PDA

View Full Version : Beefing up home security, going in blind.

WickedWillis
11-10-16, 18:05
First off, Mods if this is in the incorrect place, please correct me on the right place to put it.

So today while I am at work on my lunch break, I get a text from my girlfriend to call her. Now I knew something was up because she doesn't ever tell me to call her. She answers the phone and I can tell she's shaken up.

My girlfriend and her Mom were in our game room watching TV (located at the back of the house) when they heard a knock at the door. Her Mom got up and answered it. This guy with a clipboard is standing there and he tells her he's with DirecTv, and he can save us a ton of money to switch. Her Mom tells him to hold on and walks back to get my girlfriend. SHe comes back out, and dude is sitting on my couch. Still talking about how he can save us all this money, blah blah. Both of them get their shackles up a bit. He grabs the remote and starts looking through the channels, "you guys have a really nice TV" I can save you a ton of money, free football package, yada yada, "Hang on, let me make a phone call" he says. My girlfriend says, "I'll need to talk to Will before I make a decision" He says, well I can call him and get his permission." Mind you, guy has no badge, or even a DirecTv shirt to identify him. He hands my Girlfriend the phone and there is some guy on it she can barely hear. So she says no, and hands him the phone back.

Then he says "Okay so just give me your debit card number, and I can get your deal locked in and you'll get an email from us confirming it." At this point, her Mom has had enough and tells him no and he needs to leave. He pops off the couch "Woah what did I do wrong this is a great deal!" They then get him to leave, and contact me. I tell them to immediately call the Police and file a report.

So. My Girlfriend is pretty shook up right now, and rightfully so. It got me thinking about my overall home security, or lack there of. Now, in all fairness I have been lazy and lax on this since we bought the house last year. We live directly across the street from a large High School, and grade school, in a nice working-class neighborhood. I let myself get a tad too comfy. Obviously when I am home I have handgun withing arms reach and never answer the door when an unexpected knock happens unless I am armed. I want to do some stuff for her piece of mind when she's there alone during the day.

I plan on replacing all the deadbolts with larger, heavier duty ones. Maybe even beefing up the front door as a whole. We have a slider in back that I need a track lock for as well. I am also considering setting up a few closed circuit cameras, especially one on the door so I can see who is there before I answer. Are home security systems in general worth the price?

I just don't have a ton of knowledge here and I could use some help from all you awesome guys.

Single level home, front door, slider, garage door as main points of entry.

Travis B
11-10-16, 18:19
Get a dog.

WickedWillis
11-10-16, 18:24
Get a dog.

We do have a Dog. He's just not the intimidating "get out of my house type". He's the, "I bark at every damn noise" type.

Co-gnARR
11-10-16, 18:26
There is a device that mounts to the floor in front of your door that you can remove during normal traffic times. It basically blocks the door from getting forced open. Think of a vertical dead bolt, only this thing is T-shaped, so it distributes the force of some one kicking from the opposite side across the width of the bar, so it is stronger than a dead bolt of similar thickness. I forget the name but I need to add some of these to my house. When I find it I will post. I too have noticed a spike in crime in my neighborhood.
In the meantime I added an Arlo system to watch the front and rear of my house. Super simple wifi cameras that are battery powered. Not the ideal solution, but 20 minutes with a drill gets you online with cloud storage for free (until you link more than 5 cameras). If you get the Arlo Pro it has 2 way speakers plus a 100dB alarm- perfect for deafening some junkie trying to kick in your door (yes, this is becoming a real threat where I live). I wanted to run coax CCTV cameras with a local DVR but the install takes a great amount of planning and labor- I have a stucco'd home, so that adds complexity. YMMV re coax/hard wired security cams.

+1 on dog. I don't have one because I travel a lot, but the police tell me a dog of any size that barks is the best deterent out there. Trust me, some one who is meth high will not recognize when you point a weapon at his face.

Pi3
11-10-16, 18:30
Get a dog.

They should not answer the door for strangers when you are not home.

RetroRevolver77
11-10-16, 18:32
Trained dogs.

WickedWillis
11-10-16, 18:38
They should not answer the door for strangers when you are not home.

I agree with this as well. I understand that they made some mistakes, and I plan on discussing them with her when I get off work. She's pretty stressed and shaken up.

