PDA

View Full Version : Apple Watch?

Eurodriver
11-06-16, 11:19
I know nothing about these things, but I can get one fo' free. It seems like a decent way to read a text without pulling out your phone, but I'm not sure what other benefits they have.

Anyone have one? What are they good for?

Digital_Damage
11-06-16, 11:25
pieces of shit.

Any watch that is $350 and has "reportedly 18 hours" of battery life is retarded. I have had 8 co-workers switch to other devices (like the blaze) after one month.

firefighter37
11-06-16, 12:20
For free... do it. My old lady has one, and she likes being able to glance at text messages without pulling her phone out of her purse or pocket.

Firefly
11-06-16, 12:21
You just....wont ever be Dick Tracy.

usmcvet
11-06-16, 12:42
If it's free go for it. The battery life has improved and it's finally water resistant. I wouldn't buy one because I'd break it. I want the things it offers but it needs to be rugged for me to spend the coin.

Ryno12
11-06-16, 13:01
pieces of shit.

"Pieces of shit" as in made of cheap components, they break easily & don't work well?

Or...

"Pieces of shit" as in you just don't like them?

Digital_Damage
11-06-16, 13:27
"Pieces of shit" as in made of cheap components, they break easily & don't work well?

Or...

"Pieces of shit" as in you just don't like them?

"Pieces of shit" as in constant rebooting and sync issues, as well has the terrible battery life. Who wants to have to worry about their watch battery every time they think about going to happy hour?

Also

"Pieces of shit" as in you bang your wrist against the door getting in your car and it breaks.

_Stormin_
11-06-16, 18:46
I'm thinking that Digital Damage has an axe to grind...

I have one, love it. Plenty of automatics, but this watch gets worn the most. Its a first gen that I have had for a year. Shockingly, I'm not light on it and the thing isn't at all broken from tapping the car door. I use it to track my runs, love the thing for distances on the golf course, etc...

And yes, leaving your phone in your pocket while glancing at your wrist to read a text message is kinda nice. Probably one of my favorite features at work.

Ak44
11-06-16, 18:49
I'll wait until the Apple Watch 5 comes out...I figure in a few years it'll be everything I need and more with excellent battery life, durability, cellular capability, etc etc.

JoshNC
11-06-16, 19:20
For free, take it and see if you like it. Personally I have absolutely no desire to wear a watch that connects me digitally even more so than I am now. I need less connectivity, not more.

Firefly
11-06-16, 19:22
You could always hock it or sell it on ebay for magazine/ammo money

Hmac
11-06-16, 19:39
"Pieces of shit" as in constant rebooting and sync issues, as well has the terrible battery life. Who wants to have to worry about their watch battery every time they think about going to happy hour?

Also

"Pieces of shit" as in you bang your wrist against the door getting in your car and it breaks.

Your experience with the Apple Watch appears to be ..... unique.

I've been wearing one for about a year. Works fine. As mentioned, it's nice to get text messages, calendar notices, even answer phone calls without having the phone right there. Battery life is quite good...48 hours, even a little more since the last OS update.

hatidua
11-06-16, 20:30
My 5513 has been running just fine, day-in/day-out since January of 1983. When it quits, I'll think of finding another watch...and whether it's free or not, it won't be some chinese electronic thing that shows me texts.

Hmac
11-06-16, 20:35
My 5513 has been running just fine, day-in/day-out since January of 1983. When it quits, I'll think of finding another watch...and whether it's free or not, it won't be some chinese electronic thing that shows me texts.

My Rolex Daytona works great too, since 1994. But it doesn't get text messages or calendar updates. Design flaw on Rolex' part, no doubt.

Sensei
11-06-16, 21:02

Also

Are you speaking from experience? If so, yours differs from mine.

I've had mine for about 7 months. Battery life is 16+ hours. If I get up at 0530, it is at 10-15% battery life at 10PM when I take it off. That is with fairly regular use during the day.

In terms of functionality, I use it to discretely check texts and email all the time. It also does a reasonable job as a microphone for my cell calls as I can carry on a conversation with my hands at my sides. The map app is pretty cool as is the activity/fitness tracker.

