PDA

View Full Version : How Much is too much to pay for a car

yoni
11-18-16, 15:04
With the return of the 3 lads in the form of "The Grand Tour" their first test run off was between 3 cars Porsche 918, McLaren P1, Ferrari Le Ferrari.

The cheapest of the 3 is the Porsche at I think they said 800,000 pounds, and the others were at like 1.5 million pounds.

Hence my question; How much is too much to spend on a car?

Eurodriver
11-18-16, 15:09
1) DID THEY RACE THE THREE? DO NOT POST THE WINNER HERE!!!!!

2) I think it's all relative to income/net worth. I used to think I would never want a supercar regardless of money because they didn't interest me. There was a time where if you gave me a Ferrari 458 I would just turn around and sell it at a huge loss real quick to get some cash. Now? McLaren P1 please.

The average new car price is $33,650, and median household income is $51,340 (Both numbers are easily googleable) A-Rod made $20,000,000 in 2016. By those figures he could afford a $13,000,000 vehicle.

el_chingoton13
11-18-16, 15:34
I'd give all of my man parts for a McLaren P1.

SteyrAUG
11-18-16, 17:31
2) I think it's all relative to income/net worth.

This. I've always wanted a Lamborghini, but I'd need a lot more than the purchase price to actually buy one. Along those lines I've always wanted to start my own pro/am adult video studio where I could have a private title series starring me and my favorite starlets and have the entire matter be tax deductible.

Suffice to say if I had Trumps money I wouldn't ever bother running for President.

williejc
11-18-16, 17:42
In the summer of 1976 I was in a pet store in New Orleans. For sale was a $5000 parrot. Stunned, I ask the clerk who in the hell would pay $5000 for a bird, and she told me that it was the same people who would pay $25,000 for a horse. Then I understood. So it is with cars and other toys.

wildcard600
11-18-16, 18:23
People pay $5000+ for a 1911, why not $1 million for a car ?

Though if I had that kind of cash I would probably be buying more "classic" stuff like an Esprit Turbo or Ferrari 308.

AKDoug
11-18-16, 18:35
As a business guy that owns a bunch of vehicles and an equal amount of small heavy equipment.. I cannot bring myself to spend any money on a car (they are useless to me) and struggle to justify $30,000 for a pickup. I purchased a Peterbilt 379 in February for $32,000 cash. That truck nets me $40K a year minimum and will do so for a long time into the future.

Vehicles now are stupid expensive compared to what the average American makes.

WillBrink
11-18-16, 18:41
Would seem when ever someone says "too much" for a watch, a 1911, audio speakers, etc it just goes down the rabbit hole of subjective value. For me, too much would be reflective of my net worth, income, passions, etc. Look at j Leno, he's got millions into cars and I doubt it even registers on his bank statement, but it's his passion and makes him happy to boot.

MegademiC
11-18-16, 19:21
As a business guy that owns a bunch of vehicles and an equal amount of small heavy equipment.. I cannot bring myself to spend any money on a car (they are useless to me) and struggle to justify $30,000 for a pickup. I purchased a Peterbilt 379 in February for $32,000 cash. That truck nets me $40K a year minimum and will do so for a long time into the future.

Yup, I'll never buy a new car. I'm actually in the market possibly, as of tonight. We'll see what the repair would cost.

My 05 tsx transmission just went, barely made it home. Looks like she may not get to roll over 230,000.

I can't see paying more than 30% of my salary for a car, but I'm not a car guy... I'd rather buy ammo.

Arik
11-18-16, 20:18
Depends what you want in a car. I like sport cars but not enough to buy one. It would be cool if someone let me borrow theirs for an hour or a day but I have no interest in buying one. I like my cars like Glocks! Has to be reliable so I buy 4 banger Toyotas. The last one I had had over 300k. This current one is approaching 100k. For me a car is a mode of transport faster than on foot and cheaper than a horse. Also it doesn't help that I've driven just about every car under the sun so the excitement is gone

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-18-16, 20:47
People pay $5000+ for a 1911, why not $1 million for a car ?

Though if I had that kind of cash I would probably be buying more "classic" stuff like an Esprit Turbo or Ferrari 308.

I was thinking shot guns...

soulezoo
11-18-16, 21:20
It's all relative as said before.

There's another angle though. Thinking of capitalized cost over time. I have a 2000 MB S class that I bought 2 years old,19k miles and had deprecated by 1/3. So $52k for what was an $80k car.
14 years and another 280k miles I am now selling it. What is the amortization? And I got to drive a MB S class all that time.
Just bought a 14 Audi A8 for $42k and 25k miles. It was $88k new. Amazing car, as fast as a new Mustang GT. We'll see how it goes.

PatrioticDisorder
11-18-16, 21:37
Would seem when ever someone says "too much" for a watch, a 1911, audio speakers, etc it just goes down the rabbit hole of subjective value. For me, too much would be reflective of my net worth, income, passions, etc. Look at j Leno, he's got millions into cars and I doubt it even registers on his bank statement, but it's his passion and makes him happy to boot.

This and it really depends for many people where their priorities are. When I didn't have the means to purchase a (relatively) pricey vehicle I wanted one, now that I could purchase something more I'm all about living below my means. My home is something I tend to spare little in the ways of expense on but for me vehicles are a rapidly depreciating asset (money pit) and I'd rather retire early.

Honu
11-18-16, 21:40
cars can go up in value by huge amounts !!!!

buying a expensive new car is not the same as buying a exotic or collectible that is for sure

elephant
11-18-16, 22:06
I've owned many cars. I've owned several Ferraris, several Porsches, a Lamborghini and to this day the Chevrolet Corvette remains my all time favorite car. First off, Porsche 911 are great cars. 42483 They have better warranty than most domestic cars. 42481
42482Ferraris are way overpriced. The interior rattles, the plastic trim will start bleeding- I cant explain but after a year or so, all the plastic pieces will get real sticky. The maintenance is a joke- $11k for a clutch, $7k for cam belts, $6k for valve alignment, $3k for yearly service and $900 for oil change every 600 miles. Lamborghinis after the Diablo were made by Audi and are damn good cars yet way overpriced but the maintenance is reasonable- if you can afford the maintenance on an Audi, you can afford to maintain the Lamborghini. My problem was that I owned a Metallic Rose Dust (hot pink) Diablo 42480 that was in the shop all the time. I owned all of these when I had a used car dealers license- which I would recommend to anyone that had a little extra disposable income. You can make $10-20k a month easily.....like super easy. I have since sold all of my cars except for my 2002 Ferrari 360 and I drive a 2017 Corvette Grand Sport! I lost my dealers license last year because you have to sell a minimum of 10/year and I only sold 8 my last year. The corvette is reasonably priced, reasonably equipped, compatible horsepower to that of a Porsche turbo and the looks of a modern European sports car. Plus you can get parts same day.

