PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen Street Kings?

MarshallDodge
09-13-08, 14:19
I heard the movie was OK but there is a lot of good gun action:
http://content.foxsearchlight.com/videos/node/2571

ddemis
09-13-08, 20:23
Yes I saw it and Keanu Reeves was gangster but the plot was to predictable. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would only give it a 7. Training Day was much better.

MarshallDodge
09-13-08, 21:21
I am not a huge Keanu fan but were the shootout scenes worth it?

Training Day was much better.
That was a good movie.

Fringe
09-15-08, 10:34
Training Day. Great movie. First time I saw it, I did not like it, but I have seen it 10 times since and every time it just gets better. I love the tone set at the beginning and the seriousness throughout. The lack of music and the erie sounds that replace it are awesome too.
Training Day, what a day.

rayray
09-16-08, 12:35
I rented Street Kings last night. I really enjoyed this film, very well done.

Spade
09-16-08, 12:39
pretty entertaining movie all in all

Dennis
09-16-08, 19:49
A bit too over the top as far as the "bad cops", but pretty good overall. I liked his use of the Harries technique as well as his J-Frame backup. Unfortunately, I know all too well about guys leaving their primary gun in the car on a regular basis...

The quick shot of his house was cool too with the living room given over to weights, heavy bag, swords, and gun cleaning! I'm relegated to the garage.

Dennis.

Best line "What happened to just beating the s*** outta the bad guys?"

andre3k
09-21-08, 19:34
Saw it at the movies, well done. Love the wall of money.

DANGER CLOSE
09-21-08, 20:05
well this movie piqued my curiosity, so i went to wallyworld to buy it, watched it, and have to say that it was a badass movie. i liked it better than training day. sure its a bit stretched, but it is hollywood. going to watch it with the CO tonight.:D

sbiggs
09-22-08, 18:48
I saw this the other night and thought it was pretty good. It seemed like a movie version of the "Shield" TV show on FX, (Of which I am a fan :D)

Abraxas
09-22-08, 21:21
I saw it, and I thought it was great. As far as entertainment goes. Though it will never be accused of anything more.

maximus83
09-23-08, 02:15
The acting, plot, etc., were not super appealing to me. But like others said, the action was good.

I also thought this movie was good in one other unusual respect: the gun action in the move was pretty realistic compared to your typical Hollywood fare. I know for a fact that Keanu got some actual training with live-fire pistols and a tactical trainer for the movie; there were some videos online about it.

Here are a couple of examples where the move portrayed realistic details about guns or gunfights:

* The Korean shootout: Keanu uses his S&W 4506, and note that he fires off a realistic number of shots (10, I think?) and then actually reloads. Compare to other 1911-type movies like "Last Man Standing," where Bruce Willis sometimes gets 20 or 30 shots out of each of his 1911's before reloads.;)

* Also in the Korean shootout: Keanu follow pretty good firing and room-clearing techniques. Uses a good standard 2-handed grip on his .45, puts at least 2 shots center-of-mass into most of the attackers, etc.

* Later in the apartment shootout with Fremont and Coates, Keanu uses his pistol-mounted light to blind one of the bad cops before he shoots him.

* There were quite a few interesting guns used in the movie, including several cops carrying 1911's. At one point Keanu uses a Rock River 1911. Here's a site (http://www.imfdb.org/index.php?title=Street_Kings) that lists all the guns in Street Kings, and from this I got the following summary of where the various guns appear in the movie. BTW, if you ever want to check out a past movie and what guns appeared in it, this site is one of the best references I've found for that purpose. I've had a number of movies where I wondered what kind of gun was being used, and just about every time, this site has given me the answer:

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php?title=Category:Gun

Inventory of all the guns used in Street Kings (I also put this list on forums.1911forum.com recently:

* 1911's used: There are several...
- the pearly-handled thing under the couch cushions at the Korean house
- A Rock River Arms NM Hardball w/ adj. target sights, used by Keanu in several scenes including at the climax of the movie.
- Full-size and commander 1911 variants carried by other PD members, possibly some Kimbers, but uncertain.
* S&W 4506 (the opening shootout)
* Submachine guns: an M3, and a S&W M76 (or a clone) used by Coates and Fremont when they kill Washington at convenience store.
* Kahr K9: Also at the Korean house, he puts it in a dead guy's hand, and fires off a couple shots.
* Colt Python: Fired by one of the Koreans.
* Browning M2: In Keanu's trunk, sold to the Koreans.
* Beretta 92FS: Carried by Washington, drawn on Reeves in the store.
* Glock (possibly a 21, not sure) used by Diskant, the youngster cop who gets killed accompanying Keanu to the apartment.
* Ithaca 37 shotgun: used by a Korean in the shootout.
* Mossberg 590 compact cruiser: Used by Coates in the final apartment shootout.

DarrinD
09-23-08, 12:10
Training Day. Great movie. First time I saw it, I did not like it, but I have seen it 10 times since and every time it just gets better. I love the tone set at the beginning and the seriousness throughout. The lack of music and the erie sounds that replace it are awesome too.
Training Day, what a day.

Personally, I thought Training Day was horrible. . . . one of Denzel's worst movies. He should have won the Academy Award Best Actor for Man on Fire . . .
but that's just me: I guess the corrupt cop thing, and the corrupt group of the "Wise Men" was just too much. And, for me, movies that stretch credulity can still be good imo if they are entertaining but I didnt' find it entertaining either.

What about Don Cheadle's movie . . . what is it: Traitor? Heard it was great and heard it was over-politicized.

SpartanArms
09-23-08, 19:21
Street Kings was pretty good I guess. In some ways I liked it more than Training Day, and in other ways I liked it less. I liked that there was more shooting/action in SK than TD but I absolutely despise Forest Whitaker so it was kind of a trade off. Also, what the hell is up with putting all these rappers in "Crime/Police" genre movies.:confused: After seeing Snoop and Dre in Training Day, then there was Common and T.I. in American Gangster, now there is The Game, Common, and some other guy in Street Kings. I would prefer to see more unknown or lesser known actors in movies like Ridley Scott did with Blackhawk Down. Overall it's worth a fiver to rent from Blockbuster.:D