PDA

View Full Version : Kong: Skull Island

Firefly
11-19-16, 07:05
I am cautiously optimistic but I saw a Trailer for this and I wanna see it.

Far as I can figure it is the Vietnam War vs King Kong. Something I no fooling dreamt of since I was a kid.

Dudes in OGs with A1s and M79s, Walter Sobchack, Chest Rockwell, Hueys with gun turrets, a dude with an AKM, daisy cutters, and other such things.

I dont really know or care why they are on Skull Island....I just know it looks bad ass to see dudes with LAWS rockets and M79s trying to murder King Kong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAbI4w95cTE

Averageman
11-19-16, 07:48
It appeals to my inner nine year old.
I cant wait!

SteyrAUG
11-19-16, 23:56
OK, I'm there.

Looks a little over the top but hey screw it, 1933 King Kong is one of my favorite films of all time and this seems like an improvement over the Peter Jackson experiment. Looks a little CGI heavy but no avoiding that with modern monster films, just the way it goes.

I hate that they made the natives peaceful, the vicious "sacrifice everyone to Kong" natives in Jacksons films were about the only thing he got right. Well that and casting Naomi Watts.

Probably skip the theater as I don't need to share the experience with 30 screaming retards, but the DVD will probably be a keeper. Hope it isn't as bad as Jurassic Park II.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-20-16, 00:21
The first trailers looked like Godzilla meets Apocalypse Now. Pretty interesting. The latest ones are looking a lot goofier.

https://youtu.be/FEGNZETcuAk

John C Reilly? REally?

SteyrAUG
11-20-16, 01:21
The first trailers looked like Godzilla meets Apocalypse Now. Pretty interesting. The latest ones are looking a lot goofier.

https://youtu.be/FEGNZETcuAk

John C Reilly? REally?

I know. At least it ain't Jack Black...again.

Honu
11-20-16, 01:50
love the fact I do not need to go to theaters anymore cause they come out on the internet so quick these days and with netflix and amazon etc... wont be long :)

Firefly
11-20-16, 12:36
Meh, I don't care. It's like someone went back in time and asked 7 year old me what movie I wanted to see and they took careful notes and this is what they came up with.

I don't mind John C. Reilly. I'm expecting a good B movie built around rock music and guys from the Vietnam War era trying to kill King Kong.

Ultimately they won't because these guys made Godzilla 2014 and this is to set up a new Godzilla vs King Kong.

FWIW I liked Godzilla 2014. It got a bit talky and whatnot but it had Godzilla tearing up a city or two.

Just play CCR, have a bunch of Vietnam era Joes killing up natives and King Kong. Show some bewbs. Toss in a few one liners and I am good.

Spiffums
11-20-16, 16:53
Meh, I don't care. It's like someone went back in time and asked 7 year old me what movie I wanted to see and they took careful notes and this is what they came up with.

I don't mind John C. Reilly. I'm expecting a good B movie built around rock music and guys from the Vietnam War era trying to kill King Kong.

Ultimately they won't because these guys made Godzilla 2014 and this is to set up a new Godzilla vs King Kong.

FWIW I liked Godzilla 2014. It got a bit talky and whatnot but it had Godzilla tearing up a city or two.

Just play CCR, have a bunch of Vietnam era Joes killing up natives and King Kong. Show some bewbs. Toss in a few one liners and I am good.

So play Run Through The Jungle while Kong chases them down, Bad Moon Rising as they head into the island for the 1st time and some thing sad when Kong gets it.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-20-16, 17:48
Just play CCR, have a bunch of Vietnam era Joes killing up natives and King Kong. Show some bewbs.

Brie Larson for the win...

Firefly
11-20-16, 17:59
Brie Larson for the win...

Indeed. She was the high point of Scott Pilgrim for me. She sang Black Sheep better than Metric.

I dunno who the little asian looking girl is but in trailer she is seen with an M16. She looks cute in a boyish way.

I hope they are making a 70s or 80s movie with modern effects. It seems that way.

SeriousStudent
11-20-16, 18:24
I hope Samuel L Jackson has a M-79 with the initials "BMF" carved into the stock.

Firefly
11-20-16, 18:34
I hope Samuel L Jackson has a M-79 with the initials "BMF" carved into the stock.

Part of me likes to think he is reprising the his guy from Rules of Engagement. They had on Army unit patches, but still.

I like to think that.

Circle_10
11-20-16, 18:53
I'm going to guess that after a series of madcap comic misunderstandings that initially pit Kong against the US personnel, they end up joining forces against the "Skullcrawlers" in the latter part of the film.

