PDA

View Full Version : Firearms Insurance

Bogart
11-15-16, 19:32
I'm thinking about purchasing more insurance coverage for my firearms and was just wondering what, if any, type of insurance that you guys have for your firearms, ammunition, etc. My insurance agent told me that if I wanted to pay for more coverage about the base amount for firearms they would need an itemized list of items, including serial numbers. I was just curious if you guys have insurance coverage for your firearms and if so, what company/companies would you recommend and do any of them allow additional coverage without serial numbers.

Thanks!

(Mods, forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere; I don't recall ever reading anything about this on here before.)

skywalkrNCSU
11-15-16, 19:39
This is who I use. No need to itemize unless you have some seriously valuable stuff and reasonable rates

https://www.easterninsurance.com/insurance-quotes/personal-insurance/historic-firearms

Vandal
11-15-16, 19:55
I have additional coverage for my firearms through my renter's policy. It is itemized with serial numbers including the serials of my optics. I treat them just like my electronics.

Shorts
11-15-16, 20:14
Yes. On my policy it's called a Valuable Personal Property rider. (I have my appraised jewelry on this rider too). It did require an itemized list and SNs but it was easy to put in place. Making the list took the longest (it was nice to finally inventory). It's relatively cheap considering the amount that was totaled up. Ammo is not covered. However firearms and accessories are.

FlyingHunter
11-15-16, 20:21
Assuming you've already invested in a high quality safe?

Tigereye
11-15-16, 21:51
I did have mine insured with an additional rider on my homeowner's policy. They required itemized list and serial numbers and would not insure anything in a trust. I now have the insurance through the NRA and serial numbers, etc. not required. It was also a little cheaper than my homeowner's and allows the trust.

contax_shooter
11-16-16, 06:38
Tagged for interest.

Anyone have experience through USAA?

KalashniKEV
11-16-16, 07:32

I have a USAA Valuable Personal Property policy for my weapons and my timepieces.

Luckily, I've not had to use it, but it isn't very expensive.

Firefly
11-16-16, 07:48
NRA insurance says "up to $2,500".

Is that per gun or all total?

GH41
11-16-16, 07:49
I'd like to know what you guys are paying. Years ago I was quoted 10% of assigned value per year.

Skyyr
11-16-16, 08:15
NRA insurance says "up to $2,500".

Is that per gun or all total?

That's what's included with your base membership, and that's total.

You can buy additional insurance via Lockton (the provider for NRA insurance) at about ~$1 per $100 of coverage. Deductible is $100, no questions asked, and no serial numbers need to be provided. They do require that guns over $5k (IIRC) need to be itemized on your policy, though.

contax_shooter
11-16-16, 08:36
I have a USAA Valuable Personal Property policy for my weapons and my timepieces.

I'm also using the VPP policy for my expensive camera equipment from when I was living in the barracks. I guess I could just upload pictures, receipts and tag serial #'s along with the value. Didn't know if there was a separate option required and forgot to look into it when I returned to CONUS.

Firefly
11-16-16, 08:49
That's what's included with your base membership, and that's total.

You can buy additional insurance via Lockton (the provider for NRA insurance) at about ~$1 per $100 of coverage. Deductible is $100, no questions asked, and no serial numbers need to be provided. They do require that guns over $5k (IIRC) need to be itemized on your policy, though.

Hmm......Something to look into

Jwknutson17
11-16-16, 09:16
My home owners only covers 3k total on firearms. I was able to add additional coverage specifically for firearms at 10 dollars per 10k of coverage per month. So 50k would be 50 bucks a month and so on. No serial numbers or list needed. Doesn't cover ammo. This is through my Farmers policy.

Eurodriver
11-16-16, 11:34

Bingo.

I upload pics and descriptions of all my kit. It's all NFA shit anyway so the gov knows. Plus I'm not weird like some of you all with 45 guns and stuff :)

Bogart
11-16-16, 11:50
Hey guys thanks for the quick responses. First, I should have mentioned that I do have a safe and everything is locked up in that. My primary reason for the insurance would probably fire over theft, but that's just an added bonus. When I first started looking into this we were living under a very anti-gun administration so I was quite leary of providing anyone with S/Ns, but considering recent events I may be more open to that. The NRA insurance sounds quite appealing though.

SteyrAUG
11-16-16, 18:38
Bingo.

I upload pics and descriptions of all my kit. It's all NFA shit anyway so the gov knows. Plus I'm not weird like some of you all with 45 guns and stuff :)

Wow, I remember having 45 guns in my collection. It was a pretty cool time, watching COSMOS on PBS and researching guns for the next gun show when I had my homework done.

:laugh:

Firefly
11-16-16, 18:59
Bingo.

Okay.....YOU go up against a Pre-Cambrian lifeform, then come back and talk your smack. :p

KalashniKEV
11-16-16, 20:04
Wow, I remember having 45 guns in my collection.

45 kinda blew past when I got my C&R... getting from there to triple diggs really took a bit longer than I thought because I needed to find the right example of everything.

Alex V
11-16-16, 20:20
I added a Valuable Items rider to my Homeowners insurance policy. The base policy only covers $2,500, that's not even enough for one scope.

I had to itemize everything and provide SNs. I took a photo of each gun, put everything in a spreadsheet and labeled everything. They said I went overboard but they cover it for the full price I have em so time well spent.

MAUSER202
11-16-16, 20:31
I did have mine insured with an additional rider on my homeowner's policy. They required itemized list and serial numbers and would not insure anything in a trust. I now have the insurance through the NRA and serial numbers, etc. not required. It was also a little cheaper than my homeowner's and allows the trust.
This. I have the same insurance. No serials required unless you have a claim.

