PDA

View Full Version : Is the Eotech EXPS3-0 a good buy with a 3x magnifier?

firststrike
11-11-16, 20:20
For starters I have a 10.3" AR Pistol. I like the single dot Eotech EXPS3-0but like the idea of being able to reach out farther with a magnifier.

All the combination Eotech red dots have 2 (EXPS3-2) or 4 (EXPS3-4) dots on the optics with the 3X magnifier included.

Am I loosing a benefit by just going with the single dot EXPS3-0 with a 3X magnifier?
Or does it even matter since I'm only using it on a short 10.3" barrel?

Does anyone have any experience with these? This is my first AR and I want to get a good optic for it....Thanks

HardToHandle
11-11-16, 21:39
I am one of the thousands of Eotech owners who returned their sights after the company admitted to fraud and conspiracy for concealing a faulty product. Are you sufficiently aware of the Eotech history? I ask only as you appear to be a first time poster.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?177173-EOTech-Issuing-Refunds

Wake27
11-11-16, 22:19
I love mine. It stays on my primary rifle.

RobertTheTexan
11-11-16, 23:19
Firststrike,
I have an EOTech EXPS3-2 on my 10.3. SBR. I love it. Hands down the only optic I want to use in CQB or home defense. The only regret I have in buying the EOTech is that I bought the 3-2 reticle rather than the EXPS 2-0, (non-NVG compat.) but that's only because I'd rather have less clutter in the ring and I don't have nods.
I think when you understand why the EOTech was designed the way it was you'll understand how you should use it better. I'Il be perfectly honest when I bought mine, I really didn't know how to use it properly. I thought if have a dot for 50/200 yard range and a dot for the > 300 yd range then I would be good to go with a multi-purpose AR. I even planned on getting a magnifier later for the longer distance shots. Then I began to learn how the EOTech was meant to be used in close quarters battle (CQB) and realized I had fallen into the trap of making uninformed decisions. I also became friends with a gentleman who had used the EOTech extensively in combat and I listened & learned from him. With better understanding, I started training with my CQ rifle and using the optic in the way it was designed to be used, not focusing on the dot, but fighting in the ring. I also changed my mind about getting a magnifier. I left my EOTech to work in its sweet spot, which is CQB range and later I built another AR and put a Viper 1-4 on it. I like that for several reasons which I won't go into here.
I realize you only have one AR and are trying to meet different needs, a CQ (home defense?) weapon, but also something that can reach out a little. I think many of us have been there, 1 gun multiple roles. I will say that for me I decided to built a different weapon to meet each of those needs. However comma, your EOTech 3-0 with a magnifier will give you what you want. Not with the same clarity that a quality 1-4 scope would for give you, but you are also not giving up any acquisition speed. If you do go this route I'd recommend a solid swing away mount. I like the swing out and down so that the magnifier stays tight into the weapon, behind the brass deflector so it's out of the way.
I'd also recommend you go to your LGS or find a friend that has this setup and get your eye behind one and see for yourself. You're getting the EXPS 3, so you're using it with night vision? I also wish I had gotten the EXPS 2-0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brianc142
11-12-16, 00:58
Yes there was an admitted problem with Eotech. Will anyone on this forum have that problem? Probably not. CAG is still using them. Decide for yourself. To answer your question, the single dot is the best option.

RobertTheTexan
11-12-16, 01:18
One more thing, even after all the hoopla about EOTech came out my SOF friend mentioned in my updated post, still kept his EOTech and has absolutely no intention of sending it back and going with another optic. Just to reinforce what brianc142 stated above.

Hammer27
11-12-16, 05:53
Go with the EXPS3-0. Those other dots may be decent but they're not trued to your gun and your ammo. Zero at 100m and learn your holds from there. Should have no issues out to 300m.

RobertTheTexan
11-12-16, 06:49
Go with the EXPS3-0. Those other dots may be decent but they're not trued to your gun and your ammo. Zero at 100m and learn your holds from there. Should have no issues out to 300m.

Unless you've read something contrary to everything I've read and been taught, the only differences between the EXPS 3-0 and the EXPS 2-0 is the additional NV capability of the 3 by use of a 3rd button. The EXPS 3 had 3 buttons (hence the name EXPS 3) and the EXPS 2 (Non-NVG) has 2 buttons. The "E" difference, meaning the difference between the EXPS 2 and the XPS 2 is the buttons are on the side of the XPS 2 and they are on the front of the EXPS 2. This makes adjusting the hologram intensity much easier when using a magnifier or if you are using the "3" variant, hitting that 3rd NV button when using a PVS-14 or other NOD.
Where did you get information stating the EXPS 3 was "trued to your gun and ammo" and what grain ammo is it tuned to?

In fact I've never read anywhere that any EOTech is made for a specific caliber of weapon. That's why there's elevation and windage adjustments to move the hologram to zero. Granted we see them most often on 5.56 but I think that's because M4's, like the MK18 is a SBR built for close quarters combat, and the EOTech is designed for CQ as well. But I've seen EOTechs running on AK's, shotguns, etc. If there's something I've missed all this time let me know.

