PDA

View Full Version : Pocket revolvers. Which? Why? How?

theJanitor
09-11-08, 22:04
for those of you that keep a relover in your pocket, can you elaborate on how you get this done?

Which pistol do you use? What kind of pants work the best? which holster do you use?

thanks

John_Wayne777
09-11-08, 22:25
A Desantis Nemesis holster and a S&W 442 with Crimson Trace grips. A Safariland speedloader in the other pocket.

Simple, safe, effective.

As far as pants go, you want to wear pants that aren't too tight so that the outline of the revolver isn't obvious. I wear 5.11's every day and don't have any problem concealing the 442.

bps3040
09-11-08, 23:17
642 in a Mika pocket holster. Croft and Barrow shorts in summer from Kohls.

akviper
09-12-08, 00:07
I regularly summer carry a S&W 342 with Crimson trace grips in a Mika pocket holster. I usually wear loose canvas pants or shorts with fairly large pockets. I've used Patagonia, Cabelas, Dockers, LL Bean, etc. I tuck one Safariland speed loader and one Bianchi speed strip in my strongside hip pocket.

During the Alaska winter I shift it to an outside parka pocket if I zip up for cold weather.

Deke
09-12-08, 05:41
S&W 642 here as well, but in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster with a Bianchi Speed Strip and a Surefire E1E. Loose jeans or pleated khakis or shorts work well for me.

RWK
09-12-08, 08:27
for those of you that keep a relover (sic) in your pocket, can you elaborate on how you get this done?

Which pistol do you use? What kind of pants work the best? which holster do you use?

Well first, women wear pants, men wear trousers. ;)

S&W M&P 340 in a Mika pocket holster. It's light and has a Tritium front sight. Two Bianchi speed strips go in the opposite pocket.

Whatever trousers or shorts you wear should have pockets that are sufficiently deep to hide the backstrap of the gun. Some pockets are very shallow and the backstrap can show through the pocket gap.

I like many shorts by Columbia. They have a zippered security pocket beside the main, right front pocket. I can drop a SureFire E1B and my car key in there. That way the speed strips are the only thing in the main pocket.

MX5
09-12-08, 09:09
DeSantis pocket holster with 'melted' S&W 36 with bobbed hammer spur & CT grips.

kaltblitz
09-12-08, 11:12
S&W 442 with CT grips in a Kramer Pocket Holster.

I carry this setup year round in California. Both in the front pockets of cargo shorts and in the front pocket of jeans.

John Hearne
09-12-08, 11:38
I've carried a S&W 640-1 in a Desantis Nemesis holster and have been very happy with it. It's not my primary gun but it makes a great backup. If I were buying a new revolver today, I'd look at the M&P 340 in Centenial configuration. The loss of weigth would be quite nice.

5POINT56
09-12-08, 18:11
S&W 340PD w/ CT grips.

No holster.

Any pants or shorts, front pocket.

No problem.

HolyRoller
09-12-08, 20:17
Colt Agent, Second Series made in the early 70s, with factory hammer shroud, left front pocket in Wild Bill's Concealment pocket holster, J-frame size. This holster needs trimming to where it doesn't fold over the back of the cylinder, otherwise the holster is liable to come out with the gun. A Swiss Army pocketknife scissor works fine, and now I have to consciously try to get the holster out when changing pants; easier to draw the gun, then dig out the holster.

I carried Smith Airweights successfully for years the same way, though I suggest bobbing the hammer spur. I moved to the Inn of the Prancing Pony when my 637's idiotic internal lock broke and rendered it a dryfire trainer. Smith fixed it for free but I went back to a 35-year-old D-frame with no lock and the firing pin on the hammer, as God intended. It's one more round so you can controlled-pair three bad guys or Mozambique two of them, and the pullback cylinder latch is better for left-hand operation, since that's where I keep my BUG.

Pocket carry without a holster is a bit hard on my tender thigh, and I'll never forget the time I dropped an Airweight in a pocket with a small hole, probably rubbed by carrying the Airweight without a holster. While walking in front of a bus stop in Miami, the small hole suddenly became a big rip. Clunk. Awkward stares. Definitely a Southwest Airlines wanna-get-away moment. I said ummm, don't worry I'm licensed, scooped it up and scurried away to my apartment, luckily only half a block away. No police response, thank the Lord who watches out for fools, small children, and student pilots.

Rob96
09-13-08, 05:32
S&W 340PD in a Desantis nemisis with two speed strips.

cnutinsky
09-13-08, 09:40
I carry a Taurus 905IB in a DeSantis Nemesis holster.
9mm ultracompact revovler.
This is a shoot a little, carry alot type weapon. For me, I have greater peace of mind carrying the 9mm than my KelTec 380.
I also have a Kahr MK9 which I can pocket carry. The Taurus seems to be the most comfortable and most frequently choosen to carry in my pocket.
Just my opinion.

Charles

Mr. Clean
09-13-08, 10:46
S&W 642 with CT grips and a Mika round cut holster. Any pants or shorts will do.

The mika does an excellent job of breaking up the outline a definitely stays in place on the draw. Robert Mika is a super nice guy to deal with as well.

