Raptors, and they are very evil people that take me for drives and let me shoot with them. Such terrible folks!

C-grunt
11-02-16, 04:40
https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=cFgp83yZoTY

SilverBullet432
11-02-16, 06:33
I'm ready! I want one bad.. i saw one with out any graphics package on display the other day:

yoni
11-02-16, 07:15
I have the new Raptor on my short list for a new vehicle in the Dominican, in no order of favor they are;

Raptor
Jeep SRT
Jeep Wrangler with a Hemi

I need something that can run at least 100mph and at night at 50mph can take hitting a pot hole I didn't see in the dark.

11-02-16, 07:58
Jeep Wrangler with a Hemi

First new car out of college was a Jeep. Still have it. Always garaged. This summer going to drop a V8 in it, upgrade suspension, tires, rims, exhaust, etc. Going to be a MF'n BEAST!.

When you get to Utah, we'll take it out. May be heading to the DR in the next yr. or so.

Endur
11-02-16, 08:38
I wish they had kept a 6.2 option for the new Raptor. I like it a lot though.

I want this bad boy more: https://www.facebook.com/IVDSuspension/photos/a.211037945626894.54871.199042353493120/1236380426425969/?type=3&theater

Det-Sog
11-02-16, 09:51
Now that I live in AZ, I REALLY want one of these.

Been scoping out Lariat FX4's, but I'm hoping I can score a Raptor for not much more $$$. Even the Lariat FX4 is 50k now. %$^#@!!! Dang everything is getting so pricey.

Mr. Goodtimes
11-02-16, 14:49
Sweet truck dude and congrats. The 10 spd tranny is in truck is a traditional automatic right? Not a clutches manual/ DSG type gearbox?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kenneth
11-02-16, 14:59
Trucks in general are so expensive and only truck people realize it. I could have bought almost any German car for the price of my Dodge Ram sport.

I hope they really refined that transmission. I could see that being a nightmare and clunky. Nothing's worse then when a trans doesn't know what gear to be in and starts getting confused [emoji52]

Mr. Goodtimes
11-02-16, 15:02
Trucks in general are so expensive and only truck people realize it. I could have bought almost any German car for the price of my Dodge Ram sport.

I hope they really refined that transmission. I could see that being a nightmare and clunky. Nothing's worse then when a trans doesn't know what gear to be in and starts getting confused [emoji52]

35K for a damn Tacoma.

Kenneth
11-02-16, 15:04
Yup it's not even worth it to get a mid size truck anymore. A few more thousand and you get the full size. A friend of mine just went through this and looked at all of the available mid size trucks and ended up with a fully loaded full size for only a few thousand more. It's pretty ridiculous.

Det-Sog
11-02-16, 15:12
Yup it's not even worth it to get a mid size truck anymore. A few more thousand and you get the full size.

The only reason I'm even considering a mid-size is the garage space, and the convenience of it not being such a PITA to maneuver through town and parking. That... And if I have to have a %$#! six cylinder engine, I might as well be driving something right sized. %$#@! YOU Ford and your eco-boob. Yeah, I know it pumps out the HP and torque. It's just too complex. Too many things to break. Give me the option of a big sweaty eight!

I still may get a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 with the Hemi! Crap, it's cheaper than the FX4.

Artos
11-02-16, 17:26
Heck, you could always go balls out & get a Trackcat if they come to life...How's a Jeep Grand Cherokee Hellcat sound??

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2017-jeep-grand-cherokee-trackhawk-25-cars-worth-waiting-for-feature

I haven't been in the Jeep but can tell you the 14 Durango Hemi has been a solid car, especially after the performance mods. I'm on 40k miles & has never seen the shop for anything other than PM's & said mods.

HKGuns
11-02-16, 17:49
Sweet truck dude and congrats. The 10 spd tranny is in truck is a traditional automatic right? Not a clutches manual/ DSG type gearbox?

Traditional auto with two OD gears as well as the ability to skip and lock out gears.

Det-Sog
11-02-16, 17:50
I haven't been in the Jeep but can tell you the 14 Durango Hemi has been a solid car, especially after the performance mods. I'm on 40k miles & has never seen the shop for anything other than PM's & said mods.

Thanks for the intel. I test drove the Hemi version of the Grand Cherokee Overland and it was awesome!

I'm still pricing the plain Lariat S-crew F150 4x4 as an alternative. The loaded package I want is about the same $$ as that Jeep with the Hemi. I "may" consider the Wrangler Rubicon, as an option if I just can't wrap my head around a 50K+ vehicle that I'm going to take four wheeling and camping from time to time. I can get a "loaded" Rubicon for about 42K. The Raptor I want will be 65K-71K... %$#! I am not going to do that.

I have not really looked into Chevy yet, and I am not a Ram fan. If I go full sized, I am a Ford man all the way.

Toyota... Great product, but I just get a bad taste in my mouth thinking about going there. Maybe... I have a few months to make up my mind. I am really enjoying just riding the Harley everywhere right now. The weather here in the SW is perfect.

HKGuns
11-02-16, 17:53
The only reason I'm even considering a mid-size is the garage space, and the convenience of it not being such a PITA to maneuver through town and parking. That... And if I have to have a %$#! six cylinder engine, I might as well be driving something right sized. %$#@! YOU Ford and your eco-boob. Yeah, I know it pumps out the HP and torque. It's just too complex. Too many things to break. Give me the option of a big sweaty eight!

I still may get a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 with the Hemi! Crap, it's cheaper than the FX4.

That is old thinking. The HEMI engine is a dog compared to a regular V6 EB engine.

My mother owns a Dodge Dakota with a V8 and it is a complete dog when compared to the regular EB V6.

The G2 HO EB is going to be an order of magnitude more powerful and responsive than even the G2 regular EB both in HP and TQ.

Compare the TQ curves of any HEMI vs any EB and you'll see a dramatic difference in useable TQ at low RPM.

Don't kid yourself, there is a reason the dodge is cheaper.

Here is a video demonstration. Notice the HEMI in the mirror. Note this is the Gen1 EB, not the G2 or the HO G2.

http://youtu.be/HQGqt_tfi6Y

Det-Sog
11-02-16, 18:00
That is old thinking.

I'm over 50 (barely). I'm allowed to think old school.

The HEMI engine is a dog compared to a regular V6 EB engine. My mother owns a Dodge Dakota with a V8 and it is a complete dog when compared to the regular EB V6. The G2 HO EB is going to be extremely powerful and responsive. Compare the TQ curves of any HEMI vs any EB and you'll see a dramatic difference in useable TQ at low RPM.

Do you own one? What is your experience? Just asking, not trying to pick a fight. If you have one, please sell me on it.

Yes, ON PAPER that all sounds great. I'm not a fan of turbos. Like jet engines, there is a pretty good spool-up time. Have they fixed that?

SHIVAN
11-02-16, 18:04

I've got the 2013 3.5TT with a 93 octane performance tune. Their dyno numbers show 410HP/520TQ, and a big gain under the new curve from the old curve. At 410hp, it's pretty darn entertaining, I imagine with 700lbs less and 40hp more, it could be a might bit dangerous. :jester:

HKGuns
11-02-16, 18:06
I'm over 50 (barely). I'm allowed to think old school.

Do you own one? What is your experience? Just asking, not trying to pick a fight. If you have one, please sell me on it.

Yes, ON PAPER that all sounds great. I'm not a fan of turbos. Like jet engines, there is a pretty good spool-up time. Have they fixed that?

