PDA

View Full Version : Ignorance is Bliss - Terror Fears at lowest point since 9/11

Gutshot John
09-11-08, 14:47
Hmmmm.

http://abcnews.go.com/PollingUnit/Politics/story?id=5770674&page=1

RallySoob
09-11-08, 14:57
Some would say to To fear terrorism is ignorance

People love that damn chart...
http://eventmechanics.net.au/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/TerrorAlertChart_SOAP.JPG

Gutshot John
09-11-08, 15:11
Some would say to To fear terrorism is ignorance

http://eventmechanics.net.au/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/TerrorAlertChart_SOAP.JPG

I haven't seen that chart in a while. What people are you referring to?

If you carry concealed it's because you prepare for the nature of a world where bad people want to kill the innocent. From my perspective that's wisdom, not ignorance.

People that make believe that it won't happen are living in self-imposed ignorance. It was the same ignorance that could not fathom what it saw on 9/11.

Remember what most of those people looked like and how they simply run and then staggered around as if they had been bopped on the head like a duck. They couldn't believe what they were seeing was real.

I bet we'll see that look again before too long.

Gutshot John
09-11-08, 15:26

Oh it's a gag, duh.

Seriously though...when was the last time you heard DHS say we're at level Orange? I don't think the chart holds much sway anymore.

Gutshot John
09-11-08, 16:18
So who thinks we're immune from future terror attacks?

9/11 conspiracists can start their own thread.

BushmasterFanBoy
09-11-08, 16:25
We're not immune from terrorism, but to allow fear to grip us in a manner that we give up liberty in order to preserve that liberty is essentially making the fight pointless. Preparation and resolve in face of aggression, not fear, is what will prevail in the face of terrorist attacks.

America must realize that terrorism is not to be feared, but confronted, on every possible level, especially down to the individual, that safety can only be assured by those willing to protect themselves.

The great lesson of 9/11 didn't occur in NYC, it occurred over Pennsylvania. When individuals take it upon themselves to protect themselves, and refuse to be paralyzed by fear, they can stop these violent attacks, and indeed spin them on their head to be turned into measures of futility by the attackers themselves.

Gutshot John
09-11-08, 16:33
We're not immune from terrorism, but to allow fear to grip us in a manner that we give up liberty in order to preserve that liberty is essentially making the fight pointless.

I completely agree. I have profound criticisms as to how the post-9/11 government has evolved and no matter how well intentioned has only reinforced our dependency on the national government.

There is ample legitimate criticism for how this war has been waged at home and abroad.

Preparation and resolve in face of aggression, not fear, is what will prevail in the face of terrorist attacks.

Yep. Which is why I fear that we will see that look I described again. Like stunned chickens...helpless in their inability to face up to the fact that they've been hit.

America must realize that terrorism is not to be feared, but confronted, on every possible level, especially down to the individual, that safety can only be assured by those willing to protect themselves.

Spot on. We all need to take personal responsibility for our safety.

The great lesson of 9/11 didn't occur in NYC, it occurred over Pennsylvania. When individuals take it upon themselves to protect themselves, and refuse to be paralyzed by fear, they can stop these violent attacks, and indeed spin them on their head to be turned into measures of futility by the attackers themselves.

I'm sure I hear Edmund Burke in there somewhere.

Neville
09-12-08, 05:38
IMHO the optimal mindset is when people don't fear terrorism as an uncontrollable force which may bring the western way of living to an end but are aware that isolated incidents can happen. IMHO the more important means of fighting terrorism are defining the values of our civilization and holding them in high esteem. As a culture we - the West - need to get our self confidence back. This can't happen under fear.
And while fundamentalistic islam does worry me, the loss of civil rights due to politicians, who want to make us believe that total security is feasible, is something which has potential to destroy our societies in the long run too. No doubt, I rather live in a police state than in califate, but you have to agree that neither option is really desireable. I once mentioned here that I see "24", where officials torture and ignore every civil right not as pure fiction but as a phantasy offspring of current mindset. Great Britain has gone very far on this- but they had a tradition of gross civil rights offences in the name of "national security":
http://www.davekopel.com/2A/LawRev/SlipperySlope.htm [Chapter IX]

I really wish there was a politician who had the balls to say: "To Bin Laden et all: We will hunt you down in every country you hide- no matter how deep the shithole is you are hiding in. In between you might kill 400 of our people, even 4000 or 400.000, but you can't kill Western way of life, Western philosophy, science and economy- and the most important of all Western civilisations achievements- civil rights and the freedom to think critically. Our military and secret services will deliver deadly blows against your brains and funds, but this is what will finally crush fundamentalistic islam. To all my fellow citizens- don't show fear because that is what they want!" Sadly this can't come from politicians who want to counter blind faith and ideology (in islam) with blind faith and ideology (in christianity). Enlightenment was what brought us wealth, knowledge and civil rights. Englightenment is what will destroy islamic totalitarism as it has destroyed catholic totalitarism,and that is what muslim clerics and conservatives fear most. There is a reason so few muslims in the West study philosophy, but only technical studies! Once you start to reflect & criticise authorities, fanatism takes a backseat.

So my suggestion is: Marginalize them in public- basically ignore them or make fun of them- but hunt them in secret. This will hurt them most. Mass media isn't hurting our cause by critizising our governments, but by spreading hysterical fear. Fear which many politicians- here in Europe as well as in the USA- welcome because they have no other ideas, agendas or clues.

