PDA

View Full Version : Nike SFB Jungle Boots

Firefly
11-01-16, 04:08
I still have some old, odd sized Jungles from the 80s that took me a while to break in. I don't really "need" new boots as my Oakleys hang tough (Oakley SI 6s which apparently they dont make any more. Typical Flash in the pan Oakley).

I just want some personal knockarounds as I want to get back into hiking and whatnot now that I am free to rejoin the human race.

Questions: Are these "fashion boots" or can they survive actually being outdoors?

Do they run big? I have large feet and in military boot sizing I can be "okay" in a 15. I wear a few sizes larger in sneaker sizes. Can they be broke in?

I normally do Adidas but they do not make boots to accomodate me.

I don't foresee these as fast rope, patrol, raid Hanoi boots. Just camping and hey, I like the Vietnam style jungle boots.

My first Patrol boots were Altama black jungles size 17. They sucked for running on pavement but kicked ass climbing/hurdling fences. Then Timbs but they were huge Jason Voorhees boots that couldn't hold a shine. Grrat for ball kicking, sucked for most anything else. Oakley Assaults wore out but the SI 6s actually helped when I broke my foot. They did it all. I know bates and Bellevue(?) make clown sizes but my baby heart is set on these Nikes.

Any input welcomed. Again, just for personal use (hunting, camping, etc)

Thanks

ggammell
11-01-16, 07:54
They are based off the Nike free series running shoe so you might hit your local sporting goods store and try them on.

contax_shooter
11-01-16, 08:34
I have experience with the original SFB with synthetic material and currently using the AR 670-1 compliant leather SFB2. The original SFB fit just like how the Nike Free Run's fit, although the newer SFB2's are slightly narrower around the big toe knuckle area, perhaps less forgiving in stretch due to material. The original's outsole didn't last long at all, I can't attest for the SFB2 yet. They are certainly comfortable!

Firefly
11-01-16, 09:00
Nobody has the 15s.

So they are not durable?

Also when I said Ibhad OD Jungles from the 80s, I meant that is when they were made. Still hold up and broke in but I keep those for putting away as I've not seen another pair that size since.

I envy people that can go to a store and buy boots. I may just see if they take returns if they cant break or are too small. My problem is I have some good boots but am too afraid to use them and these SFBs caught my eye.

We'll see, I reckon

MichaelVain
11-01-16, 10:11
I don't really like my SFB Jungle boots. They are very flat, meaning not much arch support. I can't really put a support insole in because there isn't room. Also the stitching in the back will rub against your achilles heel and make it painful after a bit. I solve this by wearing very thick wool socks.

I bought them when they were doing a sale, so I think I paid like $60 for them. Not worth it IMO. What I do use them for is mowing when I'm on my ZT. Since I'm sitting and not walking they don't give me a blister and I don't care if they get all crapped up from grass and other stuff on the farm.

I think they would be better if they had better arch support and that stitching in the back was less pronounced.

Oh, and I think they run a little large. My size 10 seem just a tad big.

GTF425
11-01-16, 10:18
The Garmont NFS boots are substantially better made and will last much longer than the Nikes. I have a pair coming up on two years that, along with my T8s, are nowhere near being worn out.

Every one of my dudes who had the Nike combat slippers got less than 6 months out of them with just daily garrison wear and weekly rucks.

Firefly
11-01-16, 10:42
Hmm.....rethinking the Nikes now. They looked cool anyways. Might as well just wear my OG jungles

Do Garmonts come in larger sizes like 16 or 17?

Thanks for the heads up.

BrigandTwoFour
11-01-16, 10:59
Guys in my office swear by the Nikes, but will readily admit they don't last all that long under lots of use. I've been using a pair of Salomon Jungle Ultras (http://www.salomon.com/ae/product/jungle-ultra.html), and I really like them a lot (once I got past break in). I can't speak to how long they will hold up, since I haven't destroyed them yet, but they Salomon has a solid reputation.

http://media.salomon.com/products/w680/L37950000.jpg

Another option might be the new Altama Jungle II boot (http://www.altama.com/usa_en/jungle-2-olive-drab.html). The original brand went under some years ago after some bad publicity related to outsourcing (along with Wellco). The brand and equipment was acquired in 2014, and all manufacturing centralized back to the US. They designed a new version of the classic jungle, dubbed the Jungle II.

http://www.altama.com/media/catalog/product/cache/9/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/5/1/515606_-_combo.jpg

Firefly
11-01-16, 11:28
Brigand, thanks for the heads up.
I called the Altama lady and she said it may be a minute before they are released but will go to size 16.

