PDA

View Full Version : Which Guns to Stock??

C4IGrant
10-15-06, 11:35
As I await the visit from the ATF, I am pondering which guns to stock in my store. So the question to you, the consumer is what would you like to see in a local gun shop?

Thanks for the input.

C4

VA_Dinger
10-15-06, 11:42
These would be a good way to start:

Glock
Springfield Armory
Kimber
Smith&Wesson
Sig
HK
Colt
Nighthawk
Bushmaster
Arsenal
Remington

Nitrox
10-15-06, 11:49

Glock
Springfield Armory
Kimber
Smith&Wesson
Sig
HK
Colt
Nighthawk
Bushmaster
Arsenal
Remington

Add:

Ruger
Walther
Savage
RRA

Pretty complete list.

musashi666
10-15-06, 11:54
I work at a gunstore here in Grand Rapids, MI.

You can check out our website to see what brands we stock...

www.silverbulletfirearms.com

mark5pt56
10-15-06, 12:40
Grant, I would start out with standard name items, I would not stock any high end stuff until you start getting capital to cover them-most people aren't going to buy these $2000 .45's(leave it at that). Try to market stuff with seasons as well-remember not all buyers are AR related-don't forget the hunters.
When you get big, carry more, but don't try to carry it all at first.

Go to firstshots.org great article on hosting events to boost sales via rentals and classes.

Huge sales on cleaning gear, normal priced lights, knives, holsters, etc, etc--have that stuff in stock and displayed.

You would be suprised with the .22 market-everyone starts somewhere and beyond that with target shooting.

Whoever stands at the counter is your advertisement--make sure you know their knowledge base and sales etiquete. An example who be you stock Glocks and the salesman unknown to you hates them and talks people out of buying them. Or he sells the same buyer that's small statured a full size brand X for concealed carry.

If you get into repair-only do what the business is qualified to do and be honest if you don't.

A start--

Mark

M4arc
10-15-06, 13:01
Glock
Smith & Wesson
Springfield Armory
Sig Sauer
Colt
LMT
Bushmaster (or DPMS/Olympic because they are readily available and priced right for the masses)

I'd keep it simple and stick to the big names. Not to say there aren't others but I see what moves (and what doesn't) around here. As for ARs I'd carry Colt if you can get them but keep lower-end ones in stock to generate sales and to create a demand for accessories. Colts are just too hard to get, let alone keep in stock, so you'll need something that is available and priced to move.

Voodoochild
10-15-06, 13:06
Dinger and Nitrox pretty much covered what I was going to say.

C4IGrant
10-15-06, 13:11
Thanks guys for the inputs. Here is a rough idea at what I am thinking about:

Handguns:

Glock
Kimber
Springfield
Ruger (MKIII .22 pistol)

AR's:

Sabre
LMT
Colt (if I can get an accout)
RRA (mostly for the 9MM stuff)
Custom builds
BCM

Shotguns:

Remy
Beretta

.22 Rifles:

Ruger
Remington
Custom builds

I am 100% in a hunting environment so I know that a lot of the AR's won't sell at all, but will sell on the internet. I know it will take some time to learn the local market and tailor the shop to their needs.

The next major nightmare is ammo! Especially for shotguns and long rifles (bolt guns). There are tons and tons of choices out there and long ago I stopped being interested in hunting. So I have kind of lost track what's hot and what's not. :confused:

C4

C4IGrant
10-15-06, 13:13
Glock
Smith & Wesson
Springfield Armory
Sig Sauer
Colt
LMT
Bushmaster (or DPMS/Olympic because they are readily available and priced right for the masses)

I'd keep it simple and stick to the big names. Not to say there aren't others but I see what moves (and what doesn't) around here. As for ARs I'd carry Colt if you can get them but keep lower-end ones in stock to generate sales and to create a demand for accessories. Colts are just too hard to get, let alone keep in stock, so you'll need something that is available and priced to move.

I hear ya Marc. My problem with a lot of AR makers is that I just don't trust their quality and KNOW what is wrong with them. Being an honest guy, I would have a hard time telling a customer the the Oly or BM is a "Great" AR.

C4

madryan
10-15-06, 13:19
...snip... Being an honest guy, I would have a hard time telling a customer the the Oly or BM is a "Great" AR.

C4

Ya better have yer flame suit on for that remark... :D

I frequent another board that's shotgun focused and some dude asked what the best AR was and someone was convinced that RRA and Bushmaster were "The best" you could get.

C4IGrant
10-15-06, 13:30
Ya better have yer flame suit on for that remark... :D

I frequent another board that's shotgun focused and some dude asked what the best AR was and someone was convinced that RRA and Bushmaster were "The best" you could get.

Oh, I get into it all the time on other boards with folks that like to believe BM and RRA are it! I also own BM and RRA AR's so I do speak from experience. :D

C4

M4arc
10-15-06, 13:36
It's not a matter of convincing them they are great ARs. The price alone will sell them. You're going to need something you can keep in stock, to sell, and pay the utilities with. You won't be able to do that with Colt because you might only get a few in a year. Maybe you can keep a steady stock of LMTs coming in?

mark5pt56
10-15-06, 13:55
Grant, Look into Kimber, CZ and Savage or Marlin in the Hunting arena. The price range is covered for all buyers.

Also, the 6.5 and 6.8 uppers with low cap mags may appeal to hunters with AR's

Mark

C4IGrant
10-15-06, 14:01
It's not a matter of convincing them they are great ARs. The price alone will sell them. You're going to need something you can keep in stock, to sell, and pay the utilities with. You won't be able to do that with Colt because you might only get a few in a year. Maybe you can keep a steady stock of LMTs coming in?

As a dealer, I must get asked my opinion on a piece of gear HOURLY. So I know that walk customers aren't going to be any different.

I am not really worried about keeping a lot of AR's in stock as the area I am in won't be all that interested.

There is next to no money to be made in firearms. I will simply use them as an vehicle to sell accessories (optics, lights, lasers, rails, etc).

C4

C4IGrant
10-15-06, 14:04
Grant, Look into Kimber, CZ and Savage or Marlin in the Hunting arena. The price range is covered for all buyers.

Also, the 6.5 and 6.8 uppers with low cap mags may appeal to hunters with AR's

Mark

Roger Mark. I am familiar with Savage and their bolt guns. I think Marlin will do well too.

You can only hunt deer around here with a shotgun or black powder (read no AR's) so the 6.8 and 6.5 won't sell all that well to the hunting community in this area. I do think it will sell pretty well online though.

C4

Nitrox
10-15-06, 14:18
Grant, how do you intend to position yourself in your local market? For instance, do you intend to be the highend LE dealer who is tactical only, or do you plan on taking the Sportsman's Warehouse type approach?

Trying to hit every niche could be very expensive...

C4IGrant
10-15-06, 14:27
Grant, how do you intend to position yourself in your local market? For instance, do you intend to be the highend LE dealer who is tactical only, or do you plan on taking the Sportsman's Warehouse type approach?

Trying to hit every niche could be very expensive...

I am the ONLY Tactical gunshop with 100 miles or more. Hell, Steve @ ADCO is most likely my only true competition and he is at the other end of the State! :D

So I know that I have the Tactical market nailed shut, but I do have competition in the hunting market (which is what my local customer is going to be interested in). This is the market that I need to grow into.

C4

Nitrox
10-15-06, 14:40
I am the ONLY Tactical gunshop with 100 miles or more. Hell, Steve @ ADCO is most likely my only true competition and he is at the other end of the State! :D

So I know that I have the Tactical market nailed shut, but I do have competition in the hunting market (which is what my local customer is going to be interested in). This is the market that I need to grow into.

C4

This is just my personal opinion but it may be more cost effective to try and capture the local LE and weekend warrior market first and then branch out once you are established. Unless you're willing to pour a lot of money into multiple marketing campaigns you could end up with hunting oriented inventory that does not move (essentially a catch 22 for tied up or wasted initial operating capitol).

Razoreye
10-15-06, 15:06
Thanks guys for the inputs. Here is a rough idea at what I am thinking about:

Handguns:

Glock
Kimber
Springfield
Ruger (MKIII .22 pistol)

AR's:

Sabre
LMT
Colt (if I can get an accout)
RRA (mostly for the 9MM stuff)
Custom builds
BCM

Shotguns:

Remy
Beretta

.22 Rifles:

Ruger
Remington
Custom builds

I am 100% in a hunting environment so I know that a lot of the AR's won't sell at all, but will sell on the internet. I know it will take some time to learn the local market and tailor the shop to their needs.

The next major nightmare is ammo! Especially for shotguns and long rifles (bolt guns). There are tons and tons of choices out there and long ago I stopped being interested in hunting. So I have kind of lost track what's hot and what's not. :confused:

C4Good list. I definitely would stock AR's because you can't find them a lot in gun stores. If you can't move them in the store you'll move them online.

You got the basics covered. The niche market might be some O/Us, some revolvers, and some 1911s. Don't go over board on those as they are generally more expensive or most people only want a few of those. The other stuff should move more and quicker.

You might even see if you can stock some high quality holsters and belts as well instead of the standard (generally cheap ones) you see at other gun stores. You might even try to market to CCW or something like that.

Education might be your biggest seller. Have knowledgable folk that can inform the customer exactly what they're getting. No B.S. gun stories and no blind hatred for company X because of y bogus reasons.

(I had a guy telling me WWB was bad ammo and blew guns up. Then he offered me Winchester silvertips for a kidney. :D The irony was crazy but oh well.)

HAMMERDROP
10-15-06, 15:16
if we the shooting public were able to finance our toys thru a reputable dealer who has it all arranged for us to pick and choose from the above items and wait for the man in the Brown truck... POP ... oh sorry guys I was reading everyones wish list and dozed off almost like when I was a kid we'd get the Speigel catalog about this time of the year and we'd start rooting for Santa ...
But wouldn't it be nice - just think Grant you could be not only the
Worlds Largest Kitchen Table gone Store Front Dealer but you'd finance too! LOL ?

M4arc
10-15-06, 15:40
As a dealer, I must get asked my opinion on a piece of gear HOURLY. So I know that walk customers aren't going to be any different.

I am not really worried about keeping a lot of AR's in stock as the area I am in won't be all that interested.

There is next to no money to be made in firearms. I will simply use them as an vehicle to sell accessories (optics, lights, lasers, rails, etc).

C4

Which is why I'm suggesting you should carry a Bushmaster or RRA or something lower-tier. You'll want to have ARs in stock in order to generate accessory sales and you won't be able to do that with Colt. The Armory in Va Bch hasn't had a single Colt in stock in over two years! However, they sell the living hell out of Bushmasters and Olympics. Bob's in Norfolk laugh at me when I ask about getting a Colt but they've sold plenty of Bushmasters and most recently a lot of the M&P15s. Bob's turns their entire AR stock over weekly!

