PDA

View Full Version : New US manfacturer for SOPMOD stocks?

contax_shooter
11-16-16, 11:37
http://cdnnsports.us2.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=99c3876c30b42968d4190988b&id=a7249e9157&e=c6c611151e

What's the deal with these things? Very cheap if these are real. I'm curious if these are rejected stocks being sold off.

Stickman
11-16-16, 12:48
http://cdnnsports.us2.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=99c3876c30b42968d4190988b&id=a7249e9157&e=c6c611151e

What's the deal with these things? Very cheap if these are real. I'm curious if these are rejected stocks being sold off.

Look at the front end where there appears to be a small joint or male connection into the cheekweld. That isn't on any of my real SOPMOD stocks. More than likely it is airsoftish, meaning the wrong plastics, thinner and more fragile.

556BlackRifle
11-16-16, 15:24
I'm with Stick and Robert on this one. Looks like a chicom knockoff misrepresented as USA made. I don't have an LMT but I do have a couple of B5s and notice two things right off the bat. 1) As Stick pointed out, the battery tube / cheek weld notch, and 2) the QD point does not appear to be anti-rotation as it is on my B5. Airsoft seems like a real possibility.

RobertTheTexan
11-16-16, 17:13
2) the QD point does not appear to be anti-rotation as it is on my B5. Airsoft seems like a real possibility.

Good catch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evel Baldgui
11-16-16, 18:59
would not bother....

Moshjath
11-16-16, 19:04
I want to say the FEDLOG price on a SOPMOD stock was something like $15.

That being said, I'm perfectly happy with my B5's.

RobertTheTexan
11-16-16, 19:37
I want to say the FEDLOG price on a SOPMOD stock was something like $15.

That being said, I'm perfectly happy with my B5's.

$15 for the LMT SOPMOD?

bad aim
11-17-16, 21:21
$15 for the LMT SOPMOD?

$13, from B5, which got the contract.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/06/06/army-buys-sopmod-ar-15-stocks-for-just-12-28/

RobertTheTexan
11-17-16, 22:09
$13, from B5, which got the contract.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/06/06/army-buys-sopmod-ar-15-stocks-for-just-12-28/

Thanks bro. Wow, the Army has come a long way since $150 toilet seats and $99 hammers...
That article can make a man wonder why an LMT SOPMOD costs $190.
I've got some LMT's and B5 SOPMOD 's .. I'm gonna weigh them when I get home and see if I can find the missing $188.02.

Lol

Moshjath
11-18-16, 06:12
Thanks bro. Wow, the Army has come a long way since $150 toilet seats and $99 hammers...
I've got some LMT's and B5 SOPMOD 's .. I'm gonna weigh them when I get home and see if I can find the missing $188.02.

Lol

Yeah, we were able to order enough while deployed to replace the issued waffle stocks for anyone who wanted one while deployed. I remember being amazed at the price.

Stickman
11-20-16, 15:46

Lol

Buy in the same volume and get a foot in the door with military contracts based off existing work and you could get that price as well.

MichaelVain
11-22-16, 07:59
Buy in the same volume and get a foot in the door with military contracts based off existing work and you could get that price as well.

This is so true.

RobertTheTexan
11-22-16, 08:54

All this time I thought LMT had the NAVSPECWAR contract for SOPMOD?
That's why I thought a very similarly designed and built built stock B5 provided was less expensive.

556BlackRifle
11-22-16, 14:02
All this time I thought LMT had the NAVSPECWAR contract for SOPMOD?
That's why I thought a very similarly designed and built built stock B5 provided was less expensive.

Same here. Learned something new through this thread.

I'm still curious about the source for those CDNN SOPMOD stocks.

Pappabear
11-22-16, 14:06
LMT SOPMOD is still my favorite for an SBR. But I like a lot of other stocks just fine. Many great choices these days.

WS6
11-22-16, 16:15
Look at the front end where there appears to be a small joint or male connection into the cheekweld. That isn't on any of my real SOPMOD stocks. More than likely it is airsoftish, meaning the wrong plastics, thinner and more fragile.

