PDA

View Full Version : Trijicon Red or Amber??

usp45ss
09-12-08, 17:32
I've decided to pick up some Trijicon optics for my new SR-15E3 and a 6.8 build. I think I'm going to go with a TA-33R8 for the sr15 and a TA21 for the 6.8. My question is which color fiber optic to get. Red or Amber? What are the benefits/tradeoffs for each?

Parabellum9x19mm
09-12-08, 17:54
i like amber. its easier to pick up in low light than red, which can seem dim when there is little ambient light around.

the bad thing about amber is that there is less contrast, and can wash out against light backgrounds. i personally haven't had an issue with this, even shooting in snowy conditions, but others have reported it. it might be more of an issue in desert conditions perhaps?

Jerm
09-12-08, 18:37
I prefer amber as well.

Just seems to stand out more in most conditions.

The only time the illumination seemed to wash out for me on the TR21 was when in the dark(most illumination being provided by the tritium) and aiming into a very light/bright area.

Using a flashlight at night could cause the amber to wash out against certain backgrounds perhaps?

deercop
09-12-08, 19:49
I have a slight color vision deficiency, enough to limit my choice of MOS in the Army, but not enough to keep me out of LE (go figure). Amber just "jumps" out to me much more noticeably than red. I can still see the red, but in comparison, I'm slower with it. So obviously I chose the amber, but in the TA33-8 flavor (for less than $700 NIB also:D).

TOrrock
09-13-08, 01:03
If amber works for you better than red, then brother, no debate, go amber.

I've personally found it to wash out on me, so I prefer red on my ACOG's.

LettersFromEarth
09-15-08, 08:06
As someone who came up only using Irons -- I found when switching over to optics that it was easier for me to "target focus" with an amber reticle. With a red reticle ,or a dot in this case, I found I was still trying to use it like iron sights and "front sight (dot) focus" insted of focusing on the target.

IdahoCorsair
09-15-08, 12:50
Funny. I can't stand amber. I LOVE the red chevron ... TA31F.

VooDoo6Actual
09-15-08, 17:30
Red for me as well, amber has a tendency to wash out at dawn and dusk...

Pilgrim
09-15-08, 19:41
I prefer the amber to the red. I amber just jumps right out at me.

My eyes just don't seem to like red; EO-tech, Aimpoint, Trijicon, etc... red is just not for me.

As to aiming indicator colors in general, I like green the best... but that don't help much if we are talking Trijicon now does it?

twodollarbill
09-15-08, 19:43
Funny. I can't stand amber. I LOVE the red chevron ... TA31F.

RED Chevrons for me too......

USMC03
09-16-08, 21:55
If amber works for you better than red, then brother, no debate, go amber.

I've personally found it to wash out on me, so I prefer red on my ACOG's.

My experiences mirror Templar's:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=5753

I have used amber in the past, but have had it wash out on me or become difficult to pick up on some backgrounds (amber reticle + 400 yard card board target + dirt berm (dirt = close to cardboard in color) background.......

Red stands out much better to my eyes than amber and provides more contrast against everything I have come across with the exception of orange targets....but amber doesn't provide a very good contrast on orange either).

S/F,
Jeff

IroquoisSnakePlissken
09-20-08, 12:38
Red here too. It seems to jump out at me more.

fabulous45s
10-04-08, 15:40
It's all a matter of what your eyes and brain prefer. I've spent a fair amount of time with both, in anywhere from deep forest to snow to desert and amber offers me the best contrast, but I'm in the minority in my circle. Most of my guys prefer the red.

WallaS
10-04-08, 15:46
I like red personally on my 2 ACOGs and Accupoints, but if you have any type of color blindness the amber would be better.

As others have pointed out the amber appears brighter in low light but has a tendency to wash out in light backgrounds.