PDA

View Full Version : Lazy Reloader Question ... Neck Turning Primed Brass (?!)

30 cal slut
11-05-16, 18:31
So I'm loading up a few hundred rounds for an upcoming PR class.

I am using primed .308 WW cases (I ordered them that way because they were on sale).

Probably not a good idea to neck turn a primed case?

I've never done it before, I turn 'em before I prime 'em.

Gun is a bolt action blaster...doesn't have a match chamber, it's not like I have to do it but it does help with accuracy.

I'm told we'll be shooting out to 600 yds. Leaning towards Sierra 168 gr BTHP and some IMR-4064.

I'm feeling pretty lazy guys, talk me out of this. lol.

thanks.

-slut

markm
11-05-16, 21:15
Why on God's earth are you neck turning at all? And Win's brass already has paper thin, annoying ass necks. You're killing me, Smalls.

30 cal slut
11-05-16, 21:23
lol, thanks for the moral support.

P2000
11-05-16, 22:26
If you want to be lazy, just sort what you have by neck thickness variation. Get rid of the weirdos, and be done with it.
Or just shoot them all.

waveslayer
11-05-16, 23:06
Also, run the 175's. No reason not to.

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

wilson1911
11-06-16, 00:03
Not sure what to say.....other than.....if you turn your brass, you better buy a case extractor or it will be a quick range trip:lol:. Your post shows very little thought and research on it.

600 yards is not very far anyway. I would spend my time on tuning your gun and shooting until the class.

FYI, I do neck turn all my brass, even my mighty lapua cases.

markm
11-06-16, 14:20
Some shooters get chambers cut really tight to where the necks need to be turned... especially Fed, Lapua, etc... with the meaty necks. But factory guns? I've never found it necessary.

waveslayer
11-06-16, 14:25
You only need to turn necks if your brass measures differently in your necks. If it's that much of a variance you turn them to get them consistent to improve accuracy

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns