PDA

View Full Version : "Critique my firearm picture" thread

Pages : [1] 2

Stickman
11-09-16, 16:57
This is a critique thread.

Please include why the pic was shot (what you are showing off), what you like about the picture, and what you don't like about it. This gives people something to work off so their comments make some sense.

There are already a million threads and youtube videos about how to shoot pictures of various objects, to include firearms.

Anyone can post a picture in this thread, HOWEVER, by posting in this thread you are showing that you are open to the opinion of others. The firearm MUST be yours (unless a military weapon or of someone else shooting), and the picture MUST be one that you took.

Give a little info about the picture and state what you do or don't like about it. Other people posting are expected to give comment in a professional manner, meaning that "you suck" comments aren't going to fly. Opinions vary, which means people posting should remember their view are subjective, and no one likes to be insulted for no reason. Be nice, be respectful, be HONEST in your thoughts. I don't expect people to like everything we (wife or I) shoot.

Lastly, this is NOT a how to thread. Don't have hurt feelings that people don't want to tell you their secrets, and many guys lie to pretend they don't use any post processing. That doesn't matter as that isn't what this thread is about. This is a critique thread about the picture itself.

Stickman
11-09-16, 16:58
I'll start with a critique of one of mine, feel free to include your own thoughts. The idea is that we will all learn (hopefully).

Why it was shot: This pic was shot to showcase the Magpul AK furniture, so the idea was to blend the Russian "feel", with the newer US items.

What I like: I think the Soviet uniform helps with the overall image, and the lack of, or muted colors works with the overall concept.

What I don't like: In general, the image is a bit too centered, and while I don't mind breaking the rules, it doesn't change the subject would be better placed off to the side.

http://66.media.tumblr.com/3029fc3df94f55f4293b6b4c6506d26c/tumblr_obivpfpBs21rrcg2fo1_1280.jpg

JulyAZ
11-09-16, 17:09
Ok Stick, I'm game.

Here's my first SBR a Daniel defense complete MK18.

It's essentially a safe queen not the gun to shoot at the first gonna grab. It's Cerakoted in tungsten grey I had to Cerakote it because my first NFA engraving turned out horrible barely went to the anodizing didn't scratch the aluminum so I had to take off the finish, sanded it down to the bare aluminum and get it re engraved. I'd much prefer if it was still anodized. It's over gassed so I don't prefer to shoot it. It was my dream gun so I went all out on it and now I don't even use it. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161109/bd16808fbf58be5c0b6679b7f3c3bd2b.jpg

Let me know:

Kenneth
11-09-16, 17:15
^^^ what buffer are you running? A5H4 will calm it down most likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JulyAZ
11-09-16, 17:20
^^^ what buffer are you running? A5H4 will calm it down most likely.

Springco Blue, and at age 3. But I'm gonna switch it to a colt barrel with a proper spec Gas port in the next few months here hoping that will help it.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
11-09-16, 17:23
I used to dabble with a Canon 6D for a while. I never got great with it but really enjoyed doing it. I snapped this in my front yard just messing with settings on the camera. It is my HK MR556. (Also my profile pic) I was trying to play with the shadow around the gun to give more contrast without dialing it up in photoshop. It was a photo I was taking for an online blog.

Voodoochild
11-09-16, 18:05
Nice looking rifles Gentlemen. Best I can do is a cellphone picture. I am not an expert on all the filters and light settings.

Stickman
11-09-16, 18:56
Ok Stick, I'm game.

Here's my first SBR a Daniel defense complete MK18.

It's essentially a safe queen not the gun to shoot at the first gonna grab. It's Cerakoted in tungsten grey I had to Cerakote it because my first NFA engraving turned out horrible barely went to the anodizing didn't scratch the aluminum so I had to take off the finish, sanded it down to the bare aluminum and get it re engraved. I'd much prefer if it was still anodized. It's over gassed so I don't prefer to shoot it. It was my dream gun so I went all out on it and now I don't even use it. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161109/bd16808fbf58be5c0b6679b7f3c3bd2b.jpg

Let me know:

You didn't list what you were trying to do with the pic, what you liked, or what you didn't like. That makes it difficult to keep any feedback in keeping with what you were trying to do.

First and foremost, if you are going to take pictures, carpet is never going to be a good overall look. Your lighting appears nice and even, but it still doesn't make anyone take real notice as it is still "a gun on the floor". Had this same picture with same lighting been taken on concrete, it would have had a more industrial look (especially with those colors) and it would have been a substantially more viable image.

The second thing would be to fold the sling up in a manner that doesn't look like a drunken snake. Slings are hard to make look decent in pictures, which is why they typically aren't used in adwork.

Stickman
11-09-16, 18:58
Nice looking rifles Gentlemen. Best I can do is a cellphone picture. I am not an expert on all the filters and light settings.

The easiest way to shoot decent pictures is to wait for a cloudy day, then put the weapon down on concrete. Presto, easy, simple, and good picture. Even with a cellphone they turn out great.

JulyAZ
11-09-16, 19:13
You didn't list what you were trying to do with the pic, what you liked, or what you didn't like. That makes it difficult to keep any feedback in keeping with what you were trying to do.

First and foremost, if you are going to take pictures, carpet is never going to be a good overall look. Your lighting appears nice and even, but it still doesn't make anyone take real notice as it is still "a gun on the floor". Had this same picture with same lighting been taken on concrete, it would have had a more industrial look (especially with those colors) and it would have been a substantially more viable image.

The second thing would be to fold the sling up in a manner that doesn't look like a drunken snake. Slings are hard to make look decent in pictures, which is why they typically aren't used in adwork.

Oh my bad I misunderstood, I thought this was just critiquing of the Firearms, not the photos as a whole.

Let me try this again.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161110/9fb01bfd31de2ac468bed284bf5074b8.jpg

One of my favorite pictures I've taken

The the focus of the photo, being able to capture the firearm while still getting a detailed image of the branch it's resting on. I wasn't using a tripod, so it made it difficult to hold this while trying to get a clean shot of the dot, it proved too hard. I do wish I had moved that front lens cap out of the way to maintain a feel of symmetry to the firearm . I also like the feel of a foggyness of the photo, this was done only using the manual focus of the lens on a clear blue day. The filter enhanced it but it was there before I edited the photo.

Ryno12
11-09-16, 19:16
First and foremost, if you are going to take pictures, carpet is never going to be a good overall look. Your lighting appears nice and even, but it still doesn't make anyone take real notice as it is still "a gun on the floor".

With regards to "a gun on the floor" picture... Do you feel if an individual were to include their feet in the photo, should they match their socks to the carpet, or should they match them to the firearm?

Thoughts?

Of course we all know that bare feet are just nasty & should never be included...

[emoji14]

Congrats on your own sub-forum Stick! Thanks for your service & keep up the good work.

tb-av
11-09-16, 20:11
Oh man I'm going to like this thread. I've been thinking about taking some photos and the first thing I thought was 'I wish I could get Stickman to have some thoughts on them'. I figured that would be a non starter. Now I have good excuse to go for it.

On your photo, which looks different to me when it's displayed in small size vs blown up on screen. I like the things you mentioned but the thing that hit me was not what you intended to convey regarding the "why it was shot". What hit my eye was his chin / neck and the shadow in the center. It is so symmetrical his chin looks like a birds wings or some sort large insect or such. Like a shadow of an alien cast on him. It's so contrasty it draws my eye from the intended subject. For whatever reason when it's blown up it doesn't seem to be as noticeable or drawing but it's still there. It's like two subject's in the photo and his chin/neck takes top seat. The centering really doesn't bother me.

drtywk
11-09-16, 20:18
This is going to be an interesting thread to follow. Thanks for starting this Stick.

Stickman
11-09-16, 20:54
Oh my bad I misunderstood, I thought this was just critiquing of the Firearms, not the photos as a whole.

Let me try this again.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161110/9fb01bfd31de2ac468bed284bf5074b8.jpg

One of my favorite pictures I've taken

The the focus of the photo, being able to capture the firearm while still getting a detailed image of the branch it's resting on. I wasn't using a tripod, so it made it difficult to hold this while trying to get a clean shot of the dot, it proved too hard. I do wish I had moved that front lens cap out of the way to maintain a feel of symmetry to the firearm . I also like the feel of a foggyness of the photo, this was done only using the manual focus of the lens on a clear blue day. The filter enhanced it but it was there before I edited the photo.

The whitebalance is a little off to my eye (and calibrated monitor), but that is something which is subjective. For me personally, if it were shifted a bit more to the cool side, the picture would give that crisp cool feeling of a early morning cold foggy day. I love the depth of field, especially that it also shows the branch. The dead center offends me a bit, but not enough to make me vomit like feet in a picture or anything like that. Overall, this is good (to my eye).

Stickman
11-09-16, 20:56
Oh man I'm going to like this thread. I've been thinking about taking some photos and the first thing I thought was 'I wish I could get Stickman to have some thoughts on them'. I figured that would be a non starter. Now I have good excuse to go for it.

On your photo, which looks different to me when it's displayed in small size vs blown up on screen. I like the things you mentioned but the thing that hit me was not what you intended to convey regarding the "why it was shot". What hit my eye was his chin / neck and the shadow in the center. It is so symmetrical his chin looks like a birds wings or some sort large insect or such. Like a shadow of an alien cast on him. It's so contrasty it draws my eye from the intended subject. For whatever reason when it's blown up it doesn't seem to be as noticeable or drawing but it's still there. It's like two subject's in the photo and his chin/neck takes top seat. The centering really doesn't bother me.

Glad you like the concept, I think it will be fun. The chin is in the picture to give a little more humanity, but to remove the facial features. When there is a human head, we automatically look as viewers into the face and eyes and it becomes the focus of the pics in the vast majority of cases. I agree viewing on a phone, versus a larger monitor makes a big difference. Thanks for the input!

Stickman
11-09-16, 20:58
With regards to "a gun on the floor" picture... Do you feel if an individual were to include their feet in the photo, should they match their socks to the carpet, or should they match them to the firearm?

Thoughts?

Of course we all know that bare feet are just nasty & should never be included...

[emoji14]

Congrats on your own sub-forum Stick! Thanks for your service & keep up the good work.

I would have no problems personally beating people who put feet in photos, especially bare feet. No one wants to see hairy hobbit toes, some of us could be eating!!

contax_shooter
11-09-16, 21:09
I'm breaking one of the requirements, which is that I don't own that 249. Couldn't resist to participate in a photography thread!

Why: I had a chance to break out of the mundane office to run around the Monte Kali event in Germany, pretending to be Public Affairs.
Likes: Unity of nations coming together to participate in such an awesome event. Not the standard "action" PAO shot. I had been very conscious about the cardinal 3's in pattern during this day.
Dislikes: Not having the proper credentials, I wasn't able to get up all in there. Typical military safety rules kept me behind way behind the firing line and stuck with a 35mm lens.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5713/30852749406_f904030f53_b.jpg

Stickman
11-09-16, 21:19
I'm breaking one of the requirements, which is that I don't own that 249. Couldn't resist to participate in a photography thread!

Why: I had a chance to break out of the mundane office to run around the Monte Kali event in Germany, pretending to be Public Affairs.
Likes: Unity of nations coming together to participate in such an awesome event. Not the standard "action" PAO shot. I had been very conscious about the cardinal 3's in pattern during this day.
Dislikes: Not having the proper credentials, I wasn't able to get up all in there. Typical military safety rules kept me behind way behind the firing line and stuck with a 35mm lens.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5713/30852749406_f904030f53_b.jpg

I think we can let it slide when we are talking about military weapons. I get what you mean with rule of threes, but in this case wonder if the image itself wouldn't tell a better story if it were cropped to just the two individuals. Then again, I don't think the way it is framed, and what you had to work with really gave you much choice but to end up with what you have. The lighting is great, the instructor on the far right becomes interesting and is telling a story with his movement, and that comes together nicely. The US trooper on the left doesn't do much for the shot, but having him cropped and partially in the pic wouldn't have worked well at all in my opinion.

A great picture would have been shooting with a 24 or 35mm from on the ground to the left of the gunner looking up and over his shoulder at the instructor. However, we are stuck with what we can do at times.

contax_shooter
11-09-16, 21:38
Thanks for the critique Stick! I probably should've revised my original post to accommodate for the series I made from that day, there isn't just ONE photo that was strong but altogether in a booklet I made it worked out. Again, handicaps with range safety aside: your suggestion of getting in close to the left of the German gunner's side would've worked well. I didn't think of that until you mentioned it. It's nice to reflect back on old work, figure out what worked and what didn't so we can apply it to the next "assignment."

I'm a huge photography nerd and study quite a lot of it. All are shot on film, Portra 400.

Here's another from the same day with the pattern of 3's again. My dislike with this is that I could've waited a little longer for the rounds to hit the backdrop and dust to kick up for a more lively photo.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5687/30853126946_3130383bc3_b.jpg

Vegas
11-09-16, 22:21
Great thread idea!

I took this one a few years ago with a Canon Rebel XS and a 50mm I think. I was trying to capture the action of the shot. The FPS on that camera is not very high so I was having to time as best as I could. What I believe is the projectile ahead of the muzzle was the cherry on top. I'm curious about thoughts on the composition for firing shots. The light could be better but it was what I had to deal with. Also curious on how others may have processed it?

Overall, I really like this shot and my buddy was stoked with it.

Cheers.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161110/8d4f902e053a4866c6e5dfa419f377be.png

BBossman
11-10-16, 07:45
I took this photo to demonstrate that as a "1911 guy" I can accept and embrace modern design and materials.

This was taken with an inexpensive Kodak pocket digital and run through Photobucket's simple editing feature. It was taken in full shade on a partly cloudy day. I like the way you can see the grain in the 1911 grips, but dislike the way a cloud passing over head shows up as a smudge in the finish of the slide. The HK... well it's an HK, not much "bling" to show off.

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq169/bbossman1/100_0341_zpswybv7wx0.jpg

Lefty223
11-10-16, 08:18
Here's my attempt, more to catalog my latest build in 7.62x39mm on the AR platform.

Likes - What I like is adding the comments, which helps me keep records of and/or show latest builds/toys to my friends. I like the background of the floor mat, gives it a purposeful 'tool'-like concept.

Dislikes - Was taken in the basement, using an Apple iPhone whilst under flourescent lighting ... so the color balance looks sorta yellowie (sp?).

C4IGrant
11-10-16, 10:14
Not a gun, but a pic that I worked to get what I wanted to showcase (which was the beautiful finish of the HK mag).

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/HK/SA80.jpg

C4

Arik
11-10-16, 10:56
Took these pictures to try and sell this gun. It's an early 70s S&W model 66 357mag. Only thing used was a cell phone. I like how it came out .....how the stainless stands out on the dark red counter. In the 1st pic I like how the reflection of the counter makes the edges of the revolver rounded

In pic 2 I like the open cylinder in the background.and it's position in regards to the barrel.

Not sure what I don't like since im not into photography. In pic 2 the revolver is on top of the original box it came in so the light seems more dull and the gun doesn't pop out/stand out as much

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161110/87a4dbb4899a244de95ce16a22786900.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161110/407921550581c5ab914952c73c165070.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Jellybean
11-10-16, 11:33
Great thread idea!

I took this one a few years ago with a Canon Rebel XS and a 50mm I think. I was trying to capture the action of the shot. The FPS on that camera is not very high so I was having to time as best as I could. What I believe is the projectile ahead of the muzzle was the cherry on top. I'm curious about thoughts on the composition for firing shots. The light could be better but it was what I had to deal with. Also curious on how others may have processed it?

Cheers.

Pretty good IMO. I've seen less interesting action shots in gun magazines....

Stickman
11-10-16, 13:52
Thanks for the critique Stick! I probably should've revised my original post to accommodate for the series I made from that day, there isn't just ONE photo that was strong but altogether in a booklet I made it worked out. Again, handicaps with range safety aside: your suggestion of getting in close to the left of the German gunner's side would've worked well. I didn't think of that until you mentioned it. It's nice to reflect back on old work, figure out what worked and what didn't so we can apply it to the next "assignment."

I'm a huge photography nerd and study quite a lot of it. All are shot on film, Portra 400.

Here's another from the same day with the pattern of 3's again. My dislike with this is that I could've waited a little longer for the rounds to hit the backdrop and dust to kick up for a more lively photo.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5687/30853126946_3130383bc3_b.jpg

This one works well, especially with the synchronized layout. Even with the constraints you were under, this still could be used as a firearm instructor poster, or for a military website.

If you had been able to take 2 or 3 steps to your left, the background would have been completely impact zone, and that would have made for perfection (IMHO).

Stickman
11-10-16, 14:08
Great thread idea!

Cheers.

This picture works very well. It might not have crazy processing, but for the firearm world, it shows a shooter with good form, proper safety equipment, and engaging in a rapid string of rounds. The exposure is solid, and the focus is in the right spot. This is the sort of photo that most people with cameras strive to get. For the person in the pic, they like it because it is a solid action photo and shows skill. For the viewer, it is a nice picture because the background is out of focus, and the eye goes directly to the spent shell casings.

Overall, this pic is rock steady.

What I would have changed would be based on artistic preferences and from shooting commercial work. I would have made the pic more gritty, if you want I can do a quick edit to show you what I mean. Functionally I would not change anything in this picture, as the composition is solid.

