PDA

View Full Version : A modest prediction. When cans go Title 1.

30 cal slut
11-11-16, 06:29
When cans are decriminalized in all 50 states (and territories) and treated as Title 1 firearms, I predict there will be a huge surge in demand.

I think, more than the industry can accommodate.

NY and CA alone would more than suck up current industry production, I think.

It will be a good time to be a suppressor manufacturer. At least for the time being, until demand levels off.

All those guns that Americans have been hoarding and stockpiling will need threaded barrels and cans.

You, the gun-buying consumer, will benefit, because the prices are sure to come down, with regulatory hurdles removed and mucho competition getting into the industry.

We might even be able to pitch cans as a Good Thing to our green-leaning friends (less noise pollution) and ranges will get less NIMBY pushback because they'll be less noisy. Still noisy, but less noisy. More ranges will permit shooting at night time. We can say in Europe, cans are good shooting etiquette. You can buy them over the counter in France, like baguettes. Hell, they are even available and encouraged in the UK.

Remember that cans were designated NFA because game wardens were worried about poaching back in the day. Shit, fast forward to today. In Finland, if you hunt, you are required to hunt with a suppressor. Look at today's professional hunters in suburban and urban areas who are hired to cull deer on the East Coast (yes, there are areas that do just that where there is no hunting). What do they use? Rifles with cans. At night so as not to spook the populace.

When the horrified libs and urban folk push back - tell them "if you own a car, you already own a silencer. it's called a muffler." Watch their panicked expressions ease.

Cans are a good "razor blade" business. Because baffle strikes. I know this from personal experience. :o

I might quit my day job and start putting cans together.

Just sayin.

Eurodriver
11-11-16, 06:42
I think you're
A) Grossly overestimating congress and Trumps ability to do good things.
B) Totally forgetting that CA and NY and many other states have state level suppressor bans irrespective of the NFA.

DreadPirateMoyer
11-11-16, 06:48
I think you're
B) Totally forgetting that CA and NY and many other states have state level suppressor bans irrespective of the NFA.

Not sure on #1, but on #2, the HPA currently waiting in Congress includes state pre-emption on can bans.

Hopefully we can get #1 rolling and #2 doesn't get amended out.

Big A
11-11-16, 12:06
Why do suppressors need to be Title 1 and still require a 4473 and NICS check? They're not firearms, merely a muzzle attachment. The process shouldn't be any different than buying a complete AR upper.

daniel87
11-11-16, 12:09
Why do suppressors need to be Title 1 and still require a 4473 and NICS check? They're not firearms, merely a muzzle attachment. The process shouldn't be any different than buying a complete AR upper.
Agree.with out the firearm and a propelled projectile, the silencer is a cylindrical paper weight.
It is no difference to a flash hider.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Koshinn
11-11-16, 12:33
Not sure on #1, but on #2, the HPA currently waiting in Congress includes state pre-emption on can bans.

It includes pre-emption on state taxes, recordkeeping, and registration. Not outright bans.

a law of a State or a political subdivision of a State that, as a condition of lawfully making, transferring, using, possessing, or transporting a firearm silencer in or affecting interstate or foreign commerce, imposes a tax on any such conduct, or a marking, recordkeeping or registration requirement with respect to the firearm silencer, shall have no force or effect.

Outlander Systems
11-11-16, 12:35
Quit discussing, pontificating, and whining.

Start Acting:

http://americansuppressorassociation.com/hearing-protection-act/

#SignThatShit

https://youtu.be/0vlu2G5UkXk?t=32m4s

wildcard600
11-11-16, 13:52

Start Acting:

#SignThatShit

Already done.

#MakeAmericaGreatWithSuppressorsAgain

Outlander Systems
11-11-16, 14:14
LOL! Love it!

#MakeAmericaGreatWithSuppressorsAgain

tb-av
11-11-16, 14:16
I was thinking about this last night.