Then I'm older than you and have owned twin turbo vehicles since 2010, they are solid and perform wonderfully. I have ZERO concerns with the turbos in this truck.

Do some reading, there is no turbo lag. That was solved years ago and a big key to that was using two smaller turbo's to get rid of the lag. (There is a lot more to it than that but at a high level that is a big part of the solution.)

Not taking your questions as picking s fight, I'm not trying to fight either, just interested in the discussion.

HKGuns
11-02-16, 18:27
I've got the 2013 3.5TT with a 93 octane performance tune. Their dyno numbers show 410HP/520TQ, and a big gain under the new curve from the old curve. At 410hp, it's pretty darn entertaining, I imagine with 700lbs less and 40hp more, it could be a might bit dangerous. :jester:

It is only 500 pounds less as the new 4wd system and 10 speed added some weight back. I'm certainly hoping it is a bit dangerous! Thanks for your input. I like to try to dispell the V8 and turbo myths as much as possible so folks are willing to try something new.:smile:

Artos
11-02-16, 19:25
I don't really worry about it too much as I get what I want but the Ins on these new Aluminum F150's are high...I bought my son one to take off to college a couple months ago & his age I'm sure is playing a part, but agent dd say the new construction is pinging them right now. I got the boy the 5.0 which I know goes against the grain with the popularity of the ECO but is a solid powerful platform. My Dad has the big ECO inches King Ranch but don't like the power curve to the V8. I'm sure the new hot 6 Raptor will deliver but do agree with the others about keeping a 6.2 available as well.

If you think the 5.7 was a nice test ride, imagine the SRT big block & than add the Hellcat version?? WOW!! My wife drives a Tahoe & hoping she will consider one of these hot performance SUV's from Jeep next go round

Thanks for the intel. I test drove the Hemi version of the Grand Cherokee Overland and it was awesome!

I'm still pricing the plain Lariat S-crew F150 4x4 as an alternative. The loaded package I want is about the same $$ as that Jeep with the Hemi. I "may" consider the Wrangler Rubicon, as an option if I just can't wrap my head around a 50K+ vehicle that I'm going to take four wheeling and camping from time to time. I can get a "loaded" Rubicon for about 42K. The Raptor I want will be 65K-71K... %$#! I am not going to do that.

I have not really looked into Chevy yet, and I am not a Ram fan. If I go full sized, I am a Ford man all the way.

Toyota... Great product, but I just get a bad taste in my mouth thinking about going there. Maybe... I have a few months to make up my mind. I am really enjoying just riding the Harley everywhere right now. The weather here in the SW is perfect.

Det-Sog
11-02-16, 19:27
Then I'm older than you and have owned twin turbo vehicles since 2010, they are solid and perform wonderfully. I have ZERO concerns with the turbos in this truck.

Do some reading, there is no turbo lag. That was solved years ago and a big key to that was using two smaller turbo's to get rid of the lag. (There is a lot more to it than that but at a high level that is a big part of the solution.)

Not taking your questions as picking s fight, I'm not trying to fight either, just interested in the discussion.

THANK YOU FOR ALL OF THAT!

OK, I'll go test drive one. I had the 2010 Lariat F150 with the 5.4 in it and loved it. I just sold it for the move back CONUS. I did not want to ship it back. I thought I'd sell it for a better price OCONUS and just buy something new when I got back. I did really well in the sale, mostly because of the V8. Yes' I'm biased here.

I promise I'll go look now. Thanks for the help.

HKGuns
11-02-16, 19:33
THANK YOU FOR ALL OF THAT!

OK, I'll go test drive one. I had the 2010 Lariat F150 with the 5.4 in it and loved it. I just sold it for the move back CONUS. I did not want to ship it back. I thought I'd sell it for a better price OCONUS and just buy something new when I got back. I did really well in the sale, mostly because of the V8. Yes' I'm biased here.

I promise I'll go look now. Thanks for the help.

If you liked the 5.4 you will gush over the 3.5 EB! Please post back once you've tried one!!

Det-Sog
11-02-16, 19:40
If you liked the 5.4 you will gush over the 3.5 EB! Please post back once you've tried one!!

Will do. Thanks again!

Since I know the Raptor is just too pricey, I'm still REALLY leaning towards another modern Lariat F150 4x4. This would be my THIRD if I do it. This, unless Jeep makes me an offer too good to refuse on that Hemi Grand Cherokee 4x4. I'm not going to lie, a mid-sized utility will fit the bill nicely as 80% of my driving will be in the city or burbs. The other 20% will be camping, fishing and hunting. I actually USE my 4x4's.

Let you know when I do. Have a good one!

C-grunt
11-03-16, 04:34
If you havent driven a 3.5 Ecoboost you really should. Make sure you drive the 3.5 and not its 2.7 little brother, though I hear it aint no slouch either.

I have a 5.7 Tundra and my good buddy has a 3.5 Ecoboost. My motor makes 16 more horsepower and his motor makes 19 more torque. On paper they are very similar power wise. However his motor makes 420 lbft of torque at 2000 RPM while my 5.7 V8 makes around 300 lbft or torque at 2000 RPM. My motor doesnt make 400 lbft of torque until 3600 RPM. And the Toyota 5.7 has one of, if not the, lowest RPM for peak torque of all the V8s. Now the Gen 2 3.5TT makes 375 horsepower and 470 torque. And again that peak torque comes on in the low 2000 RPM range.

Also as far as price goes... If you dont want a car priced the same as a luxury car, dont buy a truck with the same features as a luxury car. I have two friends with more basic trucks. One is a Ram 4 door 4x4 with the Hemi and the other is a F150 4 door 4x4 with the 5.0 V8. Both paid 29k for their trucks. There are crazy rebates on trucks all the time. One of the local Chevy dealers is offering 15k off MSRP on their 2016 Silverados.

Det-Sog
11-03-16, 09:20
Thanks for all the information everyone. I promise that I'll go test out one of these new Fords now.

Det-Sog
11-04-16, 20:32
So... Went into ford today to test out an eco boost...

They had a slightly used Raptor SVT with the 6.2 l engine. I made a run on it.

Three hours later.... Close but no cigar.

Still did not drive the eco boost. I'll try later. Darn... if they could have just come down 2-3k more for the Raptor. They were still asking more than a NEW Lariat Screw FX4... just a little rich for my blood.

RioGrandeGreen
11-05-16, 00:50

HKGuns
12-27-16, 20:34
Updating this for a future review and pics.

I have my VIN and build date now.

At this point it will be built the week of 6 Feb. with delivery expected between Feb. 15 - 23.

I will be walking down the production line as the truck is built, so hopefully I will have some interesting pics as it is put together.

C-grunt
12-28-16, 02:02

At this point it will be built the week of 6 Feb. with delivery expected between Feb. 15 - 23.

I will be walking down the production line as the truck is built, so hopefully I will have some interesting pics as it is put together.

Nice man!

Ive been watching several videos on the new Raptor ever since the media has gotten their hands on them. It's a hell of a truck.

Artos
12-29-16, 18:24
I understand it's all up to the dealer, but what are you seeing on average for pricing?? My understanding is there will be an ADM at most dealers & guessing $5k-$10k for the addy. My Dad is seriously considering this truck but he is only looking at sticker.

I would have bought the GT350R but could not find a local Ford dealer to sell at sticker...I refuse to pay ADM's & went with the new Camaro ZL1 which ironically shares the same A10 tranny with the Raptor & very excited. I suspect my order will be picked up Feb 9th with delivery March-April.

I was not fortunate to be one of the only 89 A10 units that were to be mfg for last week's initial order pull.

Congrats on the truck, I have been following it & really think this new A10 is going to be a home run for both Ford & GM.

Averageman
12-29-16, 18:44
I was listening to the Car Guy's on the AM Radio talking about this truck being next to impossible to find on the lot.
They were also saying they are moving a bit over the sticker price when you can find them, if that's the case...

PrarieDog
12-29-16, 20:03
Raceway Ford in Vegas will sell at sticker price but you may have to wait for your truck to be built and shipped. Over half of the 24k expected unit to be built next year have already been sold. The old Raptor was a pretty good truck but this newer version is just a much improved level all the way around. The frame, shock mounts, wheel base, coil buckets, and just about everything particular to this truck is purpose built for it. I was really impressed with this new truck and its capabilities.

HKGuns
12-30-16, 14:14
I am paying MSRP.

MAUSER202
12-30-16, 15:58
I have a 2013 screw with the Ecoboost. I have 40k on it and love it, glad I got it instead of the 5.0. 400 ft lbs of torque at 2000 rpm is very useful for towing or off road. The only downside to the EB is you cant get that deep v8 sound even with an aftermarket exhaust. The new Raptor looks likes a real bad ass truck, wish I could afford one.

C-grunt
01-12-17, 03:00
Saw my first Raptor on the road today. Good looking truck, especially from the front. From the back and side it appeared much more subdued than the last model. However the one I saw was a dark grey color so that might have hid some of the differences. I did notice the new bumper and exhaust setup from a ways away though.

C-grunt
01-12-17, 03:02
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm229/killerchase2000/20170111_110138_zpstzhqftvg.jpg (http://s297.photobucket.com/user/killerchase2000/media/20170111_110138_zpstzhqftvg.jpg.html)

ggammell
01-12-17, 06:50
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm229/killerchase2000/20170111_110138_zpstzhqftvg.jpg (http://s297.photobucket.com/user/killerchase2000/media/20170111_110138_zpstzhqftvg.jpg.html)

In the right lane? Fail!

HKGuns
01-14-17, 16:14
Update: My build week turned into a build day.

Feb. 8th I'll be waltzing. carefully, down an assembly line while my Raptor is being assembled.

Rayrevolver
01-14-17, 18:22
Update: My build week turned into a build day.

Feb. 8th I'll be waltzing. carefully, down an assembly line while my Raptor is being assembled.

Jealous! The new Raptor should be a sweet truck.

I have a 2013 screw with the Ecoboost. I have 40k on it and love it, glad I got it instead of the 5.0. 400 ft lbs of torque at 2000 rpm is very useful for towing or off road. The only downside to the EB is you cant get that deep v8 sound even with an aftermarket exhaust. The new Raptor looks likes a real bad ass truck, wish I could afford one.

Ever hear the "Full Race" exhaust? Sounds pretty good for a V6T. I have a 2013 EB as well, just wish the mileage was closer to the sticker.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xvvbm0ZwymQ

These guys had the Freak-o-boost Ecoboost and some nice articles on pimping it out.
http://www.full-race.com/articles/the-freak-o-boost.html

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8199/8188190419_822fae8e4c_b.jpg

Det-Sog
01-28-17, 19:14
F-Yeah. Didn't think I'd be able to pull it off. Here is my new "to me" very low mileage 2014 in almost like new condition. I've wanted one of these since the first time I saw one.

Heading for the hills tomorrow.

http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac314/det-sog/Mobile%20Uploads/9A0A0170-2837-45E0-9B64-807FA1538876_zps4gcqaai5.jpg (http://s911.photobucket.com/user/det-sog/media/Mobile%20Uploads/9A0A0170-2837-45E0-9B64-807FA1538876_zps4gcqaai5.jpg.html)

HKGuns
01-28-17, 19:47
F-Yeah. Didn't think I'd be able to pull it off. Here is my new "to me" very low mileage 2014 in almost like new condition. I've wanted one of these since the first time I saw one.

http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac314/det-sog/Mobile%20Uploads/9A0A0170-2837-45E0-9B64-807FA1538876_zps4gcqaai5.jpg (http://s911.photobucket.com/user/det-sog/media/Mobile%20Uploads/9A0A0170-2837-45E0-9B64-807FA1538876_zps4gcqaai5.jpg.html)

Looks great! How does it run?

Update on mine: As my luck would have it, my build date was pushed back one day, to the day I fly to India.

So I'm not certain I will be able to walk down the line, it all depends on what time of day the frame starts rolling down the line and if I can get there and out before my flight leaves.

In any case, my delivery ETA is the day I return from that trip.

Det-Sog
01-28-17, 20:21
Looks great! How does it run?

Thanks... As my Grandpa would say... Runs like a scalded dog. Holy crap this thing has power. One of the best things is the sound of that fully tuned 6.2l engine. Yes, your '17 will out perform it, but the V8 sounds awesome.

Good luck with yours! Keep us posted. I cant wait to hear how that '17 does.

SilverBullet432
01-28-17, 21:32
I was sooo about to get a new raptor. But the mrs and I compromised, I got a new 17' 5.0 GT ..

C-grunt
01-29-17, 04:04

Rock on man. I looked for a Raptor when I bought my Tundra. But in late 2015 all the used Raptors here in Phoenix were super expensive. Like 50k+ with 50k miles. Only ones that were low mileage had huge amounts of mods making them even more expensive.

Det-Sog
01-29-17, 09:58
Like 50k+ with 50k miles. Only ones that were low mileage had huge amounts of mods making them even more expensive.

I really lucked out and found this one where it really didn't belong. It was not getting looked at, or it would have been gone. I guess the prices are a testimony to the design. Believe it or not, they are STILL running $50K for good condition 2013 & 2014 models. Nicer condition is still higher. I "think" the price starts to fall off around 50k miles. Not by much though.

Best part... It's still under the bumper to bumper warranty for another six months. I'm going to take it into Ford this week for a thorough check-up. I'll just have them fix anything they find under warranty. I should have pretty much a new truck. Add that this was the last year made with the 6.2L, and I have a true gem. I had one of the last 5.4 Triton F150 4x4s that came off the line, and was able to get a premium for that based on MANY people are not fans of the eco-boost and still want a V8.

I get it... The eco-boost is a GREAT power plant. Many of us still prefer a V8 though. Now... Trust me... The day IS coming when ford puts a special edition eco-boost V8... I could do that.

HKGuns
01-29-17, 10:19
I was sooo about to get a new raptor. But the mrs and I compromised, I got a new 17' 5.0 GT ..

Not really a compromise, I'd say you did well!

HKGuns
01-29-17, 10:21
I really lucked out and found this one where it really didn't belong. It was not getting looked at, or it would have been gone. I guess the prices are a testimony to the design. Believe it or not, they are STILL running $50K for good condition 2013 & 2014 models. Nicer condition is still higher. I "think" the price starts to fall off around 50k miles. Not by much though.

Best part... It's still under the bumper to bumper warranty for another six months. I'm going to take it into Ford this week for a thorough check-up. I'll just have them fix anything they find under warranty. I should have pretty much a new truck. Add that this was the last year made with the 6.2L, and I have a true gem. I had one of the last 5.4 Triton F150 4x4s that came off the line, and was able to get a premium for that based on MANY people are not fans of the eco-boost and still want a V8.

I get it... The eco-boost is a GREAT power plant. Many of us still prefer a V8 though. Now... Trust me... The day IS coming when ford puts a special edition eco-boost V8... I could do that.

The 6.2L is a rock solid engine, you'll like it a lot, including the sound it makes.

