PDA

View Full Version : Subsonic loads

eperk
11-13-16, 19:09
Anybody have a subsonic recipe for
55gr. bullets using either RL15, Varget, IMR 8208, or CFE 223?
Thanks for any help,

markm
11-13-16, 20:18
Can't you find a pound of Trailboss? I'd be a little worried about case volume/ignition reliability with such a light load of rifle powder. I've run 55s with Trailboss.

Kansaswoodguy
11-13-16, 20:51
I'm with markm on this I'd pick up a pound of Trailboss and some 75gr bullets. I bought a pound of Trailboss myself about 6 months ago with the intent of playing with some subsonic loads but never did get around to it. As I'm sure you are aware none of the sub sonic 223 ammo will cycle the action on a AR

daniel87
11-13-16, 21:29
Use trailboss or single shot

Or

Buy a 300blk upper. Its designed to work with sub

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

bp7178
11-13-16, 23:14
Can't you find a pound of Trailboss? I'd be a little worried about case volume/ignition reliability with such a light load of rifle powder. I've run 55s with Trailboss.

Load data you used and does it cycle at all? I've never used pistol powder for rifle loads. What kind of fill volume are you getting in .223 cases?

eperk
11-14-16, 06:11
Never used Trailboss. So you guys think that and 75gr bullets are the way to go? I have access to any powder so that's not a problem. I am just interested in playing around with subsonic loads in 223. BTW I will be shooting an 18" midlength barrel. I will be firing suppressed but would like to see if they cycle in the same rifle unsuppressed.
I have never loaded subsonic or shot suppressed before so forgive me if I display total ignorance on the subject.

Kansaswoodguy
11-14-16, 09:21
I don't run suppressed so I'm not really played with it. What I do know is the heaviest bullets you can get are going to be the best in that application and typically what I've read is your only using a few grains of pistol powder. To play with this in .223 you would be way ahead to do it in a bolt gun do to none of the suppressed loads cycling an AR. The 300 Blackout was purpose built to run an AR suppressed subsonic. I would start reading all you can on 300 Blackout if subsonic is your interest.

eperk
11-14-16, 11:52
I am familiar with the Blackout. Don't want to fool with another caliber. I just wanted to know if it was possible in a semi auto 223.

markm
11-14-16, 17:38
Load data you used and does it cycle at all? I've never used pistol powder for rifle loads. What kind of fill volume are you getting in .223 cases?

I don't even remember. Definitely didn't cycle at all. I run 10 or 11 grains in .308 with 168s. But only did a handful of 55 gr soft points to shoot in the back yard, and have since forgotten what I whipped up.

whilst
11-18-16, 22:22
Get a $200 Ciener .22lr conversion unit and 60 gr Aquila subsonic .22 ammo. It's put up in .22 Short cases, so it looks sort of weird, but works just fine in 1 in 9" twist rifling. You'll get about 950 fps from a rifle, for the same 120 ft lbs as normal .22lr ammo from a rifle. There's really no point in bothering with 55 grs at 1000 fps. As long as you fire a couple of 223s every 200 or so rds of 22 ammo, you'll never have to worry about the bs bugabo of lead/wax build up in your gas system. The 223 gas system bleeds off enough of the .22lr powder to sound different than a normal .22lr rifle (with regular .22lr ammo in both) and of course, not having any sonic crack helps, too. If you use your off hand to hold shut the bolt, that helps a bit, too. If you have a 223 "can" on the rifle, the subsonic .22 will sound like a BB gun, no kidding.

Need 1 in 7" rifling twist for 75 gr bullets. Bullet's keyholing while still inside your suppressor are likely to cost you a fortune in destroyed baffles, 6 months of wait time to have them replaced, etc. might as well save 20c per shot on the 22lr/223 ammo cost difference, too.