PDA

View Full Version : Is this AR15 build compatible?

Falcon8334
11-14-16, 11:39
Hey im new here and im wondering how you guys view this AR build. Im not building it from scratch but just buying the assembled upper and lower, BCG, and charging handle, and ill be putting it all together

Upper - http://www.primaryarms.com/midwest-industries-upper-223-wylde-16-nitride-barrel-18-twist-14-g3-m-lok-rail-mi-n16m

BCG - http://www.primaryarms.com/blackwood-arms-bolt-carrier-group-black-nitride-bwa-bcg

Lower - http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/anderson-ar-15-complete-assembled-lower?a=1908196

Charging handle - http://www.primaryarms.com/anderson-manufacturing-standard-charging-handle-for-ar-15-am-27-assm

Will they all be compatible with each other?

Thanks

MistWolf
11-14-16, 12:11
Those parts should be compatible, but I think the following would be a better value-

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-mid-length-5-56-nato-1-7-stainless-stealth-freedom-m-lok-upper-no-bcg-or-ch.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar-15-complete-blem-lower-magpul-moe-edition-black-no-magazine.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-5-56-premium-hpt-mpi-full-auto-bolt-carrier-group-no-logo-39339.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/bcmgunfighter-charging-handle-5-56-mod-5-bcm-gfh5.html

Fatorangecat
11-14-16, 12:26
You really need to do some research before you waste your money on anything mentioned above with the exception of the BCM charging handle. For what you are about to spend you can have a substantially better firearm with a COLT OEM.

MistWolf
11-14-16, 14:11
The Colt OEM would be a better rifle. BUT, the OEM costs more, adding a free float tube means even more money and cutting the FSB to fit that length FF tube is more of a hassle. Does Falcon want to spend more money to get an OEM configured the way he wants it? If yes, then I'm all for it. If not, suggesting otherwise without being able to effectively explain why an OEM is a better rifle and is worth the extra cost and effort, is a waste

Hapworth
11-14-16, 14:35
...and cutting the FSB to fit that length FF tube is more of a hassle...OEM2. ;)

D_M
11-14-16, 14:58
Hey im new here and im wondering how you guys view this AR build. Im not building it from scratch but just buying the assembled upper and lower, BCG, and charging handle, and ill be putting it all together

Upper - http://www.primaryarms.com/midwest-industries-upper-223-wylde-16-nitride-barrel-18-twist-14-g3-m-lok-rail-mi-n16m

BCG - http://www.primaryarms.com/blackwood-arms-bolt-carrier-group-black-nitride-bwa-bcg

Lower - http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/anderson-ar-15-complete-assembled-lower?a=1908196

Charging handle - http://www.primaryarms.com/anderson-manufacturing-standard-charging-handle-for-ar-15-am-27-assm

Will they all be compatible with each other?

Thanks

Sure, but you're not getting much bang for your buck. All of that adds up to over $900 and you're stuck with a junk lower.

Do some research. If you don't want to build a rifle, you can put together a BCM rifle for a similar price. A brand new BCM lower is $400 and I've seen some BCM uppers as low as $500 without a BCG.

I built this rifle for less than $850.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5591/30805999752_31e3aaec8c_z.jpg

Fatorangecat
11-14-16, 15:06
I'm not going to explain why an OEM is better than a gun built from Anderson/PSA parts. This has been covered in detail over and over on this forum. An OEM is $780 and a Magpul SL furniture set is $80. I wouldn't trade my Colt for two PSA rifles.

MistWolf
11-14-16, 15:07
OEM2. ;)

Ok, ya got me there :jester:

Uprange41
11-14-16, 15:12
It should all work together, but there seems to be some needless expenditure on the upper, and some needless skimping on the lower and BCG. I'm curious to know what the purpose is for the rifle, and what the budget ceiling is.

MistWolf
11-14-16, 15:14
I'm not going to explain why an OEM is better than a gun built from Anderson/PSA parts. This has been covered in detail over and over on this forum. An OEM is $780 and a Magpul SL furniture set is $80. I wouldn't trade my Colt for two PSA rifles.