TACMARSOP is the SKU code for the part. So, you know it's legit. It's a Tactical MARSOP unit piece of kit, man!

WS6
11-22-16, 16:18

Lol

People fail to mention that those toilet seats went on a single naval vessel which the original producer of said seats was long gone for, and new seats were needed, so they were 1-offed, and hand-made by the company that took the order, ultimately.

RobertTheTexan
11-22-16, 16:33
I'm gonna to upload some photos. I wish they were both black but they aren't. Both LMT and B5 make an FDE SOPMOD. So tell me if you can tell which is which and why. (No cheating!!)
Also tell me if the pics aren't good enough and I'll post them from my photo bucket. I'm posting them from Tapatalk.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161122/d11653b89dddbd3f335ccb26a8f2a342.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161122/a951549ae71b2930cad97b62c82e6b3c.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161122/21a084171c5d077d518e8d4709bdc896.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161122/8560e3a8d591be0efb97f7f084cc6266.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161122/df19120bf203a71db24477d3d95014bf.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161122/f6de9b3dbc87a38fc9ff005e5d14473f.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161122/ed013590655755e23efdb0b1462bcc4d.jpg

I'll post the identifying marks in a bit.

sig1473
11-22-16, 18:23
LMT-Black
FDE-B5

Stickman
11-22-16, 18:24
I'm gonna to upload some photos. I wish they were both black but they aren't. Both LMT and B5 make an FDE SOPMOD. So tell me if you can tell which is which and why. (No cheating!!)

Why should there be a difference? The contract went from one mfg to another, but it is still the same product.

RobertTheTexan
11-22-16, 18:33
Why would there be a difference? The contract went from one supplier to another, but it is still the same product.

Duh....(light bulb just turned on). Of course they both built to the NSWC Crane specs or the specs in the RFP.

This I should have known. I think I got my timing thrown off - and thought B5 was making the SOPMOD prior to winning the contract. I went back and looked and they won that contract in '09.
But thanks for turning the light switch on :-)

RobertTheTexan
11-22-16, 18:42
LMT-Black
FDE-B5

Who are you so wise in the ways of science?
;-)

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161123/20029303980d987ba42e162a3b31178e.jpg

I'm guessing the color gave the B5 away.... That or you have X-ray vision. :)

26 Inf
11-22-16, 20:08
I went back and looked at the pics, I'd buy the B5 before the LMT piece, it looks better finished. JMO

JoshNC
11-22-16, 21:15

I was able to tell the LMT from the B5 as well. Its the dimensions of the checkering on the underside of the stock latch that give it away. The LMT checkering is slightly wider. I don't own any B5 stocks, but I do own many LMT SOPMOD stocks and looking at the photos, something just looked "off" about the checkering of the latch on the FDE stock you posted.

RobertTheTexan
11-22-16, 22:00
I was able to tell the LMT from the B5 as well. Its the dimensions of the checkering on the underside of the stock latch that give it away. The LMT checkering is slightly wider. I don't own any B5 stocks, but I do own many LMT SOPMOD stocks and looking at the photos, something just looked "off" about the checkering of the latch on the FDE stock you posted.

Good catch Josh. I noticed that also when I bought my first B5 & compared it to one of my LMT's and tonight when I was taking the pictures. I also thought the tape might give it away. The FDE LMT I looked at online seemed to be a darker FDE than my B5; thought that might be the most obvious catch. I threw the rubber band in there here as a little smoke screen, no one bit. Lol

The number of LMT stocks I own says that I favor them, but I'll tell you that the B5 SOPMOD Enhanced stocks I've owned lock up just as tight as my LMT's have does. Still I'm inclined to buy LMT's. Like B5's they don't pull my beard out which is a plus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vegas
11-22-16, 23:52
I went back and looked at the pics, I'd buy the B5 before the LMT piece, it looks better finished. JMO

Have to say I thought the same. The FDE looks cleaner, especially around the ends of the battery tubes where the molding is.

RobertTheTexan
11-23-16, 02:00
People fail to mention that those toilet seats went on a single naval vessel which the original producer of said seats was long gone for, and new seats were needed, so they were 1-offed, and hand-made by the company that took the order, ultimately.

Now therein is the problem and the expense. The Army was buying those toilet seats! While I know we have watercraft (darn near reenlisted for 3X something I think. "Watercraft Operator", but I felt called to MI. (Insert joke here)

Failure2Stop
11-23-16, 10:13
It's easy to offer a lower cost product when you don't have to put any R&D into the design, refine the hardware selection, and get the mold dimensions immediately.
Running the most modern, new condition molds also puts out a generally "nicer" product than one that has been making the part for 10 years.

RobertTheTexan
11-23-16, 10:29
It's easy to offer a lower cost product when you don't have to put any R&D into the design, refine the hardware selection, and get the mold dimensions immediately.
Running the most modern, new condition molds also puts out a generally "nicer" product than one that has been making the part for 10 years.

This is true and a very good point. I am thankful for that cog in the wheel of capitalism. For the most part I want to see equipment and parts evolve. I only have to look at a set of LBE compared to my Tactical Tailor chest rig to see the value in that particular evolution. Doesn't mean I'm gonna jump in the latest and greatest though. I think most folks who have been around know that LMT paved the way and they have a very loyal following and some of us gain that knowledge through them. I only use LMT BCG's and while I have other stocks for other purposes, truck guns or lightweight builds, I'll only put an LMT on my battle rifle.

sig1473
11-23-16, 14:00
;-)

Nah, I just know a thing or two about ARs. :)
The molding, buttpad, compartments just looked a tad off compared to my LMTs.

RobertTheTexan
11-26-16, 21:05
Nah, I just know a thing or two about ARs. :)
The molding, buttpad, compartments just looked a tad off compared to my LMTs.

Wisdom and humility are traits we could use more of in our narcissist world.

RAM Engineer
11-27-16, 12:29
Every time I think of picking up a SOPMOD stock, I have a hard time justifying the expense vs the Magpul MOE-SL line of stocks.

RobertTheTexan
11-27-16, 13:10
Every time I think of picking up a SOPMOD stock, I have a hard time justifying the expense vs the Magpul MOE-SL line of stocks.

I've had one SL and a couple of STR's. The battery storage is similar, but the fit and finish is a little different in my opinion. It's not a bad stock though. (The STR.)

contax_shooter
11-27-16, 14:32
I'll report in with my Gen 1 out of spec B5 stock I bought a few years ago. It was extremely tight and didn't line up with the notches on my buffer tube. After I opened up the hole for the pin a bit and recycled some components from a USGI stock to make it work.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5807/30473441373_d49cc3d9ae_b.jpg

Firefly
11-27-16, 16:54
I dont think I've bought a SOPMOD outright. One came off an SR-25 and one came with the LMT lower.

FWIW it's a great 80% stock, esp if you like AUGs.

I want to nick a woodland one at some point.

RobertTheTexan
11-27-16, 17:01
Not to be a dummy but what is an 80% stock?

Firefly
11-27-16, 17:45
Not to be a dummy but what is an 80% stock?

It's good for 80% of what I would possibly want or need it for in terms of use.

If youve ever shouldered an AUG, it does feel like a SOPMOD and vice versa. To me anyways.

RobertTheTexan
11-27-16, 18:00
It's good for 80% of what I would possibly want or need it for in terms of use.

If youve ever shouldered an AUG, it does feel like a SOPMOD and vice versa. To me anyways.

Alas I'm Aug-deprived. However when I measure it against my old M4 stock or other beard-pulling-Magpul stocks. I find it to be closer to the 90%. My 10% believe it or not would be better storage like my Vltor eMod has.

Firefly
11-27-16, 18:18
Alas I'm Aug-deprived. However when I measure it against my old M4 stock or other beard-pulling-Magpul stocks. I find it to be closer to the 90%. My 10% believe it or not would be better storage like my Vltor eMod has.