RobertTheTexan
11-12-16, 07:00
Now that I think about it you may be referring to the co-witness of the optic which has to do more with the height of the mount and optic than the reticle being tied to the platform. If this is true, then you are correct the EOTech with it's built in mount is built height wise to co witness with AR-15 iron sights.

Ryno12
11-12-16, 07:31
Unless you've read something contrary to everything I've read and been taught, the only differences between the EXPS 3-0 and the EXPS 2-0 is the additional NV capability of the 3 by use of a 3rd button. The EXPS 3 had 3 buttons (hence the name EXPS 3) and the EXPS 2 (Non-NVG) has 2 buttons. The "E" difference, meaning the difference between the EXPS 2 and the XPS 2 is the buttons are on the side of the XPS 2 and they are on the front of the EXPS 2. This makes adjusting the hologram intensity much easier when using a magnifier or if you are using the "3" variant, hitting that 3rd NV button when using a PVS-14 or other NOD.
Where did you get information stating the EXPS 3 was "trued to your gun and ammo" and what grain ammo is it tuned to?

In fact I've never read anywhere that any EOTech is made for a specific caliber of weapon. That's why there's elevation and windage adjustments to move the hologram to zero. Granted we see them most often on 5.56 but I think that's because M4's, like the MK18 is a SBR built for close quarters combat, and the EOTech is designed for CQ as well. But I've seen EOTechs running on AK's, shotguns, etc. If there's something I've missed all this time let me know.

Just to clarify some things, specs are also different between the 2 & the 3 models. For example, the EXPS3 model is waterproof to 10 meters whereas the 2 is spec'd at 3 meters.
Also, another big difference between the EXPS & the XPS is the addition of the 7mm QD riser on the EXPS.
You also stated the buttons are on the side one the XPS models & on the "front" of the EXPS. Actually, it's the other way around.

As far as caliber specific models go, the 4 dot units are calibrated to ".223 cal with 62 gr M855 FMJ at roughly 2,680 fps with a 14.5” barrel."
There is also a 300BLK 2 dot model. Now whether the there's actually a difference between the other 2 dot models beyond the markings, I have no idea.

OP, if you're looking to purchase an EXPS 3-0 w/ the magnifier, Optics Planet has their rebranded Eotech, OPMOD, that they sell as a set together. They are usually priced lower than the Eotech branded units. They are made by Eotech & are identical.

Here's a review on them.
https://youtu.be/k4xDfhNfn3g

RobertTheTexan
11-12-16, 07:58
Yep and that's what I get for posting too early in the morning. Funny in reading my post I didn't catch that, but for thanks for pointing it out.

Hammer27
11-12-16, 08:00
I'm referring to the reticle, not the difference in features between EXPS and XPS.
To rephrase "Get the EOtech with a 65MOA circle and a single 1MOA dot in the middle, don't get the ones with a 650MOA circle and bunch of little dots in a vertical line in the middle."

Even with the most standardized weapons and ammo, the bullet drop compensating reticles are never perfect. Look through any Marine's rifle book as he does his Table 1 shoot (known distance at 200, 300, 500m). The hold is always something slightly off from the reticle. Now take an Eotech or ACOG. "BDC for XXgr" or some such. With what kind of barrel? What twist rate? Was this done at 40*F or 75*F? Sometimes its there and sometimes it isn't. The whole concept of a BDC starts to fall apart when there's no standardization and just doesn't bear out in a reality in which everything is standardized.

Now that I think about it you may be referring to the co-witness of the optic which has to do more with the height of the mount and optic than the reticle being tied to the platform. If this is true, then you are correct the EOTech with it's built in mount is built height wise to co witness with AR-15 iron sights.

RobertTheTexan
11-12-16, 08:05
I'm referring to the reticle, not the difference in features between EXPS and XPS.
To rephrase "Get the EOtech with a 65MOA circle and a single 1MOA dot in the middle, don't get the ones with a 650MOA circle and bunch of little dots in a vertical line in the middle."

Even with the most standardized weapons and ammo, the bullet drop compensating reticles are never perfect. Look through any Marine's rifle book as he does his Table 1 shoot (known distance at 200, 300, 500m). The hold is always something slightly off from the reticle. Now take an Eotech or ACOG. "BDC for XXgr" or some such. With what kind of barrel? What twist rate? Was this done at 40*F or 75*F? The whole concept of a BDC starts to fall apart when there's no standardization and just doesn't bear out in a reality in which everything is standardized.

I totally agree. That's the best option and if I hadn't already painted my optic I would have tried to trade it for a 3-0. Aside from imperfect BDC reticles, like you pointed out, all those dots defeats the true purpose of the EOTech, IMO. Just because I can get an EOTech with a bunch of dots doesn't mean I need to. I just wished I had learned that before I got my 3-2.

Hammer27
11-12-16, 08:10
That's the best option and if I hadn't already painted my optic I would have tried to trade it for a 3-0.

99% sure you can still turn in your EOtech for the refund with paint on it.

RobertTheTexan
11-12-16, 09:10
99% sure you can still turn in your EOtech for the refund with paint on it.

Thx I'll check that out.