PDA

View Full Version : Colt SP1 ejection questions & fixes

MSW
11-01-16, 21:53
I think I know the answer, but wanted to confirm since I have no experience with SP1s:

1980-ish SP1 carbine--NO Brunton bump--16" skinny barrel shooting Federal XM193 had 1-2 o'clock ejection, ahead of the range shooting line. It has a Colt semi BCG which I replaced as soon as I got home with a Colt FA BCG. It also has a standard carbine buffer, which I was leaning to switching to an H buffer.

Does this make sense to work towards a 3-5 o'clock ejection, or am I being too Obsessive/Compulsive? My Daniel Defense hit 4 o'clock all day. It makes brass clean up easy, and implies less mechanical trauma. The SP1 is nice & I don't want to abuse it.

While shooting, the trigger pin walked & rotated the whole trigger, jamming the hammer & bolt. I need to double check the springs & pins--they look like they drifted after 100 rounds, inducing the jam.

Thank you for the help.

MistWolf
11-02-16, 00:09
If your extractor, extractor spring, ejector and ejector spring are not all up to spec, the whole ejection pattern thing is a waste of time. The ejection pattern thing is more of a suggestion than anything else.

If it were mine, I'd replace the springs (including the action spring) and install an H or H2 buffer and run it

MistWolf
11-02-16, 00:11
I'd also replace the hammer and trigger springs

MSW
11-02-16, 07:12
Thank you-sounds like a good starting point. I appreciate the help.

Renegade04
11-02-16, 07:49
I think I know the answer, but wanted to confirm since I have no experience with SP1s:

1980-ish SP1 carbine--NO Brunton bump--16" skinny barrel shooting Federal XM193 had 1-2 o'clock ejection, ahead of the range shooting line. It has a Colt semi BCG which I replaced as soon as I got home with a Colt FA BCG. It also has a standard carbine buffer, which I was leaning to switching to an H buffer.

Does this make sense to work towards a 3-5 o'clock ejection, or am I being too Obsessive/Compulsive? My Daniel Defense hit 4 o'clock all day. It makes brass clean up easy, and implies less mechanical trauma. The SP1 is nice & I don't want to abuse it.

While shooting, the trigger pin walked & rotated the whole trigger, jamming the hammer & bolt. I need to double check the springs & pins--they look like they drifted after 100 rounds, inducing the jam.

Thank you for the help.

I have a 1981 SP1 Carbine myself. It is all original. It shoots great. If yours does the same, why change anything? To me, the ejection pattern is not a big deal. It is cycles and shoots, that is what matters. There are many guys who are obsessed with ejection patterns for some reason. Different ARs are tuned different ways. Different gas systems, different buffers, and different BCGs. Not all will eject the same using the same ammo. As for the pin issue, that definitely need to be addressed and fixed. I would not be concerned about the buffer. I would not have even bothered changing the BCG. The SP1 Carbine runs well with the semi-auto carrier and a standard carbine buffer.

MSW
11-02-16, 08:00
I understand your point Renegade, but if forward ejection is the result of over-gassing that will beat my collectible AR causing wear sooner, I'd rather tweak it for (hopefully) less wear.

Frankly, the bigger issue is throwing brass forward across the shooting line. Our range officers are vehement about even reaching a hand across this line. Since over half of my brass was literally forward & on the range rather than in the shooting area, I want to keep my life easier & free from threats of being thrown out for crossing the line to pick up brass.

Our range has some colorful characters who love drama & authority.