Is it indispensable like my phone? Nope. But I do notice it when it's gone.

steyrman13
11-06-16, 22:49

I've been wearing one for about a year. Works fine. As mentioned, it's nice to get text messages, calendar notices, even answer phone calls without having the phone right there. Battery life is quite good...48 hours, even a little more since the last OS update.

Mine reflects DD's experience on 2 different watches and 3 different phones. Sync issues, messages not appearing or if you don't catch the notification fast enough good luck trying to read it on the watch. Also battery life is horrible. Less than a day of use. And that's with most features turned off. Just my email and texts killed it in about 7 hours. It was convenient to read a message or map directions without having to pull or hold the phone up. And the water issue which is better on the newest gen.

Double3
11-07-16, 05:50
My wife has one coming today.

If I was a female I might get one.

thei3ug
11-07-16, 05:54
I had one for about six months as well.

Good: Not so much reading, but the haptic notifications, alarms, calendar, phone, text during meetings. The opportunity to review a message without being too distracting. Integration as an activity monitor was nice at first, but I literally do the same activity every day, so monitoring it is like checking to make sure the sun rises each day. Unlocking macs is a nice feature.

Bad: Charging. There were several days so far when the watch was either knocked off the charger or misaligned. Dead. While initially I thought NFC payments would be cool, timing it, there's no real convenience for me compared to using the phone. None of the cute little message features are practical.

Overall, I have been disappointed. Not because it isn't a feature filled device or some technological marvel, but because I don't have a use for it my old watch did. I didn't actually need any of the features the watch brought me.

MichaelVain
11-07-16, 06:57
I love my Apple Watch. I have the first generation and it's become integral in my daily life. It tracks my activity, lets me know when I get new messages or when an incoming phone call is coming in and allows me to answer or not answer. The GPS function is also very good, the haptic responses to remind me it's time to turn is also useful.

The battery life for me is fine. Before I go to bed, I put it on the charger, when I wake up, it's charged. Unless I'm using it heavily for GPS (like driving for 8 hours), I end the day with usually 30% battery left. Charging it to 100% takes about 45 minutes, give or take.

It's also very durable. I have the cheapest model, the aluminum and I've banged it around. The glass is scratch free and the housing is still good. I've gotten it wet, been in a pool, the ocean, the beach, dropped it in the sand, got solvent on it, and it's still fine.

I know people who have bought the Watch and found it doesn't really add much to their lives, but for me, between calls, messages, and activity and GPS, I find it very useful.

If you use your watch a fashion accessory or if you want your watch to be a hand crafted piece of jewelry, it's definitely not for you. If you want something that has some useful functions in a very easy way to access, it's a good device.

Edit: Oh and it does work like Dick Tracy. Many times I'm cooking or chopping meat or vegetables and talking on my watch.

WillBrink
11-07-16, 07:41
I know nothing about these things, but I can get one fo' free. It seems like a decent way to read a text without pulling out your phone, but I'm not sure what other benefits they have.

Anyone have one? What are they good for?

I'm a Mac guy through and through, but for what they can for what they cost, not interested. No doubt the tech will continue develop. For free, why the hell not?

Hmac
11-07-16, 07:49
Mine reflects DD's experience on 2 different watches and 3 different phones. Sync issues, messages not appearing or if you don't catch the notification fast enough good luck trying to read it on the watch. Also battery life is horrible. Less than a day of use. And that's with most features turned off. Just my email and texts killed it in about 7 hours. It was convenient to read a message or map directions without having to pull or hold the phone up. And the water issue which is better on the newest gen.
Weird. I can't relate. None of that has occurred in my use, nor my wife's.

Digital_Damage
11-07-16, 07:50

48 hours is simply not true... mine would not last 24. Even the manual states 18 and apple ALWAYS over estimates battery life.

And not unique, as I have stated several co-workers ditched it after a month. IT is just a gadget with its battery and durability limitations and not practical for a watch.