As the 2017's roll out there should be an increased presence of the Gen1 models on the used market as folks trade in their trucks for the G2. It sounds like you scored a real winner, congrats again!

HKGuns
02-02-17, 16:58
The build date is getting closer, I now have a window sticker. It is back to the day before I leave for India, (Feb. 8th) so there is a chance, unless it moves again, I'll get to watch it get built.

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s12/v171/p2193469511-5.jpg

HKGuns
02-07-17, 21:34
Body was put together and painted last night. Have pictures, that I can't share, of it in its RAW state as the aluminum panels are fastened.

Heading out in an hour or so to walk it down the final assembly line. Should start final production around 12:30 am.

Yeah, I'm kind of crazy.

SeriousStudent
02-07-17, 22:43
Have fun! I have a friend that did the same thing when they built his Vette, it was a mountain top experience for him.

C-grunt
02-07-17, 23:57
Awesome dude. That's really cool that they let you do that.

Det-Sog
02-08-17, 07:25
Congrats!!! The thing is just plain ridiculous. I have only had mine in hand for a little over a week, and I still smile ear to ear every time I walk up to it. Enjoy!

I'm hearing what are now "semi-substantiated" claims from Ford vendors that the parts for a V8 Ecoboost are in the tooling stage. Not sure what it's destined for, but if a V8 EB ever made it into the production Raptor, that would really be game changer.

HKGuns
02-08-17, 07:47
Was up all night, it rolled out of paint at 11:30PM and off the line at 6:27 am. I got pictures of "my engine", "my frame", "my tranny", "my Fox shocks". I have pictures of just about every major component. Its a shame I can't share, because of the potential for proprietary information leaking.

The color was stunning and the difference between it and the "normal" F150's was pretty stunning in person while rolling down the line. The orange accent seats look fantastic in the truck.

I'll post a picture once I get the truck from the dealer.

It was a fascinating experience.

Those rumors of the TTV8 in the Raptor are just rumors. Ford needs to recoup the cost of developing the wonderful HO3.5L in the truck.

SHIVAN
02-08-17, 08:04
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzzcSQyfTa4

ggammell
02-08-17, 08:11
Was up all night, it rolled out of paint at 11:30PM and off the line at 6:27 am. I got pictures of "my engine", "my frame", "my tranny", "my Fox shocks". I have pictures of just about every major component. Its a shame I can't share, because of the potential for proprietary information leaking.

The color was stunning and the difference between it and the "normal" F150's was pretty stunning in person while rolling down the line. The orange accent seats look fantastic in the truck.

Those rumors of the TTV8 in the Raptor are just rumors. Ford needs to recoup the cost of developing the wonderful HO3.5L in the truck.

It's a shame you can take delivery at the factory and cross country that beast home.

GlockWRX
02-08-17, 09:08

That's an awesome experience. You are going to love that truck. My '12 has been a rock solid beast for almost 80k. Enjoy!

Det-Sog
02-08-17, 09:46
Very true, but the V6 still sounds like one of those hopped up HONDA CIVICS with the big exhaust nozzle that you see the young kids driving. It will (slightly) out power the stock V8 6.2L. I freely admit that... Now when (not if) I do the Hennesy Velociraptor conversion... Game over. :cool:

ETA: http://hennesseyperformance.com/vehicles/ford/f-150-raptor/2015-ford-f-150/2015-ford-f-150-velociraptor-600/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzzcSQyfTa4

HKGuns
02-09-17, 11:31
Pretty sure posting this picture of my back seats will be ok.

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v110/p2200925642-5.jpg

Voodoochild
02-09-17, 16:39
Nice trucks but too expensive for me. I will stick with my Tacoma.

soulezoo
02-09-17, 23:18
Very true, but the V6 still sounds like one of those hopped up HONDA CIVICS with the big exhaust nozzle that you see the young kids driving. It will (slightly) out power the stock V8 6.2L. I freely admit that... Now when (not if) I do the Hennesy Velociraptor conversion... Game over. :cool:

ETA: http://hennesseyperformance.com/vehicles/ford/f-150-raptor/2015-ford-f-150/2015-ford-f-150-velociraptor-600/

Let me know when you hit 11.2 in the 1/4. If not, I'll let you ride in my truck. Hint: mine has a straight 6.

Artos
02-10-17, 00:34
Really neat deal you got going on...my Dad is a so frustrated with the local Ford dealers. They all want 10K-20k ADM and I get demand, but it sticks in my craw knowing the profit margin is way solid at sticker.

A few dealers are doing the same with the 17 ZL1 that uses the same A10 tranny as yours but not as rampant...I got a TPW of 2/27 fro my Camaro build. Cannot imagine being able to be there for it & must be pretty dang skippy watching it be born. Good stuff.

SHIVAN
02-10-17, 12:51

You watched that video, and believe that was "slight"? Okie dokie. The silver truck was out of the frame by the time the blue truck crosses the finish line.

SHIVAN
02-10-17, 12:53
Let me know when you hit 11.2 in the 1/4. If not, I'll let you ride in my truck. Hint: mine has a straight 6.

The 4.9L inline 6? Or something else?

soulezoo
02-10-17, 13:57
The 4.9L inline 6? Or something else?
no, I have a Dodge 3500 with Cummins diesel. 5.9l straight 6.
It's almost stock ��

HKGuns
02-18-17, 10:27
Taking delivery today. Will post some high rez pictures later if it is still light out.

This truck is fantastic. Gobs of power and I even like what Ford did with the sound.

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v107/p2210846879-5.jpg

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v99/p2210846884-5.jpg

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s7/v166/p2210846882-5.jpg

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v108/p2210846883-5.jpg

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s5/v123/p2210846886-5.jpg

Scrubber3
02-18-17, 16:26
You watched that video, and believe that was "slight"? Okie dokie. The silver truck was out of the frame by the time the blue truck crosses the finish line.
When you consider that race was done at a higher elevation than most places, the forced induction will win at a greater margin than it would at sea level. Every time.

Race the 2 at sea level and the margin will be much smaller.

Throw a SC or TC on that V8. Watch the V6 disappear in the rear view. Regardless of elevation.

HKGuns
02-18-17, 21:31
Throw a SC or TC on that V8. Watch the V6 disappear in the rear view. Regardless of elevation.

The 2017 comes has a factory warranty with those turbos. Not so much when you modify the V8, just saying. Stock for stock the 2017 takes it.

Det-Sog
02-18-17, 23:58
The 2017 comes has a factory warranty with those turbos. Not so much when you modify the V8, just saying. Stock for stock the 2017 takes it.

But it still sounds like a souped up Honda Civic. :-)

Just ribbing. Kind of. You are getting a GREAT truck. I reserve my right to make fun of the sound.

I have the same color. That blue is amazing. Nicely done.

sidewaysil80
02-19-17, 05:54
I'd like to see a head to head race between both trucks with drivers of equal skill level. Engine hp/tq are not necessarily accurate as "wheel horse power" is actually how much power to the actual wheels after it makes it ways through the drive train. 2014's only lost on average 16-19% through the drivetrain where the new ones are seeing up to 30% reduction. Apparently the new models have a very sophiscated awd/transfer case system and thats why. The 2014's are putting done 344whp whereas the 2017's are putting down 365whp. While that may seem like a miniscule difference, the 2017's are actually 500lbs lighter and have significantly more torque. 2017 does come with a [gimmicky] anti-lag feature for the twin turbos, but it only activates in baja mode. That and really all it does is raise the idle to a higher rpm, however I don't think it will have any real world performance since its not high enough to spool the turbos to a where they are actually filling the intake manifold with pressure (which is what turbo lag is).