Firefly
11-20-16, 18:59
I'm going to guess that after a series of madcap comic misunderstandings that initially pit Kong against the US personnel, they end up joining forces against the "Skullcrawlers" in the latter part of the film.

Probably.

King Kong doesn't die. This is to set up King Kong vs Godzilla.

I grew up on Toho movies and if it was released in the US, I had it on VHS.

I'll never forget the first time I saw Godzilla vs Gigan and Godzilla gets his throat cut and blood spurts everywhere.

But King Kong vs Godzilla had me pissed because while it was technically a draw....I wanted Godzilla to shove a tree up King Kong's ass.

Same with Freddy vs Jason. Waited a long tine and it ends in a draw.

They always end in a draw.

Circle_10
11-20-16, 19:16
Probably.

Same with Freddy vs Jason. Waited a long tine and it ends in a draw.

They always end in a draw.

Didn't that end with Jason walking out of a lake carrying freddy's severed head? Generally if someone is walking away from the fight with your decapitated head, it wasn't a draw.

Firefly
11-20-16, 19:39
Didn't that end with Jason walking out of a lake carrying freddy's severed head? Generally if someone is walking away from the fight with your decapitated head, it wasn't a draw.

Freddy's head winks and smiles implying he is alive and perhaps it is a dream.

I liked the proposed ending where Freddy and Jason both definitively die and end up in Hell and Pinhead asks what their problem is.

It almost happened too . I didnt mind Jay from Clerks being in it but the black girl was so annoying. Especially when she tries to taunt Freddy. It was lame. I wish they would recut The film and remove it. Also Kane Hodder should've been in it.

SteyrAUG
11-20-16, 19:53
King Kong doesn't die. This is to set up King Kong vs Godzilla.

I grew up on Toho movies and if it was released in the US, I had it on VHS.

Yep, yep and yep.

It's amazing to me how many times I discovered Toho films. First with monster movies, then with Samurai films and then through the beauty of MST3K.

The original King Kong vs. Godzilla might be the first monster movie of any kind that I ever saw. I think I was still in kindergarten when I saw it.

Firefly
03-18-17, 17:45
And it was good.

No bewbs but Brie Larson knows how to wear a tanktop.

It is a B movie in a good way.

Chest Rockwell steals the show a bit.

Sam Jackson says his usual spiel and has an M14 with a Leatherwood scope (but a modernish reticle).

It has CCR, King Kong, and Vietnam Era Joes.

My only regret is not being 7 again. But I liked it all the same.

Straight Shooter
03-18-17, 20:08
SCREW Sam Jackson, Reilly and all the other libtard fvcks in this movie. They'll not get a dime of mine. I was stoked for it until I saw the cast. The main reason the last one sucked is that ATROCIOUS piece of shit Jack Black. If THAT fvck can be an actor...ANY old dipshit can.
Itll suck the same because of Reilly or whatever the hell his name is. And I give a fvck how you spell it.

Firefly
03-18-17, 20:44
FWIW Rage Against thevMachine are severe Communists but Battle of Los Angeles is still in my CD pile

FWIW they do the Vietnam Era guys respect. Even the WWII guys as well.

Cherry red Marlboros, Ace of Spade cards, and period correct gear.

Not into Asians, but Sally Chong with the porcelain skin, 70s clothes, and M16A1 wad fetching.

I read it was actually filmed in Vietnam despite not being set there.

Overall, it was good. Maybe I'm colored by my fetish for that era but it presented them in a good light.

I think Apocalypse Now with King Kong is unfair. More like We Were Soldiers with King Kong.

Sam Jackson pulls an Ahab here and I dunno where they got all that late 60s/early 70s equipment but it looks brand new.

I confess, I liked it more than John Wick and Logan (though Logan was better than John Wick)

I'd love for Steyr to help ID Chest Rockwell's sword. It looked like a murasame or some kind of pigsticker.

Meh...I'm over hollywood. Most are weirdoes. If I like something; I see it. If I don't, I don't.

I doubt any boycott does any good.

The only people I legit avoid are Shia lepuff, Sean Penn and Jane Fonda. I can deal with mouthiness and laugh it off, but people actually doing wrong dont got nothing I want to see.

Moose-Knuckle
03-19-17, 04:12
From all the trailers I've seen it looks phenomenal, really dig'n the era in which they set it in.

I'll wait to rent it however.

ETA: Wal-Mart has exclusive action figures and vehicles for this movie and I haven't seen anything that cool on store shelves since G.I. Joe.