The downside for the person shooting the weapon is the shirt hangs in a manner which makes him look like he could lose a couple pounds. A tighter crop would change that, but again, that is very minor and highly subjective.

Stickman
11-10-16, 14:14
I took this photo to demonstrate that as a "1911 guy" I can accept and embrace modern design and materials.

This was taken with an inexpensive Kodak pocket digital and run through Photobucket's simple editing feature. It was taken in full shade on a partly cloudy day. I like the way you can see the grain in the 1911 grips, but dislike the way a cloud passing over head shows up as a smudge in the finish of the slide. The HK... well it's an HK, not much "bling" to show off.

Regarding the clouds, I could start rambling off about angle of incident equals angle of reflection and a bunch of other stuff, but it really doesn't matter. What you have here is a very good, clean picture that showcases the two items very well. This image isn't set up to be a marketing piece, and it doesn't try to be. In the layout and details, this picture shows people exactly what they need to know, and it does it very cleanly.

From an artistic point of view, sure, the cloud caused a bit of darkening, but it isn't something most people would notice. Personally I would have cocked and locked the 1911, but that is just me. The main thing which would have made this picture stand out would have been a change of background. The wood almost camouflages the HK. Since we view things on screen in a scrolling manner, placing the 1911 on the bottom would have negated that to a degree, but that is getting pretty nitpicky. What would look awesome is the exact same pic and lighting, on something darker. The highlights from the 1911 would have still stood out, but the lighter HK would have stood out more as well. Overall, this pic is better than most I see online.

Stickman
11-10-16, 15:14
Not a gun, but a pic that I worked to get what I wanted to showcase (which was the beautiful finish of the HK mag).

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/HK/SA80.jpg

C4

It certainly falls under the firearm context, so it is GTG. From a generic perspective, there isn't much that really needs to be improved on. HOWEVER, you aren't shooting generic images, so there is room for a bit of improvement. In this case, the change is simple, and to showcase the beauty and clean lines as well as sheen, there needs to be a bit more showing around the edges. This is certainly a nitpick, and minor, but a SLIGHTLY less close crop would aid in actually showing off the magazine. If you were looking to do something artistic, I would have shot it on a piece of slate so the rough would contrast the smooth, but being as you are shooting for web/ catalog, I would just show a smig more around the edges. Again, we are talking a very minor detail, but it is one that would make a difference in the "first look".

If I were shooting this for HK social media (which we have), or something similar, I would personally work an isolated background, but I don't see a need for that as the social media context and other stuff we do that way is pushing for a different result. In the realm of websites, the above pic illustrates the product nicely.

Stickman
11-10-16, 15:18
Here's my attempt, more to catalog my latest build in 7.62x39mm on the AR platform.

Likes - What I like is adding the comments, which helps me keep records of and/or show latest builds/toys to my friends. I like the background of the floor mat, gives it a purposeful 'tool'-like concept.

Dislikes - Was taken in the basement, using an Apple iPhone whilst under flourescent lighting ... so the color balance looks sorta yellowie (sp?).

Do you have a larger version you can upload by any chance?

From what I can see, your goal was reached 100% for intent of the image. The background works well, and aids nicely in presenting it as a "work shop" or industrial style layout. I like it. Regarding the dislike, I like the artistist feel the misrepresented whitebalance gives. It is kinda like a sepia tone, and it works nicely whether on purpose or not.

Stickman
11-10-16, 15:23
Took these pictures to try and sell this gun. It's an early 70s S&W model 66 357mag. Only thing used was a cell phone. I like how it came out .....how the stainless stands out on the dark red counter. In the 1st pic I like how the reflection of the counter makes the edges of the revolver rounded

In pic 2 I like the open cylinder in the background.and it's position in regards to the barrel.

Not sure what I don't like since im not into photography. In pic 2 the revolver is on top of the original box it came in so the light seems more dull and the gun doesn't pop out/stand out as much

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161110/87a4dbb4899a244de95ce16a22786900.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161110/407921550581c5ab914952c73c165070.jpg

The largest, and most immediate issue with a pic like this is the lack of light. The images become grainy, and very do so very quickly with cell phones showing an overall loss of image quality. Low light also reduces the amount of area which is in focus, which might work for artistic journeys, but fall flat when trying to sell something. For a sales shot, if I were using a phone, I would take the weapon outside for even light. If I couldn't shoot the picture with cloud cover, I would shoot it in the shade.

When shooting pics to sell a pistol, flat shots of each side are most important, with angled shots added to show the barrel crown, grip screws, or other areas added afterwards.

If you look at the first picture, the human eye is drawn to the white wall or area in the upper right. The weapon being shown on the darker background without the white area would have been a much much more compelling picture, and that means sales.

Good looking revolver though, which model and how much did it end up selling for?

Arik
11-10-16, 15:29
The largest, and most immediate issue with a pic like this is the lack of light. The images become grainy, and very do so very quickly with cell phones showing an overall loss of image quality. Low light also reduces the amount of area which is in focus, which might work for artistic journeys, but fall flat when trying to sell something. For a sales shot, if I were using a phone, I would take the weapon outside for even light. If I couldn't shoot the picture with cloud cover, I would shoot it in the shade.

When shooting pics to sell a pistol, flat shots of each side are most important, with angled shots added to show the barrel crown, grip screws, or other areas added afterwards.

If you look at the first picture, the human eye is drawn to the white wall or area in the upper right. The weapon being shown on the darker background without the white area would have been a much much more compelling picture, and that means sales.

Good looking revolver though, which model and how much did it end up selling for?

Model 66 no dash, 4inch 357 mag. Still have it, never got around to selling it cause I need the lining in the presentation box repaired. Haven't gotten around to that yet...

I do have all the generic flat shots. These two I happen to like the best. The others are typical left side/right side shots

BBossman
11-10-16, 16:32
What would look awesome is the exact same pic and lighting, on something darker. The highlights from the 1911 would have still stood out, but the lighter HK would have stood out more as well. Overall, this pic is better than most I see online.

Thanks, I have an idea for something better to use as a background next time.

tb-av
11-10-16, 18:14
Also curious on how others may have processed it?

Cheers.

go to youtube and type Dragan Photoshop. Do that to the shooter.

then look at this and work with some of his ideas.... especially dodge and burn. Dodge the shell casings especially. Crop it in cinematic aspect so it looks like a still from a fantasy type movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeFOVLzDfbY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0NJdwlySzE

You could even get rid of the gravel ground and paste in a road or cobblestones or a brick walkway to make it look more intense.

The shot looks cool though. You could color the smoke with some different light.

I like processed images, you may not be into that sort of thing.

tb-av
11-10-16, 18:21
In the 1st pic I like how the reflection of the counter makes the edges of the revolver rounded

Along with what Stickman said about the big white area, I would get rid of the light switch and door jamb.

Arik
11-10-16, 18:58
Along with what Stickman said about the big white area, I would get rid of the light switch and door jamb.
Yep! I saw that too....of course way after I took the pic.

Stickman
11-10-16, 19:40
Model 66 no dash, 4inch 357 mag. Still have it, never got around to selling it cause I need the lining in the presentation box repaired. Haven't gotten around to that yet...

I do have all the generic flat shots. These two I happen to like the best. The others are typical left side/right side shots

Very nice, I didn't recognize it as a 66!

Arik
11-10-16, 20:00
Very nice, I didn't recognize it as a 66!
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161111/138f510317fd8b7a562232b0b164e416.jpg

ISiman/oh
11-10-16, 21:31
I'll play along with this very cool thread. I'll post two pictures from my phones camera roll. (iPhone 5s)

First is a picture I sent someone of my everyday carry. A SP101 3" 357 and a well used kershaw leek. I like the back ground and the obvious shine and shadows produces from a lamp right next to the gun.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161111/26406a993746990851b732cca64f6c3d.jpg

Next is a savage axis 25-06 taken on a late season coyote hunt. Purpose was to show off the newly installed Boyds stock.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161111/c8206fdb7d3827a437555b09e4da54e2.png

Vegas
11-10-16, 22:43
What I would have changed would be based on artistic preferences and from shooting commercial work. I would have made the pic more gritty, if you want I can do a quick edit to show you what I mean. Functionally I would not change anything in this picture, as the composition is solid.

The downside for the person shooting the weapon is the shirt hangs in a manner which makes him look like he could lose a couple pounds..

Thanks for the feedback. If you get a spare minute, would love to see an edit. I keep telling my buddy he's getting porky but he doesn't listen, haha!

BrigandTwoFour
11-10-16, 23:18
Speaking of cloudy days and concrete...

I took this one nearly a year ago as an homage to Stick, hence the upside down orientation. The purpose was for an article about using VFGs, and also showing the BCM VFG that I was experimenting with at the time. It was taken with an iPhone 5s.

I like the textures of the concrete, and I think the lighting turned out alright. However, I slightly botched the cropping by snipping too much off the muzzle. In an effort to make the colors pop a bit more, I think the photo picked up a bit too much graininess. Not a big deal when shrunken down, but much more visible when posted at full size.

https://everydaymarksman.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/img_0464.jpg

BrigandTwoFour
11-10-16, 23:33
This one was taken with an iPhone 5s in a darkened room in my house. I used two task lamps and misc junk in the background. I was doing a review on the Elcan SpecterOS4x.

This one was taken to show how the optic fit in front of an MBUS Pro rear sight and to also show the updated adjustable ARMS levers. Overall, I'm happy with most things about this photo. The one issue I have is that there is a black and white patch that is blurred and slightly visible behind the optic. It's of a skull and has the words "Never Say Die" on it (a reference to the Goonies). I think the black and white combo stands out too much from the otherwise brown tones of the background.

https://everydaymarksman.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/rearquarter1.jpg

This is another from the same series, meant to be more of a "production" image. I used the same setup as before, with two task lamps, and a large sheet of white construction paper on the background. The photo was to show what the included ARD looks like while attached. I tried to hit the focus so that the serial number was just out of focus. When I ran it through Photoshop to do the white correction on the background, I think it makes the R<--->L markings on the windage adjustment pop too much, and draws attention away from what I was trying to focus on.

https://everydaymarksman.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/ardquarter1.jpg

Lastly, I took this with an iPhone 6s in my back yard on an cloudy day. It is a shot of my 1942 CMP M1, and was meant to be a phone wallpaper. I think the green sling ended up being too distracting.

https://everydaymarksman.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/dsc_0621.jpg

Here is the same day from a top angle. Background is my Vertx smock and misc patches. I used this one as a wallpaper on my computer for a long time. Biggest issue is that I couldn't get the whole rifle in the frame without also getting patches of the underlying grass, so I had to crop it tighter and lose some of the rifle.

https://everydaymarksman.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/img_0438.jpg

Uprange41
11-11-16, 12:39
Good thread idea, Stick.

This is a photo I've always generally liked, but haven't been 100% on.

Why it was shot: I noticed how much wear had accumulated on the bolt and mag well, and wanted a photo to highlight it.

What I like: I like that my eye goes to the center of the receiver, and generally shows what I want while softening what I don't want. I also am pretty happy with the white balance and general feel.

What I don't like: The rifle is too much of a "slash" through the center, where I think taking up a more aesthetically-pleasing corner would be best. I was using a 35mm prime (best glass I have) at the time, and just got lazy in getting the right composition. I'm indifferent on the background. I think it could've been better, but I'm not sure how.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5492/30918826095_a6afa02d85_c.jpg (https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5492/30918826095_2372bb629c_o.jpg)

militarymoron
11-11-16, 16:17
Hey Stick,
Maybe you can change the thread title to 'Critique my weapon photo', even though I think by now most have caught on. :)

Most of the photos I take for my website have been to illustrate the item as clearly as possible, hence they're less artistic, and more illustrative. As you know, I've always had a great deal of respect for your photographic eye and skills, and am aware of the work that goes into them. There's a real art to getting the right composition, and sometimes I think that it's just as important as lighting to get that 'good' photo.

Here are as few shots I've taken in the past, and the different points/intents of the photos that Stick can add to:

Very basic 'illustration' - no real artistic intent; taken to show wear on upper receiver (a photo like this might be used for an auction of that item, for example):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/sp1upper.jpg

Another basic shot, with the weapon angled to fill the frame better. It's more pleasing that just squared up.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/kdg42.jpg

Another pretty basic 'white background' one-dimensional, slightly over-exposed shot - with a bit of accessories thrown in to give the weapon some context (I'd call it one tiny level of effort over the the previous one, LOL). Lighting is a bit harsh with no angle (so no shadows), no diffusers over lights. If I wanted a prettier picture, I might take it on a different background that lends itself to the period/setting with the lights at angles to create more shadows and texture/depth.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/xm6.jpg

The next progression is another simple white background shot, but taken from an angle (instead of the weapon just rotated in the frame) to include the third dimension.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/ax5564.jpg

Now here are a couple of non-white backgrounds shots with directional lighting, which is chosen to focus the attention on the article at hand and bring out the details.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/ax55662.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/wml2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/mmkac.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/mmzt4.jpg

The rest are just other examples of the same - 'nice looking' illustrative shots without too much post-processing - maybe some shading here and there. No 'gritty' filter etc.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/tdkac.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/bhp21.jpg

WS6
11-12-16, 04:32
(Click for fullsize)

This photo was taken to showcase something I've never seen before (no shims, lined up perfectly for me at 24-28# torque.)

I used a galaxy s4, and indoor lighting from above, as well as flash, against a textured off white wall. I like the lighting because it emphasizes the area of interest while keeping the muzzle device very visible, but somewhat discreet, if you will. This is more a product of the potato dying like a dog for resolution without a lot of light than any special focus, imo, but I like the results. The photo is centered and symmetrical---almost, to further underline the OCD pleasure this gave me, while also paying homage to all those muzzle devices out there that didn't just perfectly line up.

I dislike that the resolution of my potato is poor.

tb-av
11-13-16, 11:45
Now here are a couple of non-white backgrounds shots with directional lighting, which is chosen to focus the attention on the article at hand and bring out the details.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/ax55662.jpg

I really like that one. What exactly is your background for that. What material? Or is the background done in PS?

OR... since this is not supposed to a how-to specific thread.... What backgrounds do you have good results with when the intent is black on black. I get the reflective surface, or the textured contrast, but when you want the background to basically just be black, do you still use a certain material under it or just replace the background in PS?

Stickman
11-13-16, 13:52
Speaking of cloudy days and concrete...

I took this one nearly a year ago as an homage to Stick, hence the upside down orientation. The purpose was for an article about using VFGs, and also showing the BCM VFG that I was experimenting with at the time. It was taken with an iPhone 5s.

I like the textures of the concrete, and I think the lighting turned out alright. However, I slightly botched the cropping by snipping too much off the muzzle. In an effort to make the colors pop a bit more, I think the photo picked up a bit too much graininess. Not a big deal when shrunken down, but much more visible when posted at full size.

https://everydaymarksman.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/img_0464.jpg

For showing a complete weapon, I think you nailed it. You already know the crop is a bit too tight, so no point in harping on that issue. This is a great, simple way to take good, clean pictures. Regarding the grain, there isn't much you can do aside from getting more light, and even then it is still an iPhone we are talking about.

Stickman
11-13-16, 13:54
This one was taken with an iPhone 5s in a darkened room in my house. I used two task lamps and misc junk in the background. I was doing a review on the Elcan SpecterOS4x.

This one was taken to show how the optic fit in front of an MBUS Pro rear sight and to also show the updated adjustable ARMS levers. Overall, I'm happy with most things about this photo. The one issue I have is that there is a black and white patch that is blurred and slightly visible behind the optic. It's of a skull and has the words "Never Say Die" on it (a reference to the Goonies). I think the black and white combo stands out too much from the otherwise brown tones of the background.

https://everydaymarksman.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/rearquarter1.jpg

This is another from the same series, meant to be more of a "production" image. I used the same setup as before, with two task lamps, and a large sheet of white construction paper on the background. The photo was to show what the included ARD looks like while attached. I tried to hit the focus so that the serial number was just out of focus. When I ran it through Photoshop to do the white correction on the background, I think it makes the R<--->L markings on the windage adjustment pop too much, and draws attention away from what I was trying to focus on.

https://everydaymarksman.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/ardquarter1.jpg

Lastly, I took this with an iPhone 6s in my back yard on an cloudy day. It is a shot of my 1942 CMP M1, and was meant to be a phone wallpaper. I think the green sling ended up being too distracting.

https://everydaymarksman.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/dsc_0621.jpg

Here is the same day from a top angle. Background is my Vertx smock and misc patches. I used this one as a wallpaper on my computer for a long time. Biggest issue is that I couldn't get the whole rifle in the frame without also getting patches of the underlying grass, so I had to crop it tighter and lose some of the rifle.

https://everydaymarksman.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/img_0438.jpg

By far, the last picture is the best of them. The shallow depth of field doesn't tend to work well (IMHO) for most review or product style photos.

Stickman
11-13-16, 13:59
Good thread idea, Stick.

This is a photo I've always generally liked, but haven't been 100% on.

Why it was shot: I noticed how much wear had accumulated on the bolt and mag well, and wanted a photo to highlight it.