Let's just say that tomorrow the Feds say suppressors are no longer NFA. Can say VA outlaw them, regulate them? Because I can certainly see Terry McCauliffe, Tim Kaine and Mark Warner making them as illegal as possible just out of spite.

Auto-knives are illegal in VA but that's a weapon. Then so too are lock picks which are not weapons.

Can states effectively reverse Federal decisions that return constitutional rights to citizens? Because I know damn well the spiteful Dems here will try to do just that.

Joelski
11-11-16, 16:22
Automatic knives are not a weapon to a one-armed person. An edged tool that deploys automatically is still a tool. Tim Kaine is a tool without any utility; VA should outlaw him.

Outlander Systems
11-11-16, 16:36
Read the HPA.

Then contact your representatives to support it.

Short answer to your question: no.

If they pass it, hashtags can't stop it.

Let's just say that tomorrow the Feds say suppressors are no longer NFA. Can say VA outlaw them, regulate them? Because I can certainly see Terry McCauliffe, Tim Kaine and Mark Warner making them as illegal as possible just out of spite.

Auto-knives are illegal in VA but that's a weapon. Then so too are lock picks which are not weapons.

Can states effectively reverse Federal decisions that return constitutional rights to citizens? Because I know damn well the spiteful Dems here will try to do just that.

Alex V
11-11-16, 16:46
I think you're

This. Even if Congress passes the bill and Trump signs it, NJ still tells me that it's evil and I'm not cool enough to own one. Same with NY, so I don't see this changing anything for guys like me. Until I move to NC, SC or TX that is :-)

Alex V
11-11-16, 16:47
It is no difference to a flash hider.

Flash hiders are illegal in NY and NJ as well lol

daniel87
11-11-16, 17:17
Flash hiders are illegal in NY and NJ as well lol
Well then

My point exactly
[emoji41]

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

jmp45
11-11-16, 17:19

Start Acting:

Done..

SteyrAUG
11-11-16, 17:19
When cans are decriminalized in all 50 states (and territories) and treated as Title 1 firearms, I predict there will be a huge surge in demand.

I think, more than the industry can accommodate.

If suppressors go title one, people will just buy parts off the internet and build them at home. Tapco will offer "suppressor kits."

Outlander Systems
11-11-16, 17:21
Good point; however, 80% lowers haven't put BCM Out of business.

If suppressors go title one, people will just buy parts off the internet and build them at home. Tapco will offer "suppressor kits."

SteyrAUG
11-11-16, 17:53
Good point; however, 80% lowers haven't put BCM Out of business.

Don't get me wrong, there will still be SureFire, Gemtech and the rest of them making quality suppressors. But there would be a LOT of "garage builds." Think of everyone you know with a Spikes lower AR, now imagine a Tapco suppressor kit on it.

SteyrAUG
11-11-16, 17:55

Does CA have "sanctuary cities" despite Federal immigration laws?

Alex V
11-11-16, 18:34
Maybe I am missing something, and I very well may be. If silencers are removed from the NFA and made a regular firearm, I just don't get how that would make them legal in states with bans on the books.

A standard 6920 is perfectly legal in most states but in NY, NJ and CA is not. I don't see federal law trumping state law here. Am I right?

Outlander Systems
11-11-16, 18:52
Roger that.

I imagine quite a few Bubba specials floating around for sure.

Don't get me wrong, there will still be SureFire, Gemtech and the rest of them making quality suppressors. But there would be a LOT of "garage builds." Think of everyone you know with a Spikes lower AR, now imagine a Tapco suppressor kit on it.

Outlander Systems
11-11-16, 18:54
It isn't supposed to in Post-1865 America. State's Rights and all that shit.

Slippery slopes 'n such.

Maybe I am missing something, and I very well may be. If silencers are removed from the NFA and made a regular firearm, I just don't get how that would make them legal in states with bans on the books.

A standard 6920 is perfectly legal in most states but in NY, NJ and CA is not. I don't see federal law trumping state law here. Am I right?