PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on 9mm buffer configurations

MarineSniper8541
09-12-08, 01:32
What do you suggest is the best buffer set-up to run if I am going to have a 5" 9mm barrel with a ramped bolt and also using a suppressor?

I don't want so much reciprocal weight going back forward into the bolt catch for bolt hold-open that I end up breaking my bolt catch or bolt catch pin.

Right now I have a standard RRA 9mm buffer and a chrome silicon buffer spring.

I am thinking about:

RRA 9mm buffer
ST-9X
Enidine

with:
Standard recoil spring
Chrome silicon recoil spring
Wolff extra power recoil spring

Which combo do you think will work best, giving me functioning bolt hold-open without hitting too hard on the forward reciprocation?

Robb Jensen
09-12-08, 07:49
RRA 9mm buffer with standard rate CAR buffer spring.

Spikes-Rep
12-07-08, 16:19
ST-9X is the way to go.

decodeddiesel
12-17-08, 11:02
RRA 9mm buffer with standard rate CAR buffer spring.

gotm4, I already have a H3 buffer sitting around doing nothing, is it worth while to get a dedicated RRA 9mm buffer? This would be for a 10.5" 9mm.

rob_s
12-17-08, 12:30
I was thinking of trying one of Spike's ST-9x but the $60 cost turned me off.

John Hearne
12-18-08, 19:52
Is anyone familar with the 9mm action spring that Brownells sells with the 9mm buffer? It is a different part number than a conventional action spring and I was wondering what the difference between the two springs was.

MarineSniper8541
12-19-08, 12:24
I have often wondered that same thing about the 9mm spring.

00bullitt
12-23-08, 09:04
The longer dedicated 9mm buffers are the way to go. The Hahn,Slash,and Spikes
9x are the ticket. The dedicated buffers limit overtravel of the bolt. The heavier bufferes increase lockup time which is needed on the 9mm uppers. Especially when running a can. Problem with the RRA 9mm buffer and H1,H2,and H3 is they are alll standard carbine length and allow excess rearward bolt travel which in turn causes ejection problems and in some cases parts breakage.
If at very least.....use the 9mm RRA buffer with the Spikes spacer if you want to save money.

The 9mmRRA spring is basically equal to the Wolff XP spring. It is stronger.

I run the Wolff XP spring and the Spikes ST9x buffer on my suppressed gun. It cycles fine and stays locked up longer to eliminate as much chamber pop as possible. My gun cycles and ejects everything just fine. On FA the cyclic rate is slowed down alot with this setup as well. My CED timer says around 550-600 rpm. Its very easy to shoot on FA in this configuration.

LonghunterCO
12-23-08, 18:43
The longer dedicated 9mm buffers are the way to go. The Hahn,Slash,and Spikes
9x are the ticket. The dedicated buffers limit overtravel of the bolt. The heavier bufferes increase lockup time which is needed on the 9mm uppers. Especially when running a can. Problem with the RRA 9mm buffer and H1,H2,and H3 is they are alll standard carbine length and allow excess rearward bolt travel which in turn causes ejection problems and in some cases parts breakage.
If at very least.....use the 9mm RRA buffer with the Spikes spacer if you want to save money.

The 9mmRRA spring is basically equal to the Wolff XP spring. It is stronger.

I run the Wolff XP spring and the Spikes ST9x buffer on my suppressed gun. It cycles fine and stays locked up longer to eliminate as much chamber pop as possible. My gun cycles and ejects everything just fine. On FA the cyclic rate is slowed down alot with this setup as well. My CED timer says around 550-600 rpm. Its very easy to shoot on FA in this configuration.

So these longer buffers are to be used in a CAR stock setup or are they used in the long rifle receiver extentions?

00bullitt
12-23-08, 21:29
They are used in the CAR tubes. They are longer than standard CAR buffers and shorter than A2 buffers. Not to be used in A2 fixed stock setups.

Buck50
12-24-08, 04:18
I use Slash's 9-Q Buffer with the Wolff XP Spring in my 9mm carbines. Very happy with the results.

mike benedict
12-24-08, 09:34
Is anyone familar with the 9mm action spring that Brownells sells with the 9mm buffer? It is a different part number than a conventional action spring and I was wondering what the difference between the two springs was.

I run that setup in both of my 9mm carbines.
It works just fine

Mike

Tango2249
01-29-10, 15:06
Can anyone recommend where to get a Slash 9-Q buffer and Wolff XP spring?

QuietShootr
01-29-10, 17:59
I use Slash's 9-Q Buffer with the Wolff XP Spring in my 9mm carbines. Very happy with the results.

You're welcome :D I designed that buffer - hence the name. ETA: I intended it to solve the problem of broken bolt catches in Colt SMGs and 9mm carbines. It works.

LonghunterCO
01-29-10, 22:14
Can anyone recommend where to get a Slash 9-Q buffer and Wolff XP spring?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=125&t=263131

He carries the springs too.

mmcbeat
01-29-10, 22:56
I am building my 1st 9mm AR. I ordered a spacer from Spikes. I have done a little research and crazy as it sounds, some guys swear that the best way to go is to put 7 quarters in the bottom of your buffer tube. Comments? Thanks!

HeavyDuty
01-30-10, 08:51
I am building my 1st 9mm AR. I ordered a spacer from Spikes. I have done a little research and crazy as it sounds, some guys swear that the best way to go is to put 7 quarters in the bottom of your buffer tube. Comments? Thanks!

I may try this for the short term - I was going to order a spacer from Spike's, but $14 to ship a $15 part seemed out of line, I'll wait until I need more from them...

mmcbeat
01-30-10, 14:52
I may try this for the short term - I was going to order a spacer from Spike's, but $14 to ship a $15 part seemed out of line, I'll wait until I need more from them...

I ordered mine along with a buffer tube assembly, the foam cover and a couple of 9mm mags so the freight wasn't too bad. I ordered a 10.5" 9mm used Colt upper from RGuns and bought a virgin unmarked stripped S&W lower locally. As soon as as the rest of the parts come in I will complete the build and take it to the range. I will post a range report after I take it out. btw - I am new to this board but read posts for a while before I registered, seems to be some great folks here.

PCshooter
02-22-10, 12:59
Here's my setup:

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww66/PCLazarus/9mm%20Project/BufferAssembly.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww66/PCLazarus/9mm%20Project/9mmGuts.jpg

QuietShootr
02-22-10, 18:03
I should have patented that bitch when I had a chance.

No.6
02-24-10, 10:43
I was thinking of trying one of Spike's ST-9x but the $60 cost turned me off.

They're on sale for $50.