What I like: I like that my eye goes to the center of the receiver, and generally shows what I want while softening what I don't want. I also am pretty happy with the white balance and general feel.

What I don't like: The rifle is too much of a "slash" through the center, where I think taking up a more aesthetically-pleasing corner would be best. I was using a 35mm prime (best glass I have) at the time, and just got lazy in getting the right composition. I'm indifferent on the background. I think it could've been better, but I'm not sure how.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5492/30918826095_a6afa02d85_c.jpg (https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5492/30918826095_2372bb629c_o.jpg)

I like what you like with this shot. I have zero problem with the diagonal style, and think it works well as it brings your eye right to the correct focal point.

I don't care for the single leaf, and think a few leaves would have worked better, or none at all. The leaf stems are a small item, but needlessly distracting for someone who spends time looking at the picture, which is something the single leaf doesn't do. However, the pic hits the mark for what you were looking to achieve.

I find question with the entire charging handle not being shown. It is so small that a little more focus on the composition would have stepped this up. Small issues overall, and I think its ends up being a good shot.

Stickman
11-13-16, 14:15
Hey Stick,
Maybe you can change the thread title to 'Critique my weapon photo', even though I think by now most have caught on. :)

Most of the photos I take for my website have been to illustrate the item as clearly as possible, hence they're less artistic, and more illustrative. As you know, I've always had a great deal of respect for your photographic eye and skills, and am aware of the work that goes into them. There's a real art to getting the right composition, and sometimes I think that it's just as important as lighting to get that 'good' photo.

Here are as few shots I've taken in the past, and the different points/intents of the photos that Stick can add to:

Title changed, and good call.

There honestly isn't much I can say about your shots to critique. They are solid, and any changes that I would consider making would simply be reflective of how we personally shoot pictures. You don't have a need to rely on filters or cheap gimmicks like many people do as you are able to continuously take solid pictures as needed to illustrate your desired intent. I have zero qualms about recommending you above others to shoot commercial pictures, and there is multiple reasons, not that I expect manufacturers to be reading this thread or seeing you get the official seal of Stick approval.

You have consistency, and for commercial work, that can NOT be emphasized enough. I've seen and heard over and over from manufacturers they have used someone who watermarks their pictures, or says they are a photographer in over post or in the user name, so they must be professional.... The manufactures have seen a picture or two that they really like, usually something heavily filtered or abstract, which is unique or stands out to that particular person. There is certainly nothing wrong with that. HOWEVER, what they fail to see is the individual lacks the ability to produce clean images on a regular basis, and is forced to use gimmicks (insert fake background jokes here), or heavy filtering to make up for their lack of ability. When assigned a task, these people are complete failures. You don't have that, what you have is longevity in producing solid images for years and years. I could recommend you to anyone, and know that you would not be a source of embarrassment, or that you would flake.

I agree that composition is a large element that often equals or even exceeds (depending upon the circumstances) the lighting or other certain other key aspects of the overall image. A boring picture is boring, and with good composition, a pic can't be boring.

Stickman
11-13-16, 14:17
(Click for fullsize)

This photo was taken to showcase something I've never seen before (no shims, lined up perfectly for me at 24-28# torque.)

I used a galaxy s4, and indoor lighting from above, as well as flash, against a textured off white wall. I like the lighting because it emphasizes the area of interest while keeping the muzzle device very visible, but somewhat discreet, if you will. This is more a product of the potato dying like a dog for resolution without a lot of light than any special focus, imo, but I like the results. The photo is centered and symmetrical---almost, to further underline the OCD pleasure this gave me, while also paying homage to all those muzzle devices out there that didn't just perfectly line up.

I dislike that the resolution of my potato is poor.

I'm going to differ with your thoughts on this one, the lack of even lighting detracts from the overall image. I think it is important to remember this is simply my subjective though on it, but the front end needs more light. I'm totally good with everything else, but the lack of lighting on the front makes this a picture I think most people would scroll past.

Stickman
11-13-16, 14:20
I really like that one. What exactly is your background for that. What material? Or is the background done in PS?

OR... since this is not supposed to a how-to specific thread.... What backgrounds do you have good results with when the intent is black on black. I get the reflective surface, or the textured contrast, but when you want the background to basically just be black, do you still use a certain material under it or just replace the background in PS?

Not a how to thread, please keep comments dedicated towards critique of the picture. If people start explaining how they shoot pictures the thread is immediately derailed and turns into a "how do I shoot this", or "how can I copy that" thread, which is what I do NOT want it to be.

Hopefully that makes some sense.

Thanks!

WS6
11-13-16, 19:48
I'm going to differ with your thoughts on this one, the lack of even lighting detracts from the overall image. I think it is important to remember this is simply my subjective though on it, but the front end needs more light. I'm totally good with everything else, but the lack of lighting on the front makes this a picture I think most people would scroll past.

I can't argue it. Thank you for the info!

militarymoron
11-13-16, 20:23

I have a black course-weave cotton cloth that I use for black backgrounds. I just went to the fabric store and got a couple of yards of the most non-reflective cloth they had. I'll do a bit of post-processing in PS if need be. (sorry Stick - i answered before I saw your comment to keep it to photo critiques).

militarymoron
11-13-16, 20:33
Title changed, and good call.

Thanks for the comments, Stick. Much appreciated. I've pretty much stopped doing commercial photography for the last couple of years simply due to the lack of time - I'm focusing (my time and lens, lol) on my 8-year old son more now. I think I sent a few of my prior photography customers your way when I didn't have the time to take them on. At least, you were first on my list of recommended industry photographers.

I'm so glad that you brought up the fact that just because a picture is watermarked with 'XX photography' in cursive doesn't mean that the person who took the photo is a photographer.

Uprange41
11-13-16, 20:40
I like what you like with this shot. I have zero problem with the diagonal style, and think it works well as it brings your eye right to the correct focal point.

I don't care for the single leaf, and think a few leaves would have worked better, or none at all. The leaf stems are a small item, but needlessly distracting for someone who spends time looking at the picture, which is something the single leaf doesn't do. However, the pic hits the mark for what you were looking to achieve.

I find question with the entire charging handle not being shown. It is so small that a little more focus on the composition would have stepped this up. Small issues overall, and I think its ends up being a good shot.
Your feedback is much appreciated!

The composition was somewhat lazy, as I mentioned, so whatever background elements were there, were just there. I have played around with what in the hell to actually do with leaves since taking this one, and I just end up not being able to decide what actually works. And the charging handle was simply an oversight, nothing more. I'm going to re-take this tomorrow with more attention to detail, and I'll post results!

BrigandTwoFour
11-14-16, 12:28
By far, the last picture is the best of them. The shallow depth of field doesn't tend to work well (IMHO) for most review or product style photos.

I appreciate it, Stick. I'll keep working on the depth of field issue. It might be a limitation of the iPhone's camera. I have a Nikon D3000 sitting around, and I've been itching for an Olympus OM-D 10 Mk II. I know they would produce better photos, but I think I was too enamored with the convenience of the phone camera.

tb-av
11-14-16, 13:41
Not a how to thread, please keep comments dedicated towards critique of the picture. If people start explaining how they shoot pictures the thread is immediately derailed and turns into a "how do I shoot this", or "how can I copy that" thread, which is what I do NOT want it to be.

Hopefully that makes some sense.

Thanks!

Understood... won't happen again.

Stickman
11-14-16, 15:08
Understood... won't happen again.

No problem, thanks for taking it the right way. Internet lack of inflection can introduce insults or hard feelings sometimes where none are intended. I just want to keep this thread on topic. :-D

P2000
11-14-16, 19:30
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j248/87228/DSC_2583_zpsfumbzgda.jpg

First I have to say, cool thread. Opportunities for feedback from a talented professional like Stickman are rare. As an amateur hobbyist photographer I welcome any pointers.
I decided to grab a picture of my 3 AR's. The sky was intermittently cloudy-sunny. Despite the backdrop being my dead lawn, I like the way the yellow pops in this picture, bright, hot, dry, arid. Maybe it's not my dead lawn, and on the prairies of some far away land. Usually anything I take a picture of in the direct sunlight looks blah, but this seemed to pop. Furthermore, at the time I had really been shooting the SPR exclusively, and it is standing up. The others are laying down, unused.
As a bonus, this can serve as a picture for insurance purposes, having nearly lost all 3 rifles in a boating accident.

Stickman
11-14-16, 19:38

First I have to say, cool thread. Opportunities for feedback from a talented professional like Stickman are rare. As an amateur hobbyist photographer I welcome any pointers.
I decided to grab a picture of my 3 AR's. The sky was intermittently cloudy-sunny. Despite the backdrop being my dead lawn, I like the way the yellow pops in this picture, bright, hot, dry, arid. Maybe it's not my dead lawn, and on the prairies of some far away land. Usually anything I take a picture of in the direct sunlight looks blah, but this seemed to pop. Furthermore, at the time I had really been shooting the SPR exclusively, and it is standing up. The others are laying down, unused.
As a bonus, this can serve as a picture for insurance purposes, having nearly lost all 3 rifles in a boating accident.

By any chance, did you take one from the side where the magazines are pointing?

P2000
11-14-16, 19:49
By any chance, did you take one from the side where the magazines are pointing?

Yes I did. I almost like it, but I thought it was a little flat. Had I waited for more clouds to roll in and cleaned the rifles better it might have turned out.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j248/87228/DSC_2586_zpsmil4mx4g.jpg

I think a horizontal picture with less saturation would have nailed it. The processing style makes this one pretty subjective, which might be why it isn't creating a firearm lust in my heart.

Thank you!

tb-av
11-14-16, 20:39

I actually like the overall tonality. The tan rifle looks like a big grasshopper or some such. Sort of surreal. but I don't think the black rifles belong in the shot. What is behind off in the distance? Just wondering what it would look like with the "legs" right at bottom of frame and then that long yellow/orange field extending all back and around.

JulyAZ
11-14-16, 20:53
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161115/967e0cee0f635203d4585477d759e6f0.jpg

Here here's my next shot, I took this in the days after I hit the rifle with the rattle can, it was one of many. I was trying to show the camo job in different areas. What I like is the feel of the photo, the warmth of the photo you could almost see the Arizona heat. It makes it look like the rifle was out there being put to work. This is the raw photo, no editing of it that I can recall, but I maybe mistaken.

Talon167
11-16-16, 17:38
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d135/Talnz167/Cannons/CC_HET1_2014/P9267562_RAW_zpsead46330.jpg

This is a photo I took of my USP 45 Custom Combat. I prefer to take photos outside in natural light. I put the pistol here because I thought the backdrop was pretty neat and gave the photo a rustic look. The photo is trying to convey some hard use the pistol has been through. Guns always look better when they're beat up a little. The gun had seen about 12k rounds and three training classes (this photo was taken after a class while she was still dirty).

Photo was taken in RAW with my Olympus Evolt 520.

Any constructive criticism would be appreciated, Stick.

556BlackRifle
11-16-16, 18:38
Here's one from a few years ago that I really like.

S&W Model 60 .357 Mag
Hornady Critical Duty (https://www.midwayusa.com/product/390687/hornady-critical-duty-ammunition-357-magnum-135-grain-flexlock-box-of-25)
Chris Reeve Sebenza (http://www.chrisreeve.com/sebenza-21.html)
Seiko SKX007 modified by Bill Yao of MK II watches (https://www.mkiiwatches.com/).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/Mike16610/WatchampGun_zpsfe26bac1.jpg

Evel Baldgui
11-16-16, 18:49
Enjoyed all the photos, really nothing to criticize

Stickman
11-16-16, 18:58
Enjoyed all the photos, really nothing to criticize

Don't be a stranger, throw in a picture. No one is being a jerk in the thread, and if they do, I have magical powers in this forum section to help cure them of being fussy or rude.

Stickman
11-16-16, 18:59
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161115/967e0cee0f635203d4585477d759e6f0.jpg

Here here's my next shot, I took this in the days after I hit the rifle with the rattle can, it was one of many. I was trying to show the camo job in different areas. What I like is the feel of the photo, the warmth of the photo you could almost see the Arizona heat. It makes it look like the rifle was out there being put to work. This is the raw photo, no editing of it that I can recall, but I maybe mistaken.

I could have sworn I replied to this one already and commented that I liked it!

Stickman
11-16-16, 19:04
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d135/Talnz167/Cannons/CC_HET1_2014/P9267562_RAW_zpsead46330.jpg

This is a photo I took of my USP 45 Custom Combat. I prefer to take photos outside in natural light. I put the pistol here because I thought the backdrop was pretty neat and gave the photo a rustic look. The photo is trying to convey some hard use the pistol has been through. Guns always look better when they're beat up a little. The gun had seen about 12k rounds and three training classes (this photo was taken after a class while she was still dirty).

Photo was taken in RAW with my Olympus Evolt 520.

Any constructive criticism would be appreciated, Stick.

This is so close to being an awesome picture that it pains me. Seriously. The image needed to you to take a step to the left and shoot it a bit more flat on. While I can certainly understand the idea of not wanting a "dead flat" picture, in this case it would have hit the magic mark. In this case you can see the depth of field is shallow, and it really needed a little more to grab onto the pic. It also looks like the camera is front focusing a bit, but that could have been a bit of front to back movement on your part, so it is hard to say with finality.

If you were my nephew, I would tell you how super close it was to being awesome, and for getting my hopes up you owe me 20 pullups, but since you aren't, I'll leave it as you came super close. ;)

Stickman
11-16-16, 19:13
Here's one from a few years ago that I really like.

S&W Model 60 .357 Mag
Hornady Critical Duty (https://www.midwayusa.com/product/390687/hornady-critical-duty-ammunition-357-magnum-135-grain-flexlock-box-of-25)
Chris Reeve Sebenza (http://www.chrisreeve.com/sebenza-21.html)
Seiko SKX007 modified by Bill Yao of MK II watches (https://www.mkiiwatches.com/).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/Mike16610/WatchampGun_zpsfe26bac1.jpg

You have the makings of perfection here in your hot little hands, but you also have found a way to make me cry deep inside.

1- Round behind the pistol grip? Really? You need a smack in the hand with a ruler from one of the nuns who I learned from in second grade. She would show you the error of your ways.
2- Rotate the pistol towards the viewer for a more even light, or get a larger light source. Sister is coming to slap you for that one as well.
3- Watch and knife need to be propped up a bit so the light hits them differently, either that or get more light on the objects, either will work. HOWEVER, I'm so offended, it reminds me of the time I fell while leaning back on my chair in class, grabbed my desk, and the desk fell over on top of me emptying all of its contents. Sister was not impressed. Nor was she impressed after I failed to learn my lesson and did it again ten minutes later. Yes, I have that sort of disappointment in you, because you have the most awesome ingredients, and you let me down. Now I know how Sister Mary felt, but you don't quite feel the pain I did, which is really the biggest shame. :D

Please take the above writings in a humorous manner, though the events are all true. Sadly.

556BlackRifle
11-16-16, 19:29
Thanks for the comments. I want to be a better photographer and I'm willing to work at it. Your comments will help me make that happen - so thank you and also a big thank you to the good sister as well.

JulyAZ
11-16-16, 19:41
I could have sworn I replied to this one already and commented that I liked it!

Thanks Stick!

JulyAZ
11-16-16, 21:44
Here's another photo of mine, what I like is the feeling of desperation I get from it.

I dislike the lack of color, but IMO it is also what makes the photo.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161117/5f2151f1b6584e53a00ec57d3c2b5fe2.jpg

Circle_10
11-16-16, 21:45
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2/Circle_10/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150912_153903_633.jpg

Took this pic partly just because I enjoy gun photography........and partly to be an asshole. I have an associate who likes guns but who is also a wicked lefty/male feminist/social justice warrior (he's currently having a meltdown about the election.), I like the guy but sometimes he gets on my nerves, posting articles from Jezebel and whatnot all the time so I sometimes post pics of all the cool stuff I have that he can't afford because he's worked at McDonalds for the last thirteen years.

What do I like? The colors of the AK and the bakelite mag, and the pattern of the concrete slab it's on.
What don't I like? The angle is boring, lighting isn't good, the image isn't very crisp, and I really should have swept the debris off the slab before taking the pic...although at the time I never suspected I'd be submitting the image for critique.

Next pic, Carcano carbine.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2/Circle_10/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150911_175936_847-1.jpg

The why is the same, as are most of the likes and dislikes. I remember the lighting being bad at the time I took it. I like how the cartridges contrast with the concrete. I recall art classes in high school where I learned about utilizing spots of coloration in an otherwise drab picture that would draw the viewer's eye and I think the stripper clips achieve a similar effect, too bad the overall picture quality isn't great. The slight "halo" effect around the gun occurred naturally in this and several other pics I took.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2/Circle_10/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150707_172419_025.jpg

Pic taken for the hell of it.
I like the angle and the colors and texture of the pine needle-strewn asphalt. The bakelite mag catches the eye.
I feel like it would be better if the image were crisper and my hand wasn't visible.

09fatbob
11-18-16, 05:52
Awesome

bad aim
11-18-16, 08:23
Always looking to improve, so here we go!

- I was aiming at showcasing the heart of the gun, the upper/lower and all the components (ABC/R, Norgon, ambi safety, etc.).
- This was shot with an iPhone 6, I'm looking at investing in a DSLR in the near future.