SteyrAUG
11-18-16, 22:27

Not sure what it cost, but back in the late 70s there was a guy who kept a ton of rare and usually venomous snakes at his home. He had to buy special containers to own them and probably paid a crap ton of money in licensing requirements.

I remember him paying something like $2,000 to have an Indian King Cobra imported and he was always spending money to buy snakes from Africa. He did milk them for venom and sell it, but it didn't even come close to offsetting the purchase price.

Even worse, he wasn't a multi millionaire or anything. Made decent money, lived in a nice house and drove a newish car but definitely dropped all his spare coin on snakes. Probably the weirdest expenditure of most of a persons money that I'd ever seen.

C-grunt
11-19-16, 00:03
1) DID THEY RACE THE THREE? DO NOT POST THE WINNER HERE!!!!!

Yes they did race them. You need to get your ass on Amazon and watch it time now.

If I won a ridiculous lottery I would buy a 1.5 million dollar McLaren P1 in a heartbeat.

ColtSeavers
11-19-16, 00:59
If you can't afford two of the one you are about to buy, you are paying too much for one IMO.

ramairthree
11-19-16, 09:34
It's all relative.
My first car I bought new,
Using my enlistment bonus as a down payment,
Was the same as my annual salary.

I lived in the barracks. Half my after tax money went for car payment and insurance.
The other half mostly went for gas and dating.

When I became an officer 8 years later, my new vechicle cost was three times as much, again about my annual salary.

There are 100k ish cars I have thought about buying. I have managed not too.
If ford put out a real original GT looking car with the coyote 5.0 and performance no better than the Mustang GT,
Or another manufacturer put out a replica of one of their original muscle cars, I would not resist one at 100k.
I was lind of tempted by a viper recently.
But while I like driving, say, a challenger,
A mustang GT I find cramped as a deadly driver.
So I guess the right car would get me to spend as much as 100k.
I just have never done it.

But to spend my annual salary, pre or post tax now, on a car just seems crazy.

I think something happens with relative values.

Sure,
A lot of people that make 50k a year have 50k cars.
But I bet most people that make 500k a year do not have a 500k car.

Vandal
11-19-16, 09:58
I've been in new and used car sales for going on 6 years now and it gives me some interesting insight. I've seen people want to make payments on a $5000 used car and stroke a check in front of me for over $150,000, and not blink at the number because they could buy the dealership, while handing me the phone with the personal banker on the line to confirm the funds. At the end of the day it's all relative to the individual and what makes sense to them. I don't hold a gun to anyone's head telling them to buy the car.

Most people who finance new cars with payments should be leasing. Most car buyers in the US only keep the car for 3-4 years then trade it in and roll over the negative until the math no longer works to make it happen. The average new car loan is now 67 months based on the research by Experian and then keep in mind how many of those people don't put anything down. I recently tried to talk a husband and wife into a lower trim level on a Subaru because I knew they couldn't afford the one they wanted. We eventually pushed the loan to 84 months to hit the payment they were pretty sure was ok with nothing down because "we have never put anything down before and it has always worked out". Their budget was maxed out.

TL;DR: Lease new cars, buy used cars (more so if they are domestic, Nissan or high end). What people are willing to pay is all relative to them.

Dist. Expert 26
11-19-16, 10:08
I could never, ever bring myself to spend over 30k on a car. I just don't see the point. 45k on a truck though, I wouldn't even blink first. Difference being I can make money with the truck, pull my boat to the lake, etc whereas with a car all I can do is drive from point A to point B.

jpmuscle
11-19-16, 10:51
I could never, ever bring myself to spend over 30k on a car. I just don't see the point. 45k on a truck though, I wouldn't even blink first. Difference being I can make money with the truck, pull my boat to the lake, etc whereas with a car all I can do is drive from point A to point B.
This is the realization I've come to in life. Buying new is an epic waste IMO under most circumstances.

Firefly
11-19-16, 12:12
I have never bought a new car and never will.

I know people inserious hock playing the "new care every 5 years game".

As long as it hauls me from point A to point B with no issue and in comfort.

I actual prefer modest conveyance as I prefer to keep a low profile. I've desperately wanted to over the years:

-Get a smartass vanity plate
-Get a Sons of Confederacy tag with rebel flag
-put on motard bumper stickers stating emphatically how oorah heterosexual gun toting Republican voting meat and potatoes billy blue line badass I am
-Cute oohrah front plate denoting same

And I am so glad I didn't given how over emotional and petty people are now and so far my vehicle is just one of many.

If I ever get a sporty car, I am definitely getting a garage first.

But to each his own

militarymoron
11-19-16, 12:13
I don't think it's anything different from buying a custom 1911 or anything that you *want* to own, vs. something that you need. How much you spend is just relative to how much money you have/earn/can afford.

If I were in the correct earning bracket, I'd love to have a P1 GTR. It's no different than the motorcycles I used to own just for weekend riding in the canyons and not for commuting. I'd have to be wealthy enough where that decision wouldn't be much different than the ones I make right now for things I want but don't need.

26 Inf
11-19-16, 13:15
I have never bought a new car and never will.

I actual prefer modest conveyance as I prefer to keep a low profile. I've desperately wanted to over the years:

-Get a Sons of Confederacy tag with rebel flag

I admire your restraint. Likewise, I've stifled my urge to wear a 'Tribute to Yankee Marksmanship Day' tee-shirt on the last Monday in April. Wouldn't be PC or even nice.

Turnkey11
11-19-16, 13:27
I wont pay more than $10k. Bought one new vehicle (08' F150) never again will I constrict my income with payments like that for that period of time ($478 for 72 mo).

Firefly
11-19-16, 13:36
I admire your restraint. Likewise, I've stifled my urge to wear a 'Tribute to Yankee Marksmanship Day' tee-shirt on the last Monday in April. Wouldn't be PC or even nice.