Regardless, the 2017's lighter weight/ more whp/ and significantly higher tq make it much much faster than the 6.2. As evident of an almost 2 second reduction in 0-60. Not to mention a classier/more refined interior (imo). The ONLY thing is dislike is the exhaust note. It sounds very close to a Nissan 350/370z, which in and of itself isn't a bad thing, just seeing that truck and hearing that exhaust is weird to me. I'd still opt for the 2017 though.

HKGuns
02-19-17, 06:49
I wanted the first generation so badly it hurt, I just wasn't in a position to get one. The interior of the G2 is nothing short of astounding. It is like a luxury race / off road truck.

Having driven other F150's, the road manners of this truck, with those tires and that suspension is also just short of astounding. Coming from a rather heavy, but pretty nimble and quick, AWD Lincoln MKS ecoboost, I feel like it is pretty big step up in performance. The truck drives about as much like a car as I could reasonably expect.

Det-Sog, the sound of this truck just might surprise you. No, it isn't a V8 :) but I think they did an excellent job giving it it's own, unique sound. It can't be all bad as we each have excellent taste in colors!

You still liking your Raptor?

Det-Sog
02-19-17, 10:11
Det-Sog, the sound of this truck just might surprise you. No, it isn't a V8 :) but I think they did an excellent job giving it it's own, unique sound. It can't be all bad as we each have excellent taste in colors!

You still liking your Raptor?

I'm just ribbing you about the sound. There is NO DOUBT that you got a solid ride. Both models have their own attributes, but If someone said they'd let me trade mine straight across for a '17, I'd jump on it. I'm slightly jealous.

I love mine. It's so low mileage, it still looks and drives like new. I've had F-150s in the past, and this Raptor handles almost more like a sports car than it does a truck. I've only been about to get out in the dirt once so far, and was very impressed! My '14 is slightly dated, but it came with every option available at the time. Word is that the previous owner was a professional ball player, so no expense was spared. He never took it off road either. It literally was a garage queen.

Joelski
02-19-17, 10:46
So jealous of this thread! Funny to read the cube guys just dont grasp new tech. Ford has BTDT years ago with a tech savvy 2.65l turbo V8 pushing 850 bhp. Of course the camshaft pans read COSWORTH, and it was hardly "ecco" anything.

MAUSER202
02-19-17, 11:17
Love the color, That is one of the best looking PU's I have ever seen! Congratulations!

Det-Sog
02-19-17, 11:33
The blue is amazing. It really stands out from the pack.

http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac314/det-sog/Mobile%20Uploads/0EA84A8E-EE58-42BF-B002-1084813C9E23_zpspd2vjajh.jpg (http://s911.photobucket.com/user/det-sog/media/Mobile%20Uploads/0EA84A8E-EE58-42BF-B002-1084813C9E23_zpspd2vjajh.jpg.html)

HKGuns
02-19-17, 18:09
Made some changes and took some more pictures. The orange decals are reflective and match the interior seats perfectly. It is difficult to tell in the pictures but I also changed the stock silver lugs for all black locking gorilla lug nutz. They look much better with the black BL wheels.

Thanks to all for the kind words. This thing is incredible.

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s7/v157/p2211752196-5.jpg

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s1/v54/p2211752203-5.jpg

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s12/v177/p2211752197-5.jpg

Det-Sog
02-19-17, 18:25
SWEEEEET! Congrats.

sidewaysil80
02-19-17, 19:19
Congratulations! I absolutely love the four door Raptors! Those decals are SLICK!

ggammell
02-19-17, 19:30
I have to unsubscribe now. I can't take the awesomeness anymore.

C-grunt
02-20-17, 02:23
Beautiful truck man. I love th orange and the black wheels.

Hey Det-Soq, Friday the 3rd (2 Fridays from now) I will be doing a fairly short off road trip north of town during the late morning. Im getting my suspension lift for the Tundra this week and installing it next Sunday. Should be fun. Only a couple hours but beautiful scenery and some river fording.

Det-Sog
02-20-17, 09:16
C-Grunt, thanks. I have to ship off for a couple weeks just prior to that. My job ships me off 2.5 weeks a month, and I'll be gone on the 3rd. Keep me in mind next time. If not working I'd love to go get to know the area sometime.

JC5188
02-20-17, 12:09

Time slips?

soulezoo
02-21-17, 08:36
Time slips?

That was back in 2009-10 when I did my damage. Still have the truck but no longer race. It is relegated to 5th wheel duty now. If you want to search Diesel Truck Resource or Competition Diesel, my info is posted there. I didn't keep up with it after getting hurt in the AF and forced to retire.

JC5188
02-21-17, 08:41
That was back in 2009-10 when I did my damage. Still have the truck but no longer race. It is relegated to 5th wheel duty now. If you want to search Diesel Truck Resource or Competition Diesel, my info is posted there. I didn't keep up with it after getting hurt in the AF and forced to retire.

Nah, wasn't questioning you...just like to see the slips when it's a modded diesel because they are such a cool contradiction. Tons on YT.

If I had a SD running confirmed 11's I'd have the picture of the slip on a t shirt. [emoji106]

soulezoo
02-21-17, 09:18
Except for drag bars and 5" exhaust, you couldn't tell I was modified at all.

I just had fun putting smackdown on people that needed it.

900 hp on fuel and 1150 on squeeze makes for a fun ride.

soulezoo
02-21-17, 09:21
To the OP, that is one purdy truck. Congrats

Artos
02-21-17, 20:31
Congrats on the truck...my Dad was really trying to get one locally but best he could find was $10k ADM & that wasn't gonna happen. I get it, they are selling them & demand dictates, but still chicken chit IMO.

My ZL1 which shares the similar GM/Ford 10 speed tranny as your is slated to be built next week & like a kid at Christmas.

glocktogo
02-21-17, 21:44
Congrats on the truck...my Dad was really trying to get one locally but best he could find was $10k ADM & that wasn't gonna happen. I get it, they are selling them & demand dictates, but still chicken chit IMO.

My ZL1 which shares the similar GM/Ford 10 speed tranny as your is slated to be built next week & like a kid at Christmas.

Just saw one on the street for the first time yesterday and it was badass. Can't wait to see a 17 Raptor too. Wish I could afford either one!

Artos
02-24-17, 15:58
Looks like Jeff Gordon will lead them out in an A10 ZL1 for Daytona!!

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=485439

Yeah, I would really like to see how Ford did with this new truck myself...I really liked the big V8 version & to see what they are doing with that 6 is pretty dang skippy!! I haven't spotted either one either on the street down & I'm at least another 30 days out. We should be seeing this 10 speed tranny across both Ford & GM's line pretty soon. I understand the first trucks GM will run it in is the LTZ & High Country with the 6.2L.

HKGuns
02-26-17, 09:29
Bringing two worlds together. Guns and Raptors!

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s12/v172/p2219730289-5.jpg

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s2/v58/p2219730290-5.jpg

Det-Sog
04-19-17, 12:20
Bringing two worlds together. Guns and Raptors!

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s12/v172/p2219730289-5.jpg

http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s2/v58/p2219730290-5.jpg

Been almost two months. How you liking it???

I still can't believe I pulled off getting on of these things!

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-19-17, 13:22
That is a picture you would not take in my 'hood for so many reasons.

C-grunt
04-20-17, 03:22

You need to come wheeling with us.

Det-Sog
04-20-17, 10:41
You need to come wheeling with us.

PM sent.