If you absolutely don't want to sell BM, DPMS or Olympic then S&W might be a solution for you?

Submariner
10-15-06, 15:51
Here's a thought: Don't overlook selling follow-on gear to the guy that shops for or sells his Colt, BM, Glock, whatever on the net and needs someone to do the transfer. Save him a buck on the gun and make him a follow-on customer forever for gear and ammo. You are going to do ammo, right?:D

C4IGrant
10-15-06, 15:52
This is just my personal opinion but it may be more cost effective to try and capture the local LE and weekend warrior market first and then branch out once you are established. Unless you're willing to pour a lot of money into multiple marketing campaigns you could end up with hunting oriented inventory that does not move (essentially a catch 22 for tied up or wasted initial operating capitol).

As most know, my main business is tactical so adding some AR's to it is kind of a no brainer for me. If they don't sell in the store, they will sell online.

I am going to approach the hunting market slowly (maybe special order everything per customer) just to get a feel for what is popular.

C4

Submariner
10-15-06, 15:55
Also consider a pawn license (or know what you can lawfully do when someone brings a gun in for some quick cash). Financing is good.

C4IGrant
10-15-06, 15:58
Good list. I definitely would stock AR's because you can't find them a lot in gun stores. If you can't move them in the store you'll move them online.

You got the basics covered. The niche market might be some O/Us, some revolvers, and some 1911s. Don't go over board on those as they are generally more expensive or most people only want a few of those. The other stuff should move more and quicker.

You might even see if you can stock some high quality holsters and belts as well instead of the standard (generally cheap ones) you see at other gun stores. You might even try to market to CCW or something like that.

Education might be your biggest seller. Have knowledgable folk that can inform the customer exactly what they're getting. No B.S. gun stories and no blind hatred for company X because of y bogus reasons.

(I had a guy telling me WWB was bad ammo and blew guns up. Then he offered me Winchester silvertips for a kidney. :D The irony was crazy but oh well.)

The average house hold income in my area is about $30K so these are not well off folks. I am going to try and cover the lower end hunting market first before I jump into nice shotguns and such.

I am currently a Distr. for Blade Tech and BH (which gives me CQC holsters). Since Ohio is new to the CCW thing, I will address that market as best I can.

I am one deep here (read no employees) so I don't have to worry about any employees giving out false info. My intention is to fix a lot of the problems people find in gun shops (staff that doesn't know anything about the gear they are selling and coming off as AHOLE). This last one, might give me trouble though. :D

C4

C4IGrant
10-15-06, 16:00
if we the shooting public were able to finance our toys thru a reputable dealer who has it all arranged for us to pick and choose from the above items and wait for the man in the Brown truck... POP ... oh sorry guys I was reading everyones wish list and dozed off almost like when I was a kid we'd get the Speigel catalog about this time of the year and we'd start rooting for Santa ...
But wouldn't it be nice - just think Grant you could be not only the
Worlds Largest Kitchen Table gone Store Front Dealer but you'd finance too! LOL ?

LOL, king of the kitchen table dealer no more! :D

C4

C4IGrant
10-15-06, 16:02
Which is why I'm suggesting you should carry a Bushmaster or RRA or something lower-tier. You'll want to have ARs in stock in order to generate accessory sales and you won't be able to do that with Colt. The Armory in Va Bch hasn't had a single Colt in stock in over two years! However, they sell the living hell out of Bushmasters and Olympics. Bob's in Norfolk laugh at me when I ask about getting a Colt but they've sold plenty of Bushmasters and most recently a lot of the M&P15s. Bob's turns their entire AR stock over weekly!

If you absolutely don't want to sell BM, DPMS or Olympic then S&W might be a solution for you?

Sabre was going to be my low end company. They technically aren't low end as they make great barrels and use mil-spec steel, but they are priced to compete with BM.

I might pick up the S&W AR's as well since I think STAG puts out a good product. ;)

C4

C4IGrant
10-15-06, 16:03
Here's a thought: Don't overlook selling follow-on gear to the guy that shops for or sells his Colt, BM, Glock, whatever on the net and needs someone to do the transfer. Save him a buck on the gun and make him a follow-on customer forever for gear and ammo. You are going to do ammo, right?:D

AMMO, knives, web gear, OC Grenades, Smoke grenades, 37MM launchers and beef jerky! :D

C4

C4IGrant
10-15-06, 16:04
Also consider a pawn license (or know what you can lawfully do when someone brings a gun in for some quick cash). Financing is good.

To be honest, I am not really into buying used weapons (unless a 6920 pokes its head through the door). I might do consignment, but that would be it.

C4

mark5pt56
10-15-06, 16:18
Grant, I don't know how Ohio does it in regards to bidding. I would on the bid list of all agencies, hitting sales from all angles.
Concerning LE sales, aside from contracts from the agencies themselves, individual officers may be a market. The surefire lights/holders, boots, etc.

You have two extremes in LE, those who buy everything whether or not they can even use it to the ones who "if it ain't issued, I'm not buying it"

Do clinics on cleaning, etc to bring people in, just to get the word out on the business. You can run your business how you see fit, but I think ones that charge for mounting a scope when they just sold the rifle and scope are missing something.

Mark

C4IGrant
10-15-06, 16:49
Grant, I don't know how Ohio does it in regards to bidding. I would on the bid list of all agencies, hitting sales from all angles.
Concerning LE sales, aside from contracts from the agencies themselves, individual officers may be a market. The surefire lights/holders, boots, etc.