I know. It is a touchy subject. I forget sometimes you were but a tender 17 year old just trying to see another day back then
:D

26 Inf
11-19-16, 14:26
I know. It is a touchy subject. I forget sometimes you were but a tender 17 year old just trying to see another day back then
:D

I have been known to put notes under windshield wipers of cars with Confederate items displayed: 'You Lost.' I wish I could put 'Iwas there, you lost' but, alas, despite your assertion I was just a glimmer in the future DNA of my clan.

Firefly
11-19-16, 14:36
I have been known to put notes under windshield wipers of cars with Confederate items displayed: 'You Lost.' I wish I could put 'Iwas there, you lost' but, alas, despite your assertion I was just a glimmer in the future DNA of my clan.

....that was the joke, man. I know Spanish-American was your campaign. I'm just busting your balls.

Meh I don't care one way or the other, I just enjoy being cheeky at times. I can be a bit of a git. But you knew that

26 Inf
11-19-16, 14:59
....that was the joke, man. I know Spanish-American was your campaign. I'm just busting your balls.

Meh I don't care one way or the other, I just enjoy being cheeky at times. I can be a bit of a git. But you knew that

Today you can chart my progress by response time between posts. Since my last witty reply I have installed torqued, and being the mil-spec beeyatch I am, staked a way cool receiver extension, and applied the Aluma-Black. This is for the wolf gray 300 blackout I am building. Apparently since I asked what color she thought was coolest, she think it is hers. I plan on riding that pony until the upper is completed.

I will be available for further rejoinders upon my return from the LGS.

Firefly
11-19-16, 15:20
Today you can chart my progress by response time between posts. Since my last witty reply I have installed torqued, and being the mil-spec beeyatch I am, staked a way cool receiver extension, and applied the Aluma-Black. This is for the wolf gray 300 blackout I am building. Apparently since I asked what color she thought was coolest, she think it is hers. I plan on riding that pony until the upper is completed.

I will be available for further rejoinders upon my return from the LGS.

You're doing better than me. I was at the lake for some of my Zen time as I call it. Lazy Saturday.

Wolf Grey is slick. I wasn't going to do a 300 blk but the upcoming Hera Arms stock has me wanting to do one so I can have at least one futuristic looking anime cyberpunk gun.
Need to get a form and a can going. Yep in a year, I will be ready to kill cyborgs.

It's a nice day and I was gonna go shoot my .22 but everyone else had that idea.

But we digress.....

Alex V
11-19-16, 16:11
If I had **** you money a LaFerrari would be a no brainier. F that P1 crap, I a Tifoso. lol

My wife and I lease our cars but they aren't expencive to begin with. My SantaFe MSPR is 35k and her Sonata Sport was $26.

When I was 18 I leased my 2001 Trans Am WS6 and spent nearly every penny I made at my part time job to pay for it. By the time the lease was up, it had a roll bar, heads/cam exhaust suspension and nitrous. Needless it say I bought it out at that point lol. I've spent way too much money on it. For the amount of money into that car, I could have had a used F360 but I love that thing. I can't imagine ever selling it. For me, it was money well spent. I met my best friend through racing that car, he passed away last March. The memories that car gave me are priceless.

Firefly
11-19-16, 16:19
lol 'Eff you money' hadn't heard that in a minute.

As a lad, I thought the baddest car was a DeTomaso Pantera. It was like Ford's Ferrari I guess.

Welp, I finally got to see one in person as an adult and it was smaller than I thought and I couldn't fit very comfortable with legroom. Still think they look cool.

Spurholder
11-19-16, 16:28
When Michael Schumacher drove for Ferrari, his daily driver was a Fiat 500 Abarth.

Alex V
11-19-16, 16:30
When Michael Schumacher drove for Ferrari, his daily driver was a Fiat 500 Abarth.

If you drive an F1 car every day your daily driver can be a little boring lol.

jpmuscle
11-19-16, 16:31
If I had **** you money a LaFerrari would be a no brainier. F that P1 crap, I a Tifoso. lol

My wife and I lease our cars but they aren't expencive to begin with. My SantaFe MSPR is 35k and her Sonata Sport was $26.

When I was 18 I leased my 2001 Trans Am WS6 and spent nearly every penny I made at my part time job to pay for it. By the time the lease was up, it had a roll bar, heads/cam exhaust suspension and nitrous. Needless it say I bought it out at that point lol. I've spent way too much money on it. For the amount of money into that car, I could have had a used F360 but I love that thing. I can't imagine ever selling it. For me, it was money well spent. I met my best friend through racing that car, he passed away last March. The memories that car gave me are priceless.
Sorry to hear about your friend.

I spent many years of my youth running around in a 4th gen f-body which ultimately ended up with back halfing a 94 z28 and building a 468 BBC. Alas, life and graduate school got in the way...

yoni
11-19-16, 17:19
Very interesting 4 pages and not one response of, no you can feed the poor with that money or hug unicorn's.

SteyrAUG
11-19-16, 17:20
Very interesting 4 pages and not one response of, no you can feed the poor with that money or hug unicorn's.

Can we just shoot the unicorn and then feed that to poor people? Unless of course unicorns taste really good in which case I'm stocking my freezer.

Firefly
11-19-16, 17:30
Can we just shoot the unicorn and then feed that to poor people? Unless of course unicorns taste really good in which case I'm stocking my freezer.

Would you think less of me if I actually did want to shoot a unicorn? Like a real Unicorn from that movie Legend? Like sit my fat ass up in a tree stand as this white, pure virginal creature of majesty and grace strode along the Elven wood as Tangerine Dream played.....and shot it dead with my ECC?

And all the while record it and put it on YouTube where the old creepy guys who are into My Little Pony can see.

Just to say I did it.

26 Inf
11-19-16, 18:33
I buy a new car every other year and donate the old one to either Green Peace or the Sierra Club. If more people would do that the world would be a better place.

In fact, the world is a great place KU just beat Texas to snap a 27 game Big12 losing streak, and a 17 game B12 Northern Conference losing streak. The Texas guys looked like the air crew on the flight home might need to double lock the flight deck door.

MegademiC
11-19-16, 23:03
Had to buy a new one today... 10% of salary. Should last 6 years. I bought the same car same year as my trade in, but with 150k less miles. The look on the finance guys face was priceless when he asked about trade-in.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-20-16, 00:16
I rent a lot of cars for work. There are pretty much no bad cars anymore. Sure you can spend more and they are nicer, but from a comfort and performance level, there isn't really that much differentiation anymore. I have an expensive car now, but as I get older, I look more and more at what I could do with that money and my tastes are getting cheaper and cheaper. I still want to be one of those guys who shows up at the range with 3 guns that are worth more than his car.

SteyrAUG
11-20-16, 00:26
I rent a lot of cars for work. There are pretty much no bad cars anymore. Sure you can spend more and they are nicer, but from a comfort and performance level, there isn't really that much differentiation anymore. I have an expensive car now, but as I get older, I look more and more at what I could do with that money and my tastes are getting cheaper and cheaper. I still want to be one of those guys who shows up at the range with 3 guns that are worth more than his car.

For about a decade I drove a 10 year old "beater" Dodge Omni, but I had a real HK G3 and MP5 in the back seat when I showed up at the range. I have yet to buy a new car, they depreciate about 30% the moment you drive them off the lot. Think I'm kidding then drive across the street and see how much another dealer will give you for it.

My used cars have improved over the years, but they are still just "new to me."

26 Inf
11-20-16, 09:25
For about a decade I drove a 10 year old "beater" Dodge Omni, but I had a real HK G3 and MP5 in the back seat when I showed up at the range. I have yet to buy a new car, they depreciate about 30% the moment you drive them off the lot. Think I'm kidding then drive across the street and see how much another dealer will give you for it.

My used cars have improved over the years, but they are still just "new to me."

A lot of folks don't appreciate how much the expected longevity of consumer vehicles has appreciated over the years. When I was a young one most cars were done at between 75,000 and 100,00 without major rebuild of the engine and chassis components. Today a vehicle at 75,000 is at 1/2 to 1/3 it's reasonable service-life.

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram that was bought new, other than getting things sorted out after a radiator went south, oil changes and wiper fluid, I don't believe I've had to add any fluids to it. I replaced the rear shocks with overloads to keep it level while towing our trailer, two sets of front pads, and wipers, that is it. I just had the bed refinished - typical Dodge PU rust over rear wheel wells, I plan on being buried in it, the rate I drive it will be another 15 years before I hit 250,00.

In that respect, buying new should not be as big a deal as it is.

daniel87
11-20-16, 09:31
My 1995 Chevy blazer is 276,000
My wife's 2003 jeep grand Cherokee is is near the same

Both are running strong. So far its been a power steering pump, a brake master cylinder, and a radiator for both. Had them 3 to 5 years.

Theywere easy to fix

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Eurodriver
11-20-16, 10:06
I have yet to buy a new car, they depreciate about 30% the moment you drive them off the lot. Think I'm kidding then drive across the street and see how much another dealer will give you for it.

That's interesting - because I did exactly that.
But this whole "New cars depreciate 30% immediately off the lot" is not a blanket statement one can make.

_Stormin_
11-20-16, 14:42
I've always enjoyed having a nice car to drive every day (Last four in reverse order bought new: Audi S4, Audi RS4, Benz C55, Benz C350). The money isn't an issue, and I consider the nice car a bit of a reward for myself for my hard work.

I don't agree with Elephant. I've been able to spend some serious time with a Ferrari F430, F430 Scuderia, and 458 Italia (haven't driven the 488 yet, but I'll get to), and also the Lamborghini Gallardo, and Murcielago. Yeah, the maintenance on the Ferrari's is nuts, but their most recent cars are ridiculously good and the service is included in the purchase if bought new from the dealer. The Lambos are MILES from the Audis in service costs, and while their most recent cars are almost boringly reliable, they don't quite invoke the same passion that the Ferrari does. Don't get we wrong, I won't turn any of them away from my driveway, but when I'm writing the check for six figures, it's going to be an F430 Scuderia. That thing is pretty much the perfect expression of what a sports car should be... I'm just waiting for the right one to come on the market.

williejc
11-20-16, 14:57
I bought a new Acura 31/2 years ago for my wife. Recently the dealer offered us $26,000 cash when we were in for service. I paid $38,000 out the door so in this case the car depreciated 32% over 39 months. Her vehicle has very low miles. I paid cash from a savings account and thus have zero payments. I can't see any reason to sell this car, which is the nicest we've ever had.

Some will remember that a few years ago the government stuck is nose in the car business and subsidized trading in used cars . The purpose was to reduce the number of gas guzzlers. Since then, used car values have been high. Used cars can be a great deal if you don't pay too much for one, which you can do if not careful.

I got my first car in 1963. Since then, I've owned eight vehicles over 53 years with my 2001 Toyota being number 8. During this time none had work performed on the motor; one had a clutch replaced; one had two fuel pumps replaced under warranty; and one had a transmission replaced. All were over maintained.

SteyrAUG
11-20-16, 15:57
But this whole "New cars depreciate 30% immediately off the lot" is not a blanket statement one can make.

Always exceptions, but I think you know what I was talking about in general.

ramairthree
11-21-16, 01:17
I have only bought new cars since 1994.
I am averaging over 7 1/2 years on them. So several years of no payment. And average 25% trade in from what I paid new.

My wife, not so much.
Averaging about 5 1/2 years.
But her old cars go to the kids to expect four or more additional years out of.
Again plenty of years of no payments.

Have not figured in non daily drivers like a convertible, HD truck for towing, or vintage toys.

Pilot1
11-21-16, 04:39
I buy new cars, but not expensive cars. However, I keep them for at least ten years if the maintenance isn't killing me. My current car is a thirteen year old Jeep. I bought my airplane for $60K in 2001, however the maintenance, and operating costs have far exceeded that number. It is all what you value. If I spend money, I try to buy things that will hold their value, or even appreciate. Cars don't do that.

RetroRevolver77
11-21-16, 05:46
I buy new cars, but not expensive cars. However, I keep them for at least ten years if the maintenance isn't killing me. My current car is a thirteen year old Jeep. I bought my airplane for $60K in 2001, however the maintenance, and operating costs have far exceeded that number. It is all what you value. If I spend money, I try to buy things that will hold their value, or even appreciate. Cars don't do that.

Unless you buy a rare vintage vehicle, cars are a depreciating asset- so pay as little as you can for one and skip all the "upgrades".

I generally buy a lightly used vehicle that is three years old then drive it until it is at least fifteen years old.

