PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle break reduce your down range sound signature?

ISiman/oh
11-02-16, 05:31
I'm not talking about at close range but speaking more at 300-600 yards and beyond. A muzzle break redirects the expelled gases to the sides reducing recoil but making the blast louder for the shooter. So does this mean less noise makes it to the target? Does it make a significant difference? Little difference? None at all? Does any body have any test or links to test with results.

I'm debating on leaving the J-comp on my long range varmint hunting set up or not. I love the reduced recoil and being able to see my shots land, but the blast for me and my hunting buddies is almost unbearable even with hearing protection.

I know a suppressor would remedy the situation and that process is in the works.
Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eurodriver
11-02-16, 06:38
None at all.

In my experience a brake simply changes the down range noise from a "pop" to a "boom" (generalizing) but there is no change in volume.

tim808
11-02-16, 08:53
if you like the brake/comp, would using both plugs and muffs work till your suppressor arrives?

markm
11-02-16, 15:56
The bullet snap at those distances often is much louder than the muzzle report.

markm
11-02-16, 17:37
In fact.... I remember shooting over some buddies of mine. Two of us had ARs.... on suppressed and one not. The two other guys, 200 yards in front of us could not differentiate the two rifles.

dmd08
11-02-16, 18:16
I've read a discussion that separated the "crack" and the "thump" as two distinct parts of the sound of a firearm and how they relate to determining where and from what distance the incoming fire is coming from.

If I remember correctly the thump gives you direction of incoming fire and the delay between the crack and the thump would indicate the distance you are from the shooter.

It would be interesting to see if a person skilled at this technique noticed a difference between a rifle with an A2, a brake of some sort and a suppressor in trying to determine direction and distance of a shooter.

My assumption is a suppressor would help hide position (at distance)due to muffling the thump. A brake? I don't know.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

markm
11-02-16, 18:47
If I remember correctly the thump gives you direction of incoming fire and the delay between the crack and the thump would indicate the distance you are from the shooter.

This would take some practice and getting used to. I've heard of it too. I remember the first time a rifle bullet flew over my head from 500 yards back... I thought someone was shooting a pistol 50 yards away from me. It spooked me because I thought someone was right up on me when I thought the spot was empty.

dmd08
11-02-16, 19:13
Yes. It's entirely theoretical for me. A curiosity. It is far beyond my skill, ability and experience.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk