PDA

View Full Version : First AR-15

Ben Freebandz
11-20-16, 16:51
Hey all. After a few months of deliberating and searching, I purchased my first AR-15. A Bravo Company Manufacturing RECCE 16, with a 13" KMR-A rail, chambered in 300 BLK. I'm active military, so I've got plenty of experience with 5.56, but I'm curious about this caliber -- may do a barrel swap if I'm not a fan.

This thread is primarily to track my 'build' progress, publish what I want to get out of the rifle and get some external feedback/advice from some seasoned users.

This rifle will act as a 'battle blaster', as it were. Range toy, training rifle, etcetera.

First on the list is a good set of iron sight. I'm thinking Magpul MBUS Pros with a Blitzkrieg insert for night fire, maybe an ASO bag next if it'll fit broken down inside.

C-grunt
11-20-16, 18:11
300 Blk is a great round but can get a bit expensive for high round count training days.

I have the MBUS Pro front sight and it's a quality piece of gear. I got a great price on a KAC 200-600 rear sight so I never bought the Pro rear. Ive never heard of this Blitzkrieg insert, what is it?

Ben Freebandz
11-20-16, 18:29
The Blitzkrieg insert is a tritium(?) insert for the front sight post, making it much easier to see in general, but especially at night.

My only concern is any possible distance shooting I wanna use it for. Anything upwards of 600 meters proves difficult, I've heard.

Kdubya
11-20-16, 18:55
The Blitzkrieg insert is a tritium(?) insert for the front sight post, making it much easier to see in general, but especially at night.

My only concern is any possible distance shooting I wanna use it for. Anything upwards of 600 meters proves difficult, I've heard.

If you're planning to shoot out to 600 with irons, have a look at the Magpul Pro LR. Same great sight as the original Pro, but with the added benefit of a ranging adjustment. Although I'm not sure how precise it will be for a 300 BLK; as the feature was developed around 5.56 ballistics. Sounds like you've got a nice rifle coming together. Looking forward to you updates.

Ben Freebandz
11-20-16, 20:54
If you're planning to shoot out to 600 with irons, have a look at the Magpul Pro LR. Same great sight as the original Pro, but with the added benefit of a ranging adjustment. Although I'm not sure how precise it will be for a 300 BLK; as the feature was developed around 5.56 ballistics. Sounds like you've got a nice rifle coming together. Looking forward to you updates.

I don't plan on going out farther than 600 meters as of right now, but if I ever wanna try to stretch the distance of this blaster, I'll probably look into the LR.

C-grunt
11-21-16, 01:13
600 will be pushing it but definitely not impossible. Especially with a 16 inch barrel squeezing that last bit of velocity out. If I remember correctly there is a semi match 125 grain round that has decent BC that should reach out there.

Kdubya
11-21-16, 05:15
I don't plan on going out farther than 600 meters as of right now, but if I ever wanna try to stretch the distance of this blaster, I'll probably look into the LR.

Sorry. Maybe I wasn't articulate enough. The LR has ranging adjustments from 200-600; in 50m increments. It's not really set up for anything beyond the 600m range.

Eurodriver
11-21-16, 05:34
600 will be pushing it but definitely not impossible. Especially with a 16 inch barrel squeezing that last bit of velocity out. If I remember correctly there is a semi match 125 grain round that has decent BC that should reach out there.

I'm not aware of any 300BLK that stays supersonic that far, but there may be as I got out of that game a year or so ago. However, even if it does the trajectory is going to be like a mortar. Certainly not going to be possible to dial that much elevation with backup iron sights. I doubt even the A4 CH has enough.

556BlackRifle
11-21-16, 09:11
Great choice in going with BCM but 300 BO is not a good cartridge for long range shooting. At 600M you're looking at about -12 ft drop. Also, the nice thing about 5.56 is the price of ammo. You can buy good quality ammo for 25 - 30 cents per round which is about 1/4 the cost of 300 BO.

Thanks for your service and good luck!

C-grunt
11-21-16, 13:24
I'm not aware of any 300BLK that stays supersonic that far, but there may be as I got out of that game a year or so ago. However, even if it does the trajectory is going to be like a mortar. Certainly not going to be possible to dial that much elevation with backup iron sights. I doubt even the A4 CH has enough.

Yeah I wasn't thinking of irons when I wrote my reply. I think Travis Haley was shooting those 125s out to like 700 yards with his SBR with good success. So either they stay supersonic out to that range or they handle transonic really well.

F-Trooper05
11-22-16, 00:32

Tritium sights on rifles suck, FYI.

Kdubya
11-22-16, 07:43
Tritium sights on rifles suck, FYI.

I'd have to agree. Although my time behind a rifle with tritium sights is rather limited.

OP. If wanting a "catchier" FSP, I'd still go with Blitzkrieg. But, would opt for the photo luminescent one; likely the chevron. It'll be brighter than the tritium, and quicker to acquire. My .308 wears a scope with a chevron. It's incredibly precise at distance and works about as well as an Eotech reticle at close range. Yes, the photo luminescent will need to be charged. But if you're serious about this particular rifle being a go to HD weapon, you can store it somewhere with a light source.

Ben Freebandz
11-22-16, 08:12
I'm considering opting for a barrel swap. Ideally, a 14.5 5.56 barrel with a pinned and welded flash hider (I'm not 21 yet, so I can't do an SBR). Weighing the pros and cons right now, but until then, I'm gonna keep the 300 BLK barrel.

https://www.blitzkriegcomponents.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MPSFS08LG

This is the front sight post in question. Apparently it's just a luminescent strip, not tritium.

HCrum87hc
11-22-16, 12:00
If you plan to shoot this thing a lot, definitely switch out the barrel, or get another upper. I also would recommend a 16" barrel over 14.5" if you're going to pin and weld. I just switched from a 14.5 to 16, because I wanted to change the handguard, but I couldn't because of the attached flash hider. I'd have been better off starting with the 16" barrel. You really aren't giving up anything.

Second, I have a suppressed .300blk SBR, and that's the best way to go for that round. I love that rifle, but it's a niche gun for me. I have it set up for home defense, and I use it for shorter range hunting with a few range days here and there. My 5.56 gets shot for everything else, especially any training or high round count days. If you're wanting to shoot past 200-300 yds and shoot a lot, you'll be better served by the 5.56. Good choice going with BCM, regardless of the round.

Kdubya
11-22-16, 12:05
I'm considering opting for a barrel swap. Ideally, a 14.5 5.56 barrel with a pinned and welded flash hider (I'm not 21 yet, so I can't do an SBR). Weighing the pros and cons right now, but until then, I'm gonna keep the 300 BLK barrel.

https://www.blitzkriegcomponents.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MPSFS08LG

This is the front sight post in question. Apparently it's just a luminescent strip, not tritium.

I think most here will tell you to skip the 14.5" and move up to a 16" if it's not an SBR. Lost velocity, fewer muzzle device choices, added difficulty if wanting to swap handguards, etc. are a side effect of the shorter barrel. For many, the slightly shorter length just isn't worth the downside. You're the one that will be shooting it, and paying for it. So set it up how you want.

Regarding the FSP, what you've linked is what I was referring to; except in the chevron configuration. Post vs Chevron is really up to the user. So, go with whatever you think will fit your eye better. But I'd take the luminescent paint over tritium when it comes to a rifle.

Pappabear
11-22-16, 14:03
Yea, suck it up and buy another upper, if funds are possible. Keep the BO, barebones and trick the 5.56.

Good luck.

PB