HKGuns
05-13-17, 16:47

Didn't see this until today. It is the best vehicle I've ever owned and by a wide margin.

Updated pics.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170513/e6a78ed3809f5edccd120d3ad349dd0a.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170513/b596c890bb558398eba157d5acdab0ac.jpg

Det-Sog
05-13-17, 23:34
That's sweet. I like the aux lights. I'm wiring in some this week.

Looking good!!!

Det-Sog
05-16-17, 18:00
First set of lights in. I'm loving this thing!!

http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac314/det-sog/68F177A0-D4F7-4780-8682-09F776AA132D_zpsosy47v9r.jpg (http://s911.photobucket.com/user/det-sog/media/68F177A0-D4F7-4780-8682-09F776AA132D_zpsosy47v9r.jpg.html)

Sam
05-16-17, 20:59
Not a Raptor but a RANGER 2017 model, not a demo or test vehicle, just a regular privately owned Ranger, one of dozens and dozens I saw in February, in a land far far away.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/2017-02-11_12_21_25.jpg

Ryno12
05-16-17, 21:53
...in a land far far away.

Funny that even all the way over to Cambodia, there's still no one under the "Smart" umbrella on Democrat St.

[emoji6]

Sam
05-16-17, 21:59
Funny that even all the way over to Cambodia, there's still no one under the "Smart" umbrella on Democrat St.

[emoji6]

You get a big gold star for spotting that.

Ryno12
05-16-17, 22:11
You get a big gold star for spotting that.

That's my situational awareness skills at work.

Not a Ford guy but I'm surprised Ford dropped the Ranger for the US market. I would think they'd be successful here.

Artos
05-16-17, 23:20
First set of lights in. I'm loving this thing!!

How is the A10 in the Raptor amigo, very curious...I can tell you GM hit it OUT OF PARK in the Camaro ZL1. This thing is absolutely amazing!!45635

AKDoug
05-17-17, 00:54
That's my situational awareness skills at work.

Not a Ford guy but I'm surprised Ford dropped the Ranger for the US market. I would think they'd be successful here.

It's coming back in 2019.

Sam
05-17-17, 06:08
It's coming back in 2019.

That's what I heard. It's surprising that overseas markets got them before the US.

Det-Sog
05-17-17, 18:46
How is the A10 in the Raptor amigo, very curious...I can tell you GM hit it OUT OF PARK in the Camaro ZL1. This thing is absolutely amazing!!45635

Nice Camaro. I've got the 2014 raptor. The one with the small motor. ;-)

tylerw02
05-17-17, 19:04
I'll keep slumming it with my 12 6.2L TowMax.

Artos
05-17-17, 20:57
Nice Camaro. I've got the 2014 raptor. The one with the small motor. ;-)

Thanks...when you have lived frugal to pay off a mortgage & last two cars were a 99 tahoe & 05 suburban, it's nice to spoil yourself. I've never had a 'real' sports car. I'm not putting down the new technology, but there is something to be said for displacement. Mine is a 6.2L as well.

I'm pissed at the local Ford dealers...Dad tried to buy a new Raptor but they all wanted $10k plus ADM over sticker...he ended up with a nice King Ranch, but still sticks in my craw. Same happened before I knew this ZL1 was coming out. In hindsight it's a good thing, but I would be in a GT350R right now but nobody would sell at sticker. Sales guys have called to deal 'now' & it's sorta gratifying to tell them I got a better car for $3k off sticker.:cool:

This 10 speed auto is amazing...the joint venture between Ford & GM looks to be a hit. Although they will be very different from each vehicle, you will be seeing them across their lines in 2018 & beyond.

Det-Sog
05-17-17, 22:49
@Artos... I hear you about being frugal. I really wanted a shot at the '17, but ran into the same issues as your Dad did. Since I tow from time to time though, I'm glad I got the V8. I have a lot of other toys, so I have to make all the $$$ count. Ill get a brand new one someday... oh well, I'm putting the 20k I saved from the markup on a new one to trick this one out.

I hope my post did not come across wrong. I mean that is a nice Camaro. 100% badazz. Nicely done. Keep us posted on how that 10 speed performs. [emoji1303]

HKGuns
07-05-17, 09:35
Installed Baja Designs lights in the front bumper pockets and took her for a drive at night. Was taking it easy because this area is deer infested and I've hit far too many deer in my life.

https://youtu.be/yxrb0n0TlS0

HKGuns
07-05-17, 09:43
I also went to the Raptor Assault school in Utah this summer. This is the high speed desert run along with some hill stuff.

https://youtu.be/MZdjAqbJDVI

SeriousStudent
07-05-17, 19:18
Out of pure idle curiosity, what was your average speed during that run along the flatlands?

That definitely looks fun.

HKGuns
07-05-17, 19:34
Out of pure idle curiosity, what was your average speed during that run along the flatlands?

That definitely looks fun.

About 50-55 Student.

The truck could definitely take it faster but the instructors didn't want someone rolling the trucks.

We did stuff that day I probably wouldn't have tried before attending. Below is a 30 degree side incline. It was a really fun day.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170706/ea49f9540a3c94d7722c673b1de84ff2.jpg

SeriousStudent
07-05-17, 19:38
About 50-55 Student.

The truck could definitely take it faster but the instructors didn't want someone rolling the trucks.

That makes me miss the desert and my truck. I'm glad you gents had a fun time.

Artos
07-05-17, 20:14
@Artos... I hear you about being frugal. I really wanted a shot at the '17, but ran into the same issues as your Dad did. Since I tow from time to time though, I'm glad I got the V8. I have a lot of other toys, so I have to make all the $$$ count. Ill get a brand new one someday... oh well, I'm putting the 20k I saved from the markup on a new one to trick this one out.

I hope my post did not come across wrong. I mean that is a nice Camaro. 100% badazz. Nicely done. Keep us posted on how that 10 speed performs. [emoji1303]

The 10 speed continues to impress & would love to hear the feedback from the Raptor...it communicates with the engine & it knows when you are running 'spirited'. Once floored, it will stay wound up in the lower gears / higher rpm's until you settle back down. If you are running in manual mode, you can hold the down shift on the steering wheel paddle or the gear shifter knob down for a couple of seconds & it will drop to the lowest gear in the 6k rpm range & you immediately start up shifting manually. If you are cruising along in auto & want to launch it or say a roll race, you can tap the peddle to the floor & it finds the best gear in about the 4k rpm range & will hold it there for about 7 seconds if you wanna play. I've been curious to know if Ford did anything of the sorts, but the application may not fit for a baja style truck?? Seeing the vids gets the wish list growing.

They recently did some testing on a track in Germany & the ZL1 did 202mph top end in 8th gear...9th & 10th are strictly overdrives and do not come into play when on the track / spirited. I have no desire to go that fast. So far, a home run. I struggled over the manual / auto, but made the right decision. Right now, the hopeful plan is to get to Austin to the Circuit of America track next year & get an instructor if the funds / time work out.

HKGuns
07-05-17, 20:44
The 10 speed continues to impress & would love to hear the feedback from the Raptor...it communicates with the engine & it knows when you are running 'spirited'. Once floored, it will stay wound up in the lower gears / higher rpm's until you settle back down. If you are running in manual mode, you can hold the down shift on the steering wheel paddle or the gear shifter knob down for a couple of seconds & it will drop to the lowest gear in the 6k rpm range & you immediately start up shifting manually. If you are cruising along in auto & want to launch it or say a roll race, you can tap the peddle to the floor & it finds the best gear in about the 4k rpm range & will hold it there for about 7 seconds if you wanna play. I've been curious to know if Ford did anything of the sorts, but the application may not fit for a baja style truck?? Seeing the vids gets the wish list growing.