From the manual

Up to 18 hours
Testing conducted by Apple in August 2016 using preproduction Apple*Watch Series*1, Apple*Watch Series*2, and Apple*Watch Edition, each paired with an iPhone; all devices tested with prerelease software. All-day battery life is based on 18 hours with the following use: 90 time checks, 90*notifications, 45 minutes of app use, and a 30‐minute workout with music playback from Apple*Watch via Bluetooth,*over the course of 18 hours. Battery life varies by use,*configuration, and many other factors; actual results will*vary.

Digital_Damage
11-07-16, 07:54
I'm thinking that Digital Damage has an axe to grind...

I have one, love it. Plenty of automatics, but this watch gets worn the most. Its a first gen that I have had for a year. Shockingly, I'm not light on it and the thing isn't at all broken from tapping the car door. I use it to track my runs, love the thing for distances on the golf course, etc...

And yes, leaving your phone in your pocket while glancing at your wrist to read a text message is kinda nice. Probably one of my favorite features at work.

My Axe is I bought the koolaid and bought one, it is more or less useless for me with its limitations.

Hmac
11-07-16, 08:26
48 hours is simply not true... mine would not last 24. Even the manual states 18 and apple ALWAYS over estimates battery life.

And not unique, as I have stated several co-workers ditched it after a month. IT is just a gadget with its battery and durability limitations and not practical for a watch.

From the manual

Up to 18 hours
Testing conducted by Apple in August 2016 using preproduction Apple*Watch Series*1, Apple*Watch Series*2, and Apple*Watch Edition, each paired with an iPhone; all devices tested with prerelease software. All-day battery life is based on 18 hours with the following use: 90 time checks, 90*notifications, 45 minutes of app use, and a 30‐minute workout with music playback from Apple*Watch via Bluetooth,*over the course of 18 hours. Battery life varies by use,*configuration, and many other factors; actual results will*vary.
With the latest OS update, 48 hours is routine.

MichaelVain
11-07-16, 08:56
With the latest OS update, 48 hours is routine.

I've had mine last over 24 hours without recharging before last update. It has a "sleep mode" that if you take it off and just leave it alone, it will power down and use very little power.

It is possible to drain the battery much faster if you are doing alot of work on the watch itself, playing music through it, etc.

I'm not saying DD's experiences didn't happen, I'm just saying that if you are using it "normally", the battery issue at least should not be too much of a concern.

Again to the OP, if you are getting this for free, what's the harm in trying it out?

Digital_Damage
11-07-16, 09:06
I've had mine last over 24 hours without recharging before last update. It has a "sleep mode" that if you take it off and just leave it alone, it will power down and use very little power.

It is possible to drain the battery much faster if you are doing alot of work on the watch itself, playing music through it, etc.

I'm not saying DD's experiences didn't happen, I'm just saying that if you are using it "normally", the battery issue at least should not be too much of a concern.

Again to the OP, if you are getting this for free, what's the harm in trying it out?

So... to get it to last longer than 18 hours, you are suggesting not to use any of the functions it was designed for? LOL!

The paragraph I posted is direct from Apple, that is the guidelines they are stating is "normal use". Take it off and let it sleep? If you are only going to use it as a timepiece... why not just get a timepiece.

MichaelVain
11-07-16, 09:15
So... to get it to last longer than 18 hours, you are suggesting not to use any of the functions it was designed for? LOL!

The paragraph I posted is direct from Apple, that is the guidelines they are stating is "normal use". Take it off and let it sleep? If you are only going to use it as a timepiece... why not just get a timepiece.

Really? That's not what I wrote or what I meant.

I've used my watch normally, meaning it tracks my activity, pushes notifications, shows iMessages, tells me when people call throughout the day. I accidentally fell asleep with it on forgetting to charge it. The next morning, when I woke up and realized I didn't charge it, I still had about 20% battery left. That's 24 hours.

While I took a shower and brushed my teeth and got dressed, I put it on the charger. I went to make a cup of coffee and chit chat with the kids and wife and check email...about 45 mins. When I came back to the watch, it was 100% charged.

As you've said, Apple is very conservative in their estimate for battery life. I've used it for almost 38 hours once, battery died just before I was going to bed.