You have two extremes in LE, those who buy everything whether or not they can even use it to the ones who "if it ain't issued, I'm not buying it"

Do clinics on cleaning, etc to bring people in, just to get the word out on the business. You can run your business how you see fit, but I think ones that charge for mounting a scope when they just sold the rifle and scope are missing something.

Mark

Good point. I have already done some low light/no light classes at the local gun club that was is filled with local police. So I am working on the contacts thing as we speak.

I agree on screwing customers that just bought a weapon and an optic from you.

C4

M4arc
10-15-06, 18:25
Sabre was going to be my low end company. They technically aren't low end as they make great barrels and use mil-spec steel, but they are priced to compete with BM.

I might pick up the S&W AR's as well since I think STAG puts out a good product. ;)

C4

I think Sabre and S&W are excellent choices! I've been very happy with the Sabre stuff I own and they do make great barrels. That Sabre mid-length barrel I own is positively outstanding.

Please, don't degrade yourself to pawn shop status...

mark5pt56
10-15-06, 19:08
Great job, some smaller agencies may not get that training at all. It starts there and next thing you know they are buying carbines from you along with all the support items.

Mark

DrMark
10-15-06, 20:18
Speaking of the hunting market, Grant, I'd check out what the local places (from small places to Wal-Mart) are selling. That should give you an idea of what is popular in your area. You may be able to use that information to find a niche to exploit.

Of course, you can't go head to head on price with a Wal-Mart, but you can offer customer service they can't. A local shop here told me when people ask him if he stocks a Remington 870 Express, he says nope - try Wal-Mart. He says he'd pay more than Wal-Mart sells them for.

Business_Casual
10-15-06, 20:22
To be honest, I am not really into buying used weapons (unless a 6920 pokes its head through the door). I might do consignment, but that would be it.

C4

I grew up in Ohio and if you are going to serve "hunters" then you might have a niche. It always seemed the "hunters" would buy a shotgun for dove/deer season, sell it back to the shop at a loss and buy it again the next year. Just an observation on the market.

M_P

C4IGrant
10-16-06, 09:02
Great job, some smaller agencies may not get that training at all. It starts there and next thing you know they are buying carbines from you along with all the support items.

Mark

The local Sheriff's are allowed to carry AR's in ANY config they want! So I imagine that I will be Mr. Popularity very soon. :D

C4

C4IGrant
10-16-06, 09:03
Speaking of the hunting market, Grant, I'd check out what the local places (from small places to Wal-Mart) are selling. That should give you an idea of what is popular in your area. You may be able to use that information to find a niche to exploit.

Of course, you can't go head to head on price with a Wal-Mart, but you can offer customer service they can't. A local shop here told me when people ask him if he stocks a Remington 870 Express, he says nope - try Wal-Mart. He says he'd pay more than Wal-Mart sells them for.

I have looked at a couple places. Luckily, the local Wally World never has anything in stock and is VERY small.

C4

C4IGrant
10-16-06, 09:04
I grew up in Ohio and if you are going to serve "hunters" then you might have a niche. It always seemed the "hunters" would buy a shotgun for dove/deer season, sell it back to the shop at a loss and buy it again the next year. Just an observation on the market.

M_P

I have seen this first hand time and time again. I am almost thinking to about doing "loaner" guns just for deer season!

C4

Submariner
10-16-06, 09:08
I am almost thinking to about doing "loaner" guns just for deer season!

Think: LIABILITY for the product and negligent entrustment for its use.

C4IGrant
10-16-06, 09:10
Think: LIABILITY for the product and negligent entrustment for its use.

I know, was more of a joke than anything. It is a good idea though! ;)

C4

jmart
10-16-06, 13:23
What percentage of store revenue do you expect from self defense/tactical sales? Now that you are back in OH, do you expect to stock and sporting shotguns and/or muzzleloaders? OH does not allow centerfire rifles for deer so it's either slugs or muzzleloaders or bows. Plus there's bird and rabbit hunters back there. Not sure of your market and whether or not portion of the market is being served, but I would expect you could generate some sales by including them as well.

For tactial:

Glock, S&W, Sig, SA, Kimber, Browning

Either BM or RRA, BCM, maybe Colt

Any clothing lines? Any nylon lines?

Any reloading equipment?

Nathan_Bell
10-16-06, 17:22
I think Sabre and S&W are excellent choices! I've been very happy with the Sabre stuff I own and they do make great barrels. That Sabre mid-length barrel I own is positively outstanding.

Please, don't degrade yourself to pawn shop status...

Too much of a bitch to be one in Ohio anyhow, I hit a couple in WV and all the shop owners there say they could not operate a Pawn shop in OH.

K.L. Davis
10-16-06, 17:33
Naturally, a large part of this is what "type" of shop you want to be known as... you know how folks like to pick from the feel of things, be it general store; military/le stuff; midwest game hunting; target; gamesman...

My first shop (in '84) had 40 new guns... I was smithing for a couple of shops and able to see what was selling and what people wanted that was not in stock, so that is what I put on the shelfs -- I can say that I wish like hell I had about half of those guns right now!

What I might suggest is that you pick the types of guns you want to deal in and then hit the larger firearms auctions on the 'net and see what is popular, what the demand is and how they are selling... just a thought?