Gomez
09-13-08, 15:25
FYI, S&W recently released about a thousand pre-lock/no-lock .38 Special M642 Centennial Airweights. Evidently they had a quantity of frames and parts on-hand from before the change, so someone had the bright idea to go ahead and make guns out them. Once these are gone, the only option will be the guns with the integrated lock.

RSR has them in stock and they are the same price as current production/lock models.

BobM
09-13-08, 15:52
I use a Kramer pocket holster with a 642. The newer Uncle Mikes pocket holsters seem pretty good so far, in the winter I use one in a coat pocket with my M&P40c.

epete
09-14-08, 20:08
S&W 637 with a bobbed hammer in a Don Hume or Mitch Rosen pocket holster (depending on shape of pocket). Speed strip loaded with Speer Gold Dot 135 grain +P's.

PRGGodfather
09-14-08, 20:33
A Desantis Nemesis holster and a S&W 442 with Crimson Trace grips. A Safariland speedloader in the other pocket.

Simple, safe, effective.

I knew I liked ya for a reason! DDDDDitto!

Master_of_Sparks
09-14-08, 20:37
One of 2 S&W 442's, in a variety of pocket holsters, when I use one. I always wear Levi's in the nut-hugger traditional 505's.

ToddG
09-16-08, 10:00
442 w/CT grips in a Nemesis. Works for me even with jeans. Yes, there is a bulge there but I've had countless people (including pretty switched on cops, SOF guys, etc.) surprised as hell when I pulled the revolver out of that pocket.

Nonetheless, odds are I'll be switching to a Ruger LCP w/CTC soon if the gun keeps running well during testing.

John_Wayne777
09-16-08, 14:00
442 w/CT grips in a Nemesis. Works for me even with jeans. Yes, there is a bulge there but I've had countless people (including pretty switched on cops, SOF guys, etc.) surprised as hell when I pulled the revolver out of that pocket.

Nonetheless, odds are I'll be switching to a Ruger LCP w/CTC soon if the gun keeps running well during testing.

I'm interested in the Ruger LCP too...but mainly as a BUG for the occasions when I am forced to pack the 442 as a primary.

...now if only I could actually FIND ONE around here. LCP's are harder to find than M&P's in my neck of the woods. :mad:

parker7777
09-16-08, 15:03
This summer I found a used s&w 360 pd to replace my stainless mod 60 s&w.
I also bought the desantis pocket holster; this combo works very well for me.
If I were buying a new light weight I would go for the hammerless 340.

BSHNT2015
09-19-08, 08:45
S&W 640-1 in a Kramer pocket holster or a Colt Detective in a jacket pocket with Bianchi speed strip. And the usual other pocket junk, cellphone, badge, knife and assorted stuff ;)

crowkiller
09-19-08, 11:57
I'm interested in the Ruger LCP too...but mainly as a BUG for the occasions when I am forced to pack the 442 as a primary.

...now if only I could actually FIND ONE around here. LCP's are harder to find than M&P's in my neck of the woods. :mad:

Same here with the LCP I have tried two different shops and one gunshow with no luck. One shop told me they had a 12 person waiting list and the other a 40 person list. I went ahead and bought a new 642 without the internal lock but I am still very interested in a LCP. I heard rumor from one shop owner that Ruger had made enough LCPs for what they thought would last them 3 years but that amount was sold in the first month but that is just a rumor so far.

coltm4223
09-19-08, 19:22
S&W 442, Kramer pocket holster, 5 in the gun plus 6 in a speed strip of 135gr Gold Dots, all summer long. Cargo shorts and T-shirts, man I've been spoiled.

sigmundsauer
09-19-08, 23:03
I'm running a 342PD with Clipdraw and Speer short barrel GD 135+P in the waist, and spare speed strips. Love it! Pure joy at 10.8 ounces.

Am in the process of purchasing a Rohrbaugh R9S for flexibility in carry.

Any other thoughts, good or bad, on the Rohrbaugh?

Tim

98z28
09-20-08, 09:36
S&W 640-1 w/ CTC laser grips in a Nemesis pocket holster with HKS speedloader in the other pocket. You will want roomy pockets and a good belt if you pack the heavier gun.

DZL HOG
09-20-08, 13:00
I'm running a 342PD with Clipdraw and Speer short barrel GD 135+P in the waist, and spare speed strips. Love it! Pure joy at 10.8 ounces.

Am in the process of purchasing a Rohrbaugh R9S for flexibility in carry.

Any other thoughts, good or bad, on the Rohrbaugh?

Tim

I dont know much about the Rohrbaughs, never even seen one in person. Most of what ya read about them is good other than the price, having to change recoil springs every 100rds, and no +P ammo rating.

sigmundsauer
09-20-08, 17:16
having to change recoil springs every 100rds, and no +P ammo rating.

No +P doesn't bother me so much considering that standard pressure 9mm stills exceeds the best .38 +P by 100 fps out of the smaller Rohrbaugh. I think that is exceptional capability in its size. The only way I can imagine it handling +P is to add slide mass....and bulk.

I thought recoil spring change intervals were 500 rounds?

Tim

DZL HOG
09-20-08, 20:38
I thought recoil spring change intervals were 500 rounds?

Tim

It could be 500, like I said, no personal experience just third party info. I could of read it wrong, or someone posted it wrong. Most of these small pistols arent something that anyone wants to run more than a few mags through at once except after initial purchase.