PDA

View Full Version : M855A1 Identification

Kdubya
11-15-16, 21:12
So, I have an opportunity to pick up some M855A1 at a good price. I know people have come across pulled bullets, and think a select few have actually encountered genuine loadings. Anyone have info on the Brass used, Headstamps, Etc? Frankly, I haven't spent much time reading up on the EPR, as I didn't expect to find any in the foreseeable future. I've got to ask the guy some more questions, but he's selling them on 10 round stripper clips. If they're genuine, I still understand they've gone through a few iterations. So, any way to identify what "generation" they might be?

Thanks in advance!

markm
11-17-16, 18:18
Is this the "proof" load variant? If so... Why would you want this stuff? I'd like the bullets to play with, but damned sure wouldn't shoot this stuff in my guns.

Kdubya
11-17-16, 19:07
Is this the "proof" load variant? If so... Why would you want this stuff? I'd like the bullets to play with, but damned sure wouldn't shoot this stuff in my guns.

That's what I'm trying to deduce. I'm the same way. It'd be nice to have some, but I'm cautious of actually shooting them without knowing if they're proofs. It's supposedly the real deal loaded ammo. Not proofs. Any way to tell? If I really wanted to shoot them I could always pull the bullets and reload them.

bfoosh006
11-25-16, 23:07
Deleted

Kdubya
11-25-16, 23:18
BTW... I am fairly certain possession of ANY M855A1 is a felony.

I sure as heck wouldn't buy it.... and certainly not discuss it.

This is also something I was wondering. Even at the guy's pricing I don't think it is worth it. No idea what loading it actually is, or if it even should be out in the civilian market. Although, there are a number of people who've done gel tests with the EPR in both 223 and 308. Well known reviewers at that. So, I'm not entirely convinced it's illegal. But, again, I've essentially decided the money could better be spent elsewhere.

sinlessorrow
01-19-17, 14:26
BTW... I am fairly certain possession of ANY M855A1 is a felony.

I sure as heck wouldn't buy it.... and certainly not discuss it.

Why would it be a felony to possess?

It's copper and steel, neither make for a AP round by ATF definition.

A bit old OP, but test muzzle velocity. If it's pulling around 2,900 FPS from a 14.5" barrel your fine.

The "proof load" variants were pushing around 3,100 FPS out of a 14.5" barrel.

TomMcC
01-19-17, 15:53
Why would it be a felony to possess?

It's copper and steel, neither make for a AP round by ATF definition.

A bit old OP, but test muzzle velocity. If it's pulling around 2,900 FPS from a 14.5" barrel your fine.

The "proof load" variants were pushing around 3,100 FPS out of a 14.5" barrel.

Because it was stolen from the U.S military. I do believe they are the only ones who can legitimately obtain it.

Bret
01-25-17, 15:53
There's a good bit for sale on GunBroker.
http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=m855a1
Even if it was stolen, I don't think that having a few cartridges would equate to a felony.