PDA

View Full Version : Reflections on the Election from a Guy that Was WRONG

KTR03
11-09-16, 10:30
WOW... I think of myself as a pretty smart guy and a political science nerd. I watched last night as the news kept coming, dashing my confident and somewhat smug assertions, one after another, one state after another.

Here is what I learned: I live in Seattle, having moved here from Silicon Valley and before that Washington DC. I travel extensively for work, internationally and domestically, but my domestic travel takes me from coast to coast. I realized this morning that I have not stood on American soil that was more than 100 miles from either coast, in years. I clearly need to get out and get to know my country again. In my high tech world where the economy is booming, I clearly lost track of the pain and dislocation that my fellow citizens have experienced over the last decade. I'm going to fix that. I see a road trip in my future. Apparently I need get out more.

So I remain a socially liberal, fiscal conservative. I want a small government. I don't want the government to keep me safe. I want the government to keep me free. I fervently hope that I have been wrong not only in my analysis of the politics but also my assessment of the man. Hopefully we will be able to drive a smaller, effective government that will make us more free, more affluent and ultimately safer.

In my defense, I didn't vote for Hilary. Who is starting the NFA/2nd Amendment Wish List. I want us to get going on that, but I don't think that thread should be started by someone who has been wrong for 18 months...

Let freedom ring...

mkmckinley
11-09-16, 11:46
So I remain a socially liberal, fiscal conservative. I want a small government. I don't want the government to keep me safe. I want the government to keep me free.

Sooo... Libertarian?

KTR03
11-09-16, 11:51
pretty much, except on the isolationist tendencies that tend to come with Libertarians (capital L). My pet peeve is when candidates on both sides say "the most important job of the president is to keep the American people safe". I could not disagree more. The most important job of a president is to defend the constitution and keep the American people free.

Shiz
11-09-16, 11:52
So I remain a socially liberal, fiscal conservative.

I am not sure what socially liberal means....well what it means anymore. What does it mean for you? I don't ask to debate but so that you know most here are probably very similar.

You are sounding pretty libertarian dude. I think most of us here are Libertarians that have Republican roots.

BrigandTwoFour
11-09-16, 12:31
"I support the right of a married gay couple to defend their marijuana crop with an AR-15"

I forgot where I heard that, but it sums up a lot of folks I know.

KTR03
11-09-16, 13:06
"I support the right of a married gay couple to defend their marijuana crop with an AR-15"

So if anyone is wondering... you can spit up a can of diet dr. pepper on a Microsoft Surface Pro and it will still work... Damn that was funny and yes, that sums my opinion up nicely.

D

Firefly
11-09-16, 13:09

Dmitri Karras

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-09-16, 13:16

.. from the illegal aliens riding up in their subsidized electric car.

glocktogo
11-09-16, 13:18
WOW... I think of myself as a pretty smart guy and a political science nerd. I watched last night as the news kept coming, dashing my confident and somewhat smug assertions, one after another, one state after another.

Here is what I learned: I live in Seattle, having moved here from Silicon Valley and before that Washington DC. I travel extensively for work, internationally and domestically, but my domestic travel takes me from coast to coast. I realized this morning that I have not stood on American soil that was more than 100 miles from either coast, in years. I clearly need to get out and get to know my country again. In my high tech world where the economy is booming, I clearly lost track of the pain and dislocation that my fellow citizens have experienced over the last decade. I'm going to fix that. I see a road trip in my future. Apparently I need get out more.

So I remain a socially liberal, fiscal conservative. I want a small government. I don't want the government to keep me safe. I want the government to keep me free. I fervently hope that I have been wrong not only in my analysis of the politics but also my assessment of the man. Hopefully we will be able to drive a smaller, effective government that will make us more free, more affluent and ultimately safer.

In my defense, I didn't vote for Hilary. Who is starting the NFA/2nd Amendment Wish List. I want us to get going on that, but I don't think that thread should be started by someone who has been wrong for 18 months...

Let freedom ring...

Welcome! I think you'll find it a friendly and refreshing trip! :)

Flawless.

For myself, I fully support the good governance of the country and abhor the specious governance of The People. That is not what our Constitutional Republic was meant to do.

Vandal
11-09-16, 13:30
OP, come to Spokane and North Idaho to start. It's beautiful over here. Send me a PM when you do, we can shoot and grab a beer.

ColtSeavers
11-09-16, 13:31

Can't. Stop. Laughing.

WickedWillis
11-09-16, 13:42
I'm a Libertarian as well. I voted Libertarian yesterday, even though I wasn't 100% behind GJ on every issue. It didn't really matter in my state, because I knew Trump would win my state in a landslide (Idaho). I'm just incredibly damn happy that Hillary lost, and that I don't have to see her pandering and being a ruler for the next 4 years. My sanity is intact, and I can fully celebrate all the joys of firearm ownership for the next four years.

Sums up all my views quite nicely. I loved it when Moen said it, and it's a great Libertarian battle flag quote.

pingdork
11-09-16, 17:12
I'm a Libertarian as well. I voted Libertarian yesterday, even though I wasn't 100% behind GJ on every issue. It didn't really matter in my state, because I knew Trump would win my state in a landslide (Idaho). I'm just incredibly damn happy that Hillary lost, and that I don't have to see her pandering and being a ruler for the next 4 years. My sanity is intact, and I can fully celebrate all the joys of firearm ownership for the next four years.

Sums up all my views quite nicely. I loved it when Moen said it, and it's a great Libertarian battle flag quote.

Also my view. I'm also breathing a surprised sigh of relief HRC lost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outlander Systems
11-09-16, 19:21
It takes an honest man to admit that.

I think a lot of people were legitimately surprised.

tb-av
11-09-16, 19:30
So if anyone is wondering... you can spit up a can of diet dr. pepper on a Microsoft Surface Pro and it will still work... Damn that was funny and yes, that sums my opinion up nicely.

D

You can also damn near choke to death on a piece of pizza.... man I wasn't ready for that one.

opngrnd
11-09-16, 20:10
Concerning the OP and non-coastal America: I hope you get out and about at some point. The Mid-West has some nice destinations. My take away yesterday confirmed what I had already thought to a degree: there are a lot of people who are sick of DC and want to be left alone. Get out into the country and meet those people. Where I live, people tend to work non-desk jobs, ranch, or farm. These type of people tend to be self reliant, have values that include personal responsibility, and take pride in what they do. A cabin in the Black Hills for the weekend or a hunting trip in Kansas sounds like a good start.