Current Jeep is thirteen years old and will likely be replaced sometime in the next two years.

Eurodriver
11-21-16, 08:38
Maybe I grew up differently, but who cares if it's a depreciating asset if you enjoy it? Is money that important?

I could have easily bought a mildly loved Elantra, pocketed at least $20k, and run it into the ground, but what is a bitch gonna think when I roll up to her house in a 15 year old Hyundai? And what am I gonna think when I walk outside to get in it every morning?

Big A
11-21-16, 09:15
Maybe I grew up differently, but who cares if it's a depreciating asset if you enjoy it? Is money that important?

I could have easily bought a mildly loved Elantra, pocketed at least $20k, and run it into the ground, but what is a bitch gonna think when I roll up to her house in a 15 year old Hyundai? And what am I gonna think when I walk outside to get in it every morning?

And there it it is ;) My GTI is about the boringest car I will allow myself to drive, but it delivers smiles per gallon and that's what's important to me. I just can't bring myself to own a Camry or the like. Might as well start selling vacuums door to door until you inevitably suck start a pistol.

ramairthree
11-21-16, 09:31

I enjoy driving a capable vehicle.

But I don't need extra status.

So, I can do with a 4Runner vs a 100k Mercedes or Range Rover SUV,
Or with a Mustang GT vs a Ferrari.

And I don't need off the chart full retard capable.
I can do with a Challenger RT vs the Hellcat.

26 Inf
11-21-16, 10:26

You nailed it on the first sentence - as long as your family (versus just you) isn't living in a 1970's singlewide so you can have a vehicle that trips your trigger, have at it.

Sentence two has two components:

(1) I prefer to be liked for what I bring to the table as the complicated, yet lovable guy that is 26 Inf. If it takes a car, or any other possession, to get you through the door it is probably a door best left closed. If you are happy with a gal being with you because of the fancy doodads you have, cut out the drama and just buy a hooker.

(2) Refer back to comments on first section, whatever trips your trigger. Folks are different for a reason, I guess.

26 Inf
11-21-16, 10:34
And there it it is ;) My GTI is about the boringest car I will allow myself to drive, but it delivers smiles per gallon and that's what's important to me. I just can't bring myself to own a Camry or the like. Might as well start selling vacuums door to door until you inevitably suck start a pistol.

I just got rid of a 91 Escort that I put some mods on early in it's life. I loved that car. Why? Because I beat the shit out of it every time I drove it. It moved okay, but, the true joy was the ability to drive it at nearly it limits without attracting too much undo attention.

Last purchase I wanted to go with a GTI, but bought a Street Glide.

Firefly
11-21-16, 10:46
I enjoy driving a capable vehicle.

But I don't need extra status.

So, I can do with a 4Runner vs a 100k Mercedes or Range Rover SUV,
Or with a Mustang GT vs a Ferrari.

And I don't need off the chart full retard capable.
I can do with a Challenger RT vs the Hellcat.

This.

Gimme a 71 fastback anyday. I can fit in it and it just feels right.

I'd sooner put money into guns and optics.

SteyrAUG
11-21-16, 10:52

No argument there. To me, money exists to make a person happy. When I'm up, I'd rather get together with all my friends and treat them to a nice dinner than squirrel it away in a 1.5% interest savings account. One of the many reasons I'll never be incredibly wealthy.

But I'd caution you regarding the use of "status bait" in your relationships, it attracts exactly the wrong kind of females. If you want to be happy, finding girl who is into you for you and couldn't care less if you roll a Hyundai is far more impressive than what you drive.

Nice things are nice and all that, but most of it is still just stuff.

contax_shooter
11-21-16, 11:09
Ferrari F40 would be tits on lottery money.

TMS951
11-21-16, 11:24
All three of those cars are only going to appreciate in value if taken care of. I would thin of them more as an functional art investment than transportation.

I think if you spend more than 3-4 months salary on a car you have spent beyond your means.

I love the Bugatti Veyron, one of the first million dollar cars and the first of its kind. I'd take one happily, I have four or five in person and it is a magnificent piece of engineering. It is art, and a testament to achievements of man in the arena of engineering. To own it I'd want to have a net worth of 25 million of more.

AKDoug
11-21-16, 11:30
Contrary to my previous post, I "get" the enjoyment thing. I have no issues dropping $10K on a snowmobile I use for 5 months out of the year that costs me over $3 a mile to enjoy. Off road toys bring me joy because I have some freedom there. Cars and trucks, not so much because there are roads I have to stay on and too many rules I have to follow.

I think that if I lived in a place where cars brought me the same sort of freedom my snowmobile does where I live, I'd probably sing a different tune. But I don't live in a place like that for a reason.

JC5188
11-21-16, 11:34

I went cheap on a car once. 91 Ford ranger with 5 speed and a 4-banger. Most miserable 8 months of my life.

Now, I buy what I want. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eurodriver
11-21-16, 11:39
But I'd caution you regarding the use of "status bait" in your relationships, it attracts exactly the wrong kind of females. If you want to be happy, finding girl who is into you for you and couldn't care less if you roll a Hyundai is far more impressive than what you drive.

This is good advice and honestly something I'd never considered previously. Thank you. (No sarcasm) I don't necessarily drive anything flashy, just not boring as hell.

Case in point: The guys in this thread remind me a lot of my coworkers. They all drive Silver imported Sedans (Sentra, Elantra, Accord, etc). Like shit, dude, your job has you making pivot tables on excel all day, your girl is ugly and boring, and you live in a bee hive apartment complex. The least you can do is enjoy the fifteen minute drive into the office every day. Why wouldn't anyone give up a few extra coins for that enjoyment is something I won't understand, and I guess my point about females was that they recognize a unique guy as opposed to just another guy in a grey sedan in the parking garage. Not necessarily that it's expensive.

It's the one thing that makes me miss riding a bike. Sure you almost got dead every morning but it made the trip into work like a deployment to Iraq. And not that boring ass 2009 OIF 7.09 bs. The surge timeframe when it was dangerous as hell.

Every. Single. Day.

WillBrink
11-21-16, 11:51
This is good advice and honestly something I'd never considered previously. Thank you. (No sarcasm) I don't necessarily drive anything flashy, just not boring as hell.