WickedWillis
11-10-16, 18:44
There is a device that mounts to the floor in front of your door that you can remove during normal traffic times. It basically blocks the door from getting forced open. Think of a vertical dead bolt, only this thing is T-shaped, so it distributes the force of some one kicking from the opposite side across the width of the bar, so it is stronger than a dead bolt of similar thickness. I forget the name but I need to add some of these to my house. When I find it I will post. I too have noticed a spike in crime in my neighborhood.
In the meantime I added an Arlo system to watch the front and rear of my house. Super simple wifi cameras that are battery powered. Not the ideal solution, but 20 minutes with a drill gets you online with cloud storage for free (until you link more than 5 cameras). If you get the Arlo Pro it has 2 way speakers plus a 100dB alarm- perfect for deafening some junkie trying to kick in your door (yes, this is becoming a real threat where I live). I wanted to run coax CCTV cameras with a local DVR but the install takes a great amount of planning and labor- I have a stucco'd home, so that adds complexity. YMMV re coax/hard wired security cams.

+1 on dog. I don't have one because I travel a lot, but the police tell me a dog of any size that barks is the best deterent out there. Trust me, some one who is meth high will not recognize when you point a weapon at his face.

Good recommendations on the cameras. They can be a deterrent just having them as well. Meth is the king issue in our area too.

sevenhelmet
11-10-16, 18:49
Sounds like a classic casing attempt to me. I hope you got the guy's description. A call to Direct-TV wouldn't hurt, either. They may be interested in impersonators in your area.

We had a guy stop by and start eagerly asking my wife some questions that I found a little too personal, right after we moved in (Is your husband in the military? What does he do? Are you here alone? etc.), so I told him to GTFO, and snapped a photo of his car and plate #. I'm normally a nice guy, but something about this dude's demeanor was just little "off", and I sure as hell don't share my occupation with strangers. I have since found a "no soliciting" sign on the front door goes a long way toward convincing people we want to be left alone. Deadbolt, dogs, motion-activated lights go a long way too.

Ditto on the cameras as well- I have been thinking seriously about this, since we can bring them with us when we move.

jmp45
11-10-16, 18:52
We have cameras and we never answer the door to anyone we don't know. Also, have a private drive sign that has no effect. It's used constantly for turn arounds on our busy street.

Co-gnARR
11-10-16, 20:03
A lot of good info here. Some things I thought about after my post above- we did do a reinforced
frame along with a heavy duty entry door, since the door and dead bolts are useless without a sturdy frame to anchor to. You might consider having a reinforced entry screen added to the frame- this will be an additional layer of security to the door, which can remained locked at all times. That way, if the ladies abaolutley felt the need to open the door they still have a locked all metal door between them and the outside. The stuff at Home Depot and Lowes won't cut it- the screens are pop-riveted in place, and can be cut with a cheap blade. Also, none of the pre-fabbed doors had any kind of protection from punching through and unlocking the door. My neighbors had a screen entry door custom made- the screen is heavy gquge steel, welded into place and there is a large ornate barrier around the door knob that makes it impossible to reach the door knob with human arms. The best part is the door looks normal and low profile. It was not cheap but then a single forced entry into your home is something that you can't recover from.
Talk to your home insurance company for suggestions on beefing your security- for mine, a monitored professional security system will get me discounts, but a DIY kit won't. Also, hedges/shrubs/rose bushes around 1st level windows are apparently enough of a hassle to defer would-be burglars to make them move to another target.
Train yourself and your loved ones to be vigilent and aware of their surroundings. I am now logging EVERYTHING that looks out of place in my neighborhood. I've established face to face contact with APD's crime deterent rep for our area, and the sad thing is he says no one reports anything day to day, but they are getting an influx of 911 calls and reports of theft in our area. Cliff's notes- there is a rental unit nearby that was recently occupied by some young guys. We have had nothing but trouble since they moved in. I wouldn't have connected the dots until I noticed a surge in shady foot traffic lately, coupled with a lot of random knocks on the door at all hours. My log book is filling quickly.

wildcard600
11-10-16, 22:54
If you decide to go with web based security cameras make sure you internet can handle the upload bandwidth. I tried a single Arlo but my upload speed was barely able to handle the camera signal and it would simply stop recording if anyone was using the internet at the same time.

HCrum87hc
11-10-16, 23:26
Motion lights are a quick and easy upgrade. I've installed some at our side and back doors and need to get some on the front door and a motion flood light overlooking the driveway/garage. The biggest issue we've had in our neighborhood is people going through unlocked cars at night in our neighbors' driveways. Another quick item that a lot of people don't think of is putting longer screws in the strike plates on your door frames. Typical locks and plates come with little 1" screws. Grab some 3" screws from the hardware store and switch them out. There's a few vids on youtube showing how effective this is.