I can't grow a beard. Serious. I'm almost 40 and 15 year olds have more hair....but anyways...

If I didn't have a Sopmod, Vltor would be my second. CTR my 3rd. I keep my Colt stock on my old 6920 just because it looks classier. Otherwise, it kinda sucks.

I find ACS is good for my 308s, but I have been considering an STR.

RobertTheTexan
11-27-16, 18:27
I can't grow a beard. Serious. I'm almost 40 and 15 year olds have more hair....but anyways...

If I didn't have a Sopmod, Vltor would be my second. CTR my 3rd. I keep my Colt stock on my old 6920 just because it looks classier. Otherwise, it kinda sucks.

I find ACS is good for my 308s, but I have been considering an STR.

I can grow a beard my problem is it keeps getting whiter for some ridiculous reason that's totally ridiculous.
My first commercial stock (not commercial spec) was an ACS-L and if I had a nickel for every beard hair it pulled out, I could buy something. My favorite Magpul stocks are the STR and the SL. I've had a couple STR's and they really are good stocks. I like the extra real estate for cheek weld and you access the batteries or whatever you might have in the storage compartment quite easily without removing it altogether like you do the LMT/Vltor-B5. I like the LMT and since I haven't purchased one retail before I paid far less than retail. (Average $100 for LMT and $78 for B5 SOPMOD Enhanced.
I think you'll enjoy the STR, especially on your .308.

sig1473
11-28-16, 03:45
Wisdom and humility are traits we could use more of in our narcissist world.

I'm just glad I found this site a couple years ago. This place has been a revelation and literally life-changing in my view of ARs. I used to come from the camp of "That an AR was an AR". Hell, my first AR was a Stag but have since learned how to properly build an AR and troubleshoot if need be. There is so much wealth of knowledge and I'm learning new things on here everyday. Sorry for the thread derail.

Tejasmtb
11-29-16, 12:54
;-)

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161123/20029303980d987ba42e162a3b31178e.jpg

The injection point on the top of the cheek weld nearest the buffer tube was a dead giveaway to the black one being LMT. Every single one of my KAC rifles has come with an LMT Sopmod stock an they all have that.

contax_shooter
01-01-17, 12:29
Someone bought the CDNN SOPMOD stock on TOS.

Link (http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/641240_Official-Mk-18-and-CQBR-Photo-and-Discussion-Thread.html&page=842#i7354487)

556BlackRifle
01-01-17, 14:38
I hope someone does some durability testing against B5 and or LMT. It would be very interesting to see how this clone performs. I wonder how much - if any of it is actually made in the USA.....

RichFitz
01-01-17, 17:47
I can grow a beard my problem is it keeps getting whiter for some ridiculous reason that's totally ridiculous.
My first commercial stock (not commercial spec) was an ACS-L and if I had a nickel for every beard hair it pulled out, I could buy something. My favorite Magpul stocks are the STR and the SL. I've had a couple STR's and they really are good stocks. I like the extra real estate for cheek weld and you access the batteries or whatever you might have in the storage compartment quite easily without removing it altogether like you do the LMT/Vltor-B5. I like the LMT and since I haven't purchased one retail before I paid far less than retail. (Average $100 for LMT and $78 for B5 SOPMOD Enhanced.
I think you'll enjoy the STR, especially on your .308.

If you are looking at the STR the new SL-S might be a better option.

Video on SL-S features below (with a hit tip to the SOPMOD along with the granddaddy of triangle stocks, the Colt ACR stock)...

https://youtu.be/0-W68jTQpdU

SeriousStudent
01-01-17, 18:13
Thank you for the video, kind sir.

I have an SL-S on the way. I am going to run it on a lightweight precision carbine with a 1-6.5x LPV.

556BlackRifle
01-01-17, 20:34
If you are looking at the STR the new SL-S might be a better option.

Video on SL-S features below (with a hit tip to the SOPMOD along with the granddaddy of triangle stocks, the Colt ACR stock)...

Nice! I have an SL and love it. I'm going to pick one of the SLS up and run it. :)