DarkX
09-12-08, 10:03
Not if, but when.

Business_Casual
09-12-08, 10:15
I wouldn't put too much stock in not hearing about the threat level; the whole color-coded levels were Tom Ridge's idea. He isn't there anymore.

M_P

Belloc
09-12-08, 12:13
Edit.

BVickery
09-12-08, 14:42

I fully agree. Your not the only one.

For the full statement check out the offical John McCain (http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/News/PressReleases/Read.aspx?guid=8b9d41cd-0bce-4fe3-9efc-aa379f1d524c) site.

"In the Gospel of John it is written, 'Greater love hath no man than this: that a man lay down his life for his friends.' Such was their love; a love so sublime that only God's love surpasses it. I am in awe of it as much as I am in debt to it. May God bless their souls."

Renegade
09-12-08, 15:38
Since 9/11/2001:

Americans killed by drunks - 120,000
Americans killed by tangos - 0

Know all those who threaten you but more important understand the most likely threats to you and your family. Prepare accordingly.

Gutshot John
09-12-08, 15:59
So those wearing a uniform don't count?

I agree in spirit with the real risks we've taken every day, but there is a difference. Moreover it's not an either/or preposition. I presume you already don't drive drunk.

Let's not pretend that Americans aren't dying every day and while mistakes get made, we all should be well aware of what the dangers being faced exist. I'm not talking about living in fear, I'm talking about recognizing the world as it exists.

With Americans dying overseas, it's shocking that public concern over terrorism is below what it was on Sept 12. Talk about amusing ourselves to death...

LALALA I can't hear you. :rolleyes:

Business_Casual
09-12-08, 16:13
He clearly meant CONUS civilians, don't be a edited vulgar noun.

M_P

Edited by 9x19: there's no need to use such language.

Gutshot John
09-12-08, 16:36
He clearly meant CONUS civilians, don't be a edited vulgar noun.

M_P

I'll edit my response to give you more courtesy than you showed me.

I know exactly what he meant...that was exactly the point.

We're fighting a f*^*&ing war...and Americans go about their lives like everything's hunky-dorey.

Guess you missed that huh? :rolleyes:

Might want to engage that brain before you start typing.

Edited quoted post for vulgarity.

Business_Casual
09-12-08, 16:47
I doubt I am alone in finding the majority of your posts to be condescending, poorly considered and often annoying. Be that as it may, I wish you joy of the day, sir.

I will certainly extend you the same courtesy - I apologize for calling you a name.

M_P

Gutshot John
09-12-08, 16:49
nevermind

Renegade
09-12-08, 21:01
With Americans dying overseas, it's shocking that public concern over terrorism is below what it was on Sept 12. Talk about amusing ourselves to death...

Is that not a testimony to the success of our War On Terror that we no longer feel as threatened by it as we once were?

SethB
09-12-08, 21:21
Terrorism, historically, has never been a huge threat. There is convincing evidence that air pollution from coal fired generation stations kill more Americans every year than terrorism ever has.

And yet, since 9/11, the United States government has spent trillions of dollars of money that it doesn't have to increase security. We've reorganized the Cabinet, gone to war on two fronts and increased operational tempo in dozens of other countries.

We've also taken action against civil rights to a degree scarcely seen since Wilson occupied the White House.

Terrorism isn't like other threats. It engages us on an emotional level. I would like to believe that we can separate our emotions from the decision making process, but I think most people would actually prefer not to.

And I like what Cato said.

JediMindTricks
09-13-08, 08:15
So who thinks we're immune from future terror attacks?

9/11 conspiracists can start their own thread.

I am certain that one day in the future we will will see some sort of attack, but I don't let it grip me with fear. A scared populace will only allow injustices from their gov', and further infringement on their rights. I will never trade my liberty for security!

Gutshot John
09-13-08, 08:20
Is that not a testimony to the success of our War On Terror that we no longer feel as threatened by it as we once were?

Whatever it is, it's pathetic. Success hasn't quite been achieved. When our guys get to go home after achieving their goals at least in one country, it will be a success. I don't feel that we've achieved any lasting success in the wot, especially on the home front, in fact I feel even more vulnerable, mostly due to the apathy of my countrymen and the willingness to pass the buck off to Ma Fed.

It's not that we just "no longer feel threatened". It's that we're pretending it isn't actually happening and that if it does the WH and Congress will just sweep in and make it all go away...'Nope...not my problem...isn't happening'.

The notion that terrorism hasn't been a "historic threat" misses the point. It is a threat, especially for an unprepared public.

I agree that the tremendous waste of government resources to eliminate a threat that can't be wholly eliminated has been damaging, but that's a result of the sheeple demanding that the government take care of all their problems. Where the government has perpetuated this myth, I blame them. Where the people have bought into the myth, I blame us. Charts, DHS, trillions of dollars in spending...and for what?

Does anyone really think that this means the threat has been addressed? I completely agree that we should all accept personal responsibility for our security so that we can live in a free society. That we are no more concerned than we were in 1997 shows the exact opposite reaction. Present company excluded.

People, including good friends of ours, are overseas putting their asses on the line. I don't think it's too much to ask that we as Americans remain cognizant of this sacrifice and what they're doing it for. If that's impossible, than I expect them to pay attention to what's going on.

Sadly the only part of the larger public that seems to care that we have troops overseas is the part that doesn't want them there. At least I can respect that point of view as honorable, even if I recognize the strategic consequences of such a move.