C4IGrant
10-16-06, 17:39
Thanks guys for the info and thoughts. The nice ATF lady comes out tomorrow. :D

C4

Nathan_Bell
10-16-06, 17:52
Ok, I have sorta first hand knowledge on what moves in a poor Ohio gunshop.
Friends of mine opened a gunshop in Lisbon, Ohio a year ago August. I, work the counter sometimes when they are hammered (busy not inebriated.) I have walked more than a few folks through purchasing firearms, and in a few cases not purchasing. I have a mfg list and date in and date out for all sales during that time in an excel sheet, no demographic or model data, so going on memory on some details.
A conclusions I can draw from it.

Don't stock Benellis of the dozen they had to purchase for "dealer" status, two are unsold after 13 months ( when I collected this data) and 6ish of them took over 8 months to move.

Don't stock mutiple matched sets of Beretta SASS guns, big expensive booboo there.

Get some muzzle loaders in, but only a few. They sat on two encores and two CVA's

Glocks are good. In moderation

Heritage 22 revolvers are great little sellers.

Hi Points they sold 34 of them in one year. Get them, stock a few and see. Worst case, your are out couple hundred buck, but I really doubt it.

They are a Kimber master dealer, mainly for the name, most of the sales they did with them were to get the master dealer level. But the guns sell.

Don't over do it with shotties, they have a bunch of Mossbergs collecting dust on the shelves.

Magnum research Baby Eagles in 45 have done well for them.

Remington, they have sold a good many of them, but I dont have a mdel brreak down on them, sorry.

Ruger's they have moved a lot of them. 22 pistols, O/U and some bolt guns.

Savage rifles seem to do pretty good.

The Remington Spartan SxS shotties seem to do alright. Think they bought them two at a time and have one left. Coach gun

Springfield XD's they have sold a good number of those,

Taurus revolvers moved 34 of them

A couple things I have noticed:
High Powered rifles sit a long time,
Keep the price point for walk in guns below $400-$500 they will not make much money, but you can move them and keep folk coming back to see what you have.
Stock a buncha slugs come deer season, hillbillies like to blast and then buy more.

C4IGrant
10-16-06, 18:53
Good stuff here (thanks). It amazes me what kind of junk the mass consumer will buy (Hi-Point and baby eagles). :rolleyes:

C4

Nathan_Bell
10-16-06, 19:08
Good stuff here (thanks). It amazes me what kind of junk the mass consumer will buy (Hi-Point and baby eagles). :rolleyes:

C4

Welcome back to Ohio :D

They have a clientele that special orders and picks up higher priced stuff, but most of the folks call me all kinds of a fool when they hear what I have in my "plastic" rifles.
A lot of them have the Davie Crocket disorder as well, you just have to nod, let them blather, and try not to let them contaminate any others in the shop.

Another thing that works well for their walk in business, scopes below $250.

Dport
10-16-06, 20:40
Grant,
Don't discount FN. They have a little bit of everything. The FNP and it's little brother the FNP-M is an excellent gun and will be available in .45ACP next year. The SLS, their semi-auto shotgun is very nice. And they have the tacticool Winchester 1300 you can dress up with AR accessories.:D
They also have bolt guns for the hunters out there. And one day, if we're lucky, the civy version of the SCAR. They don't seem to have any aversion to marketing the .mil type guns they legally can.

C4IGrant
10-17-06, 08:06
Grant,
Don't discount FN. They have a little bit of everything. The FNP and it's little brother the FNP-M is an excellent gun and will be available in .45ACP next year. The SLS, their semi-auto shotgun is very nice. And they have the tacticool Winchester 1300 you can dress up with AR accessories.:D
They also have bolt guns for the hunters out there. And one day, if we're lucky, the civy version of the SCAR. They don't seem to have any aversion to marketing the .mil type guns they legally can.

I like what FN offers and will stock them as well.

So many guns, so little time. :D

C4

KYPD
10-17-06, 10:23
Grant:

Go to Vances in Columbus and ask/see what they sell. Ohio deer season is shotgun or muzzleloader, no rifles, as you know.

You won't see many ARs at Vances because they are illegal in Columbus proper, but it will give you a good idea of what else sells well in the State.

KYPD

Joseywales
10-17-06, 19:37
I recommend that you do not stock too much of the same thing. Here is what I would do:

1. Get stats from each manufacturer on how much of each product they sell. Then stock what you think will be the quickest movers

2. Advertise group buys. You will get better pricing on bulk orders.

3. Only stock one of each model at the most. If it sells, you will spend less money on buying another than you will on inventory taxes.

4. Having a range makes sales a lot easier

5. Having a place in your store for customers to sit and bullshit and read magazines is a great way to attrack business if your store is usually empty

6. Offer soft drink vending machines and some sort of snack machine. If customers are hungry and temped to eat, they will spend money. It is the supermarket effect. Resturaunts who vent their kitchens directly to the roof at high speed tend to get more business. Supermarkets that have food cooking at the deli tend to get more sales in all catagories. People associate the desire for supplies with their desire to stop their stomach from groweling. Good psychological tool.

7. Learn item placement. They have marketing books on this and it works.

8. Offer services like duracoat, a gunsmith that is bonded and insured (you can send it out), and charge low fees for transfers. You can get big bucks for transfers alone. Offer discounts if they transfer 5 times, they get $20 to 30 off a gun purchase from you. That could be locking in $110 per customer.

9. Having someone come in to teach classes is a great way to attract clients. Offer and AK build clinic and have kits on hand for them to buy to assemble as they learn. Same for AR15. You may sell more guns in a week than you would in a year.