We also have an alarm system with Simplisafe. It's worked well so far, and they're on their game when we've accidentally done something that warrants them calling. My next purchase will likely be some Arlo cameras to watch my outside doors. Our 55lb pit/boxer mix also sounds like a 100lb dog. His bark is very intimidating, although he'd just lick them to death if they got inside.

SteyrAUG
11-11-16, 00:27
Ok, sounds like you got cased.

Somebody got a look at the goodies and found out when the "man of the house" is not home. If you don't have a monitored alarm system, get one. It's not perfect but it's a layer of deterrence. Most systems today come with camera setups and it's probably the most cost effective package.

I would 100% call direct TV and determine if they had door to door representatives in your neighborhood. This way you can rule things out one way or another. If they tell you that nobody from Direct TV was working your neighborhood call the police and have an officer come out. Get a case number, they don't have to actually do a lot if there isn't a case number.

Best case scenario they were looking for empty houses to hit later in the week while people are at work and to harvest a few credit card numbers. I won't get into worse case scenarios, you've already thought about them.

If you are on good terms with your neighbors, talk to them. Having a neighbor keep an eye on your place is better than nothing.

I wouldn't put too much thought into hardening your front door. If they want in and are willing to come in when people are home, glass breaks pretty easy. If your girlfriend is going to be home during the day, get her some basic firearms instruction and make sure she has access to firearms.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-11-16, 02:23
When we bought our house we had new 'screen' doors put in. I trust them more than the main door. Heavy gauge and they actually have pins like a bank vault to help keep it in place. At least zombie proof.

Did we get a definite link to that T Bar thing?

Wife likes that our house is the most lit on the block. I want to dial it back just a bit and add motion ones to go full sun. The issue is that it is daytime stuff here. Front door knock, back door entry. I've pad locked one gate to the backyard. Still trying to figure out how to do the other one and still get the the lawn mower guy in.

mikelowrey
11-11-16, 04:15
OP,

Good alarm system, you can do a DIY with alarm.com and have the monitoring service, I created my own system and use alarm.com 27/month, the only thing is that you need to pay upfront for the equipment, but its yours and you can take with you in case you move again. Also get yourself a Ring (www.ring.com) is a doorbell with a camera that you can answer from your phone when someone hits the button, now, if they approach the door without ringing you will get notified to your phone anyways, it has like security option that you can set up that if it detects movements up to a certain distance, it will notify you for you to see it through the camera.

A NO SOLICITING sign is also a good thing with another sign saying that solicitors will be considered trespassers and will get locked up. If you are going to go with cameras look into nelly's, don't trust these costco, sams club bundle system, that is old tech, go with IP cameras that have better image quality, a bit more but worth it at the end.! Look into it. be safe! and make sure the wifey has a gun !

Pilot1
11-11-16, 05:16
As others have said, there are behavioral issues that can be addressed up front. NEVER OPEN THE DOOR TO STRANGERS. When there is a rare nock on my door, I shout through the door that I do not open it, as I am holding my CZ-75 by my side. They always go away.

An inexpensive intercom system may help address the communication with the outside.

Co-gnARR
11-11-16, 07:29
http://thebulldogbar.com

This wasn't the door brace I was thinking of but it looks like it would work.

ETA: https://www.amazon.com/Club-Model-20-Door-Brass/dp/B00007E7LN

CPM
11-11-16, 08:03
All the alarms and deadbolts in the world would not have prevented this scenario, you have a training issue. Moving forward, everything that has been said is spot on- motion sensor lights, deadbolts, cameras. In that order.

Whiskey_Bravo
11-11-16, 08:36
All the alarms and deadbolts in the world would not have prevented this scenario, you have a training issue. Moving forward, everything that has been said is spot on- motion sensor lights, deadbolts, cameras. In that order.

This. You could have had a vault door as your front door and it wouldn't have mattered since it was opened freely. I would start with training for everyone that is in the home. Once you have done that, make sure you have decent locks(that are used), and a camera or two wouldn't be bad.

Unless you know the person never answer the door, there is no reason for it. Unless of course you like talking to sales people and/or having your home cased. It may seem rude but I don't have time to deal with clip board guys or late teen/20 somethings trying to sell subscriptions so they can go on a trip. There is practically no legit person that will come to your door.

skywalkrNCSU
11-11-16, 08:44
When I got robbed I could have had all my doors up to Ft Knox standards and it wouldn't have made a difference. They broke a window, didn't even open it, just crawled through, and were in and out in no time. An alarm might have got them out a little quicker if it would have picked up the glass break/motion sensor. I wouldn't waste my money on reinforced doors unless your windows are equally secure. Keep your valuables locked in a safe and use an alarm system so they can't spend all day trying to get into it.