Things I like:
- The overall tone and hues of the picture.

Things I don't like:
- Should've swept the deck before...it was only after taking the pictures did I notice the little white specks.
- The blue magazine paint pen marking is distracting

http://i1316.photobucket.com/albums/t607/FireSales/IMG_3499_zpsuulcldm3.jpg (http://s1316.photobucket.com/user/FireSales/media/IMG_3499_zpsuulcldm3.jpg.html)

Circle_10
11-18-16, 09:15
Another one, pic of an Israeli police surplus FN Hi Power and a Himalayan Imports "villager" Khukri.
http://i.imgur.com/BAZ0OIR.jpg?1

Likes: it's a Hi Power and a Khukri. I like the background. In this case I think the scattered pine needles are a plus.

Dislikes: boring angle. I wish the Hi Power hadn't come out so dark, so the wear on the finish was more evident (to go with the worn looking Khukri).

Below is an older photo of the same two item that I like a bit more.
http://i.imgur.com/fJUoLSW.jpg?1
I took the newer one in an attempt to improve on the older one and really didn't.

Talon167
11-19-16, 19:58
This is so close to being an awesome picture that it pains me. Seriously. The image needed to you to take a step to the left and shoot it a bit more flat on. While I can certainly understand the idea of not wanting a "dead flat" picture, in this case it would have hit the magic mark. In this case you can see the depth of field is shallow, and it really needed a little more to grab onto the pic. It also looks like the camera is front focusing a bit, but that could have been a bit of front to back movement on your part, so it is hard to say with finality.

If you were my nephew, I would tell you how super close it was to being awesome, and for getting my hopes up you owe me 20 pullups, but since you aren't, I'll leave it as you came super close. ;)

Close but no cigar, eh? I do see what you mean. I should be playing with the F-stops more, as I also believe the photo is focused on the front putting everything else... not out of focus, but less in focus.

Anyway, here is another. I am not 100% in love with this photo as I feel something is missing but I can't quite put my finger on it. This is another pistol of mine that has seen some use, so I was trying to capture that. The weather (aka lighting) wasn't the best. Unfortunately, I don't have much time to dedicate to photography... so when I do have the time I have to work with what Mother Nature is providing.

I do like how it came out; it did what I was trying to capture. I used the rifle more of a prop to get the angle and lighting I wanted, but I think it ended up being a nice backdrop (the wetish grass wasn't working well). I don't have a macro lens, but I think it came out pretty good anyway. You tell me.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d135/Talnz167/Cannons/CC_CET1_HET1_VET1/PA268288_RAW_zps3joieypk.jpg

Photo was taken in RAW with my Evolt 520.

Koshinn
11-19-16, 21:02
Close but no cigar, eh? I do see what you mean. I should be playing with the F-stops more, as I also believe the photo is focused on the front putting everything else... not out of focus, but less in focus.

Anyway, here is another. I am not 100% in love with this photo as I feel something is missing but I can't quite put my finger on it. This is another pistol of mine that has seen some use, so I was trying to capture that. The weather (aka lighting) wasn't the best. Unfortunately, I don't have much time to dedicate to photography... so when I do have the time I have to work with what Mother Nature is providing.

I do like how it came out; it did what I was trying to capture. I used the rifle more of a prop to get the angle and lighting I wanted, but I think it ended up being a nice backdrop (the wetish grass wasn't working well). I don't have a macro lens, but I think it came out pretty good anyway. You tell me.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d135/Talnz167/Cannons/CC_CET1_HET1_VET1/PA268288_RAW_zps3joieypk.jpg

Photo was taken in RAW with my Evolt 520.

I can't name why, but something about this image is deeply unsettling to me. It's not the subject matter of course, it's just... I don't know. I can't place my finger on it.

It could be a combination of a few things... the very very slightly not-horizontal alignment of both the AR and the P30, that both the AR and P30 aren't showing full components (you don't see a full receiver nor full slide/frame), that the AR is in the background but is in fairly good focus but isn't the actual subject of the image... or maybe it's none of those things and it's something else.

Stickman
11-20-16, 15:02
Here's another photo of mine, what I like is the feeling of desperation I get from it.

I dislike the lack of color, but IMO it is also what makes the photo.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161117/5f2151f1b6584e53a00ec57d3c2b5fe2.jpg

On a calibrated monitor (current updates Spyder 4 by Datacolor) there is a lot of color.

Stickman
11-20-16, 15:25
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2/Circle_10/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150912_153903_633.jpg

I really like this, and feel pretty much everything works with it. Nicely done.

Stickman
11-20-16, 15:27
Awesome

If you took that same picture on concrete, like on your garage floor, that would be sweet. However, as it stands, it is just a gun on the carpet. If you take a look at the above pic I commented on, his isn't that much different than yours, other than having more light and clarity, but the main difference is the background. A background can make or break a picture, and in this case it is most certainly working against you.

Stickman
11-20-16, 15:29
Always looking to improve, so here we go!

- I was aiming at showcasing the heart of the gun, the upper/lower and all the components (ABC/R, Norgon, ambi safety, etc.).
- This was shot with an iPhone 6, I'm looking at investing in a DSLR in the near future.

Things I like:
- The overall tone and hues of the picture.

Things I don't like:
- Should've swept the deck before...it was only after taking the pictures did I notice the little white specks.
- The blue magazine paint pen marking is distracting

http://i1316.photobucket.com/albums/t607/FireSales/IMG_3499_zpsuulcldm3.jpg (http://s1316.photobucket.com/user/FireSales/media/IMG_3499_zpsuulcldm3.jpg.html)

Rock solid with this one, and while subjectively the vignette is a bit heavier than I would like to see on this background, the pictures shows off the parts very nicely with the nice even soft light.

Good stuff.

Stickman
11-20-16, 15:36
Another one, pic of an Israeli police surplus FN Hi Power and a Himalayan Imports "villager" Khukri.
http://i.imgur.com/BAZ0OIR.jpg?1

Likes: it's a Hi Power and a Khukri. I like the background. In this case I think the scattered pine needles are a plus.

Dislikes: boring angle. I wish the Hi Power hadn't come out so dark, so the wear on the finish was more evident (to go with the worn looking Khukri).

Below is an older photo of the same two item that I like a bit more.
http://i.imgur.com/fJUoLSW.jpg?1
I took the newer one in an attempt to improve on the older one and really didn't.

The bottom picture is so much better, there isn't a need to even discuss the top pic.

Let us start with the Kuk, because I love them, and you are a filthy beast for letting yours rust. You deserve to be beaten like a dog who has grabbed the Christmas ham off the dinner table in front of the family and is being chased through the house (true story, but not my family). With that chastisement out of the way, let's get back to the picture which is horrible in clarity and detail, but awesome in content and simplicity.

The layout and background, along with the content are very strong in this shot. Both items are worn, used, and just like they should be. Neither of those tools are expected to lead an easy life, and that background makes sure the viewer understands it. The weapons are at home in a warzone/ work zone. No liberal safety pin wearing activities at Starbucks for this two, they lead a good clean life.

This is good stuff, and as people can see, it doesn't have to be fancy with these last pictures to tell a story. If you needed to title that picture, I think it would be "Hiring: No pretty boys need apply".

lazerblazer
11-20-16, 18:28
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161121/b4f07f73111020a35ea21be83adda14f.jpg

Here is a photo of an AR pistol I was trying to sale, I was trying to showcase the "coolness" of the pistol in this shot. I like the angle and colors of the shot. What I would change is the lighting to separate the red wall from the wood, or maybe white sheet draped over table.

Circle_10
11-20-16, 18:30
I really like this, and feel pretty much everything works with it. Nicely done.

Thanks! Glad the pic isn't as "meh" as I felt it was. The surface of that concrete slab is surprisingly dynamic by concrete slab standards.

The bottom picture is so much better, there isn't a need to even discuss the top pic.

Let us start with the Kuk, because I love them, and you are a filthy beast for letting yours rust. You deserve to be beaten like a dog who has grabbed the Christmas ham off the dinner table in front of the family and is being chased through the house (true story, but not my family).

I should point out that it was one of Himalayan Import's bargain priced "deal of the day" Kuks and it already had some surface rust on it when I got it, that plus the really rough finish gives the "Villager" Kuks a brutish quality. When I got it, my first thought upon unwrapping it was it looked like something an orc from the "Lord of the Rings" movies would carry. I have a few nicer HI Khukris as well but the villager in the pic is my "working" Kuk that rides within drawing distance in my jeep.

With that chastisement out of the way, let's get back to the picture which is horrible in clarity and detail, but awesome in content and simplicity.

The layout and background, along with the content are very strong in this shot. Both items are worn, used, and just like they should be. Neither of those tools are expected to lead an easy life, and that background makes sure the viewer understands it. The weapons are at home in a warzone/ work zone. No liberal safety pin wearing activities at Starbucks for this two, they lead a good clean life.

This is good stuff, and as people can see, it doesn't have to be fancy with these last pictures to tell a story. If you needed to title that picture, I think it would be "Hiring: No pretty boys need apply".

Awesome, that is pretty much the vibe I wanted the pic to have so I'm glad I was able to pull it off. Regarding the clarity issue, these pics are all taken with a cellphone rather than an actual camera, I dunno how much difference that makes. The newer pic was taken with a newer phone with a supposedly better camera, but I definitely agree the older version is superior.

JulyAZ
11-20-16, 18:47
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161121/e1e83403b4bcc698f8657b85b76d5844.jpg

I don't like that I got this shot without a mag inserted. I do love that I got the sun creeping up over the hill just before daybreak.

Stickman
11-23-16, 20:01
Thanks! Glad the pic isn't as "meh" as I felt it was. The surface of that concrete slab is surprisingly dynamic by concrete slab standards.

I should point out that it was one of Himalayan Import's bargain priced "deal of the day" Kuks and it already had some surface rust on it when I got it, that plus the really rough finish gives the "Villager" Kuks a brutish quality. When I got it, my first thought upon unwrapping it was it looked like something an orc from the "Lord of the Rings" movies would carry. I have a few nicer HI Khukris as well but the villager in the pic is my "working" Kuk that rides within drawing distance in my jeep.

Awesome, that is pretty much the vibe I wanted the pic to have so I'm glad I was able to pull it off. Regarding the clarity issue, these pics are all taken with a cellphone rather than an actual camera, I dunno how much difference that makes. The newer pic was taken with a newer phone with a supposedly better camera, but I definitely agree the older version is superior.

I've had my Kuk since early 80s, and that thing has always been a beast. They are incredible tools.

P2000
11-23-16, 21:14
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j248/87228/DSC_3059_zps2kksdplq.jpg

markm
11-23-16, 22:33
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/20160927_163112_zpsvhqis87b.jpg

Stickman
11-24-16, 12:42
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j248/87228/DSC_3059_zps2kksdplq.jpg

Nice and clean B&W conversion, but the background is still unnecessary clutter and only detracts from the image. I would have personally liked to have seen the grip in focus as well, but if you are trying to just emphasis the KAC text on the lower it works.

Stickman
11-24-16, 13:04
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/20160927_163112_zpsvhqis87b.jpg

Fancy boy rail = -87
Pretty boy muzzle device= -87
Go go gadget bipod= +87
Uranus sized scope= -87
Non gay scope mount= +87
Alt girl safety= +87
Homo Erectus stock= -87
Background broomstick= +87

Good shot, and while some people are offended by the use of filters, I am not. I find myself confused by the way you prop your giant wood against the broom, but far be it from myself to be condescending about another mans wood.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

dentron
11-24-16, 16:17
Picture was taken to show my new LW 12.5 upper with my 10"s.

What I like: I tried a few different postions, and this one seemed to balance best. I also like the crappy paint peeling deck as a background, I think it adds a rough look to the picture.

What I don't like: still dont think its 100% balanced. I wanted to have them not laying parallel, but couldn't get it to look the way I wanted.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161124/76e4ad39e08c0c339818d8b57550b4b7.jpg

Stickman
11-25-16, 00:36
Picture was taken to show my new LW 12.5 upper with my 10"s.

What I like: I tried a few different postions, and this one seemed to balance best. I also like the crappy paint peeling deck as a background, I think it adds a rough look to the picture.

What I don't like: still dont think its 100% balanced. I wanted to have them not laying parallel, but couldn't get it to look the way I wanted.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161124/76e4ad39e08c0c339818d8b57550b4b7.jpg

There is so much going on in the picture, there becomes nothing to focus on. While the peeling deck paint would appear to be an asset with its addition of texture, it only help to detract from the overall image.

I think a single weapon probably would work on the deck, but as it sits now.... it doesn't quite meet the mark, which is a shame as it is nice hardware.

dentron
11-25-16, 08:58
There is so much going on in the picture, there becomes nothing to focus on. While the peeling deck paint would appear to be an asset with its addition of texture, it only help to detract from the overall image.

I think a single weapon probably would work on the deck, but as it sits now.... it doesn't quite meet the mark, which is a shame as it is nice hardware.
thanks for the input

Soxfan9
11-26-16, 16:56
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161126/8189e7968646b641908f8cae945c7798.jpg

I took this to send to my friend who is a gun guy and photographer. I'm really happy with it, I especially like the background.

tb-av
11-26-16, 18:00
Damn, that is nice. There is one little spec of dust in the 4th serration valley. I guess it doesn't really matter but I think I would crop it up by the muzzle about the same as by hammer and mag. It kinda looks like it almost ran out of room. Maybe it's the yellow bar the web page puts on it.

That's a clean machine.

Soxfan9
11-27-16, 08:02
Damn, that is nice. There is one little spec of dust in the 4th serration valley. I guess it doesn't really matter but I think I would crop it up by the muzzle about the same as by hammer and mag. It kinda looks like it almost ran out of room. Maybe it's the yellow bar the web page puts on it.

That's a clean machine.
Good feedback, cropping would help. Thanks.

MAUSER202
11-29-16, 14:14
I pretty happy with this one, except the score card sticking out of the pocket. I didnt notice until a week after I took it. I find it really difficult to combine photography with my other hobbies, for me they both suffer.

conspiro agnew
11-29-16, 19:12
I'll play:

This is a photo I shot of one of the PJ's while out with them on a training mission. They were out on a CASEVAC exercise, with OPFOR, all using UTM rounds. I really dug the lighting, depth of field and composition of the photo, but the blue UTM mags drive me crazy! In a civilian setting or on commercial work, I would just alter the color and move on, but in the world of photojournalism, "manipulating" the photo like that is a big no-no.

https://c7.staticflickr.com/6/5798/31182132182_abc411e840_c.jpg

Stickman
11-29-16, 20:50
I'll play:

This is a photo I shot of one of the PJ's while out with them on a training mission. They were out on a CASEVAC exercise, with OPFOR, all using UTM rounds. I really dug the lighting, depth of field and composition of the photo, but the blue UTM mags drive me crazy! In a civilian setting or on commercial work, I would just alter the color and move on, but in the world of photojournalism, "manipulating" the photo like that is a big no-no.

https://c7.staticflickr.com/6/5798/31182132182_abc411e840_c.jpg

When you play journalist, you play by those rules. When you clock out, you play by commercial rules.

The blue mag isn't your fault, nor is him flying the flag on his chest backwards.

The change that I would have liked to have seen in it personally is in closer, and shooting wide angle from lower. I totally understand that isn't always an option when you are supposed to stay out of the way and play JAFO.

Stickman
11-29-16, 20:53
I pretty happy with this one, except the score card sticking out of the pocket. I didnt notice until a week after I took it. I find it really difficult to combine photography with my other hobbies, for me they both suffer.

The score card doesn't bother me in the least. The image is very good as it stands, though a higher shutter speed might have been nice. I would have also framed it differently so his forward hand wasn't chopped. However, it is still a very nice capture.

MAUSER202
11-30-16, 04:36
The score card doesn't bother me in the least. The image is very good as it stands, though a higher shutter speed might have been nice. I would have also framed it differently so his forward hand wasn't chopped. However, it is still a very nice capture.

Thanks. I have really enjoyed your photography on the forum, you have a great style and impeccable technique in your PP. I agree about the hand, the framing was tough. The camera was on a tripod with a friend hitting the cable release, with me as the subject. I shot more than a box of shells trying to get the right mix of blur in the shells and their position during ejection. The framing was better on a lot of the pics, but this one had the best mix of what I was wanting to capture. I would love to do it again with someone else shooting.
For the higher shutter speed, do you feel it would be a stronger image with the shells sharper?

El Pistolero
12-03-16, 21:20
I'll play. Here's my Noveske 14.5 Lo-Pro and Colt Rail Gun. I don't have much for a photography setup, so the best I can do is usually the concrete driveway for a background. I like that the lighting was cooperative enough and the background uncluttered for this to be one of the better gun pics I've taken. I also think I did a good job keeping the sling out of the way, using it to prop up both guns, and having it look natural. The sling also gives the rifle a 'complete' look, IMO. As far as what I don't like, well both guns are all black so there's nothing in particular to draw the eye except the Vickers sling but I suppose that isn't a photography problem.

https://i.imgur.com/OfZVVsO.jpg

ETA: I should also share this. This is a Star Model BM 9mm pistol I had a few years ago. This has always been one of my favorite pictures, though it may be for sentimental reasons because I was extremely fond of this pistol and unfortunately I only owned it for a couple months before it was stolen.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/Post4Free/StarBM_1_zps05fed9a5.jpg

gaijin
12-04-16, 07:56
I-phone on a deer hunt last week.