10. Offer CCW classes. Get the local professional tactical trainers to work out a discount program with you

11. Have books and magazines on sale.

12. Clothing and tactical equipment sells.

13. Local shooting range affiliations, gun clubs, and hunting clubs may bring customers from both ends.

C4IGrant
10-18-06, 09:00
Thanks much JW!

C4

SHIVAN
10-18-06, 20:12
Ohio has weird hunting laws, not all areas allow centerfire rifles all year or maybe not at all, etc.

I would suggest carrying the staples of any gun store:

Kimber
GLOCK
Springfield
SiGARMS
Colt
Remington
Beretta
Browning

You can cover nearly everyone if you have a good selection of each of those, or can get them fairly quickly.

Might I suggest a steep discount for having us help you get your master license in each? :cool:

mark5pt56
10-18-06, 20:21
Having a place in your store for customers to sit and bullshit and read magazines is a great way to attrack business if your store is usually empty

Make that a Starbucks franchise, with a Subway in it----------

BushmasterFanBoy
10-18-06, 21:52
I hear ya Marc. My problem with a lot of AR makers is that I just don't trust their quality and KNOW what is wrong with them. Being an honest guy, I would have a hard time telling a customer the the Oly or BM is a "Great" AR.

C4

BM may not be the best, but it suits the needs of the recreational shooter just fine. Remeber, most people aren't into AR's, and even fewer are into really high end AR's. Bushmaster has a lot of positive reputation going around and most people who do their research and don't see the advantages of a Colt end up buying Bushmaster. It has become extremely popular and many first time buyers who have done some degree of research will probably just walk right in ask for a BM. It is a pretty big name and I'm sure stocking them will make sales a lot easier.

It's your store though, stock it how you want, but I think that going AR's narrows sales enough without having to stock only high end AR's.

Oh snap! I just rembered my user name! What a coincidence!:D

C4IGrant
10-19-06, 08:59
Ohio has weird hunting laws, not all areas allow centerfire rifles all year or maybe not at all, etc.

I would suggest carrying the staples of any gun store:

Kimber
GLOCK
Springfield
SiGARMS
Colt
Remington
Beretta
Browning

You can cover nearly everyone if you have a good selection of each of those, or can get them fairly quickly.

Might I suggest a steep discount for having us help you get your master license in each? :cool:

I am actually not opposed to that idea. :D

C4

C4IGrant
10-19-06, 09:05
BM may not be the best, but it suits the needs of the recreational shooter just fine. Remeber, most people aren't into AR's, and even fewer are into really high end AR's. Bushmaster has a lot of positive reputation going around and most people who do their research and don't see the advantages of a Colt end up buying Bushmaster. It has become extremely popular and many first time buyers who have done some degree of research will probably just walk right in ask for a BM. It is a pretty big name and I'm sure stocking them will make sales a lot easier.

It's your store though, stock it how you want, but I think that going AR's narrows sales enough without having to stock only high end AR's.

Oh snap! I just rembered my user name! What a coincidence!:D

I intend to stock Sabre Defence as my low end model. If folks want a BM, I will order it for them.

I will however have the advantage with Sabre as their complete weapons are about $200 below BM's. ;)

C4

bigant
10-19-06, 13:55
After some tought, I would Stock the following and IMO it doesnt matter if you dont sell some of the items in your store. Since you are going to sell items via the Internet. Plus having different products on display will help with attracking customers.

Sigarms
HK
Kimber
Glock(Everyone wants a Glock)
Springfield
Remington
Savage
RRA or DPMS(Brand alot of people know about)
High End/Special Order

Bushnell
Nikon
Leupold

Muzzleloader(Knight's or Thompson Center)
C&R Weapons(Everyone wants a rifle and these are cheap)
AK(This is a huge hobby)

Holsters
Gun Case's
Handgun Lock Box(Since if memory serve's me in Ohio you have to have your Handgun Locked up when in the car)

When ever you need help to acheive Master Level do a Group Buy and give out huge discounts to us! Also maybe go to a Gunshow and pass out Brochure discussing what you stock and what you specialize in. Since a lot of people will drive a little way's to get what they need or handle a product.

Vending Machine is a great Idea...Stools(?) Maybe duing Deer Season Stocking Bait.

Ant

jmart
10-19-06, 15:00
A raised stage, a pole and mirrors!:D

Maybe get that LaRue model to come in and display her hardware.

DrMark
10-19-06, 16:47
A raised stage, a pole and mirrors!:D

Maybe get that LaRue model to come in and display her hardware.

Somehow I don't see that as too likely. The company ain't called G Tactical, it's G & R Tactical!

jmart
10-19-06, 16:54
Somehow I don't see that as too likely. The company ain't called G Tactical, it's G & R Tactical!

I hear ya.

Alpha Sierra
10-19-06, 18:12
Handgun Lock Box(Since if memory serve's me in Ohio you have to have your Handgun Locked up when in the car)

Hi there. New member here and Ohio resident. Your memory is almost right. You can lock the gun up while you drive or you can wear it in plain sight on your person.

An IWB holster with the garment pulled back to expose the weapon works just fine for that.

Hopefully our new Governor will sign the bill stuck in the Senate now that will fix this idiotic law, as well as overrule all the inane local gun ordinances in the libtard cities (Columbus, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Toledo, Dayton, and Akron).

olds442tyguy
10-20-06, 21:21
Loricin, Jennings, Bersa......... I kid, I kid. :D

Definately have some traditional firearms that also have tactical variants. A traditional M14 sitting next to an M4 would be an extreme difference to most traditional gun owners, but if there was a SOCOM 16 sitting in between them, they'd probably be a little more accepting.

You can do the same with handguns, bolt guns, and shotguns. Ease them into the "tactical" market one step at a time. Your average non black rifle owner won't have an interest in them in the beginning, but if he can relate to the platform, he may be more inclined to consider such firearms.

RyanS
10-20-06, 21:49
I agree with the on-sight range if it's possible. Huge liability...but it brings in loads of business. The business opportunities are tremondous. At my local shop, on S&W Demo Days for instance, there is absolutely no room to move and there are usually people waiting outside to get in. You can host league shoots...from January to March every Monday night we have an informal IDPA shoot. Lots of guys buying stuff to keep up with eachother. Other nights, they have a bullseye league and on others, they have the .22 league. They've talked about hosting GSSF shoots several times. You can host SD courses. You could also run rentals. On any given Saturday or Sunday after the snow flies, the range is packed with folks who are bored or who want to try a gun out before they buy.

Hawkeye
10-21-06, 08:16
Just to throw my $.02 in. A lot of what to stock depends on how big you want to try and get/be and how fast, etc.

For handguns, I'd say S&W, Kimber, Springfield, H&K, Sig, and Glock. Have someone like Nighthawk or other higher end maker as a special order source.

As for AR's and other long guns completely up to you. I will just say that I wouldnt count Sabre as a "low end" AR personally. I am EXTREMELY happy with the ones I/we have. In fact, I like them quite a bit better than all but 1 of my past Bushmasters.

I'd say Remington for their 700P line. I think they have a TON of bang for the buck. Very happy with mine.
I'd also look at FN. If I wanted a shotgun, they would be at the top of my list. Their handguns, while not a $2000 gun, are nice. Their bolt guns are awesome as well.

A lot of it, again, is what your comfortable with. When I was planning my gun store, I decided to keep from having too many competing brands of the same items.
IE - Have only FN and Rem. bolt guns. Keeps people from getting too confused with choices, and makes it easier for you to focus on just those two brands as far as features, etc.
Same with shotguns. Rem and FN.
Handguns, S&W for revolvers and M&P's. Glock of course. H&K and SIG are similary set competitors, though I have been more and more impressed with some of Sigs offerings and future plans (at least from what the Sig rep was telling me when I was working at my local gun store). Like wise Kimber and Springfield for 1911's.

As for AR's. Thats one area where having multiple brands is not all that bad. However, even there, I would keep it to as few as possible, maybe focusing on putting together your own "setups", and having other brands available upon request. I'd be set up with BM to order as needed. LMT, Sabre, CMT, Magpul, Larue, DD, VLTOR, Noveske, CMMG. I am sure there is someone I am missing.

C4IGrant
10-21-06, 08:44
I was not saying that Sabre is a low end manufacturer, but that they have lower prices. I think they are high in quality for sure!

C4

jmart
10-21-06, 11:11
I was not saying that Sabre is a low end manufacturer, but that they have lower prices. I think they are high in quality for sure!

C4

Do you think your average customer though will make that connection? He's heard of Bushmaster and in his mind they are a good weapon. I can just see you trying to spend all your time trying to explain that Sabre is as good as or even better than BM. How successful do you think you'd be?

I'd stock BM's and since you alreday have a MOACK's tool, I'd just add additional stakes, replace extractor springs and inserts with HD ones and sell all you can.

C4IGrant
10-21-06, 11:36
Do you think your average customer though will make that connection? He's heard of Bushmaster and in his mind they are a good weapon. I can just see you trying to spend all your time trying to explain that Sabre is as good as or even better than BM. How successful do you think you'd be?

I'd stock BM's and since you alreday have a MOACK's tool, I'd just add additional stakes, replace extractor springs and inserts with HD ones and sell all you can.

The Sabre will be at least $200 cheaper (money talks). It is very easy for me to explain the differences. If the customer still wants a BM, then I will order him one. I won' refuse any special order. :D

Everyone stocks BM. I like to be different and in the process educate the consumer. Most shooters appreciate that I am not just another seller trying to make a buck on whatever will move the fastest.

I also don't believe that my local customers are going to be all that interested in AR's. So I have to think about what I can move online as well. Sabre has a strore front dealer program (targeted specifically at FFL's with store fronts). That means that I get better pricing than most any of my online competitors. This savings will allow me to offer package deals (with rails and such) to the consumer. ;)

C4

Hawkeye
10-21-06, 11:58

C4

I realized that after re-reading...

Bryson
10-22-06, 22:22
I know I'm a little late to the party on this one, but please stock CZ pistols, parts, and magazines. They have a loyal following and finding places local that have parts is often impossible.

themadhatter
10-23-06, 08:18

Glock
Springfield Armory
Kimber
Smith&Wesson
Sig
HK
Colt:rolleyes:
Nighthawk
Bushmaster
Arsenal
Remingtonrockriver

davemcdonald
10-23-06, 15:36
Ok here is my two cents

Gaining a master dealer/distributor status, or whatever the manufacturer calls their program, is great for advertising. Unfortunately many companies require dealers to carry a full line of the name brand gear, clothing and associated paraphernalia as well as a full line of their guns to qualify for their best-friend dealer status. So you may want to consider shelf/floor space and whether the status is worth the commitment. Also many companies will refuse to give you "master" status if you are a "master" dealer with their direct competition.

