View Full Version : Hoping to find a 1-4x variable with these criteria

Shagnasty
11-15-16, 17:08
MUST HAVE:
1-4x
24mm objective
first focal plane reticle
capped turrets
generous eye box (I shoot a rough 'n tumble 2 gun match that forces us into a lot of odd positions)
illuminated reticle with day-time visible brightness
Under $1k retail (Unless it is through Trijicon as I have a favorable discount there)
No BDC's, or Mil-dots or other ranging reticles. KISS principle

Preferred:
German #4 crosshairs, or heavy duplex crosshairs, or dot-in-circle reticle, or triangle on post.
"True" 1x magnification
good low light performance as I might get the itch to predator hunt at dusk

Sorry to just dump the responsibility of finding my next optic on you guys, but my sole experience with magnified's has been a Leupold Vari-x III and that was 10 years ago. Getting lost in all these options and need guidance.

GH41
11-15-16, 17:28
http://www.theriflescopestore.com/leupold-111230-vx-r-riflescope-1-25-4x20mm-firedot-duplex-illuminated-reticle/

Shagnasty
11-15-16, 17:42
http://www.theriflescopestore.com/leupold-111230-vx-r-riflescope-1-25-4x20mm-firedot-duplex-illuminated-reticle/

Wow, I'm thinking FPNI, and that price is amazing. Leupold Quality at Vortex prices? might as well consider it sold!

GH41
11-15-16, 18:26
You can probably find it for less. I just put up the first link I ran across with a picture of the reticle.

MegademiC
11-15-16, 20:16
That's not a crazy good price, and it's not 1x. The patrol at that price is good, but it's not a patrol model. Also 2nd focal plane

Shagnasty
11-15-16, 22:17
Ah shoot, good catch on the second FP. the search continues.

dmd08
11-15-16, 22:55
I'd drop the ffp requirement in a 1-4.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

seedubs1
11-16-16, 06:51
Why would you want / need FFP with "No BDC's, or Mil-dots or other ranging reticles. KISS principle?" Makes no sense. If you have no ranging or BDC, then FFP is irrelevant. The whole point of FFP is that your ranging, BDC, etc... is consistent at different magnifications.

In fact, all FFP will do in a 1-4 with no BDC and/or ranging reticle is shrink the dot/triangle/whatever and make it too small at 1x and/or too big at 4x.

OP.....your requirements make no sense.

GH41
11-16-16, 07:28
Why would you want / need FFP with "No BDC's, or Mil-dots or other ranging reticles. KISS principle?" Makes no sense. If you have no ranging or BDC, then FFP is irrelevant. The whole point of FFP is that your ranging, BDC, etc... is consistent at different magnifications.

In fact, all FFP will do in a 1-4 with no BDC and/or ranging reticle is shrink the dot/triangle/whatever and make it too small at 1x and/or too big at 4x.

OP.....your requirements make no sense.

It make even less sense if you look at a 1X4 as a 1 or 4X scope. The variable range between 1 and four is all but useless. No difference between 1st and 2nd FP at max power and no real use for ranging at 0 magnification.

Failure2Stop
11-16-16, 08:38
FFP/SFP only matters if you have a target/drop reference built into the reticle, and even then, on a 1-4, it doesn't really matter.
I was early on the "FFP or Bust" bandwagon, but fell off with regard to anything under 8x on the top-end. Focusing on FFP with a traditional crosshair is doing nothing but making matters more complicated and adding cost.

I'm not going to tell you that you're wrong for wanting a simple reticle, but if you plan on shooting past 150 meters at anything smaller than a BCC target, a drop reference is really handy. If Marines can grasp the BDC of an ACOG (which is pretty much the worst BDC out these days), I'm sure that you will be able to (based on your crayon and glue consumption average, of course). But, your choice, and I won't harp on it.

Daylight bright illumination is an electronic method to make the reticle readily apparent against a bright background. This can be easily overcome by having a bold reticle, and a bold reticle will show up better when using a WML unless the brightness is at an otherwise overwhelming level in dark conditions to start with.

Part of what makes a scope work well at low light is glass quality and coatings. These are not inexpensive, and those that lie in this area tend to retail for a little north of 1k.

Why are you dictating objective lens size? So long as the tube is 30mm or 34mm, you're going to be able to easily mount the optic. I would be more interested in constraining overall length and/or weight than something like the front lens. That said, most are going to be 24mm, but no need to anchor on that. Same thing with capped turrets: if the turrets have a good locking mechanism, then they are going to be fine, capped or not. Rather than dictating the method, simply give a requirement: turrets don't lose zero when subjected to rough handling, or are easily checked for shift.

Frankly, from your description, I think you should look into a T2 or H2 (or other decent red-dot) with a good magnifier. It best hits the concept that you seem to desire.

Digital_Damage
11-16-16, 11:02
As others have pointed out asking for a duplex on FFP is not going to make sense, it just adds cost.

Finding a quality 1-4 Illuminated duplex is not going to happen. Lots of mildot/TMR options tho.

Hammer27
11-16-16, 11:15
US Optics SR4C fulfills most of what you want.

ExplorinInTheWoods
11-16-16, 20:51
FFP in low power scopes don't mean much other than it being like a dot or eotech at close range. I run a VCOG and I have the german and triangle TR24's. Honestly I'm not using the BDC at 1x, that's just silly. If I need to use the BDC I'm cranking it to 6x. I do crank it to 2 3 or 4 sometimes if I have a plate rack or a little sammy target in 3 gun but if I need that BDC for steel at 3-400 yds I'm cranking to 6x. I love my TR24 with the green triangle. I can hit 8inch steel at 250 with boring consistency. I will say the german is easier to do so and I have nailed jack rabbits out to 315 with it but the triangle is king in close. If it were me and you get a good triji discount get the tr25 with a triangle. it's 2.8 moa on max setting, it's their best reticle in close great glass and its trijicon tough.

krm375
11-17-16, 00:17
http://www.nickel-ag.com/en/products/scopes/1425.aspx

Nickel is a company that has been around a long time, the price point is higher than you would like, but they only make high end glass. No mil dot reticles that I am aware of. They don't have the distribution of the big names, but their optics are high quality.

kukworld
11-20-16, 23:48
Spend a little more and get the nightforce nxs 1-4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk