PDA

View Full Version : What can be done to reduce the recoil of the 12ga?

BenY 2013
11-07-16, 16:20
I'll start off by saying that I've shot 12ga in trap competitions for years and I'm very used to having a sore shoulder after a long day of it. However I have recently gotten an 18.5" barrel home defense shotgun and it feels like it rocks my brain when it goes off. It's a Stoeger P350 that I cut the barrel down on and added a magazine extension to. Every time I shoot it I come away with a head ache. I know it's going to have a nasty recoil just because the nature of the gun; however, I was curious of ways to effectively lessen the recoil(barrel porting, lengthening forcing cones, etc.)? Thanks in advance!

Ben

glocktogo
11-07-16, 16:26
I'll start off by saying that I've shot 12ga in trap competitions for years and I'm very used to having a sore shoulder after a long day of it. However I have recently gotten an 18.5" barrel home defense shotgun and it feels like it rocks my brain when it goes off. It's a Stoeger P350 that I cut the barrel down on and added a magazine extension to. Every time I shoot it I come away with a head ache. I know it's going to have a nasty recoil just because the nature of the gun; however, I was curious of ways to effectively lessen the recoil(barrel porting, lengthening forcing cones, etc.)? Thanks in advance!

Ben

Limb Saver recoil pad, mercury filled recoil reducer in the stock, special "low recoil" ammo and porting (would be last on my list for a home defense gun). Most new shotguns are already back bored these days, but I'm not positive on the Stoegers.

T2C
11-07-16, 16:54
If you can remove the recoil pad, you may find a void where you can add weight. My 870's have a hole drilled in the buttstocks to facilitate installing the bolt in the rear of the receiver. I measured the buttstock hole and made lead a lead weight for each of the 870's that will not be carried in the field for hours on end.

When firing the shotgun, the push-pull technique helps to reduce felt recoil. You firmly pull the stock into your shoulder with your strong hand and firmly pull forward on the forend. Make sure you get a firm cheekweld, so you don't get smacked by the buttstock during recoil. The technique works well and with the addition of weight to the buttstock it will help manage felt recoil to a more comfortable level.

GH41
11-07-16, 17:41

Ben

What are you shooting that rocks your brain? If it's target loads the gun fit is really bad or you are afraid of it. If buckshot or slugs are wearing you out don't shoot them other than for function checks. Forcing cone work will help but it is the kind of help that you get used to 5 minutes. Not worth the expense in anything other than a target gun. Porting is a waste of money. The only people that say it works are the ones who sell it or pissed away money on it. The most bang for the buck is adding weight and getting a good padded shooting vest. In a home defense scenario your sensitivity to recoil won't make a rat's ass worth of difference. Like hunting... You will never feel the recoil.

williejc
11-07-16, 19:38
Some swear by a device called Edwards Recoil Reducer. Many decades ago, this gizmo was standard equipment on one of Winchester's O/U shotguns. It fits in the stock and can be bought from several vendors.

SeriousStudent
11-07-16, 20:15
If you can remove the recoil pad, you may find a void where you can add weight. My 870's have a hole drilled in the buttstocks to facilitate installing the bolt in the rear of the receiver. I measured the buttstock hole and made lead a lead weight for each of the 870's that will not be carried in the field for hours on end.

When firing the shotgun, the push-pull technique helps to reduce felt recoil. You firmly pull the stock into your shoulder with your strong hand and firmly pull forward on the forend. Make sure you get a firm cheekweld, so you don't get smacked by the buttstock during recoil. The technique works well and with the addition of weight to the buttstock it will help manage felt recoil to a more comfortable level.

This. The Push-Pull helps me a lot.

BenY 2013
11-07-16, 20:26
Thank you guys for all of the tips. I know that in a home defense situation recoil won't be on my mind at all, but I do enjoy taking it to the range and having a good time with it. I'd like to be able to shoot with having a head ache after. I'll look into the recoil pads mentioned and possibly making the stock heavier. I'm pretty sure the buttstock is hollow so I'm sure I can get something in there to add some weight. I'll stay away from porting as it sounds like a waste of money. Thanks

Ben

tower59
11-08-16, 13:05
Consider using reduced recoil buckshot loads. These have made a big difference for me. Many recommend the Federal 12 gauge 2.75" LE13200 shells with FlightControl wad. These shoot nice, tight groups and also are lower recoil. Most other manufacturers have reduced recoil buckshot loads for home defense, too.

G woody
11-09-16, 18:09
I agree, porting "ain't shit", but weight, anywhere you put it helps !!

BenY 2013
11-09-16, 21:39
I'll look into the recoil reduced ammo as well, thanks guys! Saved me a worthless porting job in the future sounds like!

Ben

JasonB1
11-11-16, 09:55
A second vote on the Limbsaver. Remington makes low recoil slugs that work well and an 8 pellet low recoil buckshot load that patterns well if the Federal Flite Control doesn't work with your barrel.

Uprange41
11-11-16, 11:04
This. The Push-Pull helps me a lot.

Same here, push/pull went a very long way in my shotgun shooting.

Co-gnARR
11-11-16, 12:58
The above on push-pull and limb saver. I will add this: back boring and lengthening the forcing cones. These will tighten the patterns but also can help reduce felt recoil. The big time clay shooters in my area swear by these mods. Regarding the HD length barrels, I think these mods are essential. Look at Vang Comp systems web page. There are others out there that do similar work but I don't know the names off the top of my head.

Ron3
11-13-16, 22:14
Pull it into your shoulder and push your cheek on the stock firmly as well. The instinct is to pull away from the gun but in fact you want to do the opposite.

Let it roll upon recoil. Pull the slide back with vigor at the shot and push it forward with equal vigor. Done right by the time your back on target you'll be ready to pull the trigger again if you like. Barely any slower than a semi-auto. Mind you if the ammo is low-recoil enough you don't have to let the gun roll you can just resist the recoil. Like when your firing a .357 revolver with heavy loads you relax your arm a little and let the gun pitch up. But when firing a 9mm Glock you lock your arms and resist the recoil.

Use low-recoil shells. Some are lower recoil than others. Federal low-recoil feels like it. Rio not so much. Fiocchi seems to be mild, and their low-recoil just a tad more so.

Less lead also means lower recoil. A shell of #4 buck throws more lead than a shell with 00 buck. Consider this: a shell of 00 buck throws about 1 oz of lead. A 3" shell of #4 buck throws over 2 oz's of lead! And it feels like twice the recoil, too.