PDA

View Full Version : Help finding political cartoon (Vietnam War)

Firefly
11-03-16, 07:33
An older friend of mine last evening was discussing a cartoon he'd seen way back that he said was "spot on" in terms of early 70s attitude.

It had some skinny Marvin Milquetoast guy wearing starched OD asking another guy what Vietnam is like. Other guy has a beard, smoking a filterless, toting an AK underfolder, dirty and grungy and his caption reads "Whaddya askin me for? I just got here a week ago"

I tried googling and cannot find it and want to see it and save it. I have a bit of a fetish, sue me.

It was like a political cartoon and in color (not animated)

Any and all help appreciated.
Thanks in advance

opngrnd
11-04-16, 10:55
I know exactly which cartoon you speak of, but I'm not sure where to find it. If I recall correctly, the first soldier said said he'd only been there a week and the crusty looking one said "me too!".

Firefly
11-04-16, 15:14
http://img.ifcdn.com/images/dafcdcbf08e3a97cd75fcc21985fd10da9cfd72afb275d5ff00fa8f0644405c7_1.jpg

Here it is.

Shout out to AKFAN for finding it.

SteyrAUG
11-04-16, 17:13
http://img.ifcdn.com/images/dafcdcbf08e3a97cd75fcc21985fd10da9cfd72afb275d5ff00fa8f0644405c7_1.jpg

Here it is.

Shout out to AKFAN for finding it.

Guy is wearing a VC/NVA belt. AK selector is on the wrong side, magazine is seated too far to the rear.

Being a gun nerd is hard work.

Doc Safari
11-04-16, 17:25
I've also been told by a couple of Vitenam vets that a US soldier would never just pick up an AK and "make it his combat weapon" like that anyway. For one thing, the AK makes a distinct sound and you're likely to draw fire from your own guys, especially if they can't see you through the foliage.

SteyrAUG
11-04-16, 17:45
I've also been told by a couple of Vitenam vets that a US soldier would never just pick up an AK and "make it his combat weapon" like that anyway. For one thing, the AK makes a distinct sound and you're likely to draw fire from your own guys, especially if they can't see you through the foliage.

There is also the problem of ammo supply and a few other concerns.

The only reason to do it is because your issue weapon is empty / not working and you pick up whatever available weapon is nearby or you are working so far behind the lines that the M-16 signature would be more likely to draw problems than AK fire.

But a lot of it was misconception, for example lots of guys believed the .223 round wouldn't penetrate jungle brush and the reputation of the M-16 as unreliable stayed with it long after manufacturer improvements corrected most problems.

It was really easy for a new recruit who didn't know a lot about guns to think he was given a finicky rifle with an anemic round while his enemy had a weapon that worked under the worst conditions, with a higher magazine capacity and a more effective round. Somewhere on the other side an enemy soldier probably lamented his weapons poor accuracy performance in comparison to the precision weapons of the US soldier and wished he had a lighter, more modern rifle that permitted more rounds to be carried.

dwhitehorne
11-04-16, 18:06
Who knows what the real story was. I use to work with a SGT on the PD who was in Vietnam in 68 and 69. He was a Ranger or Airborne something. He had some pictures he brought one time and one had with him holding an AK. I asked him about the AK and he said his unit was OK with it basically because the bad rap the M16 had. He did say they had a few restrictions like you could only carry it on patrol outside the perimeter and had to put it away back once on the base. He said the forward base he was assigned was one of the only places he was allowed to have an AK. He said he got his from a buddy and passed it off when he left. I worked with him for a few years and he seemed like a no BS guy so I had no reason not to believe him. David

Dienekes
11-04-16, 19:56
The "old guy" bears a certain resemblance to Bill Mauldin's "Joe". Maybe his son or nephew.

Firefly
11-04-16, 20:16
Per AKs and GIs, I know they were used by LRRPs. I wasnt even born yet but I have access to some photos. The way it was explained to me was it was a good pointman/bush rifle. It was a bit more compact with higher capacity. A well maintained AR was well and good but the AK sorta supplanted the Swede K and the M2 Carbine. It was great firing through brush and depending on where one was LRRPing...the whole "distinct sound, preferred weapon of your enemy" was a none issue. Plus the M16 was so distinctly American that the mere silhouette of an AK made people hesitate a bit.

It got tossed for a CAR-15 with 30 rounders once they were a bit more refined and prolific . As it was also explained, your only real source for AK ammo and mags was dead enemy. If you had the means to access them. A lot of times it was cut and run. And not all AKs had a good zero. And Brownelks AK front sight tools were hard to come buy. One might go through a few to find one spot on. When I pressed further I got told "It was just a goddamn gun to me, kid". So....

There it is. I'd sworn off AKs after going through WASRs, SGLs, Norincos etc. Got a milled SAM 7 as a "now or never" deal just to have at least one bad guy gun and I'm holding on to it. I'm temlted to get it refinished a better finish and maybe put wood on it. Or not. Regardless, it is getting a slant brake.

And it might accompany me on daring raids against boars and possums.

Doc Safari
11-04-16, 21:57
Somewhere on the other side an enemy soldier probably lamented his weapons poor accuracy performance in comparison to the precision weapons of the US soldier and wished he had a lighter, more modern rifle that permitted more rounds to be carried.

There was also the "legend" of the devastating wounds the original 5.56 M16's would inflict when the barrels had the really slow 1 in 14 twist rate. A couple of old timers I knew said the original M16's would take an arm completely off, or disembowel the enemy soldier, or blow his head to shards. Since I wasn't there I can't say if that's old soldiers' stories.

nml
11-04-16, 22:06
According to doctors, at sufficient range the exit wounds were huge. Close in they were small (in and out, no expansion), consistent with additional range causing increased instability and yaw resulting in bullet fragmentation and large wounds.