Miserable dusty and the Hot H2O heater shot craps at the ranch house.
Cold showers, hard H2O, soap don't work- f'ng grubby all week.
Gotta love it.

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b434/huntershooter/AR%2015/15d3c59f-aa15-4571-8c39-bf861949f03b_zpsvcgn47jz.jpg

dentron
12-04-16, 16:28

Gotta love it.

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b434/huntershooter/AR%2015/15d3c59f-aa15-4571-8c39-bf861949f03b_zpsvcgn47jz.jpg
I love hunting with ARs and I love the look of a dirty gun in the field.
Good pic man.

What is the square on the magwell? Doesn't affect the picture negatively, just curious.

gaijin
12-04-16, 16:32
Good eye.
It was a piece of masking tape with magic marker telling me which ammo this one is dialed in for.
I have enough ARs I can't remember which is dialed in with what......
It negatively affected the feel of the photo.

dentron
12-04-16, 16:33
Decided to take some more pictures of my new 12.5 on my way back from testing the new port size.

As suggested by Stickman, I didn't include other rifles / uppers.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161204/376c0a4eaaecc1878e4ede88d727abfa.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161204/a93b00589f15ef6baf4da3c43f0e09c3.jpg

dentron
12-04-16, 16:38
I also wanted to take some without the sling and with a magazine:
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161204/f31ad35a4666f0de3fdd47e25a5ecccf.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161204/bf2ab40d1a8176cadaab9a87c7ef1d31.jpg

Stickman
12-04-16, 17:19
I'll play. Here's my Noveske 14.5 Lo-Pro and Colt Rail Gun. I don't have much for a photography setup, so the best I can do is usually the concrete driveway for a background. I like that the lighting was cooperative enough and the background uncluttered for this to be one of the better gun pics I've taken. I also think I did a good job keeping the sling out of the way, using it to prop up both guns, and having it look natural. The sling also gives the rifle a 'complete' look, IMO. As far as what I don't like, well both guns are all black so there's nothing in particular to draw the eye except the Vickers sling but I suppose that isn't a photography problem.

https://i.imgur.com/OfZVVsO.jpg

ETA: I should also share this. This is a Star Model BM 9mm pistol I had a few years ago. This has always been one of my favorite pictures, though it may be for sentimental reasons because I was extremely fond of this pistol and unfortunately I only owned it for a couple months before it was stolen.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/Post4Free/StarBM_1_zps05fed9a5.jpg

Personally, I would have had both weapons facing the same way. With the 1911 up near the stock, the perspective would have worked better (to my eye). The lighting could have been a bit better, but it certainly isn't bad.

Try to remember that when you are setting up a picture, that everything in it becomes a "photography problem". When we are the ones doing the layout, we are the ones getting the credit or blame. It is slightly different when we are capturing events, but in a case like this it is all on us. I think the sling works in this example, and while it doesn't add much, it is a nice plus. In that same vein, the shadowing in the upper right adds nothing, and only detracts from the image.

Overall, this is a good pic.

Stickman
12-04-16, 17:21

Gotta love it.

It is a quick snapshot that tells a nice story, I like it. I would have liked to have seen a little less perspective, and to have the weapon shown a bit more direct instead of looking down on it, but not a big deal.

Stickman
12-04-16, 17:23
Decided to take some more pictures of my new 12.5 on my way back from testing the new port size.

As suggested by Stickman, I didn't include other rifles / uppers.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161204/376c0a4eaaecc1878e4ede88d727abfa.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161204/a93b00589f15ef6baf4da3c43f0e09c3.jpg

These are so much better than the last series I saw from you, that you should be slapped if you ever post anything which is of lesser quality. All four of these are quite the lookers, and qualify as legit, no BS, good looking shots. Nicely done, you do not suck even a little with this new evidence!

dentron
12-04-16, 17:48
These are so much better than the last series I saw from you, that you should be slapped if you ever post anything which is of lesser quality. All four of these are quite the lookers, and qualify as legit, no BS, good looking shots. Nicely done, you do not suck even a little with this new evidence!
Thank you for the compliments! I will try to avoid being slapped for future photos [emoji1] .

contax_shooter
12-04-16, 17:56
Unfortunately I didn't come across an epic deal on the new Sony RX100 MKV during Black Friday time frames so I'll stick to my iPhone until I cough up the cash for an old A7 setup to use some of my legacy lens. All details lost on various areas such as the magazine.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5633/30616352353_a971cf667d_b.jpg

El Pistolero
12-05-16, 01:00
Personally, I would have had both weapons facing the same way. With the 1911 up near the stock, the perspective would have worked better (to my eye). The lighting could have been a bit better, but it certainly isn't bad.

Try to remember that when you are setting up a picture, that everything in it becomes a "photography problem". When we are the ones doing the layout, we are the ones getting the credit or blame. It is slightly different when we are capturing events, but in a case like this it is all on us. I think the sling works in this example, and while it doesn't add much, it is a nice plus. In that same vein, the shadowing in the upper right adds nothing, and only detracts from the image.

Overall, this is a good pic.

Thanks for the kind words, I'll keep everything you said in mind next time I do some gun pics.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
12-05-16, 01:15
Took this without flash in my garage the other night using my old Nikon DSLR. I think it came out really well, but my camera does not take very clear photos without the flash anymore. What do you think Stick?

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/924/XC5Fet.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/poXC5Fetj)

conspiro agnew
12-06-16, 18:00
When you play journalist, you play by those rules. When you clock out, you play by commercial rules.

The blue mag isn't your fault, nor is him flying the flag on his chest backwards.

The change that I would have liked to have seen in it personally is in closer, and shooting wide angle from lower. I totally understand that isn't always an option when you are supposed to stay out of the way and play JAFO.

JAFO - Story of my life. :p Thanks for the feedback, sir.

Here's one I shot of my wife's SBR:

https://c8.staticflickr.com/6/5753/21902774935_e094fa7439_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/zntrUB)

What I like: the rifle itself, having built it for her (cut down a DD M4A1 FSP RIS II rail to make a "roll your own" MK18 FSP rail) and I like the way the rattle can job came out as well. I like the rifle isolated against the white, though obviously this is nothing new by any means, so it's not really original or anything.

What I don't like: need something better for the background than throwing down a white sheet, and should have brought more lighting home with me when I wanted to shoot this, because I had to edit out some shadows in the sheets, though there are still traces of them. Fill lights would have made it a better lit image, and I can only attribute that to me being lazy and not bringing my full kit home with me when I decided I wanted to shoot a couple of photos of this project.

dentron
12-06-16, 19:58
JAFO - Story of my life. [emoji14] Thanks for the feedback, sir.

https://c8.staticflickr.com/6/5753/21902774935_e094fa7439_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/zntrUB)

What I like: the rifle itself, having built it for her (cut down a DD M4A1 FSP RIS II rail to make a "roll your own" MK18 FSP rail) and I like the way the rattle can job came out as well. I like the rifle isolated against the white, though obviously this is nothing new by any means, so it's not really original or anything.

What I don't like: need something better for the background than throwing down a white sheet, and should have brought more lighting home with me when I wanted to shoot this, because I had to edit out some shadows in the sheets, though there are still traces of them. Fill lights would have made it a better lit image, and I can only attribute that to me being lazy and not bringing my full kit home with me when I decided I wanted to shoot a couple of photos of this project.
That is one sweet rig there

Stickman
12-08-16, 00:49
Took this without flash in my garage the other night using my old Nikon DSLR. I think it came out really well, but my camera does not take very clear photos without the flash anymore. What do you think Stick?

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/924/XC5Fet.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/poXC5Fetj)

The leaves aren't adding anything to the image, and the dark mags blend with the forearm. The picture itself isn't bad, but a change in layout would make it much better.

Stickman
12-08-16, 00:51
JAFO - Story of my life. :p Thanks for the feedback, sir.

I agree with your assessment, but the wide angle distortion is much more offensive to my eye. Since that can be considered artistic whimsy, I'll consider it a personal slant of mine.

Nice job with both chopping the rail, and with the camo. :)

BrigandTwoFour
12-11-16, 23:42
I've been using this one as a banner for a while. Nikon D3000 a few years ago. It's not a full firearm, but I guess it kinda fits here. The things I like are the overall cropping to focus on the scope adjustments and the texture found on the shemagh. Since there isn't much to show in the picture, given its purpose as a banner to run across the top of a blog, I can't really find anything I dislike about this one.

https://everydaymarksman.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/cropped-dsc_0175-e1404686324558.jpg

kyle.t.richard
12-12-16, 16:06
I took this picture today after the snow and rain had stopped. I was looking at all the pictures in here and just wanted to see how something simple would come out with just my phone. And this is what I have my M1 garand with the rock wall and snow as a background. Think it suits the rifle pretty well. Only thing I may have done different for myself is not so straight on. But let me know what you think.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

fledge
12-20-16, 18:18
Took this pic to show off the specific design and color elements of the rifle. Used depth of field to blur the distant background. Wood siding for warm,rustic contrast to the metallic features on rifle. Taken with iPhone 7.

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b556/fledge2000/V%20Seven/173B28A1-05A4-4D67-8A85-F86C7A76BA09_zps34haesh1.jpg (http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/fledge2000/media/V%20Seven/173B28A1-05A4-4D67-8A85-F86C7A76BA09_zps34haesh1.jpg.html)

tb-av
12-20-16, 19:22
I think you should increase your DOF at least to the end of muzzle. It kinda looks like it's being stuck under water or into some force field or something. Try to make the hand guard go out of focus the same way the receiver tube does. The warm light on the wood siding actually works, for me anyway, but it would be nice to see it all the way out.

Is your castle nut staked? It looks like it's not.

fledge
12-20-16, 19:40
Thanks, tb-av. The DOF is in beta for the iPhone so they only give you one setting (that I could find).

Now I see the watery force field.

bubba04
12-20-16, 21:17
takin with Nikon d90

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l357/jbg04/286_zps8b265b09.jpg (http://s328.photobucket.com/user/jbg04/media/286_zps8b265b09.jpg.html)

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l357/jbg04/275_zpsa286b9ec.jpg (http://s328.photobucket.com/user/jbg04/media/275_zpsa286b9ec.jpg.html)

AZ-Renegade
12-21-16, 10:22
http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad54/az-renegade/EC11C0CC-79AE-45C4-81EF-C49CD5FAF171.jpg

I took this one to show off the CMR upgrade to my SBR. In retrospect I should probably sweep off the concrete beforehand, and start using my Canon 70D instead of my iPhone.

WS6
12-21-16, 10:53
This picture just really appeals to me. I am sure there are technical reasons (or maybe it actually sucks?), but to MY eyes, it looks like a good photo of a muzzle device I got in the mail a while back, with a mixed "soft focus" background that I find appealing.
http://i64.tinypic.com/2d945xs.jpg

Stickman
12-24-16, 14:10
I've been using this one as a banner for a while. Nikon D3000 a few years ago. It's not a full firearm, but I guess it kinda fits here. The things I like are the overall cropping to focus on the scope adjustments and the texture found on the shemagh. Since there isn't much to show in the picture, given its purpose as a banner to run across the top of a blog, I can't really find anything I dislike about this one.

https://everydaymarksman.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/cropped-dsc_0175-e1404686324558.jpg

It has a nice soft feel to it, and that can be a good thing. Not everything needs to be harsh and ultra contrasty.

Stickman
12-24-16, 14:11
I took this picture today after the snow and rain had stopped. I was looking at all the pictures in here and just wanted to see how something simple would come out with just my phone. And this is what I have my M1 garand with the rock wall and snow as a background. Think it suits the rifle pretty well. Only thing I may have done different for myself is not so straight on. But let me know what you think.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

On a calibrated monitor it is a little underexposed, but I like the background and like the "straight on" look to showcase the weapon.

Stickman
12-24-16, 14:13
Took this pic to show off the specific design and color elements of the rifle. Used depth of field to blur the distant background. Wood siding for warm,rustic contrast to the metallic features on rifle. Taken with iPhone 7.

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b556/fledge2000/V%20Seven/173B28A1-05A4-4D67-8A85-F86C7A76BA09_zps34haesh1.jpg (http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/fledge2000/media/V%20Seven/173B28A1-05A4-4D67-8A85-F86C7A76BA09_zps34haesh1.jpg.html)

With that lighting, I would have face the weapon a different direction so the detail would be shown even better. The DOF (Depth Of Field) looks forced, but that makes sense if it is from an iPhone.

Stickman
12-24-16, 14:14
This picture just really appeals to me. I am sure there are technical reasons (or maybe it actually sucks?), but to MY eyes, it looks like a good photo of a muzzle device I got in the mail a while back, with a mixed "soft focus" background that I find appealing.
http://i64.tinypic.com/2d945xs.jpg

It is a snapshot of a muzzle device in a hand, with a vehicle interior background. I'm not sure there is much more than that going on. It shows off the Surefire fine.

Stickman
12-24-16, 14:16
takin with Nikon d90

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l357/jbg04/286_zps8b265b09.jpg (http://s328.photobucket.com/user/jbg04/media/286_zps8b265b09.jpg.html)

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l357/jbg04/275_zpsa286b9ec.jpg (http://s328.photobucket.com/user/jbg04/media/275_zpsa286b9ec.jpg.html)

I don't know what you were looking for with these pictures, but I'm not finding it. A different background and different lighting would have done a lot of the layout of these shots.

Stickman
12-24-16, 14:17
http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad54/az-renegade/EC11C0CC-79AE-45C4-81EF-C49CD5FAF171.jpg

I took this one to show off the CMR upgrade to my SBR. In retrospect I should probably sweep off the concrete beforehand, and start using my Canon 70D instead of my iPhone.

Good looking shot! Next time, try turning the light on, and watch what sort of difference it makes.

AZ-Renegade
12-24-16, 16:17
Good looking shot! Next time, try turning the light on, and watch what sort of difference it makes.

Thanks! I will try it with the light on, once I remount it. The Magpul M-LOK machine screws I have are too long for the CMR with a standard profile barrel, so its off the gun until I can hit up a hardware store for shorter screws.

1toughdog
12-25-16, 11:32
Error, image would cross.

1toughdog
12-25-16, 11:35
New to me 1974 Colt Python, neighbor had it - I chased it for four years before he decided to sell it to me. Pros, it's a nice Python on a much weathered, unfinished cut-off, shot with a Cannon G10 on a cloudy day, cylinder is open. Pros: it's a lightly used Python and I really like the wood slab. Cons: smudge around the cylinder lock and below the plate line! Maybe too tight of an image. Shame on me.

WS6
12-25-16, 17:44
It is a snapshot of a muzzle device in a hand, with a vehicle interior background. I'm not sure there is much more than that going on. It shows off the Surefire fine.

Thanks. I achieved my goal with that photo. It's purpose was my Facebook feed to show off the surefire.

2000xjclassic
12-29-16, 12:56
This was a quick shot with my Samsung S5 to show what I was doing that day. It was the first time I had shot this rifle, my first build, at more than 50 yards.
I generally like how it turned out, especially the black rifle against the mostly tan range and wall.
I wish that the blue port-a-john wasnt there, its a little distracting and I wish that I had a less cheap looking sling on the rifle.

http://i.imgur.com/vkpXepq.jpg

silvery37
01-04-17, 13:14
43203I hope it's ok to use a firearm related pic with no gun in it. I got a canon 7d a few months ago and have been having fun with it. I am slowly getting a little better. Unfortunately my computer is so old it wont run any photo editing software. So I do everything on my phone. I use snapseed and it works pretty well for me. With my skills a better computer based software wouldnt add much right now anyway. For this picture I used a tupperware container and lined it with a black under armor t shirt and then filled it with some 9mm gold dots. A couple of the bullets are a little outside of the depth of field.

Stickman
01-18-17, 15:02
43203I hope it's ok to use a firearm related pic with no gun in it. I got a canon 7d a few months ago and have been having fun with it. I am slowly getting a little better. Unfortunately my computer is so old it wont run any photo editing software. So I do everything on my phone. I use snapseed and it works pretty well for me. With my skills a better computer based software wouldnt add much right now anyway. For this picture I used a tupperware container and lined it with a black under armor t shirt and then filled it with some 9mm gold dots. A couple of the bullets are a little outside of the depth of field.

I think it works very nicely. :smile:

Stickman
01-18-17, 15:03
This was a quick shot with my Samsung S5 to show what I was doing that day. It was the first time I had shot this rifle, my first build, at more than 50 yards.
I generally like how it turned out, especially the black rifle against the mostly tan range and wall.
I wish that the blue port-a-john wasnt there, its a little distracting and I wish that I had a less cheap looking sling on the rifle.

http://i.imgur.com/vkpXepq.jpg

Very nice, while the background is a little distracting there isn't much you can do about that. The presentation and weapon position is excellent.