Also, since people were home at the time for these instances a screened or glass door in front of your main door would help because they could just talk to the people through that without giving them access to your home.

Last, make sure you have adequate insurance because if someone really wants to get in they will.

Ryno12
11-11-16, 08:45
All the alarms and deadbolts in the world would not have prevented this scenario, you have a training issue.

This. You could have had a vault door as your front door and it wouldn't have mattered since it was opened freely. I would start with training for everyone that is in the home. door.

The OP already acknowledged & understands all that. It's the entire situation that got him rethinking his home security setup.

Whiskey_Bravo
11-11-16, 09:04
The OP already acknowledged & understands all that. It's the entire situation that got him rethinking his home security setup.

thank you.....

WickedWillis
11-11-16, 11:02
If you decide to go with web based security cameras make sure you internet can handle the upload bandwidth. I tried a single Arlo but my upload speed was barely able to handle the camera signal and it would simply stop recording if anyone was using the internet at the same time.

This is something I hadn't thought about concerning the cameras. My internet at home is really slow, so that might limit what I should look at here. Thanks for that heads up.

Ok, sounds like you got cased.

Somebody got a look at the goodies and found out when the "man of the house" is not home. If you don't have a monitored alarm system, get one. It's not perfect but it's a layer of deterrence. Most systems today come with camera setups and it's probably the most cost effective package.

I would 100% call direct TV and determine if they had door to door representatives in your neighborhood. This way you can rule things out one way or another. If they tell you that nobody from Direct TV was working your neighborhood call the police and have an officer come out. Get a case number, they don't have to actually do a lot if there isn't a case number.

Best case scenario they were looking for empty houses to hit later in the week while people are at work and to harvest a few credit card numbers. I won't get into worse case scenarios, you've already thought about them.

If you are on good terms with your neighbors, talk to them. Having a neighbor keep an eye on your place is better than nothing.

I wouldn't put too much thought into hardening your front door. If they want in and are willing to come in when people are home, glass breaks pretty easy. If your girlfriend is going to be home during the day, get her some basic firearms instruction and make sure she has access to firearms.

I do feel we got cased, with a splash of trying to steal debit card numbers. The guy left a card that said he was with "Fuse satellite", and a quick google search showed they have a fraud flag on ripoff report, but I can't find much more than that regarding them, http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Fuse-Satelitte-/internet/Fuse-Satelitte-Fuse-Fraud-claim-to-be-w-DirectTv-amp-dish-but-its-a-SCAM-Austin-Texa-1273818.

The Girlfriend and I went over why she shouldn't ever open the door unless it's someone we know, and we went through where my HD gun is at that's always ready to go, and a reminder on how to use it. I am taking her to the range this weekend because we haven't went over the basics in a long while.

I am on good terms with the neighbors as well. I even grew up with one of them, good people. They work for a bank and are gone the same amount of time I am during the day, but we watch each other's places then we are gone.

OP,

Good alarm system, you can do a DIY with alarm.com and have the monitoring service, I created my own system and use alarm.com 27/month, the only thing is that you need to pay upfront for the equipment, but its yours and you can take with you in case you move again. Also get yourself a Ring (www.ring.com) is a doorbell with a camera that you can answer from your phone when someone hits the button, now, if they approach the door without ringing you will get notified to your phone anyways, it has like security option that you can set up that if it detects movements up to a certain distance, it will notify you for you to see it through the camera.

A NO SOLICITING sign is also a good thing with another sign saying that solicitors will be considered trespassers and will get locked up. If you are going to go with cameras look into nelly's, don't trust these costco, sams club bundle system, that is old tech, go with IP cameras that have better image quality, a bit more but worth it at the end.! Look into it. be safe! and make sure the wifey has a gun !

I had thought a little bit about the ring through doorbell. I had seen a commercial for one a few times and thought it was a very good idea. We might end up going with a kit like that as an added barrier. I just hope I stressed to her enough that she doesn't open the door when I'm not home.

williejc
11-11-16, 18:46
About alarms. One article from the past suggested having entrances configured a certain way. There would be two doors. The first would be an easily defeated outer door, which when defeated would set off the alarm. The second door would be the regular door. The thief then would not have time to hang around to defeat the second door.