PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning primer pockets

ubet
11-06-16, 18:13
On just 223 blasting ammo, do you guys clean primer pockets each time you reload the brass? I searched and didn't find anything. This is just ammo I'm rolling and storing. It's going into ammo cans and gets forgotten about until one of my mags are empty. I'm not looking for extreme accuracy with this stuff, thanks.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Ryno12
11-06-16, 18:52
Not outside of my routine cleaning of brass. I don't specifically hit the primer pockets.

Ned Christiansen
11-06-16, 19:26
I never skip it 'cause:

-When I load .223 it's not for fodder. Loading rifle calibers to me is a lot of work so if I'm gonna go to that trouble it won't be for fodder-grade accuracy. That ammo can usually be bought pretty reasonably; high-end <1 MOA ammo, will run from $.80 to $1.50 depending on what where and [I]when.[/I} Loading for that purpose, I can save quite a bit.

- it doesn't take that long.

- When I reload for accuracy and don't get all the accuracy I hoped for I don't want to be wondering if it's about that one process I skipped.

-On the other hand I can't say that skipping it has for-sure caused diminished accuracy... because I have never skipped it so I don't know.

ubet
11-06-16, 20:11
I've never skipped it either.... it's not fodder I know. But my rifle is a 6920 and at best I've done with it, how it's set up, is maybe 0.9 moa. And generally 1.25 moa. I was curious if in that setup if I'd be able to tell the difference.

markm
11-07-16, 13:03
Before I had the Thumler's Wet SS tumblers I never cleaned primer pockets. I never had any issues over tens of thousands of rounds. But I'll never go back to loading brass that's not completely clean... even crappy ball, blaster.

Lefty223
11-07-16, 13:18
I've tried ... but I just can't 'not do it' ... if that makes sense, but I only reload precision ammo.

Kansaswoodguy
11-07-16, 19:28
I don't bother and shoot a thousand or more handloads a year. It might and I stress the might make a diffrence in the 100 yard benchrest game shooting bug holes but I'm not that good and have better things to do.

MWAG19919
11-08-16, 10:40
I load on a single stage press with an RCBS chargemaster powder dispenser, so a couple seconds on the RCBS case prep center to clean out the primer pockets doesn't bother me. I know it makes no difference in accuracy through my rifle, but it bothers me to not do it.

I don't bother cleaning primer pockets with 9mm, though.

hotrodder636
11-08-16, 17:30
I do it but because all of my reloading activities are therapeutic, primer pocket cleaning included.

I definitely do on precision loads I have made. Just got back into reloading, I expect to do it with all ammo.

RedRallyeZ
11-27-16, 19:49
Wet tumbling produces perfect primer pockets for me every time. No need for an extra step. Aside from occasionally punching some stuck stainless steel pins through the flash hole

HMM
11-27-16, 20:27
Wet tumbling produces perfect primer pockets for me every time. No need for an extra step. Aside from occasionally punching some stuck stainless steel pins through the flash hole

Same for me. But I hear they have larger diameter pins available now that will not get stuck in the primer pockets. I always have a few I have to pull out with needle nose pliers...

smoe806
11-27-16, 20:52
I Love My Thumlers tumbler. The Brass looks like new when it is finished.

taliv
11-29-16, 19:24
unless you are just bored and want to, don't waste your time cleaning primer pockets. i haven't cleaned a primer pocket in 15 years and it hasn't prevented me from getting regular SDs in the low single digits and printing tight groups and winning matches

Kaiser Mike
11-19-17, 19:14
I do. As mentioned before, rifle ammo is a bit of work if you want the good stuff. If not, just get off the shelf stuff.
I also agree that if there is an accuracy issue, I know its not me on the press. Maybe me on trigger tho lol.
I leave the flash hole alone tho. Haven't seen enough to make it worthwhile.
Pistol stuff? Heck no. Tumble 30 min till clean and load it up.

5.56 Bonded SP
11-20-17, 19:44
For a long time I never bothered in order to save time, I didn't notice any difference in accuracy honestly compared to when I used to clean primer pockets. It's a non issue as far as I am concerned.

Eventually I got a sonic cleaner because I wanted a simpler way to assure no brass trimming were in my cases. I still tumble before resizing, but after I resize, trim, and chamfer, I now throw the brass in an ultrasonic cleaner. The ultrasonic cleaner cleans all the brass shavings, cleans the inside of the cases, AND cleans the primer pockets perfectly. I do all of these things in large batches, so time isn't really an issue. As well, my new method using an ultra sonic cleaner and a tumbler, actually saves me a ton of time compared to individually cleaning primer pockets. I think if you want them clean, you should get an ultrasonic, or wet tumbler.

Non issue, but I like the sonic cleaner. :)
They are your handloads, load them how you want.

ETA: I am referring to reloading 223.

5.56 Bonded SP
11-20-17, 19:49
I've never skipped it either.... it's not fodder I know. But my rifle is a 6920 and at best I've done with it, how it's set up, is maybe 0.9 moa. And generally 1.25 moa. I was curious if in that setup if I'd be able to tell the difference.

From my experience no. You won't notice a difference from primer pockets alone.