They recently did some testing on a track in Germany & the ZL1 did 202mph top end in 8th gear...9th & 10th are strictly overdrives and do not come into play when on the track / spirited. I have no desire to go that fast. So far, a home run. I struggled over the manual / auto, but made the right decision. Right now, the hopeful plan is to get to Austin to the Circuit of America track next year & get an instructor if the funds / time work out.

The Raptor has six modes of operation that Change the behavior of the tranny as well as 4WD, E-Locker, steering weight, traction control and brake bias. Normal - Sport - Weather - Mud/Sand - Baja - Rock Crawl.

These modes work really well and completely change how the truck shifts, throttle response, front vs rear brake bias etc.......

Sport is a hoot on the street and it holds gears longer and really winds the engine out.

Baja holds RPM's at above 3500 to keep the turbos spooled for instant power.

Did I say I love this truck?

C-grunt
07-06-17, 01:41

Artos I dont know if you have seen this video yet but it is pretty badass. Make sure to watch to the end where they put them on the track with a pro driver. Look at the times compared to some really high end sports cars. Amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMNifBdm_o4

Det-Sog
07-06-17, 11:11
About 50-55 Student.

We did stuff that day I probably wouldn't have tried before attending. Below is a 30 degree side incline. It was a really fun day.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170706/ea49f9540a3c94d7722c673b1de84ff2.jpg

I gotta go try that... With proper supervision at first.

Artos
07-06-17, 17:02
yeah...you gotta love car rags. Whole lotta drama on the forums about the 350 getting picked when it's slower & costs a whole lot more. (unless you have connections & can get one at sticker) Ford did well with the voodoo engine & something to be said for a domestic sports car that can rev to 8200rpm.

The ZL1 1LE pretty much shut the door on Ford & they really have their work cut out for them with the GT500 debut...the 1LE version literally stomped a hole on the competition with their recent ring' time. It beat the A10 by 1 second every mile of the track & now holds the #14 spot at this bragging rights world class track. It's amazing, but I would have to live at the track to justify it. Recent owners say it rattles your fillings loose & pretty tough around town. Same engine, but 1" wider full R compound tires & with dive planes on the front & wicked rear wing for more down force, it is a track monster!! Talk about being surrounded by good company...with a starting price of $70k. It is the Super Car Bargain.

2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE Conquers Nürburgring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4zSIVpVMaw&t=2s

Top 100 Nürburgring Lap Times

https://nurburgringlaptimes.com/lap-times-top-100/

I guess what's kinda curious to me going back to the Raptor is why doesn't the competition bring something viable to the table by now?? Yeah, I know they have their premier off road 'versions' but Ford owns the bragging rights on this particular truck market...you simply don't here any chatter from GM, Toyota, Dodge, etc. Their share is minuscule & couldn't even create a head to head comp??

Artos I dont know if you have seen this video yet but it is pretty badass. Make sure to watch to the end where they put them on the track with a pro driver. Look at the times compared to some really high end sports cars. Amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMNifBdm_o4

C-grunt
07-07-17, 05:36
yeah...you gotta love car rags. Whole lotta drama on the forums about the 350 getting picked when it's slower & costs a whole lot more. (unless you have connections & can get one at sticker) Ford did well with the voodoo engine & something to be said for a domestic sports car that can rev to 8200rpm.

The ZL1 1LE pretty much shut the door on Ford & they really have their work cut out for them with the GT500 debut...the 1LE version literally stomped a hole on the competition with their recent ring' time. It beat the A10 by 1 second every mile of the track & now holds the #14 spot at this bragging rights world class track. It's amazing, but I would have to live at the track to justify it. Recent owners say it rattles your fillings loose & pretty tough around town. Same engine, but 1" wider full R compound tires & with dive planes on the front & wicked rear wing for more down force, it is a track monster!! Talk about being surrounded by good company...with a starting price of $70k. It is the Super Car Bargain.

2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE Conquers Nürburgring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4zSIVpVMaw&t=2s

Top 100 Nürburgring Lap Times

https://nurburgringlaptimes.com/lap-times-top-100/

I guess what's kinda curious to me going back to the Raptor is why doesn't the competition bring something viable to the table by now?? Yeah, I know they have their premier off road 'versions' but Ford owns the bragging rights on this particular truck market...you simply don't here any chatter from GM, Toyota, Dodge, etc. Their share is minuscule & couldn't even create a head to head comp??

Im not a huge GM fan but they have some damn good sports cars on their hands. The switch to the new platform for the Camaro was a real winner. My best friend has a 2016 Z06 with the Z07 package so I know first hand what that motor with a good suspension is capable of.

As far as a Raptor competitor, Chevy just released the ZR-2 Colorado and it's far more than the usual shocks and stickers upgrade that the "off road" editions normally get. And from everything Ive seen, its a really good off road truck. So I wouldn't be surprised if GM was developing a half ton ZR-2 type truck.

Artos
07-07-17, 12:06
I'm not brand loyal per say & think I mentioned trying to purchase a GT350R before I found out about the new ZL1...my biggest problem with Ford (actually the Ford dealers & buyers) who perpetuate the ADM over sticker. You just don't see it with most Chevy dealers. No car or truck is so special to me to buy over MSRP & what the mfg marks sticker...just insulting imo. I would be getting to play in a Raptor right now if they would have dealt straight up with Dad. Wife drives a Tahoe & the boy an F150.

Anyway, I really love to see the competition / one 'upmanship' on these extreme vehicles...I've seen the Colorado, but don't think it really holds a candle to the Raptor technology. Would love to see Dodge come out with a new chassis & make the Charger more road course worthy. They currently seem to be content with their customer base & focussing on straight-line & have the muscle. They just released the wide body Fat Cat & it's a cool car but still cannot carry it's weight in & out of the corners and no one really is throwing out anything against the Raptor that can hang. Hopefully it will come.

Im not a huge GM fan but they have some damn good sports cars on their hands. The switch to the new platform for the Camaro was a real winner. My best friend has a 2016 Z06 with the Z07 package so I know first hand what that motor with a good suspension is capable of.

As far as a Raptor competitor, Chevy just released the ZR-2 Colorado and it's far more than the usual shocks and stickers upgrade that the "off road" editions normally get. And from everything Ive seen, its a really good off road truck. So I wouldn't be surprised if GM was developing a half ton ZR-2 type truck.

C-grunt
07-08-17, 04:30
I'm not brand loyal per say & think I mentioned trying to purchase a GT350R before I found out about the new ZL1...my biggest problem with Ford (actually the Ford dealers & buyers) who perpetuate the ADM over sticker. You just don't see it with most Chevy dealers. No car or truck is so special to me to buy over MSRP & what the mfg marks sticker...just insulting imo. I would be getting to play in a Raptor right now if they would have dealt straight up with Dad. Wife drives a Tahoe & the boy an F150.

Anyway, I really love to see the competition / one 'upmanship' on these extreme vehicles...I've seen the Colorado, but don't think it really holds a candle to the Raptor technology. Would love to see Dodge come out with a new chassis & make the Charger more road course worthy. They currently seem to be content with their customer base & focussing on straight-line & have the muscle. They just released the wide body Fat Cat & it's a cool car but still cannot carry it's weight in & out of the corners and no one really is throwing out anything against the Raptor that can hang. Hopefully it will come.