Eurodriver
11-16-16, 20:33
Okay.....YOU go up against a Pre-Cambrian lifeform, then come back and talk your smack. :p

You can only shoot one at a time ;)

I don't get the tons of guns thing. I thought 45 was a ridiculous number, which is why I used it but I fully believe that anyone owning more than 10 guns is being ridiculous. 45+ is just nutty. Seriously. There's just no justification for that. If it was easy to suppress and RMR a G43, and I nutted up for a USO 1-8x I would probably only have two firearms.

The insurance bill on that has to be insane. USAA is like $16/$1000 coverage per year I think?

Ouroborous
11-16-16, 20:40
Using USAA for my kit. It's all attached to my renters insurance and is really convenient to update online to add new items. Aside from guns I have NOD's, lights, and lasers on the policy. Unfortunately you can't add body armor, ammo, or mags but they did say that other gear like plate carriers would be covered under my standard renters policy.

jpmuscle
11-16-16, 20:46
I think I need to get on this USAA train after reading all this.

Firefly
11-16-16, 20:49
In all seriousness, I have a pretty modest stash. I just got what I really really wanted and along the way have some stuff because I was an 80s kid.

I know guys who have just piles upon piles and it is sorta sad.

You coulda gone to a really good college for a few years, had a hell of a time in some freaky deaky part of the world, or bought a nice car....but these guys think they are the 3% Wolverine Last Hope.

ETA if I had Bill Gates money, I'd put a good chunk into some serious thermal/NV

skywalkrNCSU
11-16-16, 21:07
You guys that are paying through your home owners policy should check out other options that are stand alone policies. When I went with mine I checked with Allstate (home owners insurance) and it was a lot more expensive plus I had to provide them with all sorts of documentation. USAA might be an exception since they are know to be better than average but who knows, might save you a few bucks.

JoshNC
11-16-16, 22:33
This is who I use. No need to itemize unless you have some seriously valuable stuff and reasonable rates

https://www.easterninsurance.com/insurance-quotes/personal-insurance/historic-firearms

Same. They are great.

KalashniKEV
11-17-16, 02:51
You can only shoot one at a time ;)

No... you can only shoot one at a time ;)

I know guys who have just piles upon piles and it is sorta sad.

You coulda gone to a really good college for a few years, had a hell of a time in some freaky deaky part of the world, or bought a nice car....

You can still do all that stuff.

Guns and vacations are cheap (school is not). Kids are expensive.

Also if you're buying the right guns they should appreciate or at least hold their value. Same thing with timepieces. And both are easy to liquidate at their actual known value with no middle men, unlike expensive jewelry.

You guys that are paying through your home owners policy should check out other options that are stand alone policies. When I went with mine I checked with Allstate (home owners insurance) and it was a lot more expensive plus I had to provide them with all sorts of documentation. USAA might be an exception since they are know to be better than average but who knows, might save you a few bucks.

Cheap insurance is cheap insurance.

skywalkrNCSU
11-17-16, 08:44
Cheap insurance is cheap insurance.

That completely depends. To act like the cost of one insurance plan makes it better than another on cost alone is foolish. If you have the proper documentation to show ownership and you use a reputable insurance company you will likely see the same end result. Another benefit of a separate policy for firearms is a lower deductible. If my house gets broken into and for some reason they get access to my guns I would much rather pay the deductible for my firearms insurance and not even bother with my homeowners policy which has a MUCH higher deductible. I mean, I don't really care if you overpay for your insurance or not, no skin off my back.

Shorts
11-17-16, 21:37
Tagged for interest.

Been w USAA since '04, they've got my H/O, VPP and Auto policies. My VPP policy runs $139/yr. The bundle/discounts help my premiums.

contax_shooter
01-15-17, 08:50
Reviving this thread.

I just updated my USAA insurance information, forgot to change my physical address from Germany back to CONUS (oops).
What criteria are you guys placing NVG equipment under? Is it firearms related?

Sensei
01-15-17, 13:28
Reviving this thread.

I just updated my USAA insurance information, forgot to change my physical address from Germany back to CONUS (oops).
What criteria are you guys placing NVG equipment under? Is it firearms related?

I was told that it is electronics unless mounted to a firearm.

contax_shooter
01-17-17, 06:50
I was told that it is electronics unless mounted to a firearm.

Thanks, is it advisable to include all of the NVG related equipment? Essentially insuring anything that is physically attached to the optical device during operations (helmet, mount, and accessories).

rocsteady
01-20-17, 05:16
Updated and added to the renter's policy that I had already with USAA. For an additional $96 per year I added $6,500 worth of firearms coverage. All I provided was the description each gun, no serial numbers or anything like that. They did suggest to keep photos for proof of ownership if something were to happen but they will use existing pricing for replacement coverage if it ever became necessary. The agent was actually looking up some of the things to see what the market price was currently when we were deciding on value.

Sensei
01-23-17, 19:23
Thanks, is it advisable to include all of the NVG related equipment? Essentially insuring anything that is physically attached to the optical device during operations (helmet, mount, and accessories).

Good question. I did not ask that detailed of a question. I took away that anything interfacing with a gun is a firearm. So, a PSV-14 on a helmet is electronics but the same device mounted to your gun is a firearm.

All my shit is serial numbered, photo'ed, and uploaded to a cloud. I have multiple security measures throughout my house (alarm, safes, hidden cameras, dogs, exotic snakes, security panther, sea bass with mounted laser beams - all very ill tempted...)