PDA

View Full Version : Optic for 556 SBR. 11.5" bbl

A5scott
11-07-16, 18:07
I was wondering what optics are more popular on SBR's. Anyone run ACOGS or other optics with BDC reticles? If so, I wonder how the drops line up with the reticle on a shorter barrel.

I'd like some magnification, but keeping it lightweight is also important.

scott

Hero
11-07-16, 19:18
I love the TA47 on my SBR. Also would consider the TA44. No BDC to worry about being off. Small, light, doesn't throw the balance of the rifle off. But gives a little magnification for better precision.

https://s15.postimg.org/n0ejmwqaj/IMG_1186.jpg

EDIT: Lot's of red dot recommendations below. So, with QD mounts, you could always get both... ;)

https://s21.postimg.org/3z2koyetj/mk18t2.jpg

(yes, the light/front sight setup has changed, but you get the idea)

RHINOWSO
11-07-16, 19:32
Aimpoint T-2 and Vortex VMT-3X, until the new Aimpoint 3x magnifier models get more available.

daddyusmaximus
11-07-16, 20:17
To me an SBR is a close in tool, so mine wears an Aimpoint.

A5scott
11-07-16, 21:04
Yes, mine has an H-1 on it

scott

Tigereye
11-07-16, 21:07
A T1 or PRO

firefighter37
11-08-16, 05:57
I love the TA47 on my SBR. Also would consider the TA44. No BDC to worry about being off. Small, light, doesn't throw the balance of the rifle off. But gives a little magnification for better precision.

https://s15.postimg.org/n0ejmwqaj/IMG_1186.jpg

EDIT: Lot's of red dot recommendations below. So, with QD mounts, you could always get both... ;)

https://s21.postimg.org/3z2koyetj/mk18t2.jpg

(yes, the light/front sight setup has changed, but you get the idea)

Is the front sight on backwards on the top rifle?

Hero
11-08-16, 06:35
Is the front sight on backwards on the top rifle?

Yes. KAC #99051 - Taupe

If you check out some MK18 threads, mounting that particular front sight backwards is actually "a thing." Mounted facing rearward (the traditional "correct" way), the front sight can be tough to deploy in the up position with that protective shelf around the sight. Especially if you have a tape switch or other accessory mounted directly behind the sight, it can be nearly impossible to deploy the sight. So, many users have turned their front sight around. It is extremely easy to deploy in the up position with the sight mounted "backwards." Backwards is the new forwards! Of course, once the sight is in the up position, it has no effect on the sighting or zeroing of the sight.

Furbyballer
11-08-16, 07:12
I have Aimpoint T2s with twist off magnifier mounts on my 11.5 sbrs. Just seems like the best all around set up to me. Have acog levels of magnification when you want, or just twist it off and drop it in a pouch and back to your red dot.

Jwknutson17
11-08-16, 08:10
Aimpoint of choice and don't look back. A good 1-6 is also very useful. Adding the weight, but I run a few on 11.5-13.x SBRs with 1-6's.

Never liked the ACOGs with fixed mag on an SBR unless you can get used to the high mounted RMR on some. Just too much height over bore with the RMR though..

BumbleBeeGIXXER
11-08-16, 13:19
My MK18 wears an Aimpoint M2, but i also have a BCM 11.5" that wears a 1-4 NF. Honestly, I've grown to like the BCM as a "Do-All" SBR. Definitely adds weight, but no more give or take than a red dot and a magnifier.

firefighter37
11-08-16, 14:05
Yes. KAC #99051 - Taupe

If you check out some MK18 threads, mounting that particular front sight backwards is actually "a thing." Mounted facing rearward (the traditional "correct" way), the front sight can be tough to deploy in the up position with that protective shelf around the sight. Especially if you have a tape switch or other accessory mounted directly behind the sight, it can be nearly impossible to deploy the sight. So, many users have turned their front sight around. It is extremely easy to deploy in the up position with the sight mounted "backwards." Backwards is the new forwards! Of course, once the sight is in the up position, it has no effect on the sighting or zeroing of the sight.
Makes sense, I may have to try that. Thank you

A5scott
11-08-16, 14:10
Yes, I'm not into a magnifier in front of an aimpoint. The NF 1-4x look very nice, but I'm feeling 17 ounces is too much. My NF 2.5-10 weighs 19oz. I have a Trijicon TR-24 I will try that one, and it's a bit lighter, at 13oz. I'll prolly end up with an aimpoint micro just because they are so light and simple.

scott