I completely agree on the ADM selling. I talked with a Ford salesman at a friends birthday party. He said they had not sold a single Raptor for less than 10k over MSRP at the dealership he worked at. This was around 2013 after the first gen Raptor had been out for 3 years already. Here in the Phoenix area Raptors are super popular so they were having no problem getting buyers at that price.

HKGuns
07-09-17, 16:09
It's a free market gents. If people will pay it why shouldn't they ask it?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170709/83b7d93b970524125c6bb09a035cdc41.jpg

Artos
07-09-17, 17:11
If I remember correctly...you paid sticker. Not trying to put you on the spot but just curious if you have paid $10k over or how much more before the threshold?? It's a principal thing for me...I just can't do it, but agree it is the buyers perpetuating it & mostly Ford Dealers that do this.

You see this much less with Chevy Dealers (discounting California) for some odd reason...Dodge most certainly did it in the beginning with Hellcats (not so much now) & the Demon is bringing as much as 2x over sticker, but have to say with only 2500 being made, if they keep it in good condition will be difficult to lose simply due to lack of availability for a car that can pull the front tires up & hit the 9's in the 1/4. For production cars that have no limit like the Raptor, ZL1, Hell Cat, again...no car or truck is that special to me.

Chevy honored every incentive they had when I bought...I got a friend shared GM supplier discount & GM loyalty discount which brought my car down from $68k to $65k. Love the Raptor, but I would walk from anything addy over msrp & I understand I'm in the minority as there are many Raptors down this way cruising the streets.

Scrubber3
07-10-17, 10:43
http://www.autoblog.com/2017/07/10/2017-ford-f-150-raptor-san-diego-pool/?hcid=

Poor Raptor.

HKGuns
07-10-17, 10:47
Yes, I paid sticker for my truck and would not have spent over sticker for the truck.

There are plenty available at sticker and if the dealers asking over sticker aren't selling them, they will lower the price.

Some dealers are asking crazy money to keep them on their lots as eye candy to draw traffic. If they put them on the lot at sticker they are normally gone in 24 hours.

There are a lot of celebs buying this truck where money is no object, that has an impact as well.

When I picked up my truck it was the 12th truck the dealer received. Every single one, mine included, were gone by the next day.

RetroRevolver77
07-11-17, 12:55
The Raptor has six modes of operation that Change the behavior of the tranny as well as 4WD, E-Locker, steering weight, traction control and brake bias. Normal - Sport - Weather - Mud/Sand - Baja - Rock Crawl.

These modes work really well and completely change how the truck shifts, throttle response, front vs rear brake bias etc.......

Sport is a hoot on the street and it holds gears longer and really winds the engine out.

Baja holds RPM's at above 3500 to keep the turbos spooled for instant power.

Did I say I love this truck?

I looked at a Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk model with the same wonder knob that uses magical "computers and sensors" to shift power from the wheel that slips to the one that grips. All those electronics go bad. If you want a true offroad capable vehicle it will have two things besides four wheel drive; a full frame and lockers or at the very least a Truetrac limited slip in the rear with a locker in the front.

Scrubber3
07-11-17, 13:18
I looked at a Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk model with the same wonder knob that uses magical "computers and sensors" to shift power from the wheel that slips to the one that grips. All those electronics go bad. If you want a true offroad capable vehicle it will have two things besides four wheel drive; a full frame and lockers or at the very least a Truetrac limited slip in the rear with a locker in the front.

Agreed
Dodge Power Wagon, Jeep Wrangler (Ruby), Toyota Tacoma TRD, Toyota 4Runner are IMHO the best off road trail rigs you can get. The GC in any trim is nothing more than a car with a SOME offroad capabilities in line with a lifted Subaru.

RetroRevolver77
07-11-17, 13:39
Agreed
Dodge Power Wagon, Jeep Wrangler (Ruby), Toyota Tacoma TRD, Toyota 4Runner are IMHO the best off road trail rigs you can get. The GC in any trim is nothing more than a car with a SOME offroad capabilities in line with a lifted Subaru.

The only vehicle I know of offered currently on the retail market that has actual front and rear lockers is the Rubicon. You would be better off purchasing a base 4x4 model of your choice and then adding a Truetrac clutchless LSD to the rear and an ARB or ELD in the front or lockers on both front and rear.

Here is an illustration between open diff, electronic limited slip traction control systems, and actual lockers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNFacsKnswM

Scrubber3
07-11-17, 13:56
The only vehicle I know of offered currently on the retail market that has actual front and rear lockers is the Rubicon. You would be better off purchasing a base 4x4 model of your choice and then adding a Truetrac clutchless LSD to the rear and an ARB or ELD in the front or lockers on both front and rear.

Here is an illustration between open diff, electronic limited slip traction control systems, and actual lockers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNFacsKnswM

Locker front and rear is best. ARB makes it all for just about any Toyota and some Jeeps. I am personally not a fan of limited slip anything around actual rocks. Give me a rear locker and I am usually good to go in my neck of the woods and the surrounding 1000 miles.

Det-Sog
07-11-17, 15:01
Back on topic... Enough about the Prius 4x4's..

Yes, I paid sticker for my truck and would not have spent over sticker for the truck. There are plenty available at sticker and if the dealers asking over sticker aren't selling them, they will lower the price. Some dealers are asking crazy money to keep them on their lots as eye candy to draw traffic. If they put them on the lot at sticker they are normally gone in 24 hours. There are a lot of celebs buying this truck where money is no object, that has an impact as well. When I picked up my truck it was the 12th truck the dealer received. Every single one, mine included, were gone by the next day.

Agreed. I bought mine used. The previous owner was a professional ball player. It was a garage queen.

RetroRevolver77
07-11-17, 15:21
Back on topic... Enough about the Prius 4x4's..

Which is what the Raptor is- a mall crawler.

Det-Sog
07-11-17, 15:27
Which is what the Raptor is- a mall crawler.

Rough crowd today ;-)

RetroRevolver77
07-11-17, 15:46
Rough crowd today ;-)

Just giving you hard time. The only thing the Raptor needs is a locker in the front, the rear I believe has an electronic locker. Which is the same for the Toyota's as well. The Jeep Rubicon is the only one that offers lockers front and rear.

Det-Sog
07-11-17, 16:32
Just giving you hard time.

Ditto!

The only thing the Raptor needs is a locker in the front, the rear I believe has an electronic locker. Which is the same for the Toyota's as well. The Jeep Rubicon is the only one that offers lockers front and rear.

The Rubicon is a solid vehicle. That's probably what I would have gotten had I not stumbled across the Raptor deal when I did.

C-grunt
07-11-17, 16:49
Just giving you hard time. The only thing the Raptor needs is a locker in the front, the rear I believe has an electronic locker. Which is the same for the Toyota's as well. The Jeep Rubicon is the only one that offers lockers front and rear.

Power Wagon and the ZR-2 have them as well.

Artos
07-11-17, 21:29
Anyone know if Ford is for certain going to bring the Bronco back...I had an 81 & an 84 H.O.

I've been seeing bits but never heard if it was GTG for sure.

C-grunt
07-12-17, 12:41
Anyone know if Ford is for certain going to bring the Bronco back...I had an 81 & an 84 H.O.

I've been seeing bits but never heard if it was GTG for sure.

They officially announced it at one of the car shows this year and are retooling one of their plants for it. So unless it gets cancelled, it is definitely coming as a 2020 model.

The new US Ranger comes out next year as a 2019 model and the Bronco is based off of that truck. They said it will be about halfway in size between the original Bronco and the Bronco II

C-grunt
07-12-17, 12:43
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmxC1vYbM7s