Case in point: The guys in this thread remind me a lot of my coworkers. They all drive Silver imported Sedans (Sentra, Elantra, Accord, etc). Like shit, dude, your job has you making pivot tables on excel all day, your girl is ugly and boring, and you live in a bee hive apartment complex. The least you can do is enjoy the fifteen minute drive into the office every day. Why wouldn't anyone give up a few extra coins for that enjoyment is something I won't understand, and I guess my point about females was that they recognize a unique guy as opposed to just another guy in a grey sedan in the parking garage. Not necessarily that it's expensive.

It's the one thing that makes me miss riding a bike. Sure you almost got dead every morning but it made the trip into work like a deployment to Iraq. And not that boring ass 2009 OIF 7.09 bs. The surge timeframe when it was dangerous as hell.

Every. Single. Day.

Here's a story to add. Back in the day, guy I knew was starting and struggling and owned an old Honda. He started a supplement company that went onto be huge, and he was a rich dude. He owned several exotic cars, but kept the old Honda, and that's the car he would pick dates up with. If they made a comment, didn't want a second date, etc, he moved on.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-21-16, 12:03

Hyundiadriver, just doesn't have the same ring to it...

I'm just glad that I met my wife before automatic locks. That way you have to open the door for her and you can see if she do the reach across to unlock your door...

Averageman
11-21-16, 12:50
I always wanted to own a sports car.
When I got my first Mustang GT, I was a very, very happy camper. Now I know this isn't an expensive car, but it what I like and what I could afford, I loved that car.
Having a bit of OCD when I was on a date one time someone next to me managed to not only door ding my passage side door, they managed to drag something all the way down the door and rear quarter panel.
The damage done at the time nearly made me feel physically ill and I never could look at that car the same again.
I've owned another GT since then, it was even newer, faster and essentially better in all ways. The paranoia it produced whenever I had to park it in a public place made it a miserable experience.
I now sport a Toyota Taco and feel a lot less anxiety about parking.
Now had I owned a real expensive and real sports car, I likely would go bat crap crazy worrying about it.

brickboy240
11-21-16, 14:32
Leasing a car is a rip off.

I also never buy brand new cars and buy lightly used cars and trucks and drive them 8-10 years.

I have better things to spend money on than vehicles that depreciate rapidly.

C-grunt
11-21-16, 14:55
Euro if you are missing the Surge experience I can come to Florida and shoot at you on your way to work. Ill also rocket your house a couple times a week. HAHA.

Im with you though. Friends at work are dumbfounded that I take my new truck off roading. It gets scratched all to hell and even has a big as dent behind the rear driver side tire after I hit a big ass rock. But that's why I bought that truck.

SteyrAUG
11-21-16, 16:04

Every. Single. Day.

Again, nothing wrong with having nice things. If you don't have something to show for your efforts, why bother? Live your life, just do it for you.

People don't buy Rolex watches because they are more accurate than a quartz watch.

JC5188
11-21-16, 17:31
I always wanted to own a sports car.
When I got my first Mustang GT, I was a very, very happy camper. Now I know this isn't an expensive car, but it what I like and what I could afford, I loved that car.
Having a bit of OCD when I was on a date one time someone next to me managed to not only door ding my passage side door, they managed to drag something all the way down the door and rear quarter panel.
The damage done at the time nearly made me feel physically ill and I never could look at that car the same again.
I've owned another GT since then, it was even newer, faster and essentially better in all ways. The paranoia it produced whenever I had to park it in a public place made it a miserable experience.
I now sport a Toyota Taco and feel a lot less anxiety about parking.
Now had I owned a real expensive and real sports car, I likely would go bat crap crazy worrying about it.

I used to think of it that way, but resigned myself to the fact that it's just a car. It can be fixed. And if I make the cash to have it, I have the cash to fix it.

Maybe it's just me?

Firefly
11-21-16, 18:25
If I had rockstar money, I'd drive a semi loaded up with Lambos, a briefcase of pre-signed Presidential pardons, two girls half my age, and a 240. Blasting Def Leppard and Van Halen everywhere I went.

Just to upset people

williejc
11-21-16, 19:00
If I had rockstar money, I'd go to Dallas and try to get laid with a white girl.

Firefly
11-21-16, 19:04
If I had rockstar money, I'd go to Dallas and try to get laid with a white girl.

That's hardcore, man

pinzgauer
11-21-16, 20:37
I also never buy brand new cars and buy lightly used cars and trucks and drive them 8-10 years.

This used to be golden advice.

Lately though for many rides you'll pay as much for a 24-36k miles car as for a new one if you buy it right.

4x4 trucks and most SUV's its for sure the case. Especially diesel trucks.

Any "saved" money is lost in reduced service life.

I've not paid more than 1k under invoice in a long time, and my last truck had over 3k in additional rebates. Could have sold it after three years and made money. But I drive them till they are crispy.

We are starting to see this on Japanese sedans/small cars. Just too much demand for clean used in our area.

Rayrevolver
11-21-16, 21:27
Was on per diem for a year and determined to blow some of it in 2009.

Almost pulled then trigger on a 2004 911 GT3 in the $60k ballpark. Glad I didn't, the payments would have sucked. Ended up with a nice 04 Z06 and glad I did it.

As an aside, I "hid" that Z from a girl I dated, not because I was worried she was a gold digger but more from embarrassment. Corvettes are old white guy cars and I'm not. lol

Firefly
11-21-16, 21:39
Y'see Ray-Ray, I'm glad youbsaid that so I don't have to. Every guy I know with a Corvette is old and bald or balding

Not a chevy guy but IROCs will always be cool.

But Corvettes...bleh

SteyrAUG
11-22-16, 00:23
Y'see Ray-Ray, I'm glad youbsaid that so I don't have to. Every guy I know with a Corvette is old and bald or balding

But Corvettes...bleh

Don't care. Love my corvette.

http://i64.tinypic.com/14tvb42.jpg

Dist. Expert 26
11-22-16, 01:08
A good friend of mine rolls around in a Z06 putting over 1000 ponies to the wheels. Definitely not an old guy car.

If I had my choice though, Mercedes AMG GT all the way. Go fast with some serious class.

Texas42
11-22-16, 07:24

Cars are the biggest thing Americans buy that go down in value. New cars lose most of their value in 3-5 years. Give the culture of expensive cars and car payments, they are the biggest financial mistake most people make.

If someone isn't saving for retirement, kids college, or paying off the house early, it's probably because of the car payment.

