PDA

View Full Version : I'm throwing this out there for suggestions.

murphy j
09-12-08, 07:47
I'm looking at putting together an M4 style rifle when I get home in Oct. I have my name on the list for an ADC upper, but not sure what lower and iron sights to use. I have a Bushmaster at home I could use the lower off of, but would prefer not to as I plan on giving it to my oldest boy when he turns 21. It also has the full size A2 stock that I'd have to change out. I want to keep my costs as minimal as possible, but don't want to sacrifice quality. I've been looking at the CD Defense lower as a possibility, but was interested in peoples experiences with it and others. I hope to be able to do a basic carbine course in the next year, so expect to run it as hard as I can. As far as irons go, I've been looking at the Troy flip up BUIS. It seems like quite a few people are running them and like them, but was wondering if there are other brands or combinations of brands (i.e. different front/rear combo) that I should look at. I'm not looking at optics at this time, it's just not in the budget. But when I do, I already have a good working knowledge of the Aimpoint M68 CCO and will probably go with that. Thank in advance guys:).

.357sigger
09-12-08, 08:05
I would throw in a vote for a LMT lower from G and R Tactical...as for the BUIS lots of guy run a troy buis....I myself have Midwest industries SPLP on my guns...

Here is the lower:
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=l7c2

here is the BUIS:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=SPLP&Search.x=0&Search.y=0

Hope that helps to start you off...:cool:

murphy j
09-12-08, 08:14
Thanks. I have looked at that lower, and by all accounts it's avery good one, but I'm not sure how much I'll have availible to spend on one. That's why I'm asking. The wife is gonna blow a gasket when she finds out about the upper:D. I hadn't really looked at that particular sight; how do you like it? And are you running it with a matching front or just a standard front sight post?

.357sigger
09-12-08, 08:26
I like it because it is very compact and low profile...it doesn't get in the way of anything....it has a large and small reticule that you can flip between...I use a std F marked front on all my guns...it gets the job done for me...others may recommend something else...just my .02:cool:

Failure2Stop
09-12-08, 09:55
I don't really have a suggestion for a BUIS other than recommend that you base your choice off of what optic you will be using and personal preference. I personally prefer a fixed BUIS from either LaRue or LMT for use with non-magnified optics. For magnified optics or for use with a 3X magnifier behind a 1X optic I have been satisfied with the Troy- though my use of them is inherantly limited to dedicated optic failure/appreciation practice.

As far as lowers I prefer LMT. Their LPK is second only to Colt, or at least as the data and experts on such matters indicate. I currently own 3 LMT lowers, 1 Eagle (ArmaLite), and 1 SunDevil (RRA LPK). I can confidently state that the LMT LPK is superior than either other LPK (assumed CMT LPK in Eagle). I have seen parts break in much greater quantity/frequency than in Colt or LMT lowers. The only reason I prefer LMT to Colt (price and availability aside) is the use of non-standard parts/pins on the commercial Colt lowers.

murphy j
09-12-08, 10:53
Thanks for the responses guy. I've heard good things about the LMT lowers, but know that it's always good to have as many opinions and option availible as possible. I'll definately be running just irons for awhile, but they'll have to be able to work with an Aimpoint in the future. How do I determine which sight will be best for that purpose? Is there some sort of 'rule of thumb' or is it simply some BUIS will work with certain optics and mounts and others won't?

Iraqgunz
09-12-08, 12:51
I see we have another SOCNET member here. Welcome Murphy!

Thanks for the responses guy. I've heard good things about the LMT lowers, but know that it's always good to have as many opinions and option availible as possible. I'll definately be running just irons for awhile, but they'll have to be able to work with an Aimpoint in the future. How do I determine which sight will be best for that purpose? Is there some sort of 'rule of thumb' or is it simply some BUIS will work with certain optics and mounts and others won't?

theJanitor
09-12-08, 12:59
Lower - standard LMT (single stage trigger, standard stock) or a stripped BM, CMMG, etc lower and a LMT LPK.

for the iron sights, i vote for the LMT over the Larue for you. i own both and i like the Larue very much, but it really is a BUIS, with no elevation adjustment. at least with the LMT, you can zero it properly and use it as a fully functional set of irons. then add a non-magnified optic later. if you plan on a magnified optic in the future, use the Troy as you would irons.

murphy j
09-12-08, 14:07
I see we have another SOCNET member here. Welcome Murphy!

Thanks Brother:).

murphy j
09-12-08, 14:10
Lower - standard LMT (single stage trigger, standard stock) or a stripped BM, CMMG, etc lower and a LMT LPK.

for the iron sights, i vote for the LMT over the Larue for you. i own both and i like the Larue very much, but it really is a BUIS, with no elevation adjustment. at least with the LMT, you can zero it properly and use it as a fully functional set of irons. then add a non-magnified optic later. if you plan on a magnified optic in the future, use the Troy as you would irons.
Thanks for the info. That's the kinda details on sights I was looking for, but wasn't sure what to ask.
Seems like all the votes so far have been for an LMT lower. Anybody else?

tiger seven
09-12-08, 14:26
I will cast another vote for LMT.

The L7C2 complete lower (standard trigger, with M4-style stock) is only $330, and considering the quality of the parts and components you're getting it's actually quite a deal in my opinion. Compare it to the list prices for the closest equivalent complete lowers from Bushmaster ($370), DPMS ($367.95) and Stag ($290) and you see what I mean. The LMT is an excellent lower with top quality parts in it, and it comes with a mil-spec receiver extension (unlike DPMS or BM) and LMT's version of the M4 stock is the best one available.

For BUIS, with non-magnified optics I prefer a fixed BUIS. I have both the LaRue and the LMT, and I prefer the LaRue. It's smaller, lighter and simpler. With maginifed optics, the Troy BUIS would probably be my first choice; but admittedly I have much less experience with ARs fitted with magnified optics and folding BUIS.

Hope that helps.

Derek

Gramps
09-12-08, 14:50
I would say when you get a chance, call and have a good talk with Grant at G&R Tactical. It is what he enjoys and does for a living, with a very serious attitude! He also seems to have a good LPK he has put together with the best of the best.
Good Luck

murphy j
09-12-08, 15:15
Thanks. All the posts I've read about the LMT lower and parts kits from Grant have been positive. I've been aware of the fact that LMT made quality products for some time now, but I'm starting to see that they have a larger following than I thought.

ZDL
09-12-08, 15:28
My vote

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=17936