I've been pricing OEMs. $780 is the exception, not the norm. OEMs tend to start at $850 plus tax, license and registration. Maybe you can order one online for less, but don't forget to add shipping and handling plus transfer fee to that price.

If you cannot, or will not, explain why spend more money on a Colt, why bother? There is a lot of information on this forum, but it's not always easy to get the signal for all the noise and face it- much of it is "Buy a Colt cuz we said so".

I'm not against suggesting a Colt. It's the Easy Button. But it's a lot of work to explain it every time this question come up and there is no single source of information to refer a newbie to

GH41
11-14-16, 15:22
I wouldn't put $900+ in a bastard rifle when for $300 more you could have all BCM. Upper from BCM and lower from Grant.

Uprange41
11-14-16, 15:24
I've been pricing OEMs. $780 is the exception, not the norm. OEMs tend to start at $850 plus tax, license and registration. Maybe you can order one online for less, but don't forget to add shipping and handling plus transfer fee to that price.

Considering OP's build is running around $915 before shipping from multiple sources and one FFL fee, an OEM2 for $850 with a Midwest two-piece free float for $170 and a second-hand stock and trigger guard is completely within reason. OP's rifle isn't going to come out significantly cheaper than a Colt, so it makes sense to me to recommend one. And that's if he even has a purpose requiring a free float... I'd suspect a 6920 or basic BCM assembly on a blem BCM lower would suffice.

MistWolf
11-14-16, 16:18
That's a good point. I was mostly focused on saving Falcon some cash while staying with what he was looking at

Iraqgunz
11-14-16, 16:32
There is no way in this current market that I would cobble together something like that at that price. It makes little sense.

mjpgolf1
11-14-16, 16:55
I would steer clear of the parts you're looking at OP. That's not because they are necessarily junk, well Anderson is, but moreso because we are going to see some price dropping here very soon. I would bet that during this Black Friday season we are going to see some really great deals on some nice stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if most manufacturers ramped up their production to keep up with a panic enduced buying spree. So now that the tables have turned with that situation they are going to need to liquidate and prices are going to have to be extremely attractive, not only because of overstocked inventory and no panic buying, but because most people have already bought what they needed to get thru a few years of what could've been an ugly time for gun owners. So in order for us to even consider making any extra purchases now the price must be right.

As for the Colt suggestions I'm not at all a fan so I'm not going down that route. There are too many companies putting out high end ARs and AR accessories for me to even think about considering the sloppy cosmetic mess that Colt puts out on the shelves. Their guns look like they have been used in three tours of duty overseas when they are put up for sale and I hate that. Lots of companies are giving us as a consumer the option of having a Proffesional grade rifle that also has perfect fit and finish and that is important to me. I like my stuff to look as good as it works and now a days companies are making that a possibility. I'm positive that is not how a lot of people here think and some folks don't care about cosmetics on their rifles. But I like high end luxury items in every aspect of my life and my rifles are no exception to that.

Jsp10477
11-14-16, 17:45
https://clydearmory.com/colt-le6920-oem1.html

In stock for $769. Order a trigger guard, stock, and hand guard while you're at it.

Hapworth
11-14-16, 18:33
I would steer clear of the parts you're looking at OP. That's not because they are necessarily junk, well Anderson is, but moreso because we are going to see some price dropping here very soon. I would bet that during this Black Friday season we are going to see some really great deals on some nice stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if most manufacturers ramped up their production to keep up with a panic enduced buying spree. So now that the tables have turned with that situation they are going to need to liquidate and prices are going to have to be extremely attractive, not only because of overstocked inventory and no panic buying, but because most people have already bought what they needed to get thru a few years of what could've been an ugly time for gun owners. So in order for us to even consider making any extra purchases now the price must be right.Agreed -- this is likeliest course for the foreseeable buying future. The election surprise reverses almost every anticipated trend.