I'm weird. I think putting things on payments is a bad idea. I have no problem with nice, expensive cars. I'm just not going to put my family in jeopardy so I can enjoy my commute. I think we have nice cars, but I can afford the cost of depreciation, and the car company would easily finance double what we have.

JC5188
11-22-16, 08:18
Was on per diem for a year and determined to blow some of it in 2009.

Almost pulled then trigger on a 2004 911 GT3 in the $60k ballpark. Glad I didn't, the payments would have sucked. Ended up with a nice 04 Z06 and glad I did it.

As an aside, I "hid" that Z from a girl I dated, not because I was worried she was a gold digger but more from embarrassment. Corvettes are old white guy cars and I'm not. lol

The Z is an enthusiasts car. Not an old mans car. Unless that old man is Dan Gurney.

Big A
11-22-16, 08:31
If I had rockstar money, I'd drive a semi loaded up with Lambos, a briefcase of pre-signed Presidential pardons, two girls half my age, and a 240. Blasting Def Leppard and Van Halen everywhere I went.

Just to upset people

Yeah, If I had stoopid **** you money I'd buy a brand new Escalade, lift it and put a set of Super Swampers on it along with the loudest exhaust possible and then join a country club and drive it there all the time....just because...

Y'see Ray-Ray, I'm glad you said that so I don't have to. Every guy I know with a Corvette is old and bald or balding

But Corvettes...bleh

Psssh, whateves. If I had the money right now I would have a C7 Grand Sport Z07 in the garage.

See, the reason Corvettes get such a bad rap as the old man car or mid life crisis car is because dudes who had been driving the sensible car all their lives finally get the kids out the house and now they extra money and want to recapture some of their youth that has long since past them by. And the sad part is these old farts buy al the damned chromed plastic stick on shit that they can find to put on their Vettes, and the cars are all automatics too. But I know 3 people that own Corvettes all below the age of 40 all with a wife and kids.

Averageman
11-22-16, 08:36
If someone isn't saving for retirement, kids college, or paying off the house early, it's probably because of the car payment.

I would have to agree. As a guy in my mid fifties, I would rather put a grand or more away a month in my 401K and drive a Tacoma than to contemplate a future where dinner is Cat Food on a Ritz Cracker while sitting on a Park Bench in the rain. The only upside to the Cat Food diet is the cheap wine you wash it down with.

Rayrevolver
11-22-16, 09:11
The Z is an enthusiasts car. Not an old mans car. Unless that old man is Dan Gurney.

No doubt. And the C5Z is still the performance bargain today as it was 8 years ago. If I had $20k laying around I would buy another 2004 Z with low miles and flog it.

But I think I said it in another thread, you have to be on your game when pushing it in the corners. I can understand how people wad these things in single car crashes.

Hated to sell it, but bought a house and needed a truck. Even the wife liked driving it!

_Stormin_
11-22-16, 09:36
Almost pulled then trigger on a 2004 911 GT3 in the $60k ballpark.
Should have bought it. That same car now in good condition is crossing $80k... 911's are one of those cars where the right ones have a value best displayed with a parabola. There are a few cars out there that function like this. The Porsche is probably the most affordable of them. (Though if you picked up a MkIV Supra or a FD RX7 at the right time, you're experiencing similar appreciation.)

Eurodriver
11-22-16, 09:52
Cars are the biggest thing Americans buy that go down in value. New cars lose most of their value in 3-5 years. Give the culture of expensive cars and car payments, they are the biggest financial mistake most people make.

I'm weird. I think putting things on payments is a bad idea. I have no problem with nice, expensive cars. I'm just not going to put my family in jeopardy so I can enjoy my commute. I think we have nice cars, but I can afford the cost of depreciation, and the car company would easily finance double what we have.

Who said anything about payments?

JusticeM4
11-22-16, 10:10
Depends on how much you have in the bank, or how much you are willing to pay (or work) for the car. I probably wouldn't pay more than $200k for an exotic car if I had the dough.

I have a friend who worked with me in the ER a few years ago who told me he worked everyday for an entire year to save up and buy a classic Mustang. I think he wanted to save like $50k in one year.

Texas42
11-22-16, 11:03
Who said anything about payments?

Technically a separate issue, but most people who get to car value of 50-80% of their income don't pay cash.

JusticeM4
11-22-16, 11:13
There's nothing wrong with car payments if you can afford it and make the monthly payments on time. It will also help build credit.

Now if you can't afford it or miss payments, that's a different story.

What's worse is leasing cars. You're basically throwing money away..

Ron3
11-22-16, 11:16
I enjoy driving and have a long commute. It's a mix of 80 mph (with traffic, passing and getting passed) and stop and go. I want/need a good performing vehicle. It also needs to be reliable.

So I'm not driving something with 150 miles on it. I may sell my car when it nears 100k. Cars don't just have "the wheels fall off" with high miles. They just surprise you with breakdowns, leaks, noises, and things stop working. After two or three pricey repairs in a couple years you realize you could have been paying for a newer car. And those repair bills will just keep coming on that old car. You never "catch up".

Buy a car with cash or low (under 2%) or no financing charge. Drive it until you don't trust it or after the 2nd expensive repair. Then sell it and get something younger.

For some people who don't enjoy driving and have a 5 mile 45 mph commute in a nice place it doesn't matter what they drive.

My commute involves high speeds, travel through bad places, multiple daily wrecks with injuries and multiple a week fatalities.

I need a good handling, reliable car with new saftey features. It helps that I enjoy driving a good performing car anyway.

It is a shame to see it get damaged from road debris and such all the time. And every commute feels like a dice roll if it gets destroyed. Pretty much feels like mad max out there. (Not the most recent one, haven't seen it. Heard bad things about it)

To answer the op question. I think under $35k can buy a lot of car. $50k would be extravagant. More than that is probably just burning "fun" or "look at me" money. Over $75k definitely is.

Ron3
11-22-16, 11:34
I'd like a corvette. Problem is they are a "status" car like it or not and bring unwanted attention. I don't want to be a "corvette guy" I just want the Performance.

Also, they are made by GM with no more care than what goes into whatever GM sells that's priced under $16k.

Eurodriver
11-22-16, 13:13
Also, they are made by GM with no more care than what goes into whatever GM sells that's priced under $16k.

This is always a huge problem with domestic cars.

I would really love a Mustang GT500. In fact I almost bought one. 650hp for $40k like 2014/5 mode year? No brainer.

But the same guy making the Mustang and designing the plastic trim is doing it for the Fiesta. There's a reason a 410 HP Mustang GT is only like $33k new :rolleyes:

Ryno12
11-22-16, 17:12
I'd like a corvette. Problem is they are a "status" car like it or not and bring unwanted attention. I don't want to be a "corvette guy" I just want the Performance.

I'm not sure that's really a fair statement. Vettes are built in their own plant in Bowling Green & to the best of my knowledge, nothing else is built there. So it's not like the employees that build Corvettes are also building a $16k Chevy Cruze.

soulezoo
11-22-16, 17:24
I'm not sure that's really a fair statement. Vettes are built in their own plant in Bowling Green & to the best of my knowledge, nothing else is built there. So it's not like the employees that build Corvettes are also building a $16k Chevy Cruze.

Having had 2 vettes in my time, an '86 and a 2000, I would say a 2016 Cruze is better built. By far. I won't go into the stories, too much typing.
That said, this generation of vettes is the first to have any real "quality " built in. I would buy a new Grand Sport or Z06.

C-grunt
11-22-16, 22:52
GM brought in a guy who was in charge of Audi interiors to do the C7 vette. My buddies C7 Z06 has a nice interior. As nice as his outgoing M3? No. But the difference isn't that dramatic.

Texas42
11-23-16, 04:58
There's nothing wrong with car payments if you can afford it and make the monthly payments on time. It will also help build credit.

Now if you can't afford it or miss payments, that's a different story.

What's worse is leasing cars. You're basically throwing money away..

Able to afford it means different things to different people. In my book means writing a check and not effecting my other financial goals.

The presumption with car payments is that you won't have a job loss, or major life event that will prevent you from paying. +70% of Americans have a major financial event every decade, and most cannot afford a $5000 emergency without credit or selling something.

Back to the topic, I can't imagine buying a $60k car, but if your net worth can take the loss in value, then who am I to tell others what they spend their money on.

Ryno12
11-23-16, 05:33
Having had 2 vettes in my time, an '86 and a 2000, I would say a 2016 Cruze is better built. By far. I won't go into the stories, too much typing.
That said, this generation of vettes is the first to have any real "quality " built in. I would buy a new Grand Sport or Z06.

You really just compared an '86 & '00 vehicle to a 2016?? Regardless of the model, how is that a fair comparison?

My 1978 Blazer isn't built as nice as my 2014 Yukon Denali either. Shocker...

Eurodriver
11-23-16, 05:51
Able to afford it means different things to different people. In my book means writing a check and not effecting my other financial goals.

The presumption with car payments is that you won't have a job loss, or major life event that will prevent you from paying. +70% of Americans have a major financial event every decade, and most cannot afford a $5000 emergency without credit or selling something.

Back to the topic, I can't imagine buying a $60k car, but if your net worth can take the loss in value, then who am I to tell others what they spend their money on.

Assuming you save more than the car depreciates your net worth would not decrease at all ;)

Big A
11-23-16, 08:21

You really just compared an '86 & '00 vehicle to a 2016?? Regardless of the model, how is that a fair comparison?

Ima need some pics of that.

You should just let them revel in their ignorance.

Eurodriver
11-23-16, 08:26

You should just let them revel in their ignorance.

I'd argue that a 1978 Blazer is way nicer than a 1999 Blazer. FYI. :cool:

Ryno12
11-23-16, 08:38

I'll have to scan the picture off my moms fridge. That's pre-digital era.
It wasn't pretty... neither was my mullet.

You're probably right. Not much good came out of the automotive industry from the eighties to the 2000's.

Big A
11-23-16, 13:03

While I could easily rock either of these,
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h223/kristiankohn/Truck4-18-09002.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/09/9b/3a/099b3aa3254a704a4b74c91e86dbdde3.jpg

I think all 3 of us would agree that these are where it's at,
http://usedfromusa.com/img/1974-chevy-k5-blazer-4x4-frame-on-restoration-2.jpg

I'll have to scan the picture off my moms fridge. That's pre-digital era.
It wasn't pretty... neither was my mullet.

You're probably right. Not much good came out of the automotive industry from the eighties to the 2000's.

Ah, the "isn't" in your post made me assume it was a ride you currently had. And I agree, very few remarkable cars came out in the 80's-early 2000's, especially on the domestic side.

ClearedHot
11-23-16, 13:24
Should have bought it. That same car now in good condition is crossing $80k... 911's are one of those cars where the right ones have a value best displayed with a parabola. There are a few cars out there that function like this. The Porsche is probably the most affordable of them. (Though if you picked up a MkIV Supra or a FD RX7 at the right time, you're experiencing similar appreciation.)

Those MKIV Supras (especially the 6 speeds) keep going up in price. Had an opportunity to buy a one owner, bone stock '95 Supra TT for $21k a few years ago, and passed on it because it was auto. Still kicking myself for that one.

soulezoo
11-23-16, 13:30

You missed the context completely.

soulezoo
11-23-16, 13:33
I prefer the '70 Blazer. Rag top with either the small block 400 or the big block 454.

Ryno12
11-23-16, 13:39
I think all 3 of us would agree that these are where it's at,
http://usedfromusa.com/img/1974-chevy-k5-blazer-4x4-frame-on-restoration-2.jpg

The 70's era Chevy truck body styles are some of my all time favorite. Although I also dig the early 2k & present models too.

That '78 was beast though, let me tell ya...

Pilot1
11-23-16, 14:10
I prefer the '70 Blazer. Rag top with either the small block 400 or the big block 454.

That was the K5. I liked them too, and I think they also came with a removable hard top.

Big A
11-23-16, 16:14
That was the K5. I liked them too, and I think they also came with a removable hard top.
Yes, they did have a removable hard top. 1969-72 the top came off from the windshield, 73-91 it was only from the cab back.

JusticeM4
11-24-16, 08:20

Yes, being able to afford something means different things to everyone based on their situation and financial status/stability.

Ideally a person should not buy a car that has a $800 monthly payment if they only make $600/month. But for a person who is financially stable, makes $2k+/month, and has available assets/funds set aside for emergencies, then it is doable.

What's better is if you can pay for a vehicle in cash outright. The problem is that would you really put $30k cash into a new car that depreciates as soon as you drive it of the lot? No. You are better of putting your money in other stable investments.