PDA

View Full Version : Strange observation

glockshooter
11-01-16, 15:52
So today I go to pick up a upper receiver to complete a build, and the shop had a BCM for $120 and a Aero for $100. So I immediately think to myself there's no way I'm going to buy a Aero part. I bend down and look at the BCM and glance at the Aero. I notice what appears to be the exact same forge markings. I ask to see the both and confirm the are from the same forge. Now I never would have expected that. I actually bought the Aero one for $20 less. As much as I wanted to talk myself into the BCM one I couldn't. Anybody else notice this before?

Matt

Righter13
11-01-16, 16:45
Never noticed it but I'm not surprised as there is a finite amount for forges in the U.S.

JC5188
11-01-16, 17:19
What happens after the forge is far more important to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stickman
11-01-16, 18:03
So today I go to pick up a upper receiver to complete a build, and the shop had a BCM for $120 and a Aero for $100. So I immediately think to myself there's no way I'm going to buy a Aero part. I bend down and look at the BCM and glance at the Aero. I notice what appears to be the exact same forge markings. I ask to see the both and confirm the are from the same forge. Now I never would have expected that. I actually bought the Aero one for $20 less. As much as I wanted to talk myself into the BCM one I couldn't. Anybody else notice this before?

Matt

Matt,

If you are looking at the forge mark, you are missing that only says what foundry/ forging it came from. That has nothing to do with the quality, not even a tiny little bit. The forging has nothing to do with the machine work, finishing, QC, or quality.

JC5188
11-01-16, 18:06
^^^what stick said.

I'd have gone with the BCM personally, ESPECIALLY for a $20 bill. That's not a comment against Aero, but rather one FOR Bravo Co.

StealthOPS32
11-01-16, 19:56
I've used multiple Aero uppers and never had any issues with them. I've heard lots of good things about BCM too though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

zackmars
11-01-16, 20:00
Lots of places buy raw forgings and machine them out themselves, like BCM

If i were in your shoes, i would've went with the BCM.

Nocalsocal
11-01-16, 20:02
After having both uppers for builds, I've noticed the past 3 BCM uppers all displayed tighter fit for the barrel extension than the Aero upper. Supposedly this increases accuracy but I've never really tested the claim.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Stickman
11-01-16, 20:12
After having both uppers for builds, I've noticed the past 3 BCM uppers all displayed tighter fit for the barrel extension than the Aero upper.

Higher tolerances and QC end up costing a little more. That being said, that isn't making Aero products bad, but little details like that are important to many people.

Jwknutson17
11-01-16, 21:59
Aero uppers are of excellent quality, fit, and finish. I have had excellent results with them over the years. I would have done the same as you and put the 20 towards something else.

Iraqgunz
11-02-16, 00:12
Thank you. Now I don't have to state the obvious.

Matt,

If you are looking at the forge mark, you are missing that only says what foundry/ forging it came from. That has nothing to do with the quality, not even a tiny little bit. The forging has nothing to do with the machine work, finishing, QC, or quality.

Iraqgunz
11-02-16, 00:19
Not only is the barrel fit tighter, but all BCM uppers to my knowledge are also dry film lubed. Most all commercial ones to include Aero are not. Or at least the ones I have seen.

mjpgolf1
11-02-16, 07:27
Aero receivers, both upper and lower, are of excellent quality. The times I used their uppers I had to gently tap the barrel to get it to fully seat because tolerances were extremely tight. Lots of very well known gun guys use their receivers for the platforms of their high end builds so buy and use with confidence.

seedubs1
11-02-16, 08:12
You did fine OP. I'd have put that $20 to something worth while. Aero receivers are high quality. No need to spend more unless you just have money falling out your ears and want to burn it for no reason.

djegators
11-02-16, 08:20
Matt,

Yup...to the folks that say because it is the same forge marks, mean it is the same product, I tell them that is the like saying that all hamburgers are the same, because there are only a few meat packers in the country.

And as has been mentioned, the BCM uppers have a tighter fight to barrel intentionally. On the other hand, I have not been able to stock any BCM uppers for quite some time, but I do get some Aeros on a semi regular basis.

Renegade04
11-02-16, 08:33
glockshooter, you made a good choice. I would have done the same thing. Given the extremely good quality of Aero Precision uppers, why pay $20 more for the big white BCM letters on the BCM upper?

clarkz71
11-02-16, 09:18
^^^what stick said.

I'd have gone with the BCM personally, ESPECIALLY for a $20 bill. That's not a comment against Aero, but rather one FOR Bravo Co.

Same here, no brainer. BCM is top shelf machine work & QC

Hapworth
11-02-16, 09:58
Well well, look who it is.Interesting first post. Care to explain what you're contributing to the discussion?

clarkz71
11-02-16, 10:01
Interesting first post. Care to explain what you're contributing to the discussion?

Must be some "inside joke" ? Maybe they know each other..........

djegators
11-02-16, 10:36
glockshooter, you made a good choice. I would have done the same thing. Given the extremely good quality of Aero Precision uppers, why pay $20 more for the big white BCM letters on the BCM upper?

On a side note, the stripped BCM uppers are not marked in white letters like the complete uppers.

glockshooter
11-02-16, 18:56
Thanks for the replies. I guess I was looking at it to simplisticly.

Matt

mjpgolf1
11-02-16, 19:17
Same here, no brainer. BCM is top shelf machine work & QC

I've never been able to see an actual difference in the machining. The only forged receivers that I've handled that have a slightly better finish and attention to detail were from Mega Arms and Battle Arms Development. Also whatever Aero uses to finish their receivers seems to hold up better to scratches compared to some other manufacturers. They have a slicker feel to them instead of the scratchy chalk like finish found on some other examples. To be clear I don't have a bad thing to say about BCM though. They put out nothing but high quality components. But I just don't see a difference when it comes to receivers machining or fitment. Maybe I've been lucky but all my Aero Upper receivers have had Excellent tolerances with absolutely no issues.