Freakdaddy
02-05-17, 15:03
I took this about four years ago with a Sony DCS-H7 camera and some clamp on shop lights with 6500k bulbs. I had just started getting a grasp on lighting and such so considering what I was using, it didn't turn out too bad. I was limited on the size of my backdrop so I had to go with a rather tight crop on it. I would like to revisit it now as I have a Canon 70D with nicer glass along with lighting more geared toward photography but just haven't really set the time aside to do it.

These are some of my paternal grandfather's items; a 1920 Remington Model 11 with a Bishop stock, his cleaning rod along with his pocket book and watch with the watch chain actually being made by my great-grandfather as he was a jeweler. The picture is of my granddad taken in 1898 when he was 18 years old.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/746/32731303075_1ccdcc3082_b.jpg

Stickman
02-06-17, 19:20
I took this about four years ago with a Sony DCS-H7 camera and some clamp on shop lights with 6500k bulbs. I had just started getting a grasp on lighting and such so considering what I was using, it didn't turn out too bad. I was limited on the size of my backdrop so I had to go with a rather tight crop on it. I would like to revisit it now as I have a Canon 70D with nicer glass along with lighting more geared toward photography but just haven't really set the time aside to do it.

These are some of my paternal grandfather's items; a 1920 Remington Model 11 with a Bishop stock, his cleaning rod along with his pocket book and watch with the watch chain actually being made by my great-grandfather as he was a jeweler. The picture is of my granddad taken in 1898 when he was 18 years old.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/746/32731303075_1ccdcc3082_b.jpg

I think this is extremely nice. Placement of items is well done, and that can become difficult when you have a pile of things to add in the shot. The paper shells go perfectly with the warmth and texture of the wood. This is one of the better pictures I have seen in this style.

Circle_10
02-07-17, 09:32
Pic taken while out for a stroll on a frozen beaver pond with my "beater carbine".

Likes: I think the image is kinda cool on the whole. I've always liked exploring the location I took the pic at, it has some childhood significance.
Dislikes: The AR is more heavily shadowed than I would have liked...but on the other hand it also kind of works, the way it blends with the dead tree and the shadows, so I guess I'm undecided on it.
The pic looks much better on my phone for some reason, sharper and more vibrant.
Nitpickery that matters only to me: I wish I had a 20 rounder in the gun, and when I'm carting it around in the woods or vehicle, usually I do, but about an hour before I took this pic I had shot the contents of my only loaded 20 I had on hand.

http://i.imgur.com/FlZchUY.jpg?1

Freakdaddy
02-07-17, 10:21
I think this is extremely nice. Placement of items is well done, and that can become difficult when you have a pile of things to add in the shot. The paper shells go perfectly with the warmth and texture of the wood. This is one of the better pictures I have seen in this style.

Thanks, Stick as it's greatly appreciated!

Freakdaddy
02-08-17, 20:52
Overall, I was pleased with the way this one turned out. Changes I would make now would be to turn the magazine around the top bullet would be facing the camera. At the time, I was torn with having it that way or having it so you could see the KimPro Tac-Mag lettering as I wanted the bumper grip to still be facing the pistol grip. I opted for the latter obviously and I don't think that was the better option now. I'd also would have straightened the magazine so it wasn't at an angle; carelessness on my part and I should always take advantage of the grid offered in camera when shooting these shots. I'm still not sure on the crop with removing part of the holster and mag carrier in order to eliminate dead space. Part of me says I probably should have repositioned them to show them in their fullness without creating the extra unnecessary space; the other part says it is more artistic and it maintains focus on the true subject matter which is the pistol.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8466/8143245906_f7f85a899d_b.jpg

The orange background washes out the ammunition, and blends with the leather. I can't help but wonder how much nicer this image would have been with a darker background. It also looks like this is a crop from an original image.

The image is pretty decent, but a little more fill light via reflector cards, and a more even lighting on the slide would tweak and bring this up a few notches. Overall, it is good, and is a million times better than the fake background images we are stuck with in a lot of magazines.

Stickman
02-09-17, 12:30
Pic taken while out for a stroll on a frozen beaver pond with my "beater carbine".

Likes: I think the image is kinda cool on the whole. I've always liked exploring the location I took the pic at, it has some childhood significance.
Dislikes: The AR is more heavily shadowed than I would have liked...but on the other hand it also kind of works, the way it blends with the dead tree and the shadows, so I guess I'm undecided on it.
The pic looks much better on my phone for some reason, sharper and more vibrant.
Nitpickery that matters only to me: I wish I had a 20 rounder in the gun, and when I'm carting it around in the woods or vehicle, usually I do, but about an hour before I took this pic I had shot the contents of my only loaded 20 I had on hand.

http://i.imgur.com/FlZchUY.jpg?1

This one has potential, but falls flat for a few reasons. The weapon isn't quite dark enough to be a silhouette, but not clean enough to show detail, so it just become murky. The sticks/ branches appear to poke out of the weapon, and in general the images looks underexposed (which it probably is due to the snow in the pic).

I would guess that if you adjusted the exposure up 3/4 of a stop, it would look more like it does on your phone, and would be a good looking shot.

Circle_10
02-09-17, 18:56
This one has potential, but falls flat for a few reasons. The weapon isn't quite dark enough to be a silhouette, but not clean enough to show detail, so it just become murky. The sticks/ branches appear to poke out of the weapon, and in general the images looks underexposed (which it probably is due to the snow in the pic).

I would guess that if you adjusted the exposure up 3/4 of a stop, it would look more like it does on your phone, and would be a good looking shot.

I think you very effectively put into words the reasons for my sort mixed feelings on the pic. It straddles an uncomfortable middle ground. I think I like the concept more than the actual result. I may give the idea another try at some point. I like taking winter gun pics seeing as how winter is such a part of where I live...we're getting buffeted by the tail end of a nor'easter as I type this.

Freakdaddy
02-12-17, 21:39
A quick shot I took of my .300 Win Mag Browning A-Bolt and I feel I should have taken more time to get the lighting better positioned especially on the barrel.
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5631/22836335168_2bd964c626_b.jpg

Stickman
02-17-17, 22:43
A quick shot I took of my .300 Win Mag Browning A-Bolt and I feel I should have taken more time to get the lighting better positioned especially on the barrel.
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5631/22836335168_2bd964c626_b.jpg

With the bright white target, the eye focuses there, instead of on the weapon. You may have a little too much packed into the picture.

mrcarbine
02-17-17, 23:49

i am a 1911 guy too. for an inexpensive Kodak pocket digital camera, it is quite a nice pics. the cloud brought out the fine finish so it was nice.

Talon167
02-18-17, 15:46
Here's a go at my current training machines... P30L V1 and DD MK18.

Taken with my Evolt 520 in RAW on a cloudy day on a wet ground. I think the clouds added a little to the feng shui and helped everything come out a little.... darker, and I mean that in a more figurative sense.

Anyway:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d135/Talnz167/Cannons/CC_CET1_HET1_VET1/PA268296_RAW_zpsq3sqgrpm.jpg

Stickman
02-20-17, 19:32
Here's a go at my current training machines... P30L V1 and DD MK18.

Taken with my Evolt 520 in RAW on a cloudy day on a wet ground. I think the clouds added a little to the feng shui and helped everything come out a little.... darker, and I mean that in a more figurative sense.

Anyway:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d135/Talnz167/Cannons/CC_CET1_HET1_VET1/PA268296_RAW_zpsq3sqgrpm.jpg

It shows great wear and texture, I wish it would have been just the pistol without the AR distraction.

MistWolf
02-27-17, 14:38
This is a recent photo of my AR pistol I call "Wolf Pup". I shot the photo to show off the AR with Omega silencer that was recently released from quarantine. I was looking for an interesting and informative photo.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/Lil%20Wolf%20Pup/Silent%20Wolf_zpssvjbckoe.jpg

The photo was shot with my wife's Nikon D3100 and AS-S Nikkor 18-55mm lens using auto setting and auto focus. It was taken outside under heavy cloud cover and the camera was handheld. No flash or other additional lighting. It was tweaked in whatever photo software came with my Dell computer.

I like the angle of the AR and the woodpile background. But the AR doesn't pop like I'd like it to and it isn't sharp. Stick, I'd like to improve my photography, so be honest. What did I do right, what did I do wrong? Beat me with a clue-by-four.

Thanks

Stickman
02-28-17, 18:48
This is a recent photo of my AR pistol I call "Wolf Pup". I shot the photo to show off the AR with Omega silencer that was recently released from quarantine. I was looking for an interesting and informative photo.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/Lil%20Wolf%20Pup/Silent%20Wolf_zpssvjbckoe.jpg

The photo was shot with my wife's Nikon D3100 and AS-S Nikkor 18-55mm lens using auto setting and auto focus. It was taken outside under heavy cloud cover and the camera was handheld. No flash or other additional lighting. It was tweaked in whatever photo software came with my Dell computer.

I like the angle of the AR and the woodpile background. But the AR doesn't pop like I'd like it to and it isn't sharp. Stick, I'd like to improve my photography, so be honest. What did I do right, what did I do wrong? Beat me with a clue-by-four.

Thanks

Take a look at the below picture that I shot, notice that it is head on flat and even, and not angled facing towards me by way of the muzzle or stock (though I've shot plenty that way as well). This style of picture is the easiest to take typically. While you can shoot from angles, you need to pay a lot more attention to your lighting.

In the case of beautiful cloud cover, you are still working with the basic principle of angle of incident equals angle of reflection.... which means when we condense it down, this shot would have looked good shot with the weapon flat towards us with you taking the pic from the same position.

When using a monitor which is calibrated, your image is underexposed a tad as well, probably by a half a stop.

https://68.media.tumblr.com/29f387fd50edf966e3adb13a8539ad04/tumblr_om41ofdUTA1rrcg2fo1_1280.jpg

NeverBeLost
03-07-17, 12:07
Missed the focus just a little on the first one, but first real attempt at shooting firearms (ha) so I won't let it bug me too much

battlestage
03-12-17, 13:03
I'm new to photography and these are just a couple quick pics taken this morning to use to dabble in Lightroom a bit. The only real purpose was to get practice but to have a good shot of the new rifle case.
http://i.imgur.com/Cw3SJ1kh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/VxmmfK4h.jpg

Stickman
03-13-17, 17:14
Missed the focus just a little on the first one, but first real attempt at shooting firearms (ha) so I won't let it bug me too much

Exposure is off based on the snow background, and the items are dead center which doesn't help. The thought is good on the first one.

Stickman
03-13-17, 17:16
I'm new to photography and these are just a couple quick pics taken this morning to use to dabble in Lightroom a bit. The only real purpose was to get practice but to have a good shot of the new rifle case.
http://i.imgur.com/Cw3SJ1kh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/VxmmfK4h.jpg

Generic snap shots, but nothing wrong with that.

WS6
04-04-17, 23:22
http://i66.tinypic.com/9t1em9.jpg

I like this photo because I'm just now learning how to use rudimentary editing, and I have always thought black and white photos were classy, which jives with Hodge's marketing schema, as well. I tried to emulate a 1960's era black and white photo, slightly over-exposed to highlight the markings on the lower. It shows of/highlights the minimalist/KISS approach I took with this carbine.

In this photo:

Hodge Defense MOD 2 14.5" (serial # sterilized via photo editing), Vltor A5 Buffer System, Larue MB2S Trigger, Haley Strategic Sling, Magpul MOE SL-S Stock, Surefire M300 300 Lumen mounted with MAGPUL Polymer Mount, MOE K2 Grip, MOE RVG, MLOK, Magpul MBUS PRO F/R Sight, PMAG, Surefire Closed Tine Warcomp w/Surefire SOCOM 556 MINI mounted, V7 Ambi Ti/7075 Safety, in 90* configuration, V7 Ti takedown pins, Magpul MLOK Sling Mount, Noveske QD Endplate, V7 Ti Castle Nut.

Stickman
04-05-17, 00:11
http://i66.tinypic.com/9t1em9.jpg

I like this photo because I'm just now learning how to use rudimentary editing, and I have always thought black and white photos were classy, which jives with Hodge's marketing schema, as well. I tried to emulate a 1960's era black and white photo, slightly over-exposed to highlight the markings on the lower. It shows of/highlights the minimalist/KISS approach I took with this carbine.

In this photo:

Hodge Defense MOD 2 14.5" (serial # sterilized via photo editing), Vltor A5 Buffer System, Larue MB2S Trigger, Haley Strategic Sling, Magpul MOE SL-S Stock, Surefire M300 300 Lumen mounted with MAGPUL Polymer Mount, MOE K2 Grip, MOE RVG, MLOK, Magpul MBUS PRO F/R Sight, PMAG, Surefire Closed Tine Warcomp w/Surefire SOCOM 556 MINI mounted, V7 Ambi Ti/7075 Safety, in 90* configuration, V7 Ti takedown pins, Magpul MLOK Sling Mount, Noveske QD Endplate, V7 Ti Castle Nut.

There isn't much question in my mind that you nailed it. The human eye goes directly to the Hodge logo, which is what I think you were going for. Job well done.

WS6
04-05-17, 00:12
There isn't much question in my mind that you nailed it. The human eye goes directly to the Hodge logo, which is what I think you were going for. Job well done.

Thanks! That was my goal.

LOBO
04-21-17, 15:14
Colts taken with my first digital camera (Kodak 5 mp from Walmart) that I got back in 2006.

Commander

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/LOBO2/1911s/MEWs%20Colt%20Commander%201911%20circa%201984%20on%20green_zpshvvz4bxj.jpg

Combat Elite

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/LOBO2/1911s/CCWs%20COLT%20COMBAT%20ELITE%20on%20green%20--%20001_zpsamkheew8.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/LOBO2/1911s/CCWs%20COLT%20COMBAT%20ELITE%20on%20marble%20top%2009-20-07%20--%20003_zpszuf9xbab.jpg

Smith & Wesson Victory model taken with Sony 18 mp

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/LOBO2/Victorys/CCWs%20Smith%20amp%20Wesson%20Victory%20model%20U.S.%20Navy%20amp%20Civil%20Defense%20marked%2011-7-2011%20010_zpsqcjttfkw.png

PattonWasRight
04-21-17, 15:40
^^^ What's etched/written on the side of your Victory?

I like the closeup of the barrel & slide ... a unique visual.

LOBO
04-21-17, 16:37
^^^ What's etched/written on the side of your Victory?

I like the closeup of the barrel & slide ... a unique visual.

Civil Defense is etched on the side of the Victory model. It's a cool gun with history. One of my other passions is collecting S&W revolvers with a focus on Pre-Victory & Victory models.

JulyAZ
05-10-17, 23:33
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170511/a09388771a7b1f8e37168090845dc744.jpg

Just going for something clean.

PattonWasRight
05-11-17, 08:20
Civil Defense is etched on the side of the Victory model. It's a cool gun with history. One of my other passions is collecting S&W revolvers with a focus on Pre-Victory & Victory models. Nice! I'm def a sucker for old Smiths, but only have a couple. I would like to find a Victory model.

PattonWasRight
05-11-17, 08:23

Just going for something clean. Looks like you did some "battle worn" / camo painting there with the accessories mounted in place first? From what I can see, looks good ... more full / focused pic may do it more justice.

Voodoo_Man
05-11-17, 08:33

Focus looks like it is right around the mount for the flashlight. Rest of the photo is pretty fuzzy.

Did you take this outside, while holding the camera?

Up the f/, shutter speed to about 1-2 seconds and it'll give you greater focus.

LOBO
05-11-17, 11:34
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/LOBO2/CCWs%20Glock%2019%20with%20Damato%20Custom%20Stippling%202017%2003-10%20--%20002%204%20resize_zpsme9ymudm.jpg

Stickman
05-11-17, 12:23

The last thing I think of with the pic is "clean". Grunge comes to mind (in an artistic way, not junky way). I'm certainly not opposed to the picture at all, even though most of it is not in focus.

Stickman
05-11-17, 12:24
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/LOBO2/CCWs%20Glock%2019%20with%20Damato%20Custom%20Stippling%202017%2003-10%20--%20002%204%20resize_zpsme9ymudm.jpg

Simple, clean, and good lighting.

LOBO
05-12-17, 12:30
Simple, clean, and good lighting.

Thanks Stick!

wct097
05-26-17, 08:02
I took a couple pictures when I finally got around to ordering the 12.5" 'kino' upper for my PSA build. The intent was to show a few friends the new 12.5" 5.56 build alongside the older 8.2" suppressed 300BLK build. A "cheap" and "expensive" build side-by-side. I took them outside at my old place to get better lighting after I kept getting shadows inside. Not being a photog, but being a big fan of gun porn on the various gun forums, I was very pleased with the outcome. For some reason, that crappy worn out deck that the new owners were quick to replace appeals to me as a backdrop.

http://wct097.com/wt/guns/sbr/psa/sbrs_left.JPG
http://wct097.com/wt/guns/sbr/psa/sbrs_right.JPG

They would probably look even better with some editing and if I actually knew what I was doing with the camera.

Stickman
05-27-17, 21:28
I took a couple pictures when I finally got around to ordering the 12.5" 'kino' upper for my PSA build. The intent was to show a few friends the new 12.5" 5.56 build alongside the older 8.2" suppressed 300BLK build. A "cheap" and "expensive" build side-by-side. I took them outside at my old place to get better lighting after I kept getting shadows inside. Not being a photog, but being a big fan of gun porn on the various gun forums, I was very pleased with the outcome. For some reason, that crappy worn out deck that the new owners were quick to replace appeals to me as a backdrop.

http://wct097.com/wt/guns/sbr/psa/sbrs_left.JPG
http://wct097.com/wt/guns/sbr/psa/sbrs_right.JPG

They would probably look even better with some editing and if I actually knew what I was doing with the camera.

The blacks are off and the angle of the shot is off a tad as well, but the overall feel of the picture is good. In general, I think this works nicely.

BrigandTwoFour
05-29-17, 16:33
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/faOvgp95__d1VAPEfjpLh2yxURMDXWeHLYWy68ae1lofQ1pAB7ykMPH9DqREQlcqgRAmU7PJjvrst9NApsDM33-pOeWUcyXZGL74b8yHcAQtbgutcZtKS3CtM3jFSedndMWFcMHFFCY7awt4MXGvV1ps5SCSLmrioi86w0RcA3LLobVUOJ6u-p3gu7_HGIRdW06cb0hUI2_ShmSO_mDvonjVl8LJLvrUYmgSjwDHStDQbWIeiMKkP4925sx0NDxMfvC6b5idJxww6puNTnkQsY-ErdiW8o-Xzf2ZzMRHD51H-AQ1wplvXFpM4oIECl24he2XPRTAPzovDNB-ym3QMmR9F9-FImLyCEL_iXGTe2gdKu77dqV4F22XMeWxUU21N2ghDKoi4WxMAgzZj4SL6U0pCF3qBIz_Am6pFrljQTtYCOK7AKZTHpO8J6_pa24PTd47QG5SbvdJqHlVcIDA1dMO38_f5ocSHptTt2wvG3198Xh2Fvh39_UwQ1KHUm2-A18JkpHeeQoXSSpQ-xvSIplCQv37lALd2AyqB2wjMGQ81TP3Ki1TwC7FN7ur1-0VzstZGbHLvqgGG7cceGJJ9BKXP6KOTl72WI1Wo1siGt0xry8biadS=w1055-h792-no

Rather standard B&W photo. I've gotten more hesitate to do the "cluster of gear" shots because they end up not really having a focus for the photo, just a bunch of "cool stuff" thrown together. For this one, I think the rather harsh lighting ended up emphasizing the white stripes on the flag patch, which draws the eye there rather than the rifle, but I think it still tells a kind of story. In hindsight, the mag leaning against the scope is kinda dumb.

Stickman
05-29-17, 23:46
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/faOvgp95__d1VAPEfjpLh2yxURMDXWeHLYWy68ae1lofQ1pAB7ykMPH9DqREQlcqgRAmU7PJjvrst9NApsDM33-pOeWUcyXZGL74b8yHcAQtbgutcZtKS3CtM3jFSedndMWFcMHFFCY7awt4MXGvV1ps5SCSLmrioi86w0RcA3LLobVUOJ6u-p3gu7_HGIRdW06cb0hUI2_ShmSO_mDvonjVl8LJLvrUYmgSjwDHStDQbWIeiMKkP4925sx0NDxMfvC6b5idJxww6puNTnkQsY-ErdiW8o-Xzf2ZzMRHD51H-AQ1wplvXFpM4oIECl24he2XPRTAPzovDNB-ym3QMmR9F9-FImLyCEL_iXGTe2gdKu77dqV4F22XMeWxUU21N2ghDKoi4WxMAgzZj4SL6U0pCF3qBIz_Am6pFrljQTtYCOK7AKZTHpO8J6_pa24PTd47QG5SbvdJqHlVcIDA1dMO38_f5ocSHptTt2wvG3198Xh2Fvh39_UwQ1KHUm2-A18JkpHeeQoXSSpQ-xvSIplCQv37lALd2AyqB2wjMGQ81TP3Ki1TwC7FN7ur1-0VzstZGbHLvqgGG7cceGJJ9BKXP6KOTl72WI1Wo1siGt0xry8biadS=w1055-h792-no

Rather standard B&W photo. I've gotten more hesitate to do the "cluster of gear" shots because they end up not really having a focus for the photo, just a bunch of "cool stuff" thrown together. For this one, I think the rather harsh lighting ended up emphasizing the white stripes on the flag patch, which draws the eye there rather than the rifle, but I think it still tells a kind of story. In hindsight, the mag leaning against the scope is kinda dumb.

I agree. There is no point in the extra mag, but the eye goes right to the flag, and that is never a bad thing.

TunaFisherman
05-30-17, 23:19

TunaFisherman
05-30-17, 23:58

Vegas
05-31-17, 01:37
I like the focus on this one but it could have used some more light. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170531/b015d202bc14c919076ab6fc79c82658.jpg

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Stickman
05-31-17, 13:44
I like the focus on this one but it could have used some more light. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170531/b015d202bc14c919076ab6fc79c82658.jpg

This is quite good. My main thoughts on this one are to not be afraid of negative space in your images.

muzzlebraker453
05-31-17, 16:51
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u117/halibuthunter05/IMG_9613_zpsdmj8rewp.jpg (http://s166.photobucket.com/user/halibuthunter05/media/IMG_9613_zpsdmj8rewp.jpg.html)

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u117/halibuthunter05/Camo%20paint/IMG_9611_zpsp3o5ybtc.jpg (http://s166.photobucket.com/user/halibuthunter05/media/Camo%20paint/IMG_9611_zpsp3o5ybtc.jpg.html)

Very nice and nice holster.

calengor
05-31-17, 21:13
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/W5FxS70Uby-t6uUB0iSVK_0eOfngBdxnMCdTHy7xOIDv48Y5SOR7-xMOY0jdoGONnxEAt8qwkf6270FCCcgq3pwV7HqtL9Xv3VscatyChWJnG9seu0Lxcce0_xo16uz60h1L3KYdYv9fikpuKq_TfwD6nsRUwvAhLExty1rb2lCAsMIPri-YqOY27k5Qtmbqy65DjsqUwqhauwf5kxHjy_dUtAwyPjSCmjvaYVYfAyuEs5o3_tgc38RN42-tOuAeLLliCOW25jh2MDHeLMQ-27JIO55qJWnPBnCtjeSznU4liQT823FbnZFn-6Jh37Ty2m3lIt4dpM7HwnzSjShWsWweDy9MU4fBlxORbDrOgTVqKu4JENrst5y9BvTqjRcjxInX3l3t39abvRPh-kDa7niiYBbj3sn6UKpq9cvD8-fAXxErpG10dF2BFiA6YS2shqsub-qRwomHu4xf6KRjKzEtDK9fhPv_vikTPtSty8wuN-p61OYak0ykFX6ZzYMLUt_g0Yvr_Qh1jDFHu1KrzrDwRS4oM-JzcXz12ipVC9osvdt64BucnI7YOgYCjHlc9UcD-D23hgEFK6DY5QF-xbJFYsj6umyInOYzH3D9rxjVXlIcL3KLoA=w2552-h1276-no?.jpg

Photo I took at a pistol class given by a local shop about 4 years ago now. I photographed this class as a way to get more accustomed to photographing people and capturing a story (I photographed a carbine class as well). Some may recognize AJ's arm from some BCM marketing photos. In this shot I was trying to capture action while AJ was demonstrating a drill.

Looking at it today I think the crop might be a bit off, I'm not sure if cutting off his back was the best possible edit. I do like the two casings in the air and the slide mid-action, though.

TunaFisherman
05-31-17, 21:52
Calengor

I agree. Little less crop. I like the casings and pistol movement, maybe change the crop , zoom in a little more so you see the pistol motion captured?

TunaFisherman
05-31-17, 22:03

LOBO
05-31-17, 23:04
Combat Elite Enhanced...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/LOBO2/c70cf5c6-c326-4895-987a-7f9313a4ab6f_zps2e2b87a3.jpg

BrigandTwoFour
07-16-17, 20:56
Snapped today while getting pictures of the new UBR 2.0 mounted on this rifle. I like the way Grey Ghost Precision did their roll marks.

https://everydaymarksman.files.wordpress.com/2017/07/p1010648.jpg

Stickman
07-16-17, 22:11
Snapped today while getting pictures of the new UBR 2.0 mounted on this rifle. I like the way Grey Ghost Precision did their roll marks.

https://everydaymarksman.files.wordpress.com/2017/07/p1010648.jpg

I've got a hard time falling in love with this one, even though I agree that the guys at GGP made a good looking logo. The lighting is uneven in the pic, and while that doesn't end its options, I think a dark background would have worked better. If this is your weapon, it is certainly worth shooting more pictures of.

Stickman
07-16-17, 22:12
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/W5FxS70Uby-t6uUB0iSVK_0eOfngBdxnMCdTHy7xOIDv48Y5SOR7-xMOY0jdoGONnxEAt8qwkf6270FCCcgq3pwV7HqtL9Xv3VscatyChWJnG9seu0Lxcce0_xo16uz60h1L3KYdYv9fikpuKq_TfwD6nsRUwvAhLExty1rb2lCAsMIPri-YqOY27k5Qtmbqy65DjsqUwqhauwf5kxHjy_dUtAwyPjSCmjvaYVYfAyuEs5o3_tgc38RN42-tOuAeLLliCOW25jh2MDHeLMQ-27JIO55qJWnPBnCtjeSznU4liQT823FbnZFn-6Jh37Ty2m3lIt4dpM7HwnzSjShWsWweDy9MU4fBlxORbDrOgTVqKu4JENrst5y9BvTqjRcjxInX3l3t39abvRPh-kDa7niiYBbj3sn6UKpq9cvD8-fAXxErpG10dF2BFiA6YS2shqsub-qRwomHu4xf6KRjKzEtDK9fhPv_vikTPtSty8wuN-p61OYak0ykFX6ZzYMLUt_g0Yvr_Qh1jDFHu1KrzrDwRS4oM-JzcXz12ipVC9osvdt64BucnI7YOgYCjHlc9UcD-D23hgEFK6DY5QF-xbJFYsj6umyInOYzH3D9rxjVXlIcL3KLoA=w2552-h1276-no?.jpg

Photo I took at a pistol class given by a local shop about 4 years ago now. I photographed this class as a way to get more accustomed to photographing people and capturing a story (I photographed a carbine class as well). Some may recognize AJ's arm from some BCM marketing photos. In this shot I was trying to capture action while AJ was demonstrating a drill.

Looking at it today I think the crop might be a bit off, I'm not sure if cutting off his back was the best possible edit. I do like the two casings in the air and the slide mid-action, though.

Great framing and crop for the picture, nicely done.

JulyAZ
07-17-17, 00:41
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170717/50f5b3bd073c48c362712ad6880915aa.jpg

I was trying to get a clean silhouette of the gun to make a sticker for my safe, I wasn't trying to get a good photo, but I think one did come out of my efforts.

Took the photo in my bathtub, just a little editing to get the clean looking background.

BrigandTwoFour
07-17-17, 07:38
I've got a hard time falling in love with this one, even though I agree that the guys at GGP made a good looking logo. The lighting is uneven in the pic, and while that doesn't end its options, I think a dark background would have worked better. If this is your weapon, it is certainly worth shooting more pictures of.

This one is indeed mine. I really need a better lighting setup, as this was pretty much two desk lamps with led bulbs set to the sides.

ChattanoogaPhil
08-31-17, 05:13
https://i.imgur.com/4Kfpv7u.jpg

ChattanoogaPhil
09-06-17, 13:20
xxxxxxxxxxx

VARIABLE9
09-06-17, 13:27

I think it's a great photo, and I see what you are saying about the crop. For a photograph I was going to frame (let's say I was the subject in the photograph) I might want the full back and some background. But for an ad piece the cropped back doesn't look bad. Hey, that's JMO!

Stickman
09-10-17, 14:37
https://i.imgur.com/4Kfpv7u.jpg

Pretty standard, yet clean shot. I would consider adding some space around the weapon and pouch. It feels a bit crowded the way it is displayed. Gradation of light can be a personal like, but I would have feathered it a tad more to provide a little more illumination on the back side, and less washout towards the front.

Stickman
09-10-17, 14:38
This one is indeed mine. I really need a better lighting setup, as this was pretty much two desk lamps with led bulbs set to the sides.

Absolutely nothing wrong with playing around with various lighting setups. It is a great way to find what you do and don't like, as well as to get a better grasp of lighting overall. We are always playing with new things.

Stickman
09-10-17, 14:39
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170717/50f5b3bd073c48c362712ad6880915aa.jpg

I was trying to get a clean silhouette of the gun to make a sticker for my safe, I wasn't trying to get a good photo, but I think one did come out of my efforts.

Took the photo in my bathtub, just a little editing to get the clean looking background.

I don't love it like I want to...

ChattanoogaPhil
09-14-17, 12:54
https://i.imgur.com/pjd5tI4.png

Circle_10
09-20-17, 14:56
Took this on a whim after finishing up some close range shooting with my retro/mutt carbine. It kinda makes me think of a crime scene pic of the aftermath of a "Heat" style bank heist or something.

http://i.imgur.com/LwzdQ2R.jpg

Stickman
09-27-17, 22:48
Took this on a whim after finishing up some close range shooting with my retro/mutt carbine. It kinda makes me think of a crime scene pic of the aftermath of a "Heat" style bank heist or something.

http://i.imgur.com/LwzdQ2R.jpg

Good off center layout, I like it. I'm not sold on the color shift, and the magazine closest to the viewer detracts from the overall image, but still very nice.

TriggerFish
10-08-17, 14:30
I have taken many low eye level photos of handguns and knives, but this shot of a long gun is my first. I used natural late afternoon light for an AZ-Sonoran desert type flavor.
https://i.imgur.com/nPW4LAg.jpg

Stickman
10-08-17, 19:57
I have taken many low eye level photos of handguns and knives, but this shot of a long gun is my first. I used natural late afternoon light for an AZ-Sonoran desert type flavor.
https://i.imgur.com/nPW4LAg.jpg

The strong blue tint on the weapon really offsets everything else in the picture. I like the angle and perspective. I think a little more negative space in the image could have worked nicely.

TriggerFish
10-09-17, 13:22
Thank you Stick. This is why it's good to have a photo editor, while trying to boost the color of the faded/old cactus the SBR turned blue.
While now the total fix, I got the 6933 back to black(ish).
https://i.imgur.com/R61vOEf.jpg
After going back to the photo site I found I had a limited "window" for the shot, below and to the sides.
I didn't like the tight crop either but forgot why I did it.

Sierrahotel83
10-15-17, 10:00
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171015/d656b3e95b861ce1479f6e9641c280e4.jpg

Taken this morning, using my iPhone 6s jut to mess around, this thread made me do it

I like the feel of the weathered fence for pics in general and hanging the rifle made it feel better than leaning it on against the fence

So far I don't think I have looked at it enough to really critique it yet.

Stickman
10-15-17, 21:27
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171015/d656b3e95b861ce1479f6e9641c280e4.jpg

Taken this morning, using my iPhone 6s jut to mess around, this thread made me do it

I like the feel of the weathered fence for pics in general and hanging the rifle made it feel better than leaning it on against the fence

So far I don't think I have looked at it enough to really critique it yet.

Multiple backgrounds and conflicting angles aren't helping this one.

Stickman
10-15-17, 21:29
Thank you Stick. This is why it's good to have a photo editor, while trying to boost the color of the faded/old cactus the SBR turned blue.
While now the total fix, I got the 6933 back to black(ish).
https://i.imgur.com/R61vOEf.jpg
After going back to the photo site I found I had a limited "window" for the shot, below and to the sides.
I didn't like the tight crop either but forgot why I did it.

Looks a million times better this way.

BrigandTwoFour
12-09-17, 13:29
Tried to take advantage of the snow today.

https://everydaymarksman.files.wordpress.com/2017/12/p1020582.jpg

Vegas
12-09-17, 15:09
^^^I like it.

BrigandTwoFour
12-09-17, 16:26
^^^I like it.

Thanks!

My wife informed me she prefers a black and white one that I took of the same scene.

https://everydaymarksman.files.wordpress.com/2017/12/p1020577.jpg

Stickman
12-09-17, 17:26
Tried to take advantage of the snow today.

https://everydaymarksman.files.wordpress.com/2017/12/p1020582.jpg

Over all it looks good. The exposure is off, but the overall feel is good. Solid seasonal pic.

BrigandTwoFour
12-09-17, 18:27
Over all it looks good. The exposure is off, but the overall feel is good. Solid seasonal pic.

Thanks!

Too much exposure?

I tend to bump up exposure a bit in post. This was the original, is it more balanced?

https://everydaymarksman.files.wordpress.com/2017/12/snoworiginal.jpg

ChattanoogaPhil
12-30-17, 08:22
https://i.imgur.com/cjihRfJ.jpg

Stickman
01-25-18, 12:49
https://i.imgur.com/cjihRfJ.jpg

Great shot! I'm not sure how I missed this. Even with the clipping (overblown highlights), it still looks very good. I'm not 100% sold on the knife being in the picture as it doesn't add anything, and the highlights off the frame in front of the grip pull the human eye down anyway. The image ends up becoming slightly off balance, but for a internet picture, it is stunning.

It really is a very nice pic.