Find out what the local law enforcement agencies carry. My local gun shop is owned by a retired Baltimore Police officer and his son. They have contracts with many of the city PDs in this area for duty weapons therefore they move a lot of Kimbers and Glocks. They also advertise in the monthly newsletters for the local ranges.

Handguns
Kimber, Springfield, Colt, Smith and Wesson
Glock and Sig
You can cover a lot of ground with those six companies and get anything else you need from a distributor.

Your low end "husband killers' like the Hi-point and Bersa may be an embarrassment to carry but they move rapidly.

Since deer is hunted with shotguns in that part of the country, I wouldn't spend too much time with hunting styled bolt guns.

A low light/no light class is a great idea and would give you a chance to showcase the brand name lights as well as your custom line.

Since the deputies can carry ARs maybe a AR workshop could do some good. Let them know what you can do for them and what equipment is available

This is just my BS opinion. I hope it helps

Dave

C4IGrant
10-23-06, 16:11
Ok here is my two cents

Gaining a master dealer/distributor status, or whatever the manufacturer calls their program, is great for advertising. Unfortunately many companies require dealers to carry a full line of the name brand gear, clothing and associated paraphernalia as well as a full line of their guns to qualify for their best-friend dealer status. So you may want to consider shelf/floor space and whether the status is worth the commitment. Also many companies will refuse to give you "master" status if you are a "master" dealer with their direct competition.

Find out what the local law enforcement agencies carry. My local gun shop is owned by a retired Baltimore Police officer and his son. They have contracts with many of the city PDs in this area for duty weapons therefore they move a lot of Kimbers and Glocks. They also advertise in the monthly newsletters for the local ranges.

Handguns
Kimber, Springfield, Colt, Smith and Wesson
Glock and Sig
You can cover a lot of ground with those six companies and get anything else you need from a distributor.

Your low end "husband killers' like the Hi-point and Bersa may be an embarrassment to carry but they move rapidly.

Since deer is hunted with shotguns in that part of the country, I wouldn't spend too much time with hunting styled bolt guns.

A low light/no light class is a great idea and would give you a chance to showcase the brand name lights as well as your custom line.

Since the deputies can carry ARs maybe a AR workshop could do some good. Let them know what you can do for them and what equipment is available

This is just my BS opinion. I hope it helps

Dave

Thanks Dave!

C4

mtdawg169
10-24-06, 07:51
Grant, most of the brands have been covered here. Ideally, a combination of affordable and mid line quality would be the best mix for the average shooter / hunter. How about these longuns:

Shotguns:
Winchester 1300
Browning Gold autos / Citori O/U
Mossbergs for the "value" shopper
Remington autos & pumps
Benelli
import O/U shotguns in the $500 range have been huge sellers too. They're no where near the quality of a Ruger or Browning, but alot of folks can't or won't spend that kind of $$, but want to shoot an o/u.

Rifles:
mostly Remington & Winchester of varying flavors
some Browning A Bolts
Savage
Kimbers for the high end spenders

These all seem to do very well here in the South. There may be some brand loyalty differences in your neck of the woods, but these brands offer a wide variety of configurations, esp. in the shotgun arena. Benelli SBE is a really hot shotgun right now.

For pistols, I'd be wary of getting too much inventory in the high end guns since they tend to get looked at more than sold. But, variety & quality tend to make people want to come back more often, browse through and usually pick up a couple of things every trip.

Handguns:
GLOCK
Kimber
Springfield
S & W revolvers
a couple of HK USP's
Sig
Wilson Combat or comparable

9DivDoc
10-25-06, 18:55
As I await the visit from the ATF, I am pondering which guns to stock in my store. So the question to you, the consumer is what would you like to see in a local gun shop?

Thanks for the input.

C4

I like to see the basic American Family Firearms
Ruger 10/22 77/22 77/17HMR SP101 & GP100

Smith & Wesson 317 22LR and the Lt Wt .357 series as well as the Air Wts .38 Specials and their M&Ps and 1911s

Then I like to see the Remingtons 700s and 870s 12 and 20 g

Next I'd like to see the Benelli Shotguns

Followed by the Winchester/FN shotties and Bolt Action Rifles

Naturally a nice brace of ARs is in order....Colt..gotta have Colt and Stag and Bushy
and Rock River and Custom ARs from Bravo Company and G&R

Glock and Sig should be well represented as well as a few 1911s...and CZs

Dont forget your varmint,small game,turkey,waterfall,upland bird,and deer hunters

Ruger,Savage,Remington,Winchester,Thompson,CZ,Benelli rifles and shotties...

and don't forget your cowboy action shooters...black powder...and wheelgunners...

reloading supplies....

Gotta have some airguns,paint ball guns and archery....

Then there are the Optics scopes & binocs....Leupy,Nikon,Burris, Zeiss,Swarovski,S&B,Aimpoint,Eotech,Doctor,Meopta,

Then you gotta have bait...traps...pizza,subs....donuts....pop and beer....gas & oil..
Propane...Coleman fuel...Coffee..milk...

And Air fills for Paint Ball as well as Tippman guns and bulk paintballs...rebag em and mark em up...

And Jewelry....gotta have jewelry and nicknacs in a separate area for the wives to spend time in so they arent at their husband's elbows trying to get them to hurry up outta there....

I probably forgot a bunch a stuff...but thats pretty much what the gas station bait shop pizza place gun store feed mill has where I spend much of my time....:)