As for the Colt suggestions I'm not at all a fan so I'm not going down that route. There are too many companies putting out high end ARs and AR accessories for me to even think about considering the sloppy cosmetic mess that Colt puts out on the shelves. Their guns look like they have been used in three tours of duty overseas when they are put up for sale and I hate that. Lots of companies are giving us as a consumer the option of having a Proffesional grade rifle that also has perfect fit and finish and that is important to me. I like my stuff to look as good as it works and now a days companies are making that a possibility. I'm positive that is not how a lot of people here think and some folks don't care about cosmetics on their rifles. But I like high end luxury items in every aspect of my life and my rifles are no exception to that.This seems massively too broad an assessment of Colt's current crop; could you lend more insight into your sample size and assessment standards? Cosmetically, my Colts equal my DDs and BCMs; either I'm very lucky with Colt, or very unlucky with DD and BCM, or am too ignorant to see the difference (can't rule it out ;)).

Are there makers out their offering increased aesthetic refinement compared to Colt? Sure -- starting at double Colt prices, for perhaps better appearance but no better function.

If we're talking money's no object, sure, there are a lot of ways to go; since this thread leans toward bang-for-buck, we should compare apples-to-apples, and Colt takes that easy.

mjpgolf1
11-14-16, 19:26
Agreed -- this is likeliest course for the foreseeable buying future. The election surprise reverses almost every anticipated trend.

This seems massively too broad an assessment of Colt's current crop; could you lend more insight into your sample size and assessment standards? Cosmetically, my Colts equal my DDs and BCMs; either I'm very lucky with Colt, or very unlucky with DD and BCM, or am too ignorant to see the difference (can't rule it out ;)).

Are there makers out their offering increased aesthetic refinement compared to Colt? Sure -- starting at double Colt prices, for perhaps better appearance but no better function.

If we're talking money's no object, sure, there are a lot of ways to go; since this thread leans toward bang-for-buck, we should compare apples-to-apples, and Colt takes that easy.

Glad to hear you've had great luck with yours. For sure I've never had a Colt anywhere near me that had the same fit and finish as a Daniel Defense. I can't speak for a factory BCM rifle as I've never had a complete rifle in my possession. I've seen complete lowers on a mix match upper or vice versa with BCM, but never a complete rifle to compare. Regardless the function is superb of Colt and some folks only care about that so it's strictly personal opinion and preference.

Im into companies like Battle Arms, SLR, Vseven rifleworks, and other high end manufacturers so I'm more in the camp of money isn't an object, to a point of course. I also much prefer the modern AR and wouldn't take a second look at any of the "basic" configuration ARs. I like rails that stretch to the end of the barrel, Titanium parts, and modern billet receiver designs. So I'm the wrong person the ask about any rifle in that original style. They are just ugly in my eyes. But I've never heard anyone say that Colt rifles are of the same cosmetic quality as any DD or BCM though. Ymmv though and again it's irrelevant for some that are only concerned about function because the Colt, with the exception of that dated carbine gas system, will run with the best of them. Just not even close to my cup of tea.

Stickman
11-14-16, 19:31
There is no way in this current market that I would cobble together something like that at that price. It makes little sense.

He is probably reading another board where people justify garbage.

crusader377
11-14-16, 20:20
To the OP, I personally would wait 2-3 months and see how AR prices and availability goes. With Trump's win my hunch is that AR prices will trend downwards and you might be able to take a step up in quality with adding little or no cost.

For the proposed build, the MI upper is good to go but MI sells FN and Criterion barreled uppers as well for only $50-$75 more and the price listed is starting to get close to a BCM as well. Another option is a SOLGW upper and lower separately which could be done for a little over $1000. The Colt OEM2 is a great option as well.

The Anderson Lower I have questions with due to the vagueness of the Receiver Extension material and unknown buffer used.

For the price listed I would recommend the OP to get a factory pure carbine due to resale value alone.

stank
11-14-16, 21:28
For the money you are spending on that upper and bolt carrier. Both Sionics and BCM uppers with standard FSB complete with bolt carrier come in Less than what you would spend 650.00 - 660.00 (minus hand guard for BCM). Both are known good quality uppers. This is what I would do. I have gone down the hobby grade AR rabbit hole, and discovered the hard way it is less expensive in the long run to buy quality, rather than having to upgrade/fix. Welcome to the site, just know that these guys will tell you what you need to hear, not what you want to hear. Oh and if you have already purchased, don't fear, there are resources and information to help you fix/upgrade when/if needed.