TriggerFish
01-31-18, 12:28
New shot of my "new" 11/47 shipped K-22 Masterpiece with rescued Diamond Targets

https://i.imgur.com/y5mHCJL.jpg

Stickman
01-31-18, 17:00
New shot of my "new" 11/47 shipped K-22 Masterpiece with rescued Diamond Targets

I know the text book answer is the image has too many things going on with it, but I like it quite a bit. It has a lot of appeal.

Mongo
02-14-18, 08:15
Just trying to get good high detailed picture of my gun. I'm terrible about staging pictures since I'm an engineer and not creative in that area. I was trying to get the lighting right with a couple of crappy lamps. I was wanting a picture that gave me good depth of field and high detail of all parts of the gun. The only post editing of the pictures was to water mark it.

http://weaponblueprints.com/mongo/pictures/Stoner-commando-left-side.jpg

My other picture. I was goofing around and took this one and later ended up liking it but got mad that I used fake ammo instead of a belt of real ammo in the shot. Something is off slightly in the shot though and I'm not sure how to correct it.

http://weaponblueprints.com/mongo/pictures/Stoner63a-rightside-feed-open.jpg

JulyAZ
02-14-18, 10:28
In all honesty I’m not sure what I was going for here, but I like the way it turned out. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180214/36402646c0827f97e09463ac8437ef70.jpg

Stickman
02-14-18, 14:24
My other picture. I was goofing around and took this one and later ended up liking it but got mad that I used fake ammo instead of a belt of real ammo in the shot. Something is off slightly in the shot though and I'm not sure how to correct it.

http://weaponblueprints.com/mongo/pictures/Stoner63a-rightside-feed-open.jpg

Lets start with the second picture, because that to my eye is a simple cure. I have taken the liberty of cropping and rotating the image, and remarked it is there is no question that YOU are the one who shot it, and not I. The shadow / minor grey should get cleaned up for this, but the idea isn't for me to mess around with your image, it was just to show the difference with rotation.

I agree with you with the dummy rounds not helping anything, but the rest of the image, as shown, is very very good. Let me know what you think of the difference with the crop the way I did it. You might hate it, and that is fine. If you want the image pulled down please let me know, I am certainly not attempting to create any hostilities.

https://68.media.tumblr.com/56a55f7747c06d68d84c5d4946c9f4ad/tumblr_p45pvmhkzK1rrcg2fo1_1280.jpg

Stickman
02-14-18, 14:33
Just trying to get good high detailed picture of my gun. I'm terrible about staging pictures since I'm an engineer and not creative in that area. I was trying to get the lighting right with a couple of crappy lamps. I was wanting a picture that gave me good depth of field and high detail of all parts of the gun. The only post editing of the pictures was to water mark it.

http://weaponblueprints.com/mongo/pictures/Stoner-commando-left-side.jpg

Depth of field is decent, though I probably would have gone higher than F11 if I were shooting it with my own equipment. I routinely shoot at F14 to keep edges sharp.

The picture is very good. Regarding changes or making it better, there are only a few very minor items and they are very very nit picky. As it stands now, it is certainly good enough for publication, poster, etc.. It is more than good enough for showing an item online.

If you look at the handguard, you can see illumination creating highlights on a portion of it, an upgraded version of this picture would showcase that highlight evenly across the entire handguard and not just the forward half. This is a tiny detail, but one which would better than image.

If you look at the barrel fluting, a little more contrast via lighting (or post processing) would help the front end.

The trigger could use a little illumination increase as well.

Although I have already said it, I'll point out again that these are highly minor details which I don't honestly think anyone would notice or that most would even care about it.

Great shot.

Stickman
02-14-18, 14:36
In all honesty I’m not sure what I was going for here, but I like the way it turned out. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180214/36402646c0827f97e09463ac8437ef70.jpg

I think it is highly over saturated, which makes it very subjective.

The focus and clarity appears to be lacking. I am guessing this is an iphone picture, or other cell phone creation. It makes it hard to assess the image when comparing it to others in this thread.

In general, the eye goes to the dead vegetation from first view. If posted online, someone scrolling may not notice the weapon, but that isn't always a bad thing depending on the overall look and feel desired in the image.

Mongo
02-14-18, 18:27
Lets start with the second picture, because that to my eye is a simple cure. I have taken the liberty of cropping and rotating the image, and remarked it is there is no question that YOU are the one who shot it, and not I. The shadow / minor grey should get cleaned up for this, but the idea isn't for me to mess around with your image, it was just to show the difference with rotation.

I agree with you with the dummy rounds not helping anything, but the rest of the image, as shown, is very very good. Let me know what you think of the difference with the crop the way I did it. You might hate it, and that is fine. If you want the image pulled down please let me know, I am certainly not attempting to create any hostilities.

Thanks for looking at my noobish attempts at shooting pictures. If I did not want criticism of the pictures I would have not posted them here so feel free to say any thing you want about any thing I post in this thread. Unfortunately I'm not seeing your edit of the picture. Feel free to change it as you think it needs to be. I plan to reshoot the picture at some point in the future and use a real ammo instead. Basically I'm trying to duplicate my dumb luck and any suggested changes will help.

As for shooting the picture, I have a problem with a lack of decent lights because I don't own any. So I'm using some poster board to reflect some florescent lights in cheap clamp on desk lamps. I use a tripod and shoot over a large range of shutter settings and pick the one I think works best after the fact. The lights limit my pictures and my lack of never having any education on taking pictures. You pointing out the lighting in the next picture helps me to try to know what to look at. Thanks again for the help.

Stickman
02-14-18, 23:18
Unfortunately I'm not seeing your edit of the picture. Feel free to change it as you think it needs to be. I plan to reshoot the picture at some point in the future and use a real ammo instead. Basically I'm trying to duplicate my dumb luck and any suggested changes will help.

I guess it helps if I actually post the pic...... :D

https://68.media.tumblr.com/56a55f7747c06d68d84c5d4946c9f4ad/tumblr_p45pvmhkzK1rrcg2fo1_1280.jpg

Mongo
02-15-18, 13:11
Thanks for posting it. I fiddle with it before I got to see it and guessed what you had done and I agree it looks much better with the simple changes.

Here is a picture I like that I took but I think I can see some of the lighting issues you mentioned in my previous picture. Unfortunately I use a lot of ambient light and these were taken later int he day when I was losing it hence the overall lighting issues.

http://weaponblueprints.com/mongo/pictures/FG42-7.jpg

I'm having a real issue on how to take pictures of guns with very rich bluing that seems to reflect every color in the room. I was wearing an orange shirt that day I took this one and I can tell as well as you can see reflections of the room in it. I also need to oil the surface and wear cotton gloves when I take pictures of guns with high polish blue. What are your tips when taking pictures of high polish blue guns?

http://weaponblueprints.com/mongo/pictures/Swedish-m37-left.jpg
http://weaponblueprints.com/mongo/pictures/Swedish-m37-action-top.jpg

infidel4life11
02-20-18, 16:48
Using an Iphone. Doing what I can when/where I can.
https://i.imgur.com/2pAvWfE.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/RIeKhsV.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/scVmCAQ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/rKg9I5M.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Ydcs0TR.jpg

LDB
02-20-18, 17:19

Beautiful K-22. I think I'd like it better without the antler and showing a bit more of the magazine page instead. The Walking Liberty is a great touch.

TriggerFish
02-20-18, 19:20
LDB, there is a story behind this particular photo.
I was born 11/13/47 and I now collect Nov. '47 S&W revolvers. This K-22 is my most recent and in the best condition of the K-22s that I have.
The 11/47 American Rifleman came from my late father-in-law, a NRA Life Member and fellow shooter and hunter. The antler was from one of his many deer hunts in the 40's. He also gave me a Luger his brother had brought back from WWII for my wedding gift 37 years ago. We used to go pistol shooting together. He died in 1985 and I still miss him. He died at 69 and I finally made it to 70.

The 1947 half dollar represents the $0.50/box I used to pay for ammo when I went shooting in the late 1950s and early 60s. I would give them a dollar and get back a "box of 50" and a fifty cent piece. Since this was Oregon, there was and is no sales tax!

LDB
02-20-18, 19:48
That is very cool. You're a little bit ahead of me. I'll be 61 in a few weeks. I remember .22 ammo for less than a dollar a box in the 60's, maybe fifty cents or less sometimes. Good luck with finding many more.

wingspar
02-22-18, 21:03
I consider myself a decent photographer with zero artistic skills. I probabaly have over 400 photos with just these 3 firearms, and I can’t say I’m thrilled with any of them. Some are ok and some are dreadful. Critique these 3 if you will.

http://www.pbase.com/wingspar/image/167042736/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/wingspar/image/167042856/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/wingspar/image/167042872/original.jpg

militarymoron
02-22-18, 22:05
I'm having a real issue on how to take pictures of guns with very rich bluing that seems to reflect every color in the room. I was wearing an orange shirt that day I took this one and I can tell as well as you can see reflections of the room in it. I also need to oil the surface and wear cotton gloves when I take pictures of guns with high polish blue. What are your tips when taking pictures of high polish blue guns?

Really nice pics, Mongo. And good comments, Stick. I have a very primitive set up at home (I'm just using two light sources with a tracing paper diffuser I made myself), and sometimes have the same issue with reflections. I take my photos at night (or close the blinds) so the room is dark, and try to wear a black t-shirt if I'm shooting something reflective. Looks like you need a big lightbox, lol. I'm not as picky because I'm taking photos more for illustrative purposes than artistic ones usually.

A good friend just gave me this pistol for my 10-year old son, so I snapped some pics of it because it's so pretty. However, it posed some challenges for me because of the deep black parts and gold plated ones. The challenge was to show the black details without blowing out the gold ones. I took about 10 pics and this is the only one that came out satisfactorily (I'd have liked a bit more light on the back of the wood grip and the bottom of the ejector, and a darker hammer so the all the gold parts are more of the same colour). A light box might have worked better, but I don't have one. Polished bluing or stainless suck to photograph. Tips and critique are welcomed, Stick.

https://i.imgur.com/rNUEtEP.jpg

wingspar
02-22-18, 23:23
One last photo. This one I kind of like. Thoughts?

http://www.pbase.com/wingspar/image/159470803/original.jpg

JC5188
03-14-18, 16:16
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180314/8ed35ee9a3582f215e53f15606cf08b3.jpg

Model 411

JC5188
04-14-18, 17:21
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180414/06b08a61f4b16453d1d968d3ab0ab93a.jpg

Bit of a S&W slut myself....

mkmckinley
04-14-18, 18:23
https://i.imgur.com/UCyLRyUh.jpg?2

Can anyone suggest a technique or filter I can use to get rid of the "I took a picture of this on the kitchen cutting board" effect.

TriggerFish
04-21-18, 15:06
https://i.imgur.com/cC8udr6.jpg

Stickman
04-21-18, 17:06
Really nice pics, Mongo. And good comments, Stick. I have a very primitive set up at home (I'm just using two light sources with a tracing paper diffuser I made myself), and sometimes have the same issue with reflections. I take my photos at night (or close the blinds) so the room is dark, and try to wear a black t-shirt if I'm shooting something reflective. Looks like you need a big lightbox, lol. I'm not as picky because I'm taking photos more for illustrative purposes than artistic ones usually.

A good friend just gave me this pistol for my 10-year old son, so I snapped some pics of it because it's so pretty. However, it posed some challenges for me because of the deep black parts and gold plated ones. The challenge was to show the black details without blowing out the gold ones. I took about 10 pics and this is the only one that came out satisfactorily (I'd have liked a bit more light on the back of the wood grip and the bottom of the ejector, and a darker hammer so the all the gold parts are more of the same colour). A light box might have worked better, but I don't have one. Polished bluing or stainless suck to photograph. Tips and critique are welcomed, Stick.

https://i.imgur.com/rNUEtEP.jpg

The image is quite good, like you said, it isn't an easy item to shoot pics of. Personally, I would have applied a bit more light from the rear of the handle to give it a bit of rim light, but it is still very good.

Stickman
04-21-18, 17:07
One last photo. This one I kind of like. Thoughts?

http://www.pbase.com/wingspar/image/159470803/original.jpg

The image is clean and clear, but for some reason it still falls a bit short of spectacular. I might have gone with a larger crop if it were me.

Stickman
04-21-18, 17:08
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180314/8ed35ee9a3582f215e53f15606cf08b3.jpg

Model 411

Maybe with the right white balance, but in general it isn't doing it for me. I think the picture would have been much better had the lighting been behind it, instead of off to the right.

Stickman
04-21-18, 17:09
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180414/06b08a61f4b16453d1d968d3ab0ab93a.jpg

Bit of a S&W slut myself....

You are a bad man for making my eyes bleed. Throwing a pattern on a bath towel isn't covered by by a crappy filter. Daddy, make the bad man stop....

Stickman
04-21-18, 17:11
https://i.imgur.com/UCyLRyUh.jpg?2

Can anyone suggest a technique or filter I can use to get rid of the "I took a picture of this on the kitchen cutting board" effect.

No. No filters. If you can't get a picture that you like, don't accept the look of a filter trying to make up for it. The cutting board isn't the problem with this picture. The picture is centered, and off balance. Making the image square certainly isn't helping it.

The pic itself isn't bad, and reshot with a different layout, I think it could be quite good.

Stickman
04-21-18, 17:14
https://i.imgur.com/cC8udr6.jpg

In general, your images posted online are always above the generic standard of firearm boards. The stand out in a good way. In this case, the thing which offends me most is the lack of riser on the mount.

Had the covers been on, and the iron sights down, my eye wouldn't have been drawn to that area. Aside from that it is clean, but the B&W lacks depth, and makes it appear the BW effect was used more to make up for a white balance issue.

JC5188
04-22-18, 06:47
You are a bad man for making my eyes bleed. Throwing a pattern on a bath towel isn't covered by by a crappy filter. Daddy, make the bad man stop....

Lol...I guess my reach for “texture” missed the mark.

Thanks for the critique [emoji106]

Stickman
04-22-18, 12:05
Lol...I guess my reach for “texture” missed the mark.

Thanks for the critique [emoji106]

Thanks for taking it the right way and with humor!

JC5188
04-22-18, 12:51
Thanks for taking it the right way and with humor!

Hey man, I’ve been around here a minute, I get y’all [emoji14]

militarymoron
04-22-18, 19:51
The image is quite good, like you said, it isn't an easy item to shoot pics of. Personally, I would have applied a bit more light from the rear of the handle to give it a bit of rim light, but it is still very good.

Totally agree - thanks for the feedback! LOL - I only have two lights; it'd have been nice to have a third to light up the back of the grip like you said.

TriggerFish
04-22-18, 20:07
First of all, thank you Stick for the spot on critique. As to your point about the B&W, I was going for an artsy fartsy higher contrast image of a recently fired weapon just set down. I underexposed the original. Also I only shoot with existing light and could at times really use supplemental fill illumination. Most times I am trying to show the details and form of the item.

However your first observation about that which offended you most made me actually lol. I now see that my CRS has kicked in!

This shot was of a relatively new carbine with one of my older optic set ups on top.
The Aimpoint CompML2 (introduced in 2000 – discontinued in 2010) was bought @ SHOT 2003 for my soon to arrive M16A1. At the same show I also bought the A.R.M.S. M68 mount… AND the #38-STD SWAN Sleeve - 5.56 M16. The latter I neglected to install for the “art” shot. Full on CRS.

So I will submit another photo for your consideration:
https://i.imgur.com/vaplZyf.jpg
Thank you.

Stickman
04-24-18, 12:56
Totally agree - thanks for the feedback! LOL - I only have two lights; it'd have been nice to have a third to light up the back of the grip like you said.

Hot lights or strobes?

Stickman
04-24-18, 13:41
First of all, thank you Stick for the spot on critique. As to your point about the B&W, I was going for an artsy fartsy higher contrast image of a recently fired weapon just set down. I underexposed the original. Also I only shoot with existing light and could at times really use supplemental fill illumination. Most times I am trying to show the details and form of the item.

However your first observation about that which offended you most made me actually lol. I now see that my CRS has kicked in!

This shot was of a relatively new carbine with one of my older optic set ups on top.
The Aimpoint CompML2 (introduced in 2000 – discontinued in 2010) was bought @ SHOT 2003 for my soon to arrive M16A1. At the same show I also bought the A.R.M.S. M68 mount… AND the #38-STD SWAN Sleeve - 5.56 M16. The latter I neglected to install for the “art” shot. Full on CRS.

So I will submit another photo for your consideration:
https://i.imgur.com/vaplZyf.jpg
Thank you.

I see a very nice clean image that doesn't say anything to me. In this case I think it is the use of a broad light that really doesn't give any depth or shadows.

Don't get me wrong, most people would rightly be proud of this image, but you aren't in the "most people" crowd. Think for a minute about what the chair brings to the table (pun intended).... Is it bringing award winning texture with its dirty stained surface while forming a lattice of plastics/ rubbers? Does the anodized, worn arm of the chair impart feel and emotion? No? I would agree they do not. I can see from the background that other options were available, which makes me wonder why if this was a natural light picture something else wasn't used as a background. Like I said, a good picture.... but not great.

militarymoron
04-24-18, 15:12
Hot lights or strobes?
daylight balanced fluorescents. sufficient for what I do as a minimalist setup. but can be lacking for more professional-type shots.