So that is good for me. Classic look but updated. Yeah screw the Nikes. A little Kiwi never killed anyone. Will also look into Garmonts. They make a 15 so if they go a little big, so much the better.

Thanks all for pointing me in the right direction. I'd sworn off Nikes for nigh on 20 years, why break the streak now?

pinzgauer
11-01-16, 14:22
The Garmont NFS boots are substantially better made and will last much longer than the Nikes. I have a pair coming up on two years that, along with my T8s, are nowhere near being worn out.

Every one of my dudes who had the Nike combat slippers got less than 6 months out of them with just daily garrison wear and weekly rucks.

This has been my son's and buddies experience as well.

The Nikes just don't hold up. Some would take a still serviceable pair to RS for the timed ruck and obstacle courses, then trash them.

Sent from my PRC-104 using phonetics

pinzgauer
11-01-16, 14:25
So that is good for me. Classic look but updated. Yeah screw the Nikes. A little Kiwi never killed anyone. Will also look into Garmonts. They make a 15 so if they go a little big, so much the better

The Garmonts are 10x better than any old style jungle boot. The only exception would be if you planned on wading every day and for sure needed a quick dry, draining boot

contax_shooter
11-01-16, 15:23
Guys in my office swear by the Nikes, but will readily admit they don't last all that long under lots of use. I've been using a pair of Salomon Jungle Ultras (http://www.salomon.com/ae/product/jungle-ultra.html), and I really like them a lot (once I got past break in). I can't speak to how long they will hold up, since I haven't destroyed them yet, but they Salomon has a solid reputation.

http://media.salomon.com/products/w680/L37950000.jpg

Another option might be the new Altama Jungle II boot (http://www.altama.com/usa_en/jungle-2-olive-drab.html). The original brand went under some years ago after some bad publicity related to outsourcing (along with Wellco). The brand and equipment was acquired in 2014, and all manufacturing centralized back to the US. They designed a new version of the classic jungle, dubbed the Jungle II.

http://www.altama.com/media/catalog/product/cache/9/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/5/1/515606_-_combo.jpg

Those Salomon ones look great, wish they made them compliant for 670-1!

pinzgauer
11-02-16, 05:38

Nubuck fake leather would be a lockout, I believe. But they do look pretty interesting

GTF425
11-02-16, 07:36
The Nikes just don't hold up. Some would take a still serviceable pair to RS for the timed ruck and obstacle courses, then trash them

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag347/GTF425/73E6AEA8-EC2C-4E55-830F-C2B5F286BCC2-5799-0000049A0B27CACC_zpsapuqrgry.jpg

These were my main "go fast" boots for a few of the adventurous pursuits I had when in. I have no idea what resole those are on, but after spending (likely) $1,600 on various boots over the years, I embraced the SOPC Special for a strictly rucking boot. They're lighter than any of the Nike/Garmont/Rocky offerings, but truth be told: If I could go back and do it again, I'd have the cups removed and the old school jungle boot sole put on in lieu of the super soft Vibram one the SOPC is commonly modded with.

Even without the soft sole, just taking the heel and toe cups out and lacing with gutted 550 makes a world of difference. If dudes go full-on SOPC Special, they lose their traction in the mud. Great for hauling ass on hardball, but they're horrible field boots.

The Garmont NFS replaced my SOPCs for garrison and weekly rucks towards the end of my career, and T8s were on my feet for everything else from early 2011 until I got out this year.

I love the Garmonts. The T8s have a 3-4 week break in, but last forever. They really are great boots.

BrigandTwoFour
11-02-16, 08:08

I hear you. I bought the green ones since they were called "sage," but they are way too dark to be compliant with 36-2903 (Air Force uniform reg). It's a bit silly of Salomon to make boots like these under the military "Forces" line, but then not comply with the uniform regs for either the brown or green boot.

I still wear the Salomons for stuff out of uniform, though. I ended up grabbing a pair of Danner Tachyons for my daily wear boot, and those have been great.

Firefly
11-02-16, 14:10
Where can I source Size 15 or 16 Garmonts?

Anyone know?

ggammell
11-02-16, 15:04
Where can I source Size 15 or 16 Garmonts?

Anyone know?

Extreme Outfitters.

A quick check showed one Garmont T8 model with 14 and 15 sizing available.