PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Question - A2 Buffer Tube swap

GSXRSEAN
11-01-16, 02:41
I want to swap out one of my AR's collapsible stocks and Buffer tube (MIL) to a non collapsible skeleton type that requires an A2 buffer tube. I shouldn't need new springs and buffers correct?

MistWolf
11-01-16, 02:46
Not a stupid question and not correct. The A2 receiver extension (what you're calling a buffer tube) is a rifle length RE and you must use a rifle buffer and rifle spring, both of which are longer. You must use a spacer to use a carbine length buffer and carbine length spring, but your rifle will run a little smoother with the rifle buffer and spring.

Using the shorter carbine buffer in a rifle RE without a spacer will damage your rifle

GSXRSEAN
11-01-16, 06:48
Thank you for the clarification.

BBossman
11-01-16, 07:24
Magpul makes a fixed "skeleton" stock that uses your carbine buffer tube...

https://www.magpul.com/products/moe-fixed-carbine-stock-mil-spec

Vegasshooter
11-02-16, 12:35
If you are going to a rifle receiver extension, get yourself a longer rifle length spring, and install a Vltor A5 system on it. You will have a much softer shooting rifle. You will also save wear on your bolt, can pin, etc. The longer rifle spring and A5 system are considered by many, myself included, to be superior to the shorter carbine length extensions.

BFS
11-02-16, 14:11
If you are going to a rifle receiver extension, get yourself a longer rifle length spring, and through a Vltor A5 buffer in it. You will have a much softer shooting rifle. You will also save wear on your bolt, can pin, etc. The longer rifle spring and A5 buffer are considered by many, myself included, to be superior to the shorter carbine length extensions.

Please don't do this. You will damage your rifle.

A5 buffers are for A5 tubes only.
Rifle buffers are for rifle tubes only.
Carbine buffers are for carbine tubes only.

Vegasshooter
11-02-16, 14:32
Please don't do this. You will damage your rifle.

A5 buffers are for A5 tubes only.
Rifle buffers are for rifle tubes only.
Carbine buffers are for carbine tubes only.

You are correct. I meant A5 system. I wrote buffer, and you are correct. Thank you for catching that. I will edit my post. Had one thing on my mind, and my fingers didn't cooperate. Thanks again.

BFS
11-02-16, 17:13
Had one thing on my mind, and my fingers didn't cooperate. Thanks again.

Happens to the best of us.

Just didn't want the OP to try a A5 buffer in his rifle tube.

Clint
11-02-16, 20:31
The rifle system works well, especially with a modified rifle buffer.

GSXRSEAN
11-03-16, 03:19
Just didn't want the OP to try a A5 buffer in his rifle tube.

Haven't pulled the trigger yet, as I am not sure how the change to the A2/Rifle buffer will effect my gas system. The gun I want to change is a 18" barrel w/Rifle Length gas system and has worked flawlessly for over 10 years.

Clint
11-03-16, 15:32
Haven't pulled the trigger yet, as I am not sure how the change to the A2/Rifle buffer will effect my gas system. The gun I want to change is a 18" barrel w/Rifle Length gas system and has worked flawlessly for over 10 years.

The buffer swap won't affect your gas system at all, but it may affect cycling.

If the upper is very lightly gassed, the rifle buffer may be too heavy to cycle properly, but this